Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Stanley Cup 2017 Thread
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:13 am 
Board Emeritus

The regular season is almost over. Match ups are not set yet. Some teams have yet to clinch. Predictions can start early though. Thread for the very few around here who watch hockey.

I'll be cheering for the Calgary Flames. I don't like their current position but at least they made the playoffs this year, and although they lost their last game they're one of the hottest teams in the league. Best match ups where things are headed would be against the Oilers (can't stand em) and then perhaps the Hawks. Not because they can beat the Hawks per say, but the Flames play a similar style and did OK against them this season. Calgary is like a lesser version of the Hawks but losing to them wouldn't be as big of a deal as it would be losing to the Oilers or the Ducks. The Ducks have the Flames number and have had for quite some time. I don't want to play the Ducks. The Oilers have one deadly line and a good goalie. They can be exposed depth wise as long as McDavid is neutralized.

I'd rather the Flames play the Wild, St. Louis or Nashville, but that ain't gunna happen.

Meh, anything can happen in the playoffs. It's when all bets are supposed to be off, right?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:37 am 
Board Emeritus

The regular season is almost over. Match ups are not set yet. Some teams have yet to clinch. Predictions can start early though. Thread for the very few around here who watch hockey.

I'll be cheering for the Calgary Flames. I don't like their current position but at least they made the playoffs this year, and although they lost their last game they're one of the hottest teams in the league. Best match ups where things are headed would be against the Oilers (can't stand em) and then perhaps the Hawks. Not because they can beat the Hawks per say, but the Flames play a similar style and did OK against them this season. Calgary is like a lesser version of the Hawks but losing to them wouldn't be as big of a deal as it would be losing to the Oilers or the Ducks. The Ducks have the Flames number and have had for quite some time. I don't want to play the Ducks. The Oilers have one deadly line and a good goalie. They can be exposed depth wise as long as McDavid is neutralized.

I'd rather the Flames play the Wild, St. Louis or Nashville, but that ain't gunna happen.

Meh, anything can happen in the playoffs. It's when all bets are supposed to be off, right?

Fun game the Flames had with the Kings the other night. They try that shit with the Blackhawks and they will be behind 4-zip in the first 20 minutes.

And I'm just amazed by the Blackhawks. Every year they do their salary cap thing, send away guys that I'm convinced will take them right out of the playoffs. Look at the people gone the last few seasons...Sharp, Saad, Oduya (but he's back), Leddy, Ladd (twice), Byfuglien, Shaw, Teravainen, The Rat (Bolland), you guys have Frolik...I thought Frolik was great, and my god, his wife!!! Can you imagine the numbers Saad would be putting up if he were still in Chicago?

But they're a couple points short of the President's trophy this regular season...again. Sometimes Quenneville pisses me off with who he decides is gonna play and who isn't...Nick Leddy comes immediately to mind. But he must know what he's doing, and of course there's the core players. Including a guy who's minutes and defensive work may be as valuable to the team as the big name guys...Marcus Kruger for his shitty 9 million over three years.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:41 am 
Board Emeritus

The Flames were dopes for getting into that garbage with a lowly Kings team. It threw them off their game and the Kings really had nothing to play for. It happened because young Chucky wanted to prove himself after his comments on Doughty were called out by Kings players on the ice. Really dumb of the Flames, but I don't expect the team to make that mistake again. And they certainly wouldn't do that shit in the playoffs.

Still, the Hawks are very experienced and deadly. Would be an interesting matchup. Either the Flames would get swept in 4 or it goes the distance to 7 is my prediction.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:45 pm 

The wife just gave me my birthday present (just a bit early). Tickets to Game 2 of the Canadiens vs the Rangers in Montreal. We will be driving up later this week, and will stay in Montreal for a couple of nights.

It's been quite a while since I last saw a Stanley Cup playoff game at an arena. The last time was game 7 of the Flyers vs the Blues in Philadelphia in 1968.

I did see a few AHL Calder Cup playoff games in the mid 1970s in Richmond, VA, when I was an AHL minor official with the Richmond Robins, but that is not the same as the Stanley Cup.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:30 am 

What a great game at the Bell Center last night. Even though the Habs had the edge in shots, it seemed that the Rangers were winning most of the one on one battles, until late in the 3rd period. Down a goal throughout the 3rd period, Montreal tied the game with only 17.3 seconds left in regulation, then scored after over 18 minutes of overtime. 58 shots on goal for the Habs. This is a close, exciting series. Personally, I wish the Habs would score 3 quick goals, then coast. I can do without close games.

Crossing the border into Canada was interesting. The guard mostly asked me about the hockey game. Then he asked if I was "a gun guy" and was carrying any concealed weapons. I assured him that was not the case.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:54 am 
Board Emeritus

Was cheering for the Habs last night. Good to see them win in OT. Wasn't cheering for the Oilers. Can't stand em. At least the Sharks got the split.

My team plays tonight, sorta worried. They did well in game one but stupid mistakes (that horrendous line change) and a flat opening minute cost them.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:25 am 

Now I know that border guards are hockey fans (both US and Canadian). Expecting a rough time crossing back into the US. US border guards have a reputation for being bad tempered, and the current immigration situation made me just a trifle nervous.

On my return across the border, the US guard looked at his camera monitor and said, "Your license plate is a little dirty." I thought he meant it was soiled, so I mumbled something about taking care of it. He then said, " 'MTL HABS' (that's my license plate), RANGERS ALL THE WAY!" Then he let us cross. Always fun to talk your way across the border with hockey.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:34 am 
Board Emeritus

Was cheering for the Habs last night. Good to see them win in OT. Wasn't cheering for the Oilers. Can't stand em. At least the Sharks got the split.

My team plays tonight, sorta worried. They did well in game one but stupid mistakes (that horrendous line change) and a flat opening minute cost them.

Well Drak...doesn't look like much of a post season for either of us. As Toews acknowledged after the game last night, the Predators are "pushing themselves to the limit"...and although he didn't say it, everybody knows the inference is that the Blackhawks are not.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:02 pm 
Board Emeritus

Who won the Mortimer Cup?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:16 pm 
Board Emeritus

Well Drak...doesn't look like much of a post season for either of us. As Toews acknowledged after the game last night, the Predators are "pushing themselves to the limit"...and although he didn't say it, everybody knows the inference is that the Blackhawks are not.

Yes, very disappointing. Pretty depressing actually. I'm more surprised about the Hawks though. Maybe they'll do one of their famous series comebacks.

The Flames have actually played well each game. It surprises me they haven't sealed at least one of them. Goaltending certainly cost them the last game when they were up 4-1. You don't blow a 4-1 lead in the playoffs. They just don't have the experience to overcome adversity.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:42 pm 
Board Emeritus

Well Ike, here's to both our teams

And 6 months or so till the new season. Sad.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:05 pm 
Board Emeritus

Who won the Mortimer Cup?

Esther Mortimer and her horse Adajio.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:42 am 

Well, I'm just a spectator, too. Rangers prevailed in a too-close series. No real surprises in the East. Both Habs-Rangers and Senators-Bruins could have gone either way.

Glad to see the Senators send Boston home. Since my son is a Senators fan, I will cast my lot with them for now.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:34 pm 
Board Emeritus

Yah I guess I'm on board the Sens train now too. Oilers need to go. Then the Ducks.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 5:45 pm 

Crosby out with a concussion. Penguins-Caps is the most likely match-up to produce the Cup winner. This makes the series even more intereting.

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 8:49 am 
Board Emeritus

Seems to me the NHL version of salary cap is working. The pundits can do their "power rankings" every week and the gamblers can do their "odds". But in this league every year now, there's no telling who will win this thing. And how many overtime contests have there been this year so far?

Parity rules. Do we like it?

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 10:21 pm 

I kind of liked it when the Habs won almost every year, and had 8 or 9 Hall of Famers on the roster at any time.

Since that ship sailed a generation ago, yes, I like the fact that someone new can win each year.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 10:16 pm 

Another bunch of undesirables eliminated.

Sens in, Blueshirts out

Two game sevens on tap tomorrow

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 10:48 am 
Board Emeritus

Well so much for my Blueshirts going all the way the Sens were the better team our power play opportunities were dreadful i feel bad for Henrik Lundqvist who still hasn't won a cup in his career look for some more changes in the offseason.

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 8:50 pm 
Board Emeritus

I kind of liked it when the Habs won almost every year, and had 8 or 9 Hall of Famers on the roster at any time.

It's not 8 or 9, but I'm gonna say the Hawks have at least 4, 5 counting Quenneville, maybe 6. I don't think Crawford gets any respect for some reason. I'll never forget how the Lightning, the highest scoring team in the league that season scored 2 goals in the last 9 periods of a final series.

The 2002 Red Wings had 9, counting Scotty Bowman. Federov would make it 10, Datsyuk 11. Did the Habs ever have 11 on the team at one time?

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 11:44 am 

It's not 8 or 9, but I'm gonna say the Hawks have at least 4, 5 counting Quenneville, maybe 6. I don't think Crawford gets any respect for some reason. I'll never forget how the Lightning, the highest scoring team in the league that season scored 2 goals in the last 9 periods of a final series.

The 2002 Red Wings had 9, counting Scotty Bowman. Federov would make it 10, Datsyuk 11. Did the Habs ever have 11 on the team at one time?

I thought the Wings had 9 HOF roster players at one time. I would not count the coach.

The Habs, by my count, had at most 9, including at a time when rosters were smaller (the 1950s). If you want to count coaches, at various times they had Toe Blake and Scotty Bowman during times of big HOF rosters. I could go further and note that Jean Beliveau was in their home office during the late 1970s dynasty, so let's just stick to active players. Nine is their most, matched only by the Red Wings of the early 2000s

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 11:52 am 

2002 Detroit has 9, after Lindstrom and Federov's induction. Datsyuk is not yet in, so he can't be counted, and I already mentioned that we should not include coaches. The Wings could get up to 10 if Datsyuk gets in.

What is amazing to me about the mid to late 1950s Habs is that they had 8-9 HOFs when the roster was only 18 players, 50% HOFs. Also, it was not just one year, but several in a row. As HOF players retired, they added younger, future HOF players.

I found an article which claims that the 1976-77 Habs had 11 HOFs, but it turns out they counted both Scotty Bowman (coach) and Sam Pollock (GM). I know Jean Beliveau got his name on the cup as well, so is it 12?

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 4:21 pm 

And then there were 4. Love to see the Senators do well vs the Pens. As for the west, my only concern is, as a Habs fan, could I live with Nashville winning the cup after last Summer's trade? I like Subban, but he still looks funny in a mustard colored jersey

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 10:45 pm 
Board Emeritus

2002 Detroit has 9, after Lindstrom and Federov's induction. Datsyuk is not yet in, so he can't be counted, and I already mentioned that we should not include coaches. The Wings could get up to 10 if Datsyuk gets in.

What is amazing to me about the mid to late 1950s Habs is that they had 8-9 HOFs when the roster was only 18 players, 50% HOFs. Also, it was not just one year, but several in a row. As HOF players retired, they added younger, future HOF players.

I found an article which claims that the 1976-77 Habs had 11 HOFs, but it turns out they counted both Scotty Bowman (coach) and Sam Pollock (GM). I know Jean Beliveau got his name on the cup as well, so is it 12?

Here's what I've got on the 2002 Red Wings...

Larionov
B. Hull
Robitaille
Yzerman
Hasek
Shanahan
Chelios
Lidstrom
Fedorov - was inducted 2016.
Bowman

Makes it 10. If Datsyuk makes the Hall of Fame, that would make it 11. If you don't want to count coaches it's 10. So I think we agree, no? Anyway, it's pretty unbelievable for both teams.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 9:56 pm 

Here's what I've got on the 2002 Red Wings...

Larionov
B. Hull
Robitaille
Yzerman
Hasek
Shanahan
Chelios
Lidstrom
Fedorov - was inducted 2016.
Bowman

Makes it 10. If Datsyuk makes the Hall of Fame, that would make it 11. If you don't want to count coaches it's 10. So I think we agree, no? Anyway, it's pretty unbelievable for both teams.

IF Datsyuk makes the Hall, it's 10. Right now, it's still 9. But yes, it is pretty amazing. Maybe you could argue that the Wings are more amazing in the era of free agency than the earlier Habs were.