RadioFreeLiberal.com

Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 694 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 28  Next
 Post subject: yoo hoo sallie!
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:19 am 
Board Emeritus

oy.

did the browns look terrible on sunday or what?

no running game. hillis injured. mccoy completes less than 50% of his passes but no picks.

i am revising my prediction. 5-11 to 7-9 at best.

shurmur is over his head. heckert/homgren blew that one. you can't run the west coast offense without quality wideouts. they ain't got 'em.

"No one is so foolish as to choose war over peace. In peace sons bury their fathers, in war fathers bury their sons." - Herodotus

The new motto of the USA: Unum de multis. Out of one, many.

Post subject: Re: yoo hoo sallie!
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:20 am 
Board Emeritus

Oh! Stop It, bird! I am no longer optimistic. Shurmur never played in the NFL, and IIRC has never coached an NFL team before. Guess it's hard to attract quality when your team isn't all that great. Are the Browns going to continue to rely on having first round draft picks and going through quarterbacks?
I'm so sad, bird....

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:46 am 
Policy Wonk

Hillis - coaches decision, hamstring is announced, a yet he goes back in to block? Great asset turing into a huge issue, no one to blame but H&H and Shurmur. If he isn't your guy then say so and move on. They signed their guy who proceeded to get turf toe and is out for the season. Trade Hillis before he walks, they have burned the bridge with him.

Cribbs - Mangini was faulted for not wanting to pay him huge money, Mangini's issue was that kind of money required him to be a good wide receiver. H&H disagreed and paid him the money, and pants their coach. Now Cribbs wants to be back on special teams, becauase he feels he is insignifigant on o and that special teams needs his attention. No doubt they do, but now I guess we will have a very expensive special teams player. I hope returns to that role and excels.

Coaching - They came off the bye, and stunk. Why? Why could they not be ready? Is it too early? We are not half way through the season and we seem to have more questions, then we did before the season began.

H&H - They said they needed no wide receivers, Carlton Mitchell and Greg Little were going to step up, MoMass and Robiskie would blossom under WCO. Hmmmm, maybe not. Little may still develop, but I think we can close the books on Robiskie. Wonder why Evan Moore cannot be used in the slot or even on the outside. He is huge and can leap and catches everyhting you throw his way.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:40 pm 
Board Emeritus

Oh! Stop It, bird! I am no longer optimistic. Shurmur never played in the NFL, and IIRC has never coached an NFL team before. Guess it's hard to attract quality when your team isn't all that great. Are the Browns going to continue to rely on having first round draft picks and going through quarterbacks?
I'm so sad, bird....

shurmur was an offensive coordinator, iirc. but has never been a head coach. perhaps he is an example of the peter principle? he has risen to the level of his incompetence.

well, getting good first round draft choices isn't a bad thing but how long can this go on?

sorry to make you sad sallie :happy:

"No one is so foolish as to choose war over peace. In peace sons bury their fathers, in war fathers bury their sons." - Herodotus

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:47 pm 
Board Emeritus

Hillis - coaches decision, hamstring is announced, a yet he goes back in to block? Great asset turing into a huge issue, no one to blame but H&H and Shurmur. If he isn't your guy then say so and move on. They signed their guy who proceeded to get turf toe and is out for the season. Trade Hillis before he walks, they have burned the bridge with him.

Cribbs - Mangini was faulted for not wanting to pay him huge money, Mangini's issue was that kind of money required him to be a good wide receiver. H&H disagreed and paid him the money, and pants their coach. Now Cribbs wants to be back on special teams, becauase he feels he is insignifigant on o and that special teams needs his attention. No doubt they do, but now I guess we will have a very expensive special teams player. I hope returns to that role and excels.

Coaching - They came off the bye, and stunk. Why? Why could they not be ready? Is it too early? We are not half way through the season and we seem to have more questions, then we did before the season began.

H&H - They said they needed no wide receivers, Carlton Mitchell and Greg Little were going to step up, MoMass and Robiskie would blossom under WCO. Hmmmm, maybe not. Little may still develop, but I think we can close the books on Robiskie. Wonder why Evan Moore cannot be used in the slot or even on the outside. He is huge and can leap and catches everyhting you throw his way.

can't argue with any of what you said mcslain.

holmgren f'ed up the hillis contract issue. they should simply have said that they do not discuss contracts in public. but no, he said they were trying to get a deal done. now the court of public opinion will be on hillis' side.

have yet to even hear carlton mitchell mentioned. what is up with that? greg little is still learning so i can't fault him too much. moore who has shown good hands has become invisible. hardesty is a work in progress and will be due to his being put back a year because of the injury and surgery. massaquoi and robiskie simply cannot cut it. robiskie couldn't get open against my fat, slow ass and massaquoi is simplly a second or third receiver at best.

aw, poop.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:31 am 
Policy Wonk

I am not a huge H&H fan, and I feel Shurmur did nothing to establish himself in St. L., at least nothing thats says he is a prodigy. I understand the wish for H&H to feel comfortable in their environment, but as I read more and more about what they have done, my concern for the Browns leave me less then optimistic. Here is a little bit from an article shortly before the Big Show left Seattle, all I will ask is does it sound familiar?

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/ ... -time-warp

In that context, it's puzzling how the Seattle passing game can remain so ineffective week after week. We should expect it to struggle given the injuries. But we should also see signs of improvement as Holmgren and the players work through their problems, particularly given the relative strength of the running game. Why aren't we seeing improvement?

And yet the passing offense averaged 2.6 yards per attempt from base personnel and 2.4 yards per attempt from the preferred three-receiver offense. That seems inexcusable and inexplicable for a team that still has Bobby Engram and John Carlson.

I do not know if I can blame Mr. Lerner. He has not shown much interest in the team, and has been reactionary in almost every decision he has made. He sees a SB winning coach become available, and he jumps at the opportunity to get him. He honestly does not sem to be that bright. Look at the financial mess his personal life has become.

I think Cleveland Browns fans are in for a long decade.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:58 am 
Board Emeritus

I am not a huge H&H fan, and I feel Shurmur did nothing to establish himself in St. L., at least nothing thats says he is a prodigy. I understand the wish for H&H to feel comfortable in their environment, but as I read more and more about what they have done, my concern for the Browns leave me less then optimistic. Here is a little bit from an article shortly before the Big Show left Seattle, all I will ask is does it sound familiar?

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/ ... -time-warp

In that context, it's puzzling how the Seattle passing game can remain so ineffective week after week. We should expect it to struggle given the injuries. But we should also see signs of improvement as Holmgren and the players work through their problems, particularly given the relative strength of the running game. Why aren't we seeing improvement?

And yet the passing offense averaged 2.6 yards per attempt from base personnel and 2.4 yards per attempt from the preferred three-receiver offense. That seems inexcusable and inexplicable for a team that still has Bobby Engram and John Carlson.

I do not know if I can blame Mr. Lerner. He has not shown much interest in the team, and has been reactionary in almost every decision he has made. He sees a SB winning coach become available, and he jumps at the opportunity to get him. He honestly does not sem to be that bright. Look at the financial mess his personal life has become.

I think Cleveland Browns fans are in for a long decade.

yeah, sadly it does sound familiar. i don't have a problem if lerner is hands off but he shouldn't be ignoring the situation either. in the long run that will hurt him if enough butts aren't in the seats. i heard an interesting comment on the new sports talk station yesterday. the guys were saying that the nfl has changed and then laid out the following example: when shula was coach of the dolphins and had csonka, kiick and morris his position was run the ball. later when he got marino and clayton and duper it was pass the ball. coaches nowadays all come with a system and they try to bash the players to fit their system instead of fitting their coaching to the players they have.

and, yes, it looks like it will be a long decade. however i do like how the defense seems to have improved but even there we have the old statistics lie scenario. supposedly the browns are 7th in defense in terms of yards allowed. sorry but that really doesn't mean much if you can't prevent the opponent from winning. granted your offense has to score but the defense still must protect a lead or prevent a lead from increasing.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:01 pm 
Board Emeritus

yeah, sadly it does sound familiar. i don't have a problem if lerner is hands off but he shouldn't be ignoring the situation either. in the long run that will hurt him if enough butts aren't in the seats. i heard an interesting comment on the new sports talk station yesterday. the guys were saying that the nfl has changed and then laid out the following example: when shula was coach of the dolphins and had csonka, kiick and morris his position was run the ball. later when he got marino and clayton and duper it was pass the ball. coaches nowadays all come with a system and they try to bash the players to fit their system instead of fitting their coaching to the players they have.
and, yes, it looks like it will be a long decade. however i do like how the defense seems to have improved but even there we have the old statistics lie scenario. supposedly the browns are 7th in defense in terms of yards allowed. sorry but that really doesn't mean much if you can't prevent the opponent from winning. granted your offense has to score but the defense still must protect a lead or prevent a lead from increasing.

Now you got it! The tendency of the last three Browns coaches to "bash" players into their systems has been tragic. That's what I'm alluding to when I talk about first-round draft pics and running through class-act quarterbacks. We saw it with Romeo Crennel, Eric Mangini and now Pat Shurmur. This is disastrous when there's a new head coach every couple of years (or less). Crennel lasted what? three seasons? Mangini was good for two and Shurmur took the reins this season. So what do we have? Three coaches with three different coaching styles and playbooks in the space of three-and-a-half seasons.
Hey! I've been gone for a while, just did a search on Browns coaches. It's amazing how short-lived they've been. Of course, Paul Brown lasted about 20 years - the Glory Years....
Do you suppose that we Browns fans are too quick to scream, "Off with his head!"?
Sallie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:26 pm 
Board Emeritus

Great source of news for Browns fans - or fans of any team, college or pro, any sport:
http://co109w.col109.mail.live.com/defa ... 7b20e&fv=1
I would really recommend Bleacher Report, which culls its articles from contributors, local sports writers, ESPN, etc. All in one concise daily newsletter....

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:37 pm 
Board Emeritus

Now you got it! The tendency of the last three Browns coaches to "bash" players into their systems has been tragic. That's what I'm alluding to when I talk about first-round draft pics and running through class-act quarterbacks. We saw it with Romeo Crennel, Eric Mangini and now Pat Shurmur. This is disastrous when there's a new head coach every couple of years (or less). Crennel lasted what? three seasons? Mangini was good for two and Shurmur took the reins this season. So what do we have? Three coaches with three different coaching styles and playbooks in the space of three-and-a-half seasons.
Hey! I've been gone for a while, just did a search on Browns coaches. It's amazing how short-lived they've been. Of course, Paul Brown lasted about 20 years - the Glory Years....
Do you suppose that we Browns fans are too quick to scream, "Off with his head!"?
Sallie

the nfl has become "what have you done for me lately?" of course the fans are a part of that as well. the coaches that win last. if a coach happens to win a super bowl he is guaranteed a long honeymoon of not so good teams unless he has an abrasive personality or the teams become truly atrocious.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 4:47 pm 
Board Emeritus

ok. that was a pile of shit.

6 to 3???

the cardinals and rangers will score more runs than that.

west coast offense my ass.

montario hardesty averages under three yards per carry. 33 carries for 95 yards.

don't know if hillis would do better but when he is healthy they better put his ass back in and he better produce.

and find some damn wideouts.

btw, i heard the guys on the fm sports station tlaking about carlton mitchell. thet said taht the browns asked 4 questions internally about him:

1) does he have speed?
2) can he run a route?
3) can he run a route effectively?
4) can he catch the ball?

the answers were: yes, no, no, no.

so much for him.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:34 pm 
Board Emeritus

Oh, god, bird! You're correct! That looks more like MLB, or NHL, or FIFA score than an NFL outcome. We can look at it two ways:
1) The defensive teams were superb
2) The offensive teams sucked
3) Both
I'm losing my religion....
Sallie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:27 pm 
Policy Wonk

btw, i heard the guys on the fm sports station tlaking about carlton mitchell. thet said taht the browns asked 4 questions internally about him:

1) does he have speed?
2) can he run a route?
3) can he run a route effectively?
4) can he catch the ball?

the answers were: yes, no, no, no.

so much for him.

I don't know, I think his 9 yards of rushing over the course of two seasons says an awful lot.

The only reason I even brought him up was all the hype from H&H about his talent and potential.

Honestly makes me wonder how much of the Green Bay run was Farve, Sharpe, Reggie White, Desmond Howard? How much of Seattle was Hasselbeck, Shaun Alexander, Darrell Jackson, Bobby Engram, Joe Jurevicius?

6 - 3, yikes, neither team should be happy about that.

Wonder what SF 49ers will do to them?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:35 pm 
Policy Wonk

Quote:
I would really recommend Bleacher Report, which culls its articles from contributors, local sports writers, ESPN, etc. All in one concise daily newsletter....

You are correct. I would highly recommend this wonderful, and very knowledgeable writer.

http://bleacherreport.com/users/1239-mike-allen

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:03 am 
Board Emeritus

I don't know, I think his 9 yards of rushing over the course of two seasons says an awful lot.

The only reason I even brought him up was all the hype from H&H about his talent and potential.

Honestly makes me wonder how much of the Green Bay run was Farve, Sharpe, Reggie White, Desmond Howard? How much of Seattle was Hasselbeck, Shaun Alexander, Darrell Jackson, Bobby Engram, Joe Jurevicius?

6 - 3, yikes, neither team should be happy about that.

Wonder what SF 49ers will do to them?

thank goodness i wasn't drinking anything when i read that.

i think you bring up a valid point regarding the players. i also think that having a coach that can put the players in good positions to make plays helps as well.

as for what will happen in sf, i think the browns lose by at least two td's.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:33 pm 
Board Emeritus

You are correct. I would highly recommend this wonderful, and very knowledgeable writer.

http://bleacherreport.com/users/1239-mike-allen

Definitely! New today on The Browns:
http://co109w.col109.mail.live.com/defa ... 3360c&fv=1
And, btw: Bleacher Report is always on the lookout for contributors. Some of you guys are so damned savvy on the subject of the NFL. You'd be naturals and have some real stuff to contribute.
Also, btw: There is actually an article in today's report about how Cleveland can defeat SF. Pretty amazing, eh?
Sallie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:02 pm 
Policy Wonk

Of course they will beat the 49ers, there can be no doubt.....

* Shurmur said he still expects wide receiver Carlton Mitchell to be active on Sunday.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.s ... incart_hbx

Colt McCoy will pass for 400 yards, just to Carlton Mitchell, and then after the game Shurmur will deck Hargbaugh, before Harbaugh attempts to bitch slap him.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:37 am 
Board Emeritus

was i surprised?

no.

revising prediction.

3-13 to 5-11.

the browns have regressed. yes, i know that hillis is missing. yes, i know that hardesty is now injured. that is not a shock as he has a history of injuries. but he also is not a competent replacement for hillis. mccoy looks uncertain. i think that he was and is not h & h's choice for quarterback. granted they will not win the andrew luck lose-a-thon but they will likely seek out a replacement for mccoy in the next draft. i have lost any faith i had in mccoy. he just never seemed quite up to the task. yes, he won some games but overall not really impressive as a quarterback. that is all subjective but still...

the o line has regressed. their wideouts flat-out suck. you cannot run the west coast offense without quality wideouts. was this the plan of h & H? have mccoy run an offense without the weapons so they can say he just hasn't progressed before kicking him to the curb? or am i paranoid?

as for the coach, well that is something else. his hiring is a major cock-up. he does not belong as a head coach.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:12 am 
Policy Wonk

The injury to Hillis is becomming the new mulligan. The team that has dicked around with the breakout star by not signing him, it is now using him as the reason too lament of why things do no work.

My observation would be that H&H thought too much of Tony Pashos and did little to bolster the line. Their late trades and waiver wire pick ups would be fine if injury was the cause, but IMO the cause was poor evaluation of talent.

They were equally confident in the wideouts, claiming no one needs to be brought in. Yet not a single receiver has stepped into a role.

They were also quite casual in find their running back. No doubt they felt Brandon Jackson was their man, but alas he went out before the season began. No worries, Montario is their man. He just can't catch a ball making him an odd choice for a WC rb, especially considering he is prone to injury.

They may win a few more games, given the any given Sunday mantra. St Louis just beat NO, yet I doubt anyone moves them up on their power charts. So the Browns may find an ugly win or two before the season completes.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:10 pm 
Board Emeritus

The injury to Hillis is becomming the new mulligan. The team that has dicked around with the breakout star by not signing him, it is now using him as the reason too lament of why things do no work.

My observation would be that H&H thought too much of Tony Pashos and did little to bolster the line. Their late trades and waiver wire pick ups would be fine if injury was the cause, but IMO the cause was poor evaluation of talent.

They were equally confident in the wideouts, claiming no one needs to be brought in. Yet not a single receiver has stepped into a role.

They were also quite casual in find their running back. No doubt they felt Brandon Jackson was their man, but alas he went out before the season began. No worries, Montario is their man. He just can't catch a ball making him an odd choice for a WC rb, especially considering he is prone to injury.

They may win a few more games, given the any given Sunday mantra. St Louis just beat NO, yet I doubt anyone moves them up on their power charts. So the Browns may find an ugly win or two before the season completes.

agreed. while putting a management team in place was very important, of more importance was putting a competent management team in place. some good choices of players have been made such as taylor and sheard beyond that they have only tinkered and this team was way past tinkering. i wonder if we are seeing the peter principle at work on multiple levels here.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:45 pm 
Policy Wonk

Brian Robiskie was cut, so I guess a final evaluation of his talent has taken place.

How often do starters get cut during the season? Was the tape on him from 2009, 2010 not enough to make the case? So seven weeks in, seven weeks where Little could have gotten more playing time, we cut him.

In H&H we trust!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:25 pm 
Board Emeritus

You'd be surprised the number of so-called fans who blame everything on two people:
1) The coach
2) The quarterback
Sometimes you'll hear them yell, "Sack the quarterback! Sack the quarterback!" thereby giving some of the blame to the defense which is supposed to sack the quarterback every single time - all them.
But usually, it's the coach for calling a stupid play and/or the inability of the quarterback to fend off a defensive attack and complete the coach's stupid play.
You guys know your football. You watch the games, you study the stats, you know a missed tackle or block when you see it. You know whether the dropped pass was the fault of the QB or the WR. You know how a bad attitude affects a team, even when a player looks good to the fans.
Hanging out with you here on this forum is great. I just wanted to say how much I respect and value your opinions, bird and mcslain. Thanks!
Sallie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:21 am 
Board Emeritus

Brian Robiskie was cut, so I guess a final evaluation of his talent has taken place.

How often do starters get cut during the season? Was the tape on him from 2009, 2010 not enough to make the case? So seven weeks in, seven weeks where Little could have gotten more playing time, we cut him.

In H&H we trust!

so robiskie was cut to add a running back. interesting. i am starting to wonder if hillis will play again this year. i wouldn't be surprised if he suddenly "aggravates" his hamstring before this game and then is "done" for at least three more weeks at which time he will be "rusty" and not ready to "contribute yet." i also agree re: why cutting robiskie wasn't doen sooner. they knew what they had there yet the kept him.

btw, thanks to sallie for the kind words.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 4:36 pm 
Policy Wonk

Said Wallace: "Yes, it did get on some people's nerves that he was throwing balls when he was injured. But at the end of the day, it's his last name on the back of his jersey, and he has to decide how he wants to represent himself."
http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.s ... lis_9.html

First: Let me say, I amazed at what passes for journalism in Cleveland. Thank goodness we can now see why Seneca (I will never see the field) Wallace got that big contract. Need an inside team member to bad mouth the one bright spot from last year.

Second: I do not believe he will ever play in Cleveland again. He is hurt, other links at Cleveland.com confirm the injury. Yet the paper continues to badger a guy who did nothing but give the town hope for a season, and actually put them on the ESPN map. If not for his devistating runs, there was no offense last year.

It is sad. I liked the guy. I liked watching him crush dbs. I do not think he is a feature back and totally respect looking for more running backs. But wow! Talk about total 180 in less then a year. Just wow.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:19 pm 
Board Emeritus

Said Wallace: "Yes, it did get on some people's nerves that he was throwing balls when he was injured. But at the end of the day, it's his last name on the back of his jersey, and he has to decide how he wants to represent himself."
http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.s ... lis_9.html

First: Let me say, I amazed at what passes for journalism in Cleveland. Thank goodness we can now see why Seneca (I will never see the field) Wallace got that big contract. Need an inside team member to bad mouth the one bright spot from last year.

Second: I do not believe he will ever play in Cleveland again. He is hurt, other links at Cleveland.com confirm the injury. Yet the paper continues to badger a guy who did nothing but give the town hope for a season, and actually put them on the ESPN map. If not for his devistating runs, there was no offense last year.

It is sad. I liked the guy. I liked watching him crush dbs. I do not think he is a feature back and totally respect looking for more running backs. But wow! Talk about total 180 in less then a year. Just wow.

agreed all the way around mcslain.

no offense today.

no defense today. which just shows how stupid the defense rankings by yards are. the only defensive stats that matter are points allowed and wins/losses. the browns defense doesn't have it.

this was the low point so far. completely outplayed, outcoached. the hillis mess. the pathetic running backs. the lack of quality wideouts. the lousy offensive line with no depth. mccoy getting hammered. the coaching staff thinking they can take a college qb who played almost exclusively from the shotgun in college while also moving out of the pocket and turn him into a pocket passer that plays under center. unfortunately with three wins they are out of the andrew luck derby. they may win one more game at st. louis. but i won't bet on it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 694 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 28  Next