Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: F1 is off to the races
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:56 pm 
Board Emeritus

Australia GP came and went, giving us a few answers about what kind of season it'll be. Ferrari seems able to run with Mercedes, for now anyway. Vettel won the race after Hamilton got stuck behind Verstuppen. All the new cars look great, sound great, and go like stink. They're also harder to drive, and harder to pass. That second one looks like a problem.

New ownership, of course. The Gnome of London is out. Gone. Off buying more $20 million mansions for his daughter. As with everything else, the new owner is an anonymous American media/ sports/ entertainment conglomerate with a conservative sounding name. They seem mostly interested in leveraging the brand and raising the profile in the US. Stand by for action figures, fake driving suits, shirts, mugs, and all that other stuff. They did hire Ross Brawn as director of motor sport though, so at least they seem willing to let the racers run the races. He's a perfect hire.

FIA still runs the competition side, so we can expect the brouhaha to continue unabated. Their flag still waves proudly over Place de la Concorde. At one time, there was a guillotine there. Now there is the FIA.

Manor finally packed it in, after years of brouhaha and legal fuss, so there are 10 teams and 20 cars. Haas is doing great for a new team. Roman Grosjean is going to score them a bunch of points once they get reliability sorted out. Force India has new pink livery. Kind of a wussy color for a race car, but the sponsor's whole brand image is pink, and money talks. The once-mighty McLaren still has engine power unit problems, and we're all making book on how long before its relationship with Honda ends badly, probably in court.

Some real driver weirdness. Remember how Massa bid farewell to the sport, amid tears and emotion and farewell ceremonies? He's back. Rossberg isn't. Won the championship and retired days later. Generally, quitting the game while ahead is more common in Vega$. Weirdness here. Bottas is in his seat. Usual gaggle of ultra-hot ultra-hyped teenagers from GP2 or similar. (Kids start to learn in go-karts at age 7. As with every other sport nowadays, you can't have a childhood and be any good at it.)

Let the drama continue......

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:01 pm 
Board Emeritus

I kept looking for Rossberg, finally googled him and saw he retired. I did not know that.

My initial thought was he figured why risk injury or death, he won the championship, time to quit.

The cars are so small, so fast, and relatively unsafe considering comparison to like a stock car/NASCAR. It takes an unusually brave person to drive one.

Hamilton is fun to watch, but I was amazed how Ferrari held him off. This makes for a possibly entertaining season, but the passing, why is it harder?

It is so fucking hard anyway, why in holy hell, my friend, would they make it even harder?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:01 pm 
Board Emeritus

I kept looking for Rossberg, finally googled him and saw he retired. I did not know that.

My initial thought was he figured why risk injury or death, he won the championship, time to quit.

The cars are so small, so fast, and relatively unsafe considering comparison to like a stock car/NASCAR. It takes an unusually brave person to drive one.

Hamilton is fun to watch, but I was amazed how Ferrari held him off. This makes for a possibly entertaining season, but the passing, why is it harder?

It is so fucking hard anyway, why in holy hell, my friend, would they make it even harder?

Right way, wrong way, FIA way. Place de la Concorde had a guillotine once, now it has the FIA.

Why do they ever change a formula? Often it's to slow the cars down, but in this case they sped them up. Everyone said passing was too hard, so 3 or so years back, they put in the DRS to make a chance for it on the straights. That's still there, but apparently now the braking tactics of the past few years are a lot harder to do in the turns, because of dirty air and loss of traction.

In the past few years the changes have been driven mostly by the big factory teams who can't see the expense of racing unless they can test ideas for road cars under extreme conditions. That's why they're hybrids now. It's a really gonzoid setup and definitely it determines which technologies hold up and which ones don't. It also saves fuel, but in a 2 hour race that's not going to affect climate very much if at all.

NASCAR and F1 have both had one driver death each in the same time frame that I can remember. The one in F1 was actually on a yellow flag, when someone for some reason ran into a crane removing a spun car from the grass. The big stock cars are obviously safer, but they also crash more often. Someone messes up after a restart and takes 10 cars with him. Used to be if they got any air under them at all, they became ballistic missiles, though I think they fixed that. Still, it seems to be about equal. Used to be that race car drivers were lucky to make it to retirement. Now, not as bad.

Yes, as Vettel told Letterman back in the day, you need big attachments to go around a track at that speed in that size car, with your head 3 feet off the ground. But then NASCAR and Indy cars look pretty extreme too. These guys are amazing.