RadioFreeLiberal.com

Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:11 pm 
Board Emeritus

Like so many things in our country where a fair and reasonable profit has been replaced by greed this years NCAA tourney matchups are anything but fair. We have a situation where those schools that will produce the biggest TV ratings have been given a easier road to the final 8 and final 4.
Case in point Ohio State and North Carolina, both 6 seeds. Ohio State which doesn't have a large national TV audience when it comes to Basketball to reach the final 4 would theoretically have to defeat Dayton, Syracuse, Kansas and Florida.
While the UNC Tarholes also a 6 seed will have to defeat Providence, Iowa State, Ct or Villanova and Michigan State. A list of teams much easier.
Then we have the undefeated Wichita State Team which has been put in what pundits are calling the bracket of death. A small market team that is no longer a "cinderella" story the powers that be can't allow them to mess up the ratings. So they are in a bracket where they would have to beat Kentucky, Louisville and Duke.
The saddest thing about the entire deal is when the Director of the selection committee goes on talk shows and denies the obvious.

"within weeks of being rid of the likes of you, rid of every fucking one of you,we would begin to see what kind of country this ought to be" Ike Bana 6/14/18

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:20 pm 
Board Emeritus

I don't think you have any idea how the committee chooses what bracket teams will go in.

IF YOU DID, YOU'D KNOW THAT THAT THE BEST TEAM IN A TIER IS PLACED IN THE CITY CLOSEST TO IT'S HOME CITY.

Then the next team in that tier gets the closest bracket city to them until there is conflict. When there is a conflict (two teams far away or two teams that are equally close to one, but one is further away from one) the committee does whatever is most equitable for those teams considered together. The committee is first and foremost trying to create regional match-ups so that teams aren't flying back and fourth across the country. It's not about rigging the contest for a few. In fact, the NCAA probably profits most from Cinderella teams.

That's why ESPN could predict where the top 8 teams would be before the bracket was even announced. They knew who the teams were going to be and they knew how the committee goes about its business.

However, you just make it up as you go along and invent conspiracies without any context.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:38 pm 
Board Emeritus

Glenn just appears to be disgruntled about everything today. For my part, I'm going to be watching every single game I can. I have a few favorites, of course, but anybody who thinks beating "Providence, Iowa State, Ct [Connecticut] or Villanova and Michigan State" is going to be a cakewalk doesn't know basketball.
The former and present members of The Big East are always formidable. By the same token, Wichita State has a damned good chance of beating Duke and Kentucky - and possibly even Louisville.
I eat, drink, and breathe college basketball. Subscribe to SI and ESPN. Watch every game I can and actually study the strong and weak points of my top 25 teams (I can't be everywhere). Could I pick the winners in every bracket? No! Could I pick the Sweet Sixteen? Probably - actually, Most Likely. And it doesn't have as much to do with the hoopla surrounding their opponents as it does with my system of handicapping.
So, Glenn. Who do you like on Thursday?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:41 pm 
Board Emeritus

This year it is very transparent that they rigged the tourney to get better TV numbers. The final four will more than likely not be affected but the games leading up to the final four sure are. Esp UNC while there are no guarentees their path to the elite 8 is not very tough.

"within weeks of being rid of the likes of you, rid of every fucking one of you,we would begin to see what kind of country this ought to be" Ike Bana 6/14/18

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:09 pm 
Board Emeritus

They didn't rig it though. You just think they did. You just ignore the facts and claim it's a conspiracy based upon nothing but conjecture. Meanwhile, I related to you how it is ACTUALLY done. If you reverse engineered the brackets using that method, you'd see that's exactly how it was done. There is a system in place, with rules, and if there was a broad divergence from that system and the rules, with all the attentive, interested eyes, it would be immediately uncovered.

Your thread belongs in the tin foil hat forum. I'm asking that it be moved there.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:16 pm 
Board Emeritus

I'm sure it was some far left plot somehow....

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:23 pm 
Board Emeritus

Meanwhile, we await Glenn's Thursday picks.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:48 pm 
Board Emeritus

Meanwhile, we await Glenn's Thursday picks.

Here is my final 4 Florida, Arizona, Michigan State and Duke with Florida winning it all.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:53 pm 
Board Emeritus

They didn't rig it though. You just think they did. You just ignore the facts and claim it's a conspiracy based upon nothing but conjecture. Meanwhile, I related to you how it is ACTUALLY done. If you reverse engineered the brackets using that method, you'd see that's exactly how it was done. There is a system in place, with rules, and if there was a broad divergence from that system and the rules, with all the attentive, interested eyes, it would be immediately uncovered.

Your thread belongs in the tin foil hat forum. I'm asking that it be moved there.

http://www.examiner.com/article/ncaa-to ... t-of-death

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:46 pm 
Board Emeritus

I think we all should be rooting for my hometown team, the Wichita State Shockers to win it all, in sympathy to me, if nothing else. They are a liberal's dream team, no big star that carries everyone else - they do it by playing as a team. They have the greatest coach in the game, and I think they can do it. We liberals tend to root for the underdog.

The good thing about the bracket is, when they win, no one can say they didn't deserve it.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:51 pm 
Board Emeritus

So? That whole article notes that there is a bracket of death. There is often a "group of death" at the world cup. That's where the phrase comes from.

THAT DOES NOT MEAN THAT IT IS A CONSPIRACY. IT JUST MEANS THAT THE PROCESS RESULTS IN TOP HEAVY BRACKETS, IN THIS CASE, PRECISELY BECAUSE OF THE GEOGRAPHIC CONSIDERATIONS.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:52 pm 
Board Emeritus

Facts, facts, facts, facts.

Quote:
A number of complex rules govern the seeding process, so it is not as simple as merely following the S-curve, although that is the top priority according to the NCAA's rules.[4] The better a team is, the more priority they have in remaining close to home, but no team can actually play on its home court if it is hosting tournament games (generally, games are hosted on neutral courts, so this is not usually a problem). Sometimes a top team may be a short drive away from its games; in 2006 Villanova played its first and second round games in Philadelphia at an arena where they had played three games that year, one fewer than the four required for a site to be considered a "home court" for a team, and in 2002 the Pitt Panthers played their first and second round games in the city of Pittsburgh at Mellon Arena, which they used occasionally for home games. In the women's tournament, this criterion does not apply and a team that is hosting is automatically assigned its home arena, regardless of seed. Thus, occasionally, lower seeded teams will host a game. For example, in 2006 Old Dominion, although a 10th seed, played at its home court in the first round and also would have played there in the second round had the Lady Monarchs won that game.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NCAA_baske ... on_process

It's almost like there are rules and procedures being followed. It's almost like the 10 members of the selection committee chosen from a deliberately broad segment of NCAA College Basketball professions and levels have a system in place. It's almost like it isn't a conspiracy to harm glen's favorite college team, but just the result of a process.

Almost. But you'll never see glen admitting to that.

Of course, this process is duplicatable. The S curve can be determined by lay persons. If the brackets didn't match the rules, there would be grievances filed. But it's better to just pretend that you are a victim I guess. It's kinda like blaming the refs after a loss, if Ohio State doesn't win it all glen can blame the committee.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:07 pm 
Board Emeritus

So, Glenn, who do you like on Thursday?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:28 pm 
Board Emeritus

Glenn just appears to be disgruntled about everything today. For my part, I'm going to be watching every single game I can. I have a few favorites, of course, but anybody who thinks beating "Providence, Iowa State, Ct [Connecticut] or Villanova and Michigan State" is going to be a cakewalk doesn't know basketball.
The former and present members of The Big East are always formidable. By the same token, Wichita State has a damned good chance of beating Duke and Kentucky - and possibly even Louisville.
I eat, drink, and breathe college basketball. Subscribe to SI and ESPN. Watch every game I can and actually study the strong and weak points of my top 25 teams (I can't be everywhere). Could I pick the winners in every bracket? No! Could I pick the Sweet Sixteen? Probably - actually, Most Likely. And it doesn't have as much to do with the hoopla surrounding their opponents as it does with my system of handicapping.

glen suffers from AWMS (Angry White Man Syndrome) ;)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:12 am 
Policy Wonk

Why is glen picking the sports industry for rants against greed.

Those corporations going beyond "fair and reasonable profits" aren't subject to his wrath (eg: McDonalds, Walmart, etc).

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:39 pm 
Board Emeritus

Why is glen picking the sports industry for rants against greed.

Those corporations going beyond "fair and reasonable profits" aren't subject to his wrath (eg: McDonalds, Walmart, etc).

Glen has no problem with any business that makes exorbitant profits, even when they pay their employees dog sh*t and take public financing. That's just good business sense. There is no such thing as an unreasonable profit in his mind when it doesn't affect his sport's team. That's telling.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:13 pm 
Political Junkie

Did you sign up for the Buffet $Billion bracket?
Sounds as though your system has a good a chance as anyone's. I believe you can still sign up and submit your bracket until midnight on Thursday.

I must state that I'm not an avid college b-ball fan, so I don't know how my picks will fare. --Probably towards the bottom of the barrel would be my guess, but as they say, anything can happen.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:51 pm 
Board Emeritus

Location: Treasure Coast, Florida & Fairfield County, Connecticut

:arrow: So do I Sallie!! I am surprised that UConn was put as a #7 seed and Cinci whom Connecticut beat three times this year in conference is a #5. It is also is quite disconcerting that they would put three out of the four teams from the new American Athletic Conference in the same bracket!! Cinci, UConn and Memphis are all in the East bracket. And ESPN is not being too friendly to UConn now that they are in the tourney, saying that they don't see them beating St. Joseph to move onto the Sweet Sixteen. I remember when ESPN was just a local Connecticut outfit, and it put Bristol, Ct on the map, along with the Big East. Used to go to Lake Compounce Theme Park in Bristol when my kids were little.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:21 pm 
Board Emeritus

So, Glenn, who do you like on Thursday?

Texas Southern and Iowa
Last night I had St Mary's and NC State

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:24 pm 
Board Emeritus

Damn wait this is wens tomorrow is thurs [hey I am tired] FLA, PIT VCU, UCLE OHIO ST, SYRA,NMEX, KANS, VA, MEMPHIS, CINCY, MICH ST, UNC, IA ST, CT, VILA.
AZ, OKLAST, SD STATE, BAYLOR, CREIGHTON, OREGON, WISC, WIT STATE, KS STATE, STLOUIS, LOUISVILLE, IOWA, DUKE, TEXAS AND MICHIGAN

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:46 pm 
Policy Wonk

Glen has no problem with any business that makes exorbitant profits, even when they pay their employees dog sh*t and take public financing. That's just good business sense. There is no such thing as an unreasonable profit in his mind when it doesn't affect his sport's team. That's telling.

He does do selective outrage fairly well, and doesn't try to hide his hypocrisy.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:30 pm 
Board Emeritus

Damn wait this is wens tomorrow is thurs [hey I am tired] FLA, PIT VCU, UCLE OHIO ST, SYRA,NMEX, KANS, VA, MEMPHIS, CINCY, MICH ST, UNC, IA ST, CT, VILA.
AZ, OKLAST, SD STATE, BAYLOR, CREIGHTON, OREGON, WISC, WIT STATE, KS STATE, STLOUIS, LOUISVILLE, IOWA, DUKE, TEXAS AND MICHIGAN

Ooh, boy! Pretty much my picks as well:
Thursday, March 20:
Albany vs. Florida - Florida
Colorado vs. Pittsburgh - Pitt
Ohio State vs. Dayton - OSU
Syracuse vs. Western Michigan - Syr
Oklahoma vs. N. Dakota State - NDS
San Diego State vs. New Mexico State - SDS
Oregon vs. BYU - BYU
Wisconsin vs. American - Wisconsin.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:58 pm 
Political Junkie

Ooh, boy! Pretty much my picks as well:
Thursday, March 20:
Albany vs. Florida - Florida
Colorado vs. Pittsburgh - Pitt
Ohio State vs. Dayton - OSU
Syracuse vs. Western Michigan - Syr
Oklahoma vs. N. Dakota State - NDS
San Diego State vs. New Mexico State - SDS
Oregon vs. BYU - BYU
Wisconsin vs. American - Wisconsin.

Mine are close to yours as well.
Where we differ is I have
Dayton
Oklahoma
Oregon.

Guess as you state you're an avid fan and watch b-ball religiously, so to speak, I'm probably in trouble already--lol!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:48 pm 
Board Emeritus

Mine are close to yours as well.
Where we differ is I have
Dayton
Oklahoma
Oregon.

Guess as you state you're an avid fan and watch b-ball religiously, so to speak, I'm probably in trouble already--lol!

Just realized that I didn't list all the games being played tomorrow. I forgot to turn my paper over (hand-made two-sided in pencil on printer paper). To continue with my picks for Thursday, March 20th:
Cincinnati vs. Harvard - Cinci
Michigan State vs. Delaware - Mich. S
Connecticut vs. St. Joseph's - A hard one! I'm almost going to say St. Joe's here. They've been looking good lately.
Villanova vs. Milwaukee - 'Nova
St. Louis vs. North Carolina State - N.C.S.
Louisville vs. Manhattan - Louisville
Texas vs. Arizona - Another hard one. Love my horns, but Arizona's got some players. Going with my heart. Texas
Michigan vs. Wofford - Michigan

Don't think you're in trouble. Remember Florida Gulf Coast University Eagles in 2013? It's March Madness and some teams rise to the occasion - big time!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:05 pm 
Political Junkie

Just realized that I didn't list all the games being played tomorrow. I forgot to turn my paper over (hand-made two-sided in pencil on printer paper). To continue with my picks for Thursday, March 20th:
Cincinnati vs. Harvard - Cinci
Michigan State vs. Delaware - Mich. S
Connecticut vs. St. Joseph's - A hard one! I'm almost going to say St. Joe's here. They've been looking good lately.
Villanova vs. Milwaukee - 'Nova
St. Louis vs. North Carolina State - N.C.S.
Louisville vs. Manhattan - Louisville
Texas vs. Arizona - Another hard one. Love my horns, but Arizona's got some players. Going with my heart. Texas
Michigan vs. Wofford - Michigan

Don't think you're in trouble. Remember Florida Gulf Coast University Eagles in 2013? It's March Madness and some teams rise to the occasion - big time!

Yeah, it is definitely March Madness, but trying to "predict" the upsets does get very tricky.

Again, my bracket is pretty close to yours, but I have
Connecticutt
Arizona St

The remainder of my picks agrees with yours.

Guess we get to see what happens at the dance.

Good Luck!