McConnell blocking lunches for schoolchildren

News and events of the day
gounion

McConnell blocking lunches for schoolchildren

Post by gounion »

THIS is why I'm a liberal:
Federal waivers that have given U.S. schools the flexibility to offer universal free lunches throughout the pandemic are at risk of ending as Senate Republicans—led by Mitch McConnell—stonewall a proposed extension of the relief measures, potentially depriving millions of children of no-cost meals in the coming months.

Politico reported Monday that McConnell, the Senate minority leader, is "forcefully opposing" a provision to extend the federal school lunch waivers as part of an omnibus government funding package that Congress must pass by midnight Friday to avert a shutdown.

The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) has estimated that the average school district will face a 40% cut in federal reimbursements for meals if Congress allows the waivers—first approved in March 2020 and extended thereafter—to lapse. The USDA's authority to extend the school meal waivers further is currently set to expire at the end of June.

"Mitch McConnell never needed free lunch to get a hot meal at school. He never needed food stamps to survive," Charles Booker, a Democratic U.S. Senate candidate in Kentucky, wrote in response to the GOP leader's obstruction. "Nearly half of Kentucky's children live in households below 200% of the federal poverty line. I was one of them. He doesn't see us."

But then, I was raised a liberal. I was raised in a family where you never turned away a hungry child.

What kind of person does that?
Libertas

Re: McConnell blocking lunches for schoolchildren

Post by Libertas »

gounion wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 6:51 am THIS is why I'm a liberal:

But then, I was raised a liberal. I was raised in a family where you never turned away a hungry child.

What kind of person does that?
Preventing a poor child from getting food, ESPECIALLY if that child is not white, gives cons great joy. :cry:
I sigh in your general direction.
bengal59

Post by bengal59 »

The standard Trumpublican belief. A woman should be REQUIRED to carry a child to term, even if due to rape or incest. But once the child is born, F them! If the woman didn't want a child she shouldn't have got herself pregnant. Of course we have the money for these multi billion dollar tax cuts and corporate welfare handouts. But when it comes to helping children, there is no money for that even though in times of need, the red states that are most dead set against it are the first ones with their hands out!
marindem01

Post by marindem01 »

A person who would deny a child food is the most despicable form of life there is.......namely Republican.
Love of Country is not Blind Patriotism. It is not devotion to one person or one party. It is knowing fighting for your country is single most important thing you can do. Do not accept the notion violence is the answer.
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

#prolife
#profamily
#traditionalfamilyvalues
#therestransgirlsonthevollyballteamtho

The way to right wrongs is to
Shine the light of truth on them.

~ Ida B. Wells