Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Sat May 26, 2018 8:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:59 pm 
Board Emeritus

...I'm ready for the Winter Olympics!

And curling! And figure skating! And curling! And speed skating! And curling! And the Bobsled! And curling! And ski jumping! And curling!

Curling is like chess on ice... Go Team Canada! (USA can't compete in curling)

Admittedly, I did not come up with the phrase, but I'm nearly positive that I got it from one of my white nationalist buddies. It just fits so well.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:38 pm 
Board Emeritus

I love curling

Stop calling the cops on us.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:08 am 
Board Emeritus

I guess the NFL’s vested interest in having the Patriots win was missing.

This was, without a doubt, the best Super Bowl ever, period.

That being said, Brady should have retired last year. While he played well in the regular season and the post-season the years are mounting.

"No one is so foolish as to choose war over peace. In peace sons bury their fathers, in war fathers bury their sons." - Herodotus

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:21 am 
Board Emeritus

Who was playing? Who lost?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:40 am 
Board Emeritus

I guess the NFL’s vested interest in having the Patriots win was missing.

This was, without a doubt, the best Super Bowl ever, period.

That being said, Brady should have retired last year. While he played well in the regular season and the post-season the years are mounting.

Two key decisions went for the Eagles. I guess the officials were aware that they had a habit of making all kinds of calls favorable to the Pats and didn't want to hand the game to them like they usually do with everyone watching.

Admittedly, I did not come up with the phrase, but I'm nearly positive that I got it from one of my white nationalist buddies. It just fits so well.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:14 am 
Board Emeritus

Two key decisions went for the Eagles. I guess the officials were aware that they had a habit of making all kinds of calls favorable to the Pats and didn't want to hand the game to them like they usually do with everyone watching.

No, they don’t and didn’t. Why have the Patriots lost 4 Superbowls?

The problem with officiating in the NFL is that the officials are not professionals. Officiating should be their only job but the NFL doesn’t grasp that. Basically the NFL and the NBA have altered their respective games so much that they are becoming unwatchable. Their could be holding on every single NFL play and traveling on every single NBA play. While there are occasions when MBL umpires screw up as a group they are far better at officiating than the other two sports.

"No one is so foolish as to choose war over peace. In peace sons bury their fathers, in war fathers bury their sons." - Herodotus

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:23 am 
Board Emeritus

BTW, another controversy over an ad ... they used MLK Jr.'s Feb. 4th, 1968 speech .... to sell Ram pickup trucks.

RAM DEFENDS SUPER BOWL AD, SAYS MARTIN LUTHER KING ESTATE APPROVED IT
http://adage.com/article/special-report ... ed/312251/

Fiat Chrysler Automobiles on Sunday night defended a polarizing Super Bowl ad for its Ram brand that used a Martin Luther King Jr. speech delivered 50 years ago. The spot drew criticism on social media immediately after it aired in the game's second quarter. Some observers knocked it for being tone deaf. But the company said it worked in collaboration with Martin Luther King Jr.'s estate on the spot.

"It is 50 years to the day that Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. gave such a tremendous speech about the value of service. Ram was honored to have the privilege of working with the Estate of Martin Luther King Jr. to celebrate those words during the largest TV viewing event annually," the company stated. "We worked closely with the representatives of the Martin Luther King Jr. estate to receive the necessary approvals and estate representatives were a very important part of the creative process every step of the way."

As the ad was being assailed on Twitter, another entity, The King Center, made it clear it had nothing to do with it. The center was founded by King's wife, Coretta Scott King, as a living memorial to the civil rights icon.

The ad, by a Chicago-based boutique ad agency called Highdive, used the audio of an MLK speech delivered on Feb. 4, 1968, against a montage of everyday people, along with shots of the Ram 1500 truck. The ad sought to portray a message of service. On its website, Ram plugs "Ram Nation," an organization of Ram owners that engages in service projects.

[snip][end]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:33 am 
Board Emeritus

Because they should have gone to the Eagles.

1. Clement's touchdown. Look at the film. The ball was still clearly in his grasp when his left big toe touched the line. It slipped down after his toe touched the line. He's out of bounds. It doesn't matter what happens to the ball after the player goes out of bounds. Chris Collinsworth is an idiot who should know the rules if he's going to do NFL color. Collinsworth and everybody else on the planet gets to have an opinion if Clement "appeared" to be bobbling or not while he was putting his two feet in. It did not "appear" so to me.
2. Ertz touchdown. Ertz caught the ball, had it in both hands for three strides, and dove for the line. Three steps with secure possession makes you a runner with the ball. When a runner with the ball dives for the line, and breaks the plane with secure possession of the ball...even if it's only with one hand...and the ball comes out with contact to the ground...it's a goddamm touchdown. Whether Chris Collinsworth thinks so or not.

Quote:
Just as fortunately for the NFL, both rulings were correct, regardless of what analyst Cris Collinsworth said during the NBC broadcast or what Patriots fans may have thought.

Tight end Zach Ertz’s go-ahead touchdown for the Eagles with a little more than two minutes to play was followed by the replay review that comes after any scoring play. There was some reason for the Eagles to be wary, given that Ertz lunged for the end zone at the end of the play and held out the football, which hit the turf and came free from Ertz’s grasp.
- WAPO 2/5/18

The replay was instituted to determine "obvious" errors by field officials in all sports where replay is used. If the call is going to be determined by how it "appears" on the replay which is the prevailing language being used this morning...it should be left to how it "appeared" on the field. If the officials in NYC don't have enough information on the replay to reverse an obviously bad call on the field...the call on the field is supposed to stand. These are the guidelines that are supposed to be used in all sports that utilize replay.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:10 pm 
Board Emeritus

It's said defense wins Super Bowls but this game was an offensive game with the defense only impacting the game at the end. Both team put up a total 1,151 yards of offense.

The 4th and goal trick play where Foles caught the touchdown pass will be remembered as the best Super Bowl play for a long time.

As for the two "controversial" Eagles touchdowns, the calls and subsequent reviews got them right.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:32 pm 
Board Emeritus

I think the TDs were legal. The announcers seemed a bit biased all through the game. Perhaps The Cult of Brady got in the way.

That trick play at the end was a new one on me. I still can't quite figure out what they did. Sure worked though... they got the QB eligible, and wide open in the end zone. Dizzy.

Oh, and curling is a great game. The strategy is indeed as ruthless as chess, not to mention having to think several moves ahead. The concentration must be incredible. The women's eyes always pop out.

"One bomb was shown on TV, and the American people bought that war. War is show business."
--"Wag the Dog"

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:09 pm 
Board Emeritus

I think the TDs were legal. The announcers seemed a bit biased all through the game. Perhaps The Cult of Brady got in the way.

That trick play at the end was a new one on me. I still can't quite figure out what they did. Sure worked though... they got the QB eligible, and wide open in the end zone. Dizzy.

I was confused at first like almost everyone else but in the replay it made sense. Foles lined up in the shotgun formation (which made him pass eligible) and then went to the line as if he was changing the play. When he stopped, the center hiked the ball to the running back who handed the tight end who threw the ball to Foles.

Quote:
Oh, and curling is a great game. The strategy is indeed as ruthless as chess, not to mention having to think several moves ahead. The concentration must be incredible. The women's eyes always pop out.

Curling is a lot like lawn bowling in strategy but it's not a sport I can get into but it is funny to see them using the brooms to sweep the ice in front of the stone. Although, it's more interesting than watching soccer and just above watching paint dry. The bobsleigh and luge are about the only sports I think I could watch.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:11 pm 
Board Emeritus

They used to use actual brooms like you'd sweep the floor with, and that looked downright Dada. Now of course they have something designed for the purpose and probably expensive.

I was attracted to curling for its sheer strangeness, but then I discovered that it was one of the more strategic games out there. The better plays are absolutely ruthless. They're vicious without being violent, the way chess is. If hockey wasn't the Canadian national sport, curling likely would be.

They also aren't wearing skates. How they stay standing up is beyond me.

"One bomb was shown on TV, and the American people bought that war. War is show business."
--"Wag the Dog"

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:43 pm 
Board Emeritus

Because they should have gone to the Eagles.

1. Clement's touchdown. Look at the film. The ball was still clearly in his grasp when his left big toe touched the line. It slipped down after his toe touched the line. He's out of bounds. It doesn't matter what happens to the ball after the player goes out of bounds. Chris Collinsworth is an idiot who should know the rules if he's going to do NFL color. Collinsworth and everybody else on the planet gets to have an opinion if Clement "appeared" to be bobbling or not while he was putting his two feet in. It did not "appear" so to me.
2. Ertz touchdown. Ertz caught the ball, had it in both hands for three strides, and dove for the line. Three steps with secure possession makes you a runner with the ball. When a runner with the ball dives for the line, and breaks the plane with secure possession of the ball...even if it's only with one hand...and the ball comes out with contact to the ground...it's a goddamm touchdown. Whether Chris Collinsworth thinks so or not.

- WAPO 2/5/18

The replay was instituted to determine "obvious" errors by field officials in all sports where replay is used. If the call is going to be determined by how it "appears" on the replay which is the prevailing language being used this morning...it should be left to how it "appeared" on the field. If the officials in NYC don't have enough information on the replay to reverse an obviously bad call on the field...the call on the field is supposed to stand. These are the guidelines that are supposed to be used in all sports that utilize replay.

Yup. Both plays were called correctly. However this complete the catch bullshit after a guy takes two or three steps is just that, bullshit. Don't give me this control crap. That is one reason the NFL pisses me off (not to mention Cleveland doesn't have a pro team :tongue: ). The same goes for the NBA. Crab Step, jump step, crossover dribble. Those are just traveling, traveling and carrying the ball.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:12 pm 

Curling is awesome and all, but seriously, it's curling. If curling is an Olympic sport, than what argument could you have against making snowball fights an Olympic sport?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:26 am 
Policy Wonk

its ok though it was only an expression of sports vanity not over injustice or police shootings or like kneeling for the national anthem.

Riots erupt in Philadelphia streets after Eagles Super Bowl win

Quote:
Shortly after the final whistle, Philadelphia Eagles supporters came out en masse to celebrate their team's victory over the New England Patriots and the Eagles's first-ever Super Bowl victory in franchise history.

The festivities, however, weren't without instances of vandalism and looting by some fans.

Between the "E-A-G-L-E-S, Eagles" chants, some fans flipped over a car.

Aerial images from CNN affiliate WPVI showed fans packing Broad Street leading up to Philadelphia City Hall. Fans crammed the streets shoulder to shoulder.

Most of downtown Philly was packed Sunday evening, with celebrants braving the cold weather. Adults, elderly fans, children and even infants were out to share the win.

Police had anticipated the debauchery and greased the light poles, but not even hydraulic fluid was able to keep one brave booster from scaling it.

Other fans scrambled up poles on various other street corners.

While the mood on the streets was festive, there were a few isolated acts of vandalism in the early hours of Monday, according to Ajennah Amir, spokeswoman for the mayor's office............