RadioFreeLiberal.com

Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:03 pm 
Board Emeritus

U.S. Women go on to the finals for the World Cup!

Woo Hoo!

Never let it be said the government can't do something positive!

GoU

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:45 pm 
Policy Wonk

Who cares? Only little girls who are dragged to these games , or forced to watch them on TV, listening to mommy say, "see sweety, you can be a big star too."

While I give credit to women athletes, their talent is very good, it is only very good when comparing it to male athletes at the same level, college or professional.

I watch female sports, occasionally, on TV and as a deep, hardened long time sports activest, as a player, fan and beyonde, while, as I say, they are very talented, but close observation at their on field/court/rink playing, I have seen, and determined, that there is a huge degree of awkwardness compared to how the various sports are played by their mail counterparts.

And, this is not meant in a derogatory manner, let's be honest here, the makeup af a man's body and muscle structure is far different than that of a female.

And that is part of the reason that females are given an advantage over their male counterparts in many sports. Golf: Closer tees.
Basketball: Smaller basketball. Tennis: 2 out of 3 matches instead of 3 out of 5.

Add that to the fact that Americans, in general, will never accept soccer as a major sport. What Americans like in their sports teams, and leagues, is scoring and a lot of action.

I perused the standings of our professional soccer league (MLS) and of all the teams in the league, only one had better than a one goal per game average. Americans, in general, will not sit and stay for that kind of boredom.

How many 0-0 or 1-1 games can anyone take.

In fact, many of those 1-0 and 1-1 games are decided by a penalty kick. That means that 89 of the 90 minutes played were sleepy time.

And please, dont bore me with how great and techincal the players are and that they have great dexterity. That is true, but Americans, including yours truly, want more goals ane less passy pasy back and forth crap.

I watch soccer now and then, and enjoy it for a short time but always turn it off for something else. I will, also, tune in to women's sports but after a brief period shut them off too....

In my opinion, and I will take heat for this, women need to get themselves out of most sports and into something that will show them off as females, not overgrown and hairy freaks of nature.

I think that female softball players are OK, female tennis players are OK but there is very little after those two to make it worth anyone's time, except the little girls of course, to watch.

OK, fire away.... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:37 pm 
Board Emeritus

NEM, that's just sexist, and insulting to women. Maybe these are viewpoints you should keep to yourself.

GoU

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:40 pm 
Board Emeritus

NEM, that's just sexist, and insulting to women. Maybe these are viewpoints you should keep to yourself.

GoU

I was gonna say the same thing, come on man, we are better than this...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:46 pm 
Political Junkie

Wow Nem. You should patch up your knuckles. All that dragging of them can do damage to your skin.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:52 pm 
Policy Wonk

GoU

Wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Women's sports are a waste of time, and a drag on college dollars. Not enough people attend their sports to justify the expense.

And, sorry, I tell it as it is, and if it offends others, so be it.... but what I said is very, very factual. People need to study their games much more closely, as I do, to see the defects in them.

Sorry, sometimeshonestyhurts.

And, BTW, I am not alone....just more willing to say what others wont.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:58 pm 
Political Junkie

NO they are not. Many women enjoy sports and are denied because of prejudice like yours. Because it doesn't make money it's useless? That money can be better spent on men athletes?

I know...you're about to say go play with your dolls and leave athletics to men where it belongs.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:17 pm 
Board Emeritus

Wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Women's sports are a waste of time, and a drag on college dollars. Not enough people attend their sports to justify the expense.

And, sorry, I tell it as it is, and if it offends others, so be it.... but what I said is very, very factual. People need to study their games much more closely, as I do, to see the defects in them.

Sorry, sometimeshonestyhurts.

And, BTW, I am not alone....just more willing to say what others wont.

NEM, you are not telling it like it is. You are telling it as you see it. Sexism is as against the rules on this board as racism is. There is no good reason for you to insult women on this board.

You sound like glen beck - you "just say what everyone's thinking". No, NEM, very few agree with you. You are in the minority.

GoU

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:18 pm 
Board Emeritus

I do not agree, few would I think...

I was a high school basketball referee and often did girls games, some of those girls could kick my ass in basketball and I am or was an athlete.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:12 pm 
Board Emeritus

I'm following the US women's soccer team and I see nothing "awkward" about them. Women are adapted very well to the lower body strength requirements of soccer.
What a lot of misogynists really dislike when all's said and done is that Title IX has given female athletes the opportunity to attend college on sports scholarships, which might mean less money for aspiring males. Well, that's just too bad. And anybody who still thinks that a premium women's sports team doesn't draw attendance has never watched the televised games of the bigs - UConn, Notre Dame, Texas A&M, North Carolina, etc. Same sports venues as the men and the same rabid fans.
BTW: Let's put NEM's ascertions to the test on this board....
I disagree with his opinion!!!
Sallie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:58 pm 
Policy Wonk

I do not agree, few would I think...

I was a high school basketball referee and often did girls games, some of those girls could kick my ass in basketball and I am or was an athlete.

If you read my post more closely, you will see where I agree with that, however, what I make refernce to is that when watching their games very closely, you can see the awkardness in their moves and overall play. Would they kick my ass on a basketball court? Sure they would, but I am not a HS, college or pro basketball player that these girls are alluding to be.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:01 pm 
Policy Wonk

I'm following the US women's soccer team and I see nothing "awkward" about them. Women are adapted very well to the lower body strength requirements of soccer.
What a lot of misogynists really dislike when all's said and done is that Title IX has given female athletes the opportunity to attend college on sports scholarships, which might mean less money for aspiring males. Well, that's just too bad. And anybody who still thinks that a premium women's sports team doesn't draw attendance has never watched the televised games of the bigs - UConn, Notre Dame, Texas A&M, North Carolina, etc. Same sports venues as the men and the same rabid fans.
BTW: Let's put NEM's ascertions to the test on this board....
I disagree with his opinion!!!
Sallie

I've watched them, and when it gets to the "Bigs" as you say, far too many of the seats are filled by the wealthy who use going to a final four, or a WNBA title game or even a soccer game...using the tickets as a status symbol

Not the same sports venues as the men. Just one example WNBA games draw about 60^ of what NBA games draw in Phoenix. And, I am sure it is comparable with every other WNBA game, where tickets are dirt cheap with thousands given away for each game. Thats just one venue. More to com. You asked.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:12 am 
Political Junkie

So they don't fill the seats so no equal money to women sports. Have you been to a Mercury game? Or a ASU soccer game? Softball?

Probably not....they don't sell like men so they must be inferior.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:23 am 
Policy Wonk

So they don't fill the seats so no equal money to women sports. Have you been to a Mercury game? Or a ASU soccer game? Softball?

Probably not....they don't sell like men so they must be inferior.

In some ways, yes. In other ways, no.

Does the truth bother you? I have never said that they arent talented, for what they are, female athletes, but please, do not even attempt to go there, making comparisons to male athletes in most sports. They play by dfferent rules with different dimensions to their fields of play and one would like to see that if they played their sports with the same rules, and dimensiions, how they would fare.

I will say this again, and I have watched them on many occasions, in many different sports, and for the record, I would never pay to go see a female sporting event. ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

You can call me whatever you want, just begin with the word "honest."

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:30 am 
Policy Wonk

So they don't fill the seats so no equal money to women sports.

That may not be entirely accurate. I believe that I once read, and remember, that in the NCAA they petitioned for the same amount of funding from the university in similar sports.

So, if that is accurate, they get the same funding as the men and what happened, again if I remember correctly, because of that, many universities had to cut way back on secondary athletic programs, cutting out many men that participated, because women's sports became a drain on the budget and never took in enough to balance the books because of weak crowd support.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:15 pm 
Policy Wonk

I am much more likely to spend my time and money going to a women's sporting event (college or high school) in Eugene than a men's sporting event.
At the men's events I have to put up with drunken and sloppy fans who are there mostly as an excuse to get drunk. (that's why they don't bring their wives)
At the women's events the crowd is mostly made up of FAMILIES, there to cheer on their home team.

I've NEVER been to a women's sports game that required a police presence.

Mac

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:18 pm 
Board Emeritus

I am much more likely to spend my time and money going to a women's sporting event (college or high school) in Eugene than a men's sporting event.
At the men's events I have to put up with drunken and sloppy fans who are there mostly as an excuse to get drunk. (that's why they don't bring their wives)
At the women's events the crowd is mostly made up of FAMILIES, there to cheer on their home team.

I've NEVER been to a women's sports game that required a police presence.

Mac

Don't you think that men who have daughters - especially athletic daughters - have totally different thoughts on this? It would never have occurred to my daughter's father and me to steer her away from sports, while her four brothers were student athletes. My four sons have the same attitude regarding their daughters. My eldest granddaughter was the first and only female pole vaulter for her school, in addition to various other track and field events.
Fathers of high school and college athletes aren't bored by their daughters' performances and neither are their brothers.
It may be that NEM has never had this wonderful experience....
Sallie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:19 am 
Policy Wonk

Mac

Aha, you are one a DOM. (Dirty Old Man) :lol: :oops:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:34 am 
Policy Wonk

Don't you think that men who have daughters - especially athletic daughters - have totally different thoughts on this? It would never have occurred to my daughter's father and me to steer her away from sports, while her four brothers were student athletes. My four sons have the same attitude regarding their daughters. My eldest granddaughter was the first and only female pole vaulter for her school, in addition to various other track and field events.
Fathers of high school and college athletes aren't bored by their daughters' performances and neither are their brothers.
It may be that NEM has never had this wonderful experience....
Sallie

Actually, my daughter was the first female play in our town's little league, which always has been a very competitive one and has a fantastic field setup with six great ones at the same location. With dugouts, wooden fences in the outfield, electric scoreboards and great care of the field conditions. Refreshment stand, parking areas, maintenance building and is equipped with sound systems, etc.

My daughter scored the first run by a female in the history of the league.

I may as well mention my oldest son was the first 11 year old to be elected to the major league all star team. Until that year, the league had all 12 year olds on the team. Of course he made it as a 12 year old too.

In the opening game of his 12 yr old season, he pitched to 18 batters and struck out 17. A perfect game. In those years, pitchers were not babied like they are today and they could pitch the full six inning game, but of course there was a weekly maximum and also minimum number of days rest between outings. Today's kids are coddled too much.

Now, let me get back on topic. At least I am honest. I can not stand women's sporting events with the exception of Tennis. I played tennis and it was one of my favorite sports to play. I got pretty damned good at it too, taking part in some tennis leagues and tournaments. Unfortunately, I have not played since my heart attack. I am too scared.

Maybe it's because I am so much into sports. Sports have been a major part of my life since I was a little kid organizing a Police Athletic League team back in NYC when I was about 13 or so.

I have played hockey, baseball, softball, tennis, some pretty rough flag football games, golf, bowling, volleyball and I have always taken my performances very seriously. I have always said, if a person is going to partake of competitive sports, then give it your all and that winning is all that matters, fairly and within the rules, of course.

And that may be why I really detest women's sports. I look at these games they play in a very technical manner, and to me, they are flawed.

Dont get me wrong, the women are talented but the way they move, the way they shoot a basketball or throw a softball, man it just is not the way it was intended. I look closely and I see awkwardness Do I want to go up against them? Hell no.

Of course, I have no problem with the women's Lingerie Football game on Super Bowl weekend. :twisted:

Dont take offense, I just cant handle womens sports, period, except tennis, and its not the short little skirts... I think watching womens tennis is more fun because the matches, IMO, are much more balanced and more competitive with longer volleys. In the mens game, if you have a powerful serve, over 100 MPH, there are fewer volleys and less strategy. Just blow your 105 MPH serve past your opponent.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:57 pm 
Policy Wonk

NEM,
You are not the first to suggest that I am a DOM.
I probably am.
I watch women's gymnastics (and men's gymnastics too).
It's almost like watching dancers.

Although there's not much draw for DOMs at a high school girl's soccer match or soft ball game and I watch those too.

Mac