RadioFreeLiberal.com

Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:39 pm 
Board Emeritus

I really don't see how S/A can win this series mainly due to the age of and wear and tear on their players. One thing for certain is S/A has to win game one or they have very little if any chance of winning the series. So my prediction is Miami in 5 if Miami wins game one, Miami in 6 if S/A wins game one.
One final observation, if Popovich were the coach of Oklahoma City instead of S/A we would be seeing a Miami Vs OKC final. He really owned the OKC coach.

"within weeks of being rid of the likes of you, rid of every fucking one of you,we would begin to see what kind of country this ought to be" Ike Bana 6/14/18

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:02 pm 
Board Emeritus

Location: Treasure Coast, Florida & Fairfield County, Connecticut
:arrow: San Antonio in 6, just like it should have been last year!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:37 pm 
Board Emeritus

San Antonio in Six
Giving Miami
Two Wins at Home

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:45 pm 
Board Emeritus

Question for Glenn: Have you watched every Spurs game? Have you seen any differences as the season wore on? Have the Spurs seemed stronger, or weaker?
Many people make the fatal mistake of looking at individual statistics, such as PPG, FG%, Blocks, Steals, RBs, rather than look at them in light of minutes per game played. If Tim Duncan scores 26 points in 26 minutes, and LeBron James scores 36 points in 36 minutes, what's the difference? I'm going to get some stats for you to study. I think you'll see why age doesn't matter when you have 12 actual NBA-level players on your team.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:51 pm 
Board Emeritus

Question for Glenn: Have you watched every Spurs game? Have you seen any differences as the season wore on? Have the Spurs seemed stronger, or weaker?
Many people make the fatal mistake of looking at individual statistics, such as PPG, FG%, Blocks, Steals, RBs, rather than look at them in light of minutes per game played. If Tim Duncan scores 26 points in 26 minutes, and LeBron James scores 36 points in 36 minutes, what's the difference? I'm going to get some stats for you to study. I think you'll see why age doesn't matter when you have 12 actual NBA-level players on your team.

I think if it were a round 1 series the Spurs would win. What I question is with the age of their key players being old by NBA standards, just how tired their legs are.
Colin Cowherd on ESPN has predicted the Spurs in 5 or 6. He based it on talent and how they can score both inside and outside. It will be a fun series to watch.

"within weeks of being rid of the likes of you, rid of every fucking one of you,we would begin to see what kind of country this ought to be" Ike Bana 6/14/18

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:36 am 
Board Emeritus

:arrow: The NBA TV network showed game one of the finals last year, where the Spurs beat Miami in a real nail-biter with that spectacular shot with seconds to spear by Tony Parker, last night. I agree with glen, it's going to be a fun series to watch.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:07 am 
Board Emeritus

:arrow: The Spurs were not playing Spurs basketball in the latter half of the 4th quarter after that flagrant on Chalmers, and Tony Parker missed those free throws and then Tim Duncan missed two more that was totally unlike both of them. Then that untimely turnover by Diaw. We would be talking a different story now. Now I have to hear the ridiculousness of the sports punditry when it comes to Lebron James from now until Tuesday!! Why aren't they mentioning the stat that Duncan has now in tying Magic Johnson for the most double-doubles in a playoff series at 157. I still think San Antonio is going to win the series though. We are exactly where we were last finals with the series tied 1-1, and the Heat were the upper seed last year though. The Spurs need to win at least one of these games in Miami and have no doubt that they will. They should have won it last year, so that are hungry now!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:02 pm 
Policy Wonk

Someone will win.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:31 pm 
Board Emeritus

I blame the Spurs' loss on myself. I was watching the Tony Awards and only checking the score on my tablet, rather than switching to the game. When I finally did, there was Tim Duncan at the foul line. To my dismay, he failed to perform the pre-shot ritual that raised him from a 30% free-throw shooter to a 72%.
Normally, he will bounce the ball twice, shrug deeply while taking a big breath, relax, then shoot. Last night he took an awkward knock-kneed stance, no bounce, no shrug, and MISSED BOTH FOUL SHOTS! I later learned that Tony Parker had done the same thing. Those missed foul shots equal FOUR Spurs points. Four points!
Time to remind Timmy to "go home with the stance that brung him."
Today, I'll watch videos and read sports reports without the danger to my ever-eager ulcers.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:27 am 
Board Emeritus

I blame the Spurs' loss on myself. I was watching the Tony Awards and only checking the score on my tablet, rather than switching to the game. When I finally did, there was Tim Duncan at the foul line. To my dismay, he failed to perform the pre-shot ritual that raised him from a 30% free-throw shooter to a 72%.
Normally, he will bounce the ball twice, shrug deeply while taking a big breath, relax, then shoot. Last night he took an awkward knock-kneed stance, no bounce, no shrug, and MISSED BOTH FOUL SHOTS! I later learned that Tony Parker had done the same thing. Those missed foul shots equal FOUR Spurs points. Four points!
Time to remind Timmy to "go home with the stance that brung him."
Today, I'll watch videos and read sports reports without the danger to my ever-eager ulcers.

Our local PBS Station was playing the musical guests of the 60's from Ed Sullivan. It was the best show Ive watched in a long time. We watched Ed Sullivan every Sunday night. I recall it came on after Walt Disney. [but I could be wrong] Anyway the show on PBS brought back so many childhood memories I suggest everyone check their local listings to see when it is playing in your area.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:29 am 
Board Emeritus

BTW Parker was fouled hard in the ribs during the second half and was probably hurting. Also when older players legs start to tire they miss more free throws.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:37 am 
Board Emeritus

:arrow: I have to admit I watched the Tony Awards for a bit too, even though I had no idea about the plays/musicals that were nominated, Hugh Jackman was the host! My son had the game on in the other room and I found myself sneaking in to watch. Dwayne Wade should have been nominated for a Tony Award. He did the the best impression of getting hit in the face and delayed reaction flopping that I have ever seen, resulting in a foul against Manu Ginobili. Wade was subsequently fined by the NBA on Monday. The Spurs did not play like the Spurs on Sunday. What happened to all that spunk they had before the the series even started? How much they wanted what they believed the Miami Heat stole from them last year? They didn't play like they were on a mission, and now they have to play in front of the worst fans in the NBA in Miami.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:30 pm 
Board Emeritus

:arrow: I still stick to my original prediction. Spurs in 6.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:57 pm 
Board Emeritus

Well, Ilise, the Spurs responded to your call last night - playing with the kind of spunk that should have been in evidence Sunday night. And, you know how you always think the NBA sportswriters are way too much in love with LeBron James and The Heat? Well I just went to NBA.com to watch all the various recaps on last night's game. I wasn't too surprised to find that out of the 5 TOP PLAYS, 3 of them featured LeBron James. LOL! Then there was a "mini-film" of the game, while the video announcer noted that The Spurs had set an NBA playoff record in the first half (and they were busily scoring 71 points), the film captured every one of James' scores.
Wow! Just Wow!
I spent most of the first half talking to Bill Wanner (Vietvet) on Facebook. He lives in San Antonio.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:03 am 
Board Emeritus

:arrow: The Spurs did bring that spunk Sallie. It was so good to see. And those crazy sports punditry! What do the Spurs have to do to get the respect they rightly deserve? I really do get quite annoyed when I hear "The Spurs are the best/better team, but Miami has the best player on planet playing for them!" Really? I though Miami was a basketball team, not a basketball player? The only honest "figment of one's imagination" player on the Miami Heat, was Ray Allen who said that "we didn't show up to play, we didn't bring it, we are a team and we didn't bring it man" after game 1, when asked about the game after James went out with the leg cramps. He also complemented the Spurs after game 3. I think the Spurs can win game 4 too. They are on a mission. They have no intention of letting this series slip away. That Kawhi Leonard is a star, he's the real thing!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 5:36 pm 
Board Emeritus

I sent a couple of PMs out to Pop. One was a warning about giving Kawhi Leonard too much praise. Sounds crazy, eh? But it's been my experience that too much praise given a person who doesn't yet think of himself as invincible can backfire. In Tuesday's game, Kawhi had nowhere to go but up. In tonight's game, the fear of failure might actually cause him to freeze. I've seen it happen and I don't want it to happen to this great kid.
But then, Pop is pretty savvy. I wouldn't put it past him to tell Leonard, "You played a pretty good game, but you can do even better." Well, that's pretty hard to imagine after the chest-punching and "I told you! I told you!" after Tuesday night's game.
The other PM was about Tim getting back in his free-throw rhythm.
You probably think this is crazy, but I happen to know that if Pop doesn't read the messages on our Spurs board, other players do, and other members of the coaching staff do. I've heard from them in the past - about 10 years ago. LOL!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:07 am 
Board Emeritus

:arrow: Well! Kawhi had another great game Sallie!! I don't think he froze , he brought the heat and stuck it to them! The Miami heat fans are the worst fans in the league! The place was clearing out when there was 9 minutes left to the game! Even if your team is losing at home you still applaud their effort. That's what great fans do. Looking forward to the Spurs bringing home their fifth title on Sunday.