Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:15 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Cubs NLDS
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:08 am 
Board Emeritus

Pretty much anything can happen in a baseball game at this level. But...the Cubs have won both games against the Nationals' aces. That's something no team wants to see happening in a playoff series. Particularly a best of five series.

So we shall see what happens today, if the weather permits.

Post subject: Re: Cubs NLDS
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:17 pm 
Board Emeritus

NDLS sounds like a disease. Is it bad?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:42 pm 
Policy Wonk

lol at me. I had to look it up. It's the pennant series.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:00 pm 
Board Emeritus

Favorite tweet during a crazy game 5 so far...
Quote:
What's really missing from this game is the Cubs scoring on a batted ball that strikes & kills a honey badger that wandered onto the field.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:14 am 
Board Emeritus

So...Nationals fans are whining about the "violation of the spirit" of replay video checks...that it's not supposed to be for things like the pick-off at first base where the runner's foot came off the bag. But even more...when Baez' bat ticked the mask of the Nationals' catcher on the passed ball where the Cubs scored a run.

Really? We're pissing and moaning about missed calls...when digital equipment has confirmed that only 84% of all ball/strike calls over the course of a season are correct, and when it's a close pitch where the ball touches one of the four lines in the strike zone the accuracy goes down to 66%. So 50 of the average 300 pitches in a MLB game are missed calls. How do these missed calls affect each game? Way...way more than a missed pick-off call or the once every 5 years missed interference call when a bat hits a catcher's helmet gear. That's in the neigborhood of 50,000 bad ball/strick calls in a MLB season. No wonder the players are so pissed off at the umpires all the time. I was pissed off at the umpires all the time when I was pitching and batting playing little league, pony league, and high school ball. Even more pissed off the two summers I played in a couple of semi-pro leagues around Chicago, when I was in college. I'm gonna say when I pitched semi-pro in the mid-60's almost half the breaking balls I threw that were in the zone were call balls. It was nuts.

The technology is available to insure that every stinking ball/strike call is accurate. The home plate umpire can call hit batters, foul tips, dropped third strikes, foul/fair, and all the other stuff they do. Leave the balls and strikes to the sophisticated computer systems.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:28 am 
Policy Wonk

The ball was already passed; the back swing hitting the catcher and barely doing so had no impact on the play.

Curious situation, though. According to the rules, looks like it should have been a dead ball after the back swing contact to the catcher's face mask.

What I find curious is that such a rule does not instead penalize the catcher for being where he is not allowed to be, interfering with the swing of the batter.

My two-cents: good no-call by the umpire, because it would certainly have been unfair for the Nationals to benefit from their own mistakes, passed ball and interfering with the batter.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:58 pm 
Board Emeritus

The ball was already passed; the back swing hitting the catcher and barely doing so had no impact on the play.

Curious situation, though. According to the rules, looks like it should have been a dead ball after the back swing contact to the catcher's face mask.

What I find curious is that such a rule does not instead penalize the catcher for being where he is not allowed to be, interfering with the swing of the batter.

My two-cents: good no-call by the umpire, because it would certainly have been unfair for the Nationals to benefit from their own mistakes, passed ball and interfering with the batter.

Agreed...Baez' follow through was where it always is...the catcher leaned into it.