RadioFreeLiberal.com

Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:13 pm 
Board Emeritus

Sitting here watching the Clippers tank the first game after their owners offensive remarks. It is funny watching the announcers ignore the obvious. For the record I would tank also. I love getting even just part of my nature.

"within weeks of being rid of the likes of you, rid of every fucking one of you,we would begin to see what kind of country this ought to be" Ike Bana 6/14/18

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:32 pm 
Board Emeritus

You're not watching the same game I'm watching. The half-time crew was all over Sterling. Just now, Sterling's wife was shown sitting on the sidelines across the court from the Clipper's bench. The woman with the mic said she had talked to Mrs. Sterling about the incident and she vehemently denied she was or had ever been a racist and thoroughly condemned the statements made - although she wasn't completely sure that was her husband on the tape. "I haven't listened to it all," she explained.
Oh, the announcers aren't ignoring it. The whole ABC team has had a shot at Sterling and not one of them is showing any sympathy. They ARE, however, showing a lot of sympathy for the Clippers, noting that this had to have been a helluva blow and it was showing in their play. Whether or not the Clippers are deliberately throwing the game hasn't been in the conversation - and I don't think it should be. If they wanted to deliberately tank, they could miss every shot and every member of the team could foul out. These guys have too much class for this, but nobody would blame them if they did it.
Sallie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:38 pm 
Board Emeritus

I missed the half time show. Been watching it on and off. While they have talked about Sterling and the Clippers are playing better in the second half I think the team is playing half hearted. That is what I haven't heard mention. Any speculation that the Clippers might not be putting forward their best effort.

"within weeks of being rid of the likes of you, rid of every fucking one of you,we would begin to see what kind of country this ought to be" Ike Bana 6/14/18

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:27 pm 
Board Emeritus

One thing it shows me is how closely matched are the teams in West, as opposed to those in the Eastern Conference.
Look at their records:
In the Western Conference, SA was 62 - 20; OKC was 59 - 23; LAC was 57 - 25; HOUS was 54 - 28; PORT was 54 - 28;
GSW was 51 - 31; MEMPH was 50 - 32; DAL was 49 - 33.
In the Eastern Conference, IND was 56 - 26; MIA was 54 - 28; TOR was 48 - 34; CHI was 48 - 34; WASH was 44 - 38;
BRKLYN was 44 - 38; CHAR was 43 - 39; ATL was 38 - 44.
I'd like to see the NBA shake the finals up a bit. How about the 8th in the East play the 8th in the West and so on. I don't think the NBA would go for it, do you?
As for the Clippers not putting forth their best effort, I'm not too sure. When you consider that the difference between the win-loss records of LA and the GSW was a mere six games? And the Warriors' record would have put them in third place in the East? That Steph Curry scored more than 30 points and the rest of the Warriors looked great.
The post-game talking heads are saying that the Clips seemed to lack energy in the first half and just couldn't make it all the way back. They're back to the Sterling thing and it looks like this is going to come to a head on Tuesday. It's the best thing that could happen. Slap Sterling silly and get back to playing basketball!
Sallie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:07 pm 
Board Emeritus

Seems like the NBA should force a sale to Magic Johnson's group, as Yahoo Sports argues:

"Exit strategy for NBA, Donald Sterling: Sell Clippers to Magic Johnson"
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/exit-strat ... 15142.html

Last edited by J_dogg82 on Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:41 pm 
Board Emeritus

Seems like there like the NBA should force a sale to Magic Johnson's group, as Yahoo Sports argues:

Oh, the irony!
I don't know all that much about Adam Silver, the present NBA commissioner, but David Stern was damned tough on the owners.
There are plenty of reports out there to the effect that this isn't Donald Sterling's first rodeo. He has allegedly spouting off a number of times over the years. How these statements have never come to light - or why the revelation of them was suppressed is puzzling.
What's an owner, anyway? The fans and the taxpayers of an NBA city are the ones who pay the team and build the stadiums. Seems ownership of a professional team is quite a lucrative endeavor. Great article in this week's Newsweek on how the owners just scream for more in the poorest big city's in the US.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:10 pm 
Board Emeritus

Oh, the irony!
I don't know all that much about Adam Silver, the present NBA commissioner, but David Stern was damned tough on the owners.
There are plenty of reports out there to the effect that this isn't Donald Sterling's first rodeo. He has allegedly spouting off a number of times over the years. How these statements have never come to light - or why the revelation of them was suppressed is puzzling.
What's an owner, anyway? The fans and the taxpayers of an NBA city are the ones who pay the team and build the stadiums. Seems ownership of a professional team is quite a lucrative endeavor. Great article in this week's Newsweek on how the owners just scream for more in the poorest big city's in the US.

From what I've read, the NBA has known about Sterling for decades. He's the longest tenured owner in the league and they were just hoping he'd die before something like this happened.

As for owners, not only are the useless and valueless, but they know it. There's a reason why every major league sports forbids non-profit franchises from proliferating. It's always at the demand of owners who fear cities setting up non-profits for teams rather than handing over hundreds of millions of dollars in profits to rich billionaires. The Packers are the only one, and the owners want to make sure it stays that way.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:29 pm 
Board Emeritus

A book on the subject that might interest you is "Field of Schemes," by Neil deMause who reports that the 132 major pro sports franchises have been collecting about $2 billion a year in taxpayer subsidies (mostly used to cover 80% of the cost of new stadiums).

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:01 pm 
Policy Wonk

Seems like the NBA should force a sale to Magic Johnson's group, as Yahoo Sports argues:

Do NBA rules permit a forced sale?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:27 pm 
Board Emeritus

Do NBA rules permit a forced sale?

Nobody really knows. The league rules are confidential. Different parties "in the know" suggest differently, and there is a lot of speculation.

Good information here:
http://deadspin.com/players-want-maximu ... 1568612742

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:30 pm 
Board Emeritus

I'm not sure that the NBA can "force a sale of the Clippers to Magic Johnson," but it CAN oust an owner.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:49 pm 
Board Emeritus

I'm not sure that the NBA can "force a sale of the Clippers to Magic Johnson," but it CAN oust an owner.

That's what's interesting about the Dead Spin article.

One lawyer says there is express language for this situation. One says there is express language only for financial problems. Another says there is a catchall for situations "outside the scope" of the agreement that the NBC can use.

We'll have to wait and see, but the NBA certainly can lean on an owner. I do think the best thing would be for the fans to stop going. That's the best way to hurt an owner and devalue the franchise.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:45 pm 
Board Emeritus

That's what's interesting about the Dead Spin article.

One lawyer says there is express language for this situation. One says there is express language only for financial problems. Another says there is a catchall for situations "outside the scope" of the agreement that the NBC can use.

We'll have to wait and see, but the NBA certainly can lean on an owner. I do think the best thing would be for the fans to stop going. That's the best way to hurt an owner and devalue the franchise.

That would be a damned good solution, were it not so unfair to the rest of the Clipper organization - and especially the players, none of whom played any part in this.
Besides, as we've learned from our studies into professional sports ownership, Sterling would scream bloody murder and demand that the taxpayers of Los Angeles make up for his losses.
Damned if we do; damned if we don't.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:32 pm 
Board Emeritus

That would be a damned good solution, were it not so unfair to the rest of the Clipper organization - and especially the players, none of whom played any part in this.
Besides, as we've learned from our studies into professional sports ownership, Sterling would scream bloody murder and demand that the taxpayers of Los Angeles make up for his losses.
Damned if we do; damned if we don't.

Somebody has to take a stand if people really want change. If not the players, then the fans. If not the fans, then who?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:39 pm 
Board Emeritus

Somebody has to take a stand if people really want change. If not the players, then the fans. If not the fans, then who?

It's tough, though. Penalize the people who are already penalized by being associated with this prick. The next game is in Los Angeles. If the Clippers fans don't show, the Warriors fans sure will. I know you're right, but....
The perfect storm, of course, would be for the LA fans to stay home and the Clips to beat the socks off Golden State.
Ah, geez, Justin! I just don't know.