Watch sports? Play sports? Live Sports?

Discuss.

Moderators: plunderer, Bernie the union guy

ap215
Board Emeritus

MLB, MLBPA Agreed To New Sign-Stealing Rules

Post by ap215 »

MLB, MLBPA Agreed To New Sign-Stealing Rules

It seems that Major League Baseball would prefer to avoid a repeat of the Astros’ sign-stealing debacle, a scandal that only worsened when individual players escaped punishment due to a lack of a punitive framework and an exchange of immunity for information.

There’s a new structure for dealing with such matters, should they arise in the future, according to Evan Drellich of The Athletic (subscription link). MLB and the MLB Players Association have agreed to a series of rules that are designed to foreclose the round of controversy we’ve seen recently from the Astros and other teams.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/07/ ... rules.html

ZoWie
Board Emeritus

Re: MLB, MLBPA Agreed To New Sign-Stealing Rules

Post by ZoWie »

That's nice for the future, but the 2017 World Series remains the same in the records. The Commissioner's office should have vacated the national championship title for that year, and just had "None" in the records for all time.

Libertas
Board Emeritus

Post by Libertas »

ZoWie wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:54 pm
That's nice for the future, but the 2017 World Series remains the same in the records. The Commissioner's office should have vacated the national championship title for that year, and just had "None" in the records for all time.
God, where have I been. I guess I heard about this but know little about it and the changes proposed.

Astros are being thrown at I hear?

World Series? They cheated?

I wonder if their manager is/was a republican.
If you are a FLYNN defender you are a TRAITOR and dont talk to me, I am a patriot...

ZoWie
Board Emeritus

Post by ZoWie »

1. The Houston Astros cheated for at least the entire 2017 season, and possibly longer. They had some kind of camera view that let them intercept and decode the signals being given to the pitcher, then they banged on a trash can or something to get the info to their batters. They got hits from Dodger pitching in the World Series at a percentage that seemed superhuman. People were wondering why suddenly Dodger pitchers couldn't get anybody out, to the point where people running baseball had to look into it. Eventually the Commissioner investigated, got plenty of evidence, and penalized the team. However, he did not vacate the Series title. It's kind of a sore point in LA.

2. It's kind of disputed whether the Dodger pitcher threw at the Houston players on purpose, or some pitches got away from him. There are good reasons to support either answer. It probably depends on which team you like. It's that ambiguous.

Let's just say that nobody here felt a bit sorry for the Astros.

Libertas
Board Emeritus

Post by Libertas »

Like I said, the boss of that team HAS to be a fucking con.
If you are a FLYNN defender you are a TRAITOR and dont talk to me, I am a patriot...

Number6
Board Emeritus

Post by Number6 »

ZoWie wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:49 pm
1. The Houston Astros cheated for at least the entire 2017 season, and possibly longer. They had some kind of camera view that let them intercept and decode the signals being given to the pitcher, then they banged on a trash can or something to get the info to their batters. They got hits from Dodger pitching in the World Series at a percentage that seemed superhuman. People were wondering why suddenly Dodger pitchers couldn't get anybody out, to the point where people running baseball had to look into it. Eventually the Commissioner investigated, got plenty of evidence, and penalized the team. However, he did not vacate the Series title. It's kind of a sore point in LA.

2. It's kind of disputed whether the Dodger pitcher threw at the Houston players on purpose, or some pitches got away from him. There are good reasons to support either answer. It probably depends on which team you like. It's that ambiguous.

Let's just say that nobody here felt a bit sorry for the Astros.
I wonder if Bill Belichick was giving them cheating tips.
When you vote Left you vote right.

Number6
Board Emeritus

Post by Number6 »

ZoWie wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:54 pm
Perhaps MLB should put an asterisk (*) on their win explaining the team was found to be stealing signs.
When you vote Left you vote right.

ZoWie
Board Emeritus

Post by ZoWie »

That's acceptable too.

Sam Lefthand
Board Emeritus

Post by Sam Lefthand »

About every 3 or 4 miles driving around here I see a State of Jefferson sign proclaiming the place it is on, is sovereign.

In light of these new sign stealing rules do you suppose it would be alright to steal those State of Jefferson signs, thus unsovereigning those seedy weed lot places. Making it so that the Sheriff is everybody's sheriff.

Doremus Jessup
Political Junkie

Post by Doremus Jessup »

Number6 wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:12 pm
Perhaps MLB should put an asterisk (*) on their win explaining the team was found to be stealing signs.
For the true baseball fan the asterisk is there just like it’s there for Bonds, McGwire, and Sosa. MLB doesn’t need to act. Maris still holds the HR record. And even some suggest he should have an asterisk.