Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:57 pm 
Board Emeritus

Wow.

So, if any of you have Netflix streaming (which, I have to say, is a bargain at $8/month), they've just released what I believe is their fifth original content series, Orange is the New Black. I guess it's loosely based on a memoir of the same name, by Piper Kerman. The show is headed by Jenji Kohan, whom was the mastermind behind Showtime's Weeds (which was, for my money, one of the best written TV shows in years).

The show is ostensibly about Piper Chapman, who 10 years earlier had begrudgingly helped her then lesbian lover with drug related money laundering. Since then, she had moved on and gotten engaged, but the past caught up with her and she is sent to prison for 15 months. But it's based around an ensemble cast, and each episode cuts back and forth between the present time, and flashbacks. So over the course of the series, you get to know each inmate's back story. There are so many levels going on in this show, obviously it examines prison culture and the interaction between guards and inmates, but also sexuality, sexual and gender identity, ethnicity, age, corruption, etc, etc, etc. It's really firing on all cylinders.

I think it's incredibly audacious to make a show about prisoners which casts criminals in a sympathetic light. All the characters are humans existing in a system which is trying its hardest to deny them humanity. Cannot recommend highly enough.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:02 pm 
Policy Wonk

Thanks Jlee, I'll check it out.