Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Baseball's Back
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:54 pm 
Board Emeritus

You know it's Spring when the Boys of Summer begin a new season of Baseball.

Kicking off the season are the Dodgers vs. the Padres. The Dodgers played a couple season games earlier in Australia but tonight is really the first game of the season. Although I root for the Padres, I don't see them making the playoff considering they had the Dodgers and Giants to contend with.

I'm hoping to see some teams with smaller payrolls make the playoffs and play in the World Series.

Post subject: Re: Baseball's Back
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:58 pm 
Board Emeritus

If you needed a cue for baseball season, you could have also looked for the change in my avatar to the adorable Hank the Dog.

The Brew Crew is much improved but they have a lot of competition in the stacked NL Central that sent three teams to the playoffs last year. As always, it's going to come down to pitching. We are going to score a LOT of runs.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:25 am 
Policy Wonk

It's finally Next Year.

GO CUBS!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:04 am 
Policy Wonk

opening day?

time for this jewel

www.youtube.com Video from : www.youtube.com

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:49 pm 
Political Junkie

Sorry Joe. Saw this and couldn't resist.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:04 am 
Political Junkie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:50 am 
Policy Wonk

Sorry Joe. Saw this and couldn't resist.

LMAO! Don't worry. I can take it. :)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:24 pm 
Board Emeritus

Woo hoo!

Go tribe!

"No one is so foolish as to choose war over peace. In peace sons bury their fathers, in war fathers bury their sons." - Herodotus

The new motto of the USA: Unum de multis. Out of one, many.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:33 pm 
Board Emeritus

Already, the Angles have their first serious injury. Hitting coach Don Baylor broke his leg catching the ceremonial "First Pitch" from former Angel Vladimir Guerrero.

www.youtube.com Video from : www.youtube.com

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:08 pm 
Board Emeritus

As a lifelong Indians Fan I am prepared for another year of disappointment. I have often wondered why it is most of the teams I root for are perennial losers. The Cavs, The Bengals, The Indians, it has to have something to do with my mental make up.

"within weeks of being rid of the likes of you, rid of every fucking one of you,we would begin to see what kind of country this ought to be" Ike Bana 6/14/18

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:10 pm 
Board Emeritus

Woo hoo!

Go tribe!

I skipped school and was there for Frank Robinson's debut as manager. I saved the ticket stubb thinking it might be worth something someday......then lost it. BTW Robinson, Boog Powell and somebody else hit homers that day. I think it might have been Ellis the catcher whose first name I can't remember.

"within weeks of being rid of the likes of you, rid of every fucking one of you,we would begin to see what kind of country this ought to be" Ike Bana 6/14/18

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:51 pm 
Board Emeritus

I skipped school and was there for Frank Robinson's debut as manager. I saved the ticket stubb thinking it might be worth something someday......then lost it. BTW Robinson, Boog Powell and somebody else hit homers that day. I think it might have been Ellis the catcher whose first name I can't remember.

iirc, it was john ellis. i remember boog powell in those gawd-awful all red uniforms that looked like they should have been on a softball team.

the '70's and '80's were probably the times of some of the worst baseball in memory for the tribe. man, they were awful.

"No one is so foolish as to choose war over peace. In peace sons bury their fathers, in war fathers bury their sons." - Herodotus

The new motto of the USA: Unum de multis. Out of one, many.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:31 pm 
Board Emeritus

iirc, it was john ellis. i remember boog powell in those gawd-awful all red uniforms that looked like they should have been on a softball team.

the '70's and '80's were probably the times of some of the worst baseball in memory for the tribe. man, they were awful.

I remember watching the Yankees in a World Series where almost every one of their starters had been with Cleveland and traded by Gabe Paul to the Yankees. The President of those same Yankees Gabe Paul. Let me tweek my memory without looking it up. 1B Chambliss, SS Fred Stanley [he might have been their 2B], 3rd Nettles, Catching Munson never an Indian but grew up in Canton, Dick Tidrow was their long reliever and they might have had Tiant on their staff. In the OF there was Pinella who I believe was once with Cleveland along with Oscar Gamble and I think their back up catcher might have been Alan Ashby.
The little known reason that the Tribe was so bad for so long is Art Modell [may he rest in Hell] he owned the lease to the stadium along with the parking and concessions. The Indians had a hard time making payroll while Modell [may he rest in hell] was raking in the profits.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:34 pm 
Board Emeritus

First, I thought this picture said it all about the indefensible Cleveland mascot, and the use of Native American mascots in general:

http://deadspin.com/cleveland-indians-f ... socialflow

When dressing up like your teams mascot makes the racism it displays this clear, it's time to demand a change.

In unrelated news, the Brewers swept the world series champions at Fenway for the first time since 1993, when the Crew was still in the AL. Also, the Brewers have a ERA under 2 for their entire rotation after 6 starts.