Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: HOME RUN DERBY THREAD
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:10 pm 
Board Emeritus

I know there are some baseball fans on here. Anybody planning on watching tonight? Anybody have any predictions?

I believe it was Ely who commented that I am the biggest "homer" he ever met. It's true, I'm not impartial, and always root for the home team. Therefore I'm predicting a PRINCE FIELDER REPEAT.

Any other predictions? Anybody watching the derby who doesn't usually watch baseball? What's people's take on the season so-far now that we are at the AllStar break? Any post-season predictions?

I really like the "gold balls" they are using this year...I might actually order one online for my Brewer case if Fielder or Weeks wins.

P.S. I DID get permission from the mods to post this here.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:15 pm 
Policy Wonk

Is David Ortiz in it. If so, he will win it.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:27 pm 
Board Emeritus

Is David Ortiz in it. If so, he will win it.

He is. His behavior last week, charging the mound, was reprehensible. He should be serving a long suspension.

Ortiz was in last year, and Fielder still won. Fielder says Weeks actually hits as many home-runs in batting practice as he and Braun (why Fielder chose him), so he might be a sleeper in the Derby. Fielder also has the longest HR for the season in the NL (maybe the AL as well) last I checked.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:43 pm 
Policy Wonk

I'll have to support my team's representative, Bautista.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:59 pm 
Board Emeritus

I'll have to support my team's representative, Bautista.

I think he has a good shot.

What's hilarious is the announcers were just talking about Weeks as the batting cage favorite and they even called him a "sleeper." I swear they are reading my posts. :lol:

The announcers picked Ortiz, Fielder, and Weeks between the 3 of them.

How many players have ever won the Derby in back to back seasons?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:26 pm 
Board Emeritus

Is it just me or do the balls look white?

I thought they were supposed to be gold this year...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:29 pm 
Policy Wonk

He is. His behavior last week, charging the mound, was reprehensible. He should be serving a long suspension.

Bullcrap. If you took the time to look at the video of what happened, the incident was initiated by the other team's pitcher, who had some things to say to Ortiz as he was going down the baseline. If the pitcher says nothing, nothing would have happened.

And, also, if you study the video, you will see that the home plate umpire immediately gave the pitcher the thumb, throwing him out of the game before Ortiz got wrapped up with him. If you knew more of David Ortzs you would know that he is a quiet man that rarely gets involved in these sort of things.

Obviously the home plate umpire knew who the real instigator was.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:31 pm 
Policy Wonk

They're only half gold, one of the panels.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:33 pm 
Board Emeritus

Bullcrap. If you took the time to look at the video of what happened, the incident was initiated by the other team's pitcher, who had some things to say to Ortiz as he was going down the baseline. If the pitcher says nothing, nothing would have happened.

And, also, if you study the video, you will see that the home plate umpire immediately gave the pitcher the thumb, throwing him out of the game before Ortiz got wrapped up with him. If you knew more of David Ortzs you would know that he is a quiet man that rarely gets involved in these sort of things.

Obviously the home plate umpire knew who the real instigator was.

Wow. So the law and order poster thinks that charging the mound is fine as long as the pitcher said something?

So the pitcher what? Had it coming?

That's the bullcrap for you.

The umpire's job is to eject people who get out of line. Ortiz's job is to go to first base.

Regarding the Gold Balls, they only come out on the last out apparently, and they cost way more than I can afford.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:36 pm 
Board Emeritus

They're only half gold, one of the panels.

Apparently they only pitch gold balls on the 10th out. They have enough gold in them that they are worth $150. I didn't know they were actually gold.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:36 pm 
Policy Wonk

Wow. So the law and order poster thinks that charging the mound is fine as long as the pitcher said something?

I dont recall that I said that. Show me where.

So the pitcher what? Had it coming?

Did I say that?[/b]

That's the bullcrap for you.

The umpire's job is to eject people who get out of line. Ortiz's job is to go to first base.

[b]Yes, exactly. And the umpire did his job by ejecting the instigator, the pitcher. Ortiz should have kept his cool as the umpire had already ejected the guy who started it all, but we, as fans and not there on the field, have no idea what was said to agitate Ortiz. Of all the players in baseball, Ortiz is probably one of the more mild mannered.

Regarding the Gold Balls, they only come out on the last out apparently, and they cost way more than I can afford.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:40 pm 
Board Emeritus

You DID say that. You used the fact that the pitcher talked trash as an EXCUSE.

You don't get to earn a mound charge with prior good behavior. Charging a pitcher can cause LONG TERM DEBILITATING and maybe even CAREER ENDING injury. It also sets a bad example for ALL OTHER LOWER LEVEL PLAYERS. Prior good behavior isn't going to stop injuries at the major league level or from the lower levels when kids try it. It is completely unrelated to what he did.

I don't care what was said. The MLB needs to make an example stating that this behavior is NOT acceptable. That before you risk the career of somebody else you should know you are risking your season as well.

Also you don't get to beat your wife no matter what she says. You don't get to hit an idiot in a bar with a pool cue no matter what he calls your momma. VIOLENCE IS COMPLETELY UNACCEPTABLE AND THAT NEEDS TO BE THE MESSAGE.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:47 pm 
Policy Wonk

You DID say that. You used the fact that the pitcher talked trash as an EXCUSE.

Did I call it an excuse? Just pointing out the chronological order of the event.

You don't get to earn a mound charge with prior good behavior. Charging a pitcher can cause LONG TERM DEBILITATING and maybe even CAREER ENDING injury. It also sets a bad example for ALL OTHER LOWER LEVEL PLAYERS. Prior good behavior isn't going to stop injuries at the major league level or from the lower levels when kids try it. It is completely unrelated to what he did.

Agreed, but don't you think that your personal prejudices are making you take this far beyond the context it should be. You are making a mountain out of a molehill.

I don't care what was said. The MLB needs to make an example stating that this behavior is NOT acceptable. That before you risk the career of somebody else you should know you are risking your season as well.

Also you don't get to beat your wife no matter what she says. You don't get to hit an idiot in a bar with a pool cue no matter what he calls your momma. VIOLENCE IS COMPLETELY UNACCEPTABLE AND THAT NEEDS TO BE THE MESSAGE.

Would you excuse me for a while. I have to go back to the pool room and get my cue. I left it sticking out of some wise guy's ear.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:53 pm 
Board Emeritus

Would you excuse me for a while. I have to go back to the pool room and get my cue. I left it sticking out of some wise guy's ear.

I got the chronological order. I know Ortiz is generally a good guy. And none of it made a difference

I actually don't think that I have any bias against Ortiz. I root FOR the Brewers. I don't like the Yankees. Beyond that, I don't have any real baseball biases. In baseball, you know as well as I do, players move around all the time. I don't know why you think I would have a problem with Ortiz.

The TRUTH is that, when I first saw the clip, I was SHOCKED by what I saw. I was astounded by the fact that he actually charged the pitcher AND got there. I thought SURELY something would happen to him. It was a sad moment for major league baseball, for any team, and it was made worse by the way the fans and the league shrugged it off.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:54 pm 
Board Emeritus

BTW: Did you just see Fielder go 5:5 on the swing off???

AMAZING!!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:12 pm 
Board Emeritus

ROBINSON CANO!!!!!!!

Never seen anything like that!

12 hits in 10 outs. Not sure if that beats Prince's 5 home-runs with 5 swings but that was just crazy!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:11 pm 
Board Emeritus

Congratulations Robinson Cano - 2011 Home Run Derby Champion

And the Yankees are still a blight on baseball.

He broke the record to win, and he still had 4 outs.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:15 pm 
Policy Wonk

Queteimporta refrains from comment.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:44 pm 
Policy Wonk

Queteimporta refrains from comment.

Yeah, gold balls along with a character named Goldfinger, would make anyone refrain.