It is currently Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: CTE and players....
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:54 pm 
Board Emeritus

chronic traumatic encephalopathy.

ken stabler had serious CTE and then he died.

vikings fredMcNeil had CTE and then he died.

Post subject: Re: CTE and players....
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:10 pm 
Board Emeritus

I dunno if anyone else caught the ESPN doc that they did on CTE, but they interviewed Mike Ditka and asked, knowing what you know now, would you let your kids play contact football? And he said absolutely not.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:45 pm 
Board Emeritus

Jim McMahon is not in very good shape lately. Memory impairments and confusion...early onset dementia. There's an excellent PBS Frontline...

League Of Denial.

Roger Goodell is an asshole.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:09 pm 
Board Emeritus

THe problem is they cannot test for CTE while a player is alive. The players like Stabler who died at age 69 [from cancer] are going to have a high degree of CTE. The league has taken steps to prevent CTE but unless testing is developed it will be 40 to 50 years before we know the success or failure of those programs.

Now back to Stabler, he also was a big drinker and partier which might have been a contributing factor to how far his CTE had advanced. Junior Seau had CTE and committed suicide. But, we have since learned that he grew up in an abusive home, had siblings who were bi-polar and had an Uncle that also committed suicide. So there are many other factors in retired players mental and physical health problems beyond CTE.

"within weeks of being rid of the likes of you, rid of every fucking one of you,we would begin to see what kind of country this ought to be" Ike Bana 6/14/18

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:40 pm 
Policy Wonk

Detroit Lions OL Emmett Cleary to donate brain to concussion research

Quote:
As a junior in college, Emmett Cleary spent one summer interning at the Concussion Legacy Foundation. For Cleary, a biology major while he played football at Boston College, it was a natural fit.

He did data analysis on a handful of studies, worked on small projects around the office, and was more or less an extra set of hands for anyone who needed help.

Now, six years later, at the end of his first season with the Lions, Cleary is ready to help the foundation again — by donating his brain postmortem for study to help advance research on chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE) and brain injuries.

"I’ve been so fortunate in my career and I’ve had such a good experience playing football that I think it’s a very small contribution to make," Cleary told the Free Press. "It’s not a big deal. It’s kind of analogous to signing your driver’s license. I don’t know how it is here, but in Illinois if you want to be an organ donor you can just check a box and sign your driver’s license, so it’s not like the commitment is some grand thing.

"But I just feel as a player who’s kind of aware of the ongoing research and has had such good experience playing ball, I almost feel like I owe it to the players and my own teammates I’ve had, and all the former players and all the guys that will play in the future, to I guess do my part in learning what we can learn about head injuries in football."....................

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:01 pm 
Policy Wonk

NFL players with brain trauma receive notice of settlements stripped to nothing

Quote:
The league had agreed to pay more than $1 billion in a settlement for victims of chronic brain trauma, but players' families say they aren't getting what they were promised.

For debilitated and often-broke former football players and their families, the National Football League's agreement to pay more than $1 billion in a settlement for victims of chronic brain trauma appeared to be the end of the battle that had consumed them for years.

The money was supposed to provide a measure of peace and stability for the wives, widows and children of tormented players who had died young or are fading away in nursing homes. Not disclosed, however, is the significant portion of the fund that is being withheld from those it was promised.

As the award notifications begin to trickle out, some of the recipients have been stunned to find they may receive just pennies on the dollar of what they’re owed, likely setting off another spate of frustrating court battles.

Some have even received notices that show pending payments in the negative................