RadioFreeLiberal.com

Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:15 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:33 pm 
Board Emeritus

The 2017 F1 World Championship has been decided, and surprise surprise (not), it's Hamilton. Had Ferrari not screwed up in every way imaginable, and had Vettel not driven with his balls instead of his head, things might have been different. Instead, #4 for Lewis.

Hamilton and Vettel had a testosterone excess on the first lap of the Mexican Grand Prix, and both dropped to the back of the pack after pit stops for repairs. Hamilton did not need to win, but Vettel needed to be first or second, which he wasn't. Game over.

2 races to go, but this season is pretty much old news. Everyone's working on next year. Alonso has signed with McLaren, and they'll be switching engine suppliers. Danny Kviat appears gone from Toro Rosso. Presumably Massa will retire, again. Bunch of new young drivers, again. Driving F1 is currently like classical music. You know by age 8 if you're good, and if you are you don't do anything else. Good drivers, boring people.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:09 pm 
Board Emeritus

F1, under the ownership of a right wing US media conglomerate called Liberty Media, continues to change while not changing. This apparent paradox is not a paradox. It is the normal functioning of F1.

What did change is that they have eliminated the "shark fin" on the cars. This was an aerodynamic stabilizer, looking like something aeronautical, with a weird T bar on top. The T bar looked like some kind of FM antenna. McLaren vetoed the motion to retain the fin, so it's gone. They did not veto it to improve the aerodynamics of their car. Performance? You kidding? It was to improve the sight lines for advertising on the rear wing. Really. So they can get more for it.

Money makes the cars go round, the cars go round, the cars go round.........

Lots of new drivers next year. You're gonna need an app to keep them straight. F1 has a nice one...... for a price.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 1:30 pm 
Board Emeritus

Did it again.

Just watched Abu Dhabi qualifiying, I race in a game and that is one of the tracks I race at, like that one.

But Lewis Hamilton now has to be mentioned with the all times, Alain Prost, Ayrton Senna.
Michael Schumacher.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 4:36 pm 
Board Emeritus

Mercedes typically dominates at that track, right in the shadow of Ferrari World. Hamilton won this year's championship fair and square, and he deserves it. He IS dominant in the manner of Schumacher et al.

The Abu Dhabi track makes me nervous. It reminds me of a theme park. Actually, one end of it, Ferrari World, IS a theme park. Everything's too clean, and too slick, and like many products of F1's former Gnome of London billionaire phase, it's really intended for people other than us. Check the size of that yacht blocking the view of the track. The only other place you see those is Monaco.

Did you know that those ads in the runoff areas are keyed in? That's why it's that weird light blue color, even though everyone else in the civilized world keys on super-saturated green. They're very proud of how well that works. Sometimes when they go to another angle on the same spot, you see only the blue.

You must have noticed that bizarre MISSION WINNOW art all over the Ferraris. That's so Philip Morris can advertise on the Ferrari without plugging tobacco products (banned). I'm sure Ferrari likes the money. Who wouldn't? MISSION WINNOW is a weird corporate Thing that purports to be researching a less harmful substitute to tobacco. Oh, right, sure. It's researching a better way to do an ad deal with Ferrari F1.

At least the race is always good there. Developing...

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:05 pm 
Board Emeritus

I should add that anyone who's confused about the apparent contradiction should note that the first posts to this thread were in the 2017 season. Now it's the 2018 season. It ended today, and frankly, not a minute too soon. I was getting sick of Hamilton, Vettel, and Verstappen being on every podium.

F1 is not very competitive. All McLaren, then all Red Bull, then all Mercedes, with one delightful interlude when Mercedes wasn't Mercedes yet, and its precursor was Ross Brawn's scrappy little team. Seems as if there's always one car/driver combination that can just dominate everything.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:14 pm 
Board Emeritus

change the rules

make it more comp

NASCAR does this though if I see Gibbs racing win another one I will scream , fucking racist

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:34 pm 
Board Emeritus

NASCAR gave in to the Great God Television and made too much of itself. How many damn championship series do they have? And now they run the races in stages, which has its advantages I suppose, but it's awfully confusing otherwise. I like races where the guy who's ahead at the end of the last lap wins. And they have playoffs, like the NFL. I mean, really.

Fortunately, back in F1, Hamilton is a popular champion. The guy is likeable, he drives like a champ, and he's of color. I get tired of him hanging in L.A. doing superficial rich-boy stuff, but then he's earned it. He wasn't born to it, like most of the shitheads in L.A..

It's a good idea to make F1 more competitive. I'm wondering how we could do that. It's not like ball games where you can have the teams with the worst records get the first shot at the best players. It's not really even about the money. Ferrari probably spends as much as Mercedes, but they can't consistently run with them. You can't just insist that everyone use the exact same car, or the factory teams will drop out.

????????????????

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:12 pm 
Board Emeritus

Money does have a lot to do with it though, otherwise you would not have 3 dominant teams, race in race out and everyone else never a chance at being on the podium.

I dont know the specifics of course, that is above my pay grade.

NASCAR attendance drops almost weekly, amazing how bad it has become. They are moving away from a sponsor owning the race rights, wont be Winston or Monster or whatever after next year, is what I read. They want to go the NFL, NBA and MLB way of doing things. Though not sure what that means exactly.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:55 pm 
Board Emeritus

Judging from the way it's been structuring everything, NASCAR's biggest problem seems to be NFL Envy.