RadioFreeLiberal.com

Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 694 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28  Next
 Post subject: Re: yoo hoo sallie!
PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 12:48 am 
Board Emeritus

I have never felt so good after a season ending game. That was the most fantastic game I've ever seen. I can't even focus on all the drama. It was a pleasure to see and a pleasure to have another successful Packers season.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:36 am 
Board Emeritus

I have never felt so good after a season ending game. That was the most fantastic game I've ever seen. I can't even focus on all the drama. It was a pleasure to see and a pleasure to have another successful Packers season.

mrs. bird and i didn't watch that one. sorry. read about it this morning. it appears that the cardinals are very much for real. did watch the patriots for a bit. 5th straight year in the arc championship game. perhaps haslam should watch what the pack, the pats, the steelers, the seahawks (recently) and even the ravens up till this year do before firing his mouth off.

in an unrelated comment the rams will leave l.a. after 5 years max. l.a. is uninterested in the nfl.

"No one is so foolish as to choose war over peace. In peace sons bury their fathers, in war fathers bury their sons." - Herodotus

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:12 am 
Policy Wonk

Minn said no to the 'topes talking to their running game coach, Chicago said no to the 'topes talking to their personnel man becoming a GM. Horton planning on staying in TN. They also told Flip he was free to leave.

The Chicago denial may even be against league rules.

All of their first choices have been denied. Is the established NFL saying fu to Jimmy?

I do no blame Hue for this, we will see who they end up with.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 2:25 pm 
Board Emeritus

Minn said no to the 'topes talking to their running game coach, Chicago said no to the 'topes talking to their personnel man becoming a GM. Horton planning on staying in TN. They also told Flip he was free to leave.

The Chicago denial may even be against league rules.

All of their first choices have been denied. Is the established NFL saying fu to Jimmy?

I do no blame Hue for this, we will see who they end up with.

interesting re: chicago.

i think you may be correct re: haslam and the nfl. he hasn't exactly looked "owner-ish" enough.

looks like we will get retreads or unproven guys looking to move up

"No one is so foolish as to choose war over peace. In peace sons bury their fathers, in war fathers bury their sons." - Herodotus

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:08 pm 
Policy Wonk

The saga continues....

Kirby Wilson will interview after Tuesday, when his contract expires. I guess Minn needed to f with the 'topes, because they could.
(of course the 'topes have messed with their existing staff as well, so this may not be a fu to the 'topes as much as rich people f ing with people, because they can)

Horton was supposed to interview today, seems Dick LeBeau is assistant HC in TN and ran much of the D. Horton may be feeling a bit unloved. He may find the 'topes situation the same way Hue found it. Have to say the 'topes are doing well at selling their choices.

Two years ago Horton was considered on a the fast track to be a HC. What happened? The only HC interview he had was with TN and they said they did not know he wanted to be a HC. He may have to go to Cleveland to get noticed.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:07 am 
Board Emeritus

so far everyone is saying the right things, the media is preaching patience and change is good and these guys are smart. we'll see. imo they get one shot at this. there has to be improvement on the field next year. that means being competitive in every game and winning a minimum of 5-7 games. i don't necessarily want playoffs because that might smack of flash-in-a-pan/derek anderson and that is not improvement but luck and circumstances. build an organization, look at the pats/pack/steelers and anyone else who has shown consistency in winning.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:18 am 
Policy Wonk

They have no option. They have to polish the turd.

They are not going to say, we settled for Hue Jackson because he would take the job, and Hue Jackson isn't going to say the 49'ers said no, the Giants said no, he is going to say the 'topes made him feel welcome.

Horton, who could not get a HC interview, and appears to have been pushed aside by Dick Lebeau in TN, isn't going to say his opportunities to continue as DC were limited to 'topes. The Titans were "surprised" he wanted a HC interview. To me, that translates as, we don't even want you as a DC, why would we want you as a HC?

I will give Hue a season and see if he can do it. He is bringing in his guys. Good luck Hue.

Haslam has burned bridges. The NFL has people in place to help with these searches. It just so happens that most of them have worked for Haslam in his short tenure with the 'topes. He has spun that to be the other NFL teams will not share their secrets to success, so they have to to look to other successful sport franchises to find that information. Seems the Dolans and Gilbert did not make that cut. Although DePodesta did work for the Indians at one time.

The trouble they have with the new "GM" position is their own making. They should have anticipated that finding a personnel guy so close to the draft may be very difficult. They changed the structure and created the problem.

The lack of talent may mean that they may trim the tree of expensive fruit and start building with all young players. That would make you estimate of 5-7 games hard to reach, but may lead to a solid team that will grow to reach that goal in year two and better in year three. If that is the plan, they need to announce it.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:10 am 
Board Emeritus

They have no option. They have to polish the turd.

They are not going to say, we settled for Hue Jackson because he would take the job, and Hue Jackson isn't going to say the 49'ers said no, the Giants said no, he is going to say the 'topes made him feel welcome.

Horton, who could not get a HC interview, and appears to have been pushed aside by Dick Lebeau in TN, isn't going to say his opportunities to continue as DC were limited to 'topes. The Titans were "surprised" he wanted a HC interview. To me, that translates as, we don't even want you as a DC, why would we want you as a HC?

I will give Hue a season and see if he can do it. He is bringing in his guys. Good luck Hue.

Haslam has burned bridges. The NFL has people in place to help with these searches. It just so happens that most of them have worked for Haslam in his short tenure with the 'topes. He has spun that to be the other NFL teams will not share their secrets to success, so they have to to look to other successful sport franchises to find that information. Seems the Dolans and Gilbert did not make that cut. Although DePodesta did work for the Indians at one time.

The trouble they have with the new "GM" position is their own making. They should have anticipated that finding a personnel guy so close to the draft may be very difficult. They changed the structure and created the problem.

The lack of talent may mean that they may trim the tree of expensive fruit and start building with all young players. That would make you estimate of 5-7 games hard to reach, but may lead to a solid team that will grow to reach that goal in year two and better in year three. If that is the plan, they need to announce it.

agree that they should state what the plan is. all of the shifting around makes it appear that they don't really have a handle and are flailing about. i suspect that that is not the case but as in much of our society perception is reality to the consumer. and the consumers of the browns product are likely scratching their heads saying "well, it sounds like it might work..." and "these guys are nuts...". either way that is not good.

and i agree haslam has burned bridges. he has come off very poorly with the scandal from his business leaking over into the perception again of guy who really doesn't have a handle on things.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:39 pm 
Board Emeritus

Patriots go down to one of the least impressive-looking offenses in football.

Incidentally, Atlanta beat Carolina with its pass rush too. That seems to be the formula against top QBs, as always.

Perhaps the Broncos can be a model for the Browns to follow. They have done well-enough, without "the Man" at the helm. Payton is not elite QB this year. Defense is generally cheaper to build.

A brutal, unrelenting pass rush can raise any team faster than adding offensive players. Hit Tom Brady 20 times on 60 dropbacks and he becomes very beatable.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:31 pm 
Policy Wonk

No doubt. They also jammed the receivers and did not allow them a quick release. Only Gronk, only Gronk.

You might have some issues to discuss about GB here shortly. Seems the coach wants a bit more FA talent and is at odds with the GM. I only know Bleacher Report articles, but it did make ESPN afternoon discussions.

I would like to welcome GB to the world of RFL NFL speculation...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:29 pm 
Board Emeritus

No doubt. They also jammed the receivers and did not allow them a quick release. Only Gronk, only Gronk.

You might have some issues to discuss about GB here shortly. Seems the coach wants a bit more FA talent and is at odds with the GM. I only know Bleacher Report articles, but it did make ESPN afternoon discussions.

I would like to welcome GB to the world of RFL NFL speculation...

I heard that allegation, but there hasn't been any follow-up. I'm sure McCarthy has a player or two that he wanted TT to get, and TT wouldn't. What head coach hasn't experienced that? However, McCarthy was recruited because he was committed to Draft and Develop and he's been a supporter of that process through the years.

This airing of dirty laundry a week or two after a loss is expected, but not all that reliable, I don't think. Maybe he said something in frustration. Most likely it was just a sports writer repeating a rumor.

Ultimately, McCarthy knows that TT gives him good talent out of the draft every year. The Packers drafted a Safety in Rd1 and a 1st year football player (corner) in the second round last year. The Packers turned them both into starting, premium corners in their rookie years...a premium skill position. They had a combined one year of college football at that position. The Packers get that kind of value added up and down the draft board year after year. They are card counters, getting value above position on nearly ever pick. I'm sure McCarthy knows how lucky he is to have the recruiting he does. Any anger is probably overblown.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:41 pm 
Board Emeritus

The 'topes will release Manziel March 9. They have to wait until then as that is after the start of the NFL year. Reported in Cleveland.com.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:46 pm 
Policy Wonk

I think Johnny has bigger problems then being cut. He does seem to have an addiction issue and seems to have been enabled for quite some time. His issues with the now ex girlfriend, his father saying he won't enter rehab, his agent dumping him, Lebron's company dumping him, that is a lot of pressure. Especially for someone so young.

I have admitted I never liked him, but wow, this is an implosion of epic proportions. Even Ryan Leaf is saying wow. NFL players have reached out to him. Family and business associates. I hope he steps back from the ledge and gets the help he needs.

Maybe Jerry can convince him to do rehab he is probably the only person who could reach him.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:54 pm 
Policy Wonk

The 'topes on the other hand have reached their hands out to the people of the state of Ohio. They seem to have convinced the state they deserve millions in incentives to have three weeks a year in Columbus during training camp.

Haslam has the biggest balls I have every seen. He gets Cleveland money to improve his stadium deal. He gets Berea money to build him better facilities. He donates money to charter schools, for a nice write off, while taking money from Cleveland, and yet expects the entire state to fund his marketing move into Columbus.

WTF!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:53 pm 
Board Emeritus

I think Johnny has bigger problems then being cut. He does seem to have an addiction issue and seems to have been enabled for quite some time. His issues with the now ex girlfriend, his father saying he won't enter rehab, his agent dumping him, Lebron's company dumping him, that is a lot of pressure. Especially for someone so young.

I have admitted I never liked him, but wow, this is an implosion of epic proportions. Even Ryan Leaf is saying wow. NFL players have reached out to him. Family and business associates. I hope he steps back from the ledge and gets the help he needs.

Maybe Jerry can convince him to do rehab he is probably the only person who could reach him.

Perhaps what we are seeing is a kid who always had it made suddenly running into a situation where everyone has always had it made. Every team with the possible exception of the 'topes ;) ) is an all-star team. Perhaps Manziel simply reached the level of his incompetency and cannot mentally handle it. Combined with an addiction problem and you get real potential for self-damage. Very unfortunate for him.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 2:31 pm 
Board Emeritus

Perhaps what we are seeing is a kid who always had it made suddenly running into a situation where everyone has always had it made. Every team with the possible exception of the 'topes ;) ) is an all-star team. Perhaps Manziel simply reached the level of his incompetency and cannot mentally handle it. Combined with an addiction problem and you get real potential for self-damage. Very unfortunate for him.

Chicken, or egg?

I think he's an addict. I also didn't expect him to be a successful NFL QB. Did adversity trigger his substance abuse? Or is the substance abuse the cause of the failure? Maybe the substance abuse has been there the whole time. Maybe, he just now reached the point where his addictive behavior overcomes his ability to overcome it.

I never felt bad for him until I decided he was an addict. Now I'm sorry that its come to where it has.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:36 pm 
Board Emeritus

Browns reportedly used concussion protocol to cover up for Manziel being drunk at a Wednesday practice.

http://mweb.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-fo ... ered-it-up

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:19 pm 
Policy Wonk

Silver has changed his tune. Probably doesn't want a lawsuit from some Doctors and others. He now regrets saying the 'topes lied. He probably should have gotten more then a player on record before posting his story.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:32 am 
Board Emeritus

cleveland.com is peppered with "draft bosa!", "draft goff/wentz!", "trade down! there is no QB worth the high pick!", "bosa's 40 time sucked therefore he sucks!".

and of course the occasional manziel comment.

dumpster fire burning bright! the signing of hue jackson maybe a good thing in the long run but anyone expecting suddenly a huge increase in the number of wins is smoking some serious stuff. 4-6 wins max no matter what happens in the draft and free agency. this is an entire new coaching staff with entire new defensive and offensive schemes.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:27 pm 
Board Emeritus

Maybe the Browns should stop trying to draft a QB, and instead trade for one. I'm sure the Packers would take a second round pick for our backup. There are other good QB schools.

Hundley cost us a 5th and 6th pick, but we turned him into, possibly, the most capable backup in the league in one year.

Many think he's ready or near ready to start, even though he never projected as a Starter. Drafting a QB is worthless if you can't develop him. Why not take one that somebody else has worked with. I'm not sure if it's reasonable to expect rookies to play QB anyway.

http://m.packers.com/news/article/brett ... sf21780941

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:59 pm 
Board Emeritus

I can't necessarily argue with you, jdogg.

And the dumpster fire is burning brighter. Lost 4 starters today. Mack, Schwartz, Benjamin and Gipson.

Granted they were starters on a very bad team but since there was interest from other teams they must still be viable.

Three wins next year might be stretching it...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:33 am 
Policy Wonk

Double post. I hate mobile safari.

Last edited by mcslain on Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:35 am 
Policy Wonk

4 starters gone, bad team but they were among the best on the bad team. They ran at Schwartz and pulled back their offer why? Mack I am sure their analyst sense said he is 30, let someone else overpay for declining years.

The more telling portion of the day is the targets they chose went elsewhere. Jones went to Detroit. Jones was a Hue guy, Jones was their focus (outside of their own FA), Jones chose a team with almost equal level of ineptitude, although they have the QB with thousands of yards of throwing. My hope was was Hue would be able to woo some young talent, but the primary choice came up short.

I believe this turn shows they are not going to buy FA talent. Either because they can't, which is probable, or because they won't which will be the spin.

Building through the draft and development is fine and proven. The issue they have is it will take time and involves commitment. I am sure in GB or Pitt, that for every blue chip that is developed there are at least four failures. Spotting the right talent to develop takes a certain eye, do they have the eyes to see it? Will the fans and owner have the patience to wait it out?

I tend to doubt it.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:40 am 
Political Junkie

Not totally confused: I see no member named “yoo_hoo_sallie.”
She must be the code word for sports bookie!

I’m just here for the Rapture of it all.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:05 am 
Board Emeritus

Not totally confused: I see no member named “yoo_hoo_sallie.”
She must be the code word for sports bookie!

"Sallie" is cqsallie who posts occasionally. She used to post much more often but hasn't of late. She is an avid Cleveland Browns fan as is myself and mcslain. Unfortunately we have had to suffer through incompetence since the team returned in '99.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 694 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28  Next