Spider Man NWH

TV, Movies, Music and the Rest!
ProfX

Spider Man NWH

Post by ProfX »

Official trailer is out.

https://www.spidermannowayhome.movie

So, a couple obvious things. Strange borking the spell (did it work? he seems to indicate it didn't) seems to have broken the multiverse, and so all the villains are coming into this Peter's world from other universes.

The count looks like five: Doc Ock, Green Goblin, Sandman, Electro, Lizard. If there's a sinister sixth, they haven't been shown yet. First three are from the Raimiverse, the last two are from the Garfieldverse. Goblin appears to have the same suit whose plastic mask everybody mocked, but Electro has a new more comics-accurate suit.

Looks like Strange wants to send them home to their original universes, but since they were brought from the moment of their deaths ... Peter doesn't agree ... this seems to lead to conflict. (BTW, this is actually only true for three of them. In fact, it's not even clear why Sandman is back and angry, since he and Tobey Maguire seem to have parted on good terms.)

Now here's the deal. The trailer does not show Maguire or Garfield. However, two things my youtoob bud "Cosmic Wonder" has touched on. This is IDENTICAL to a plot leak that appeared earlier this year, but that leak was also insistent they were in the film.

Finally, watch that last scene closely. It sure looks digitally altered. Lizard is either being punched by the invisible man, or it's something (aka Andrew Garfield) punching him. I agree with "CW" ... I think they're in the film, but Sony will hold that card to its vest, I bet, until a couple days before release, or maybe not even until release.
"Don't believe every quote attributed to people on the Internet" -- Abraham Lincoln :D
gounion

Re: Spider Man NWH

Post by gounion »

ProfX wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:13 pm Official trailer is out.

https://www.spidermannowayhome.movie

So, a couple obvious things. Strange borking the spell (did it work? he seems to indicate it didn't) seems to have broken the multiverse, and so all the villains are coming into this Peter's world from other universes.

The count looks like five: Doc Ock, Green Goblin, Sandman, Electro, Lizard. If there's a sinister sixth, they haven't been shown yet. First three are from the Raimiverse, the last two are from the Garfieldverse. Goblin appears to have the same suit whose plastic mask everybody mocked, but Electro has a new more comics-accurate suit.

Looks like Strange wants to send them home to their original universes, but since they were brought from the moment of their deaths ... Peter doesn't agree ... this seems to lead to conflict. (BTW, this is actually only true for three of them. In fact, it's not even clear why Sandman is back and angry, since he and Tobey Maguire seem to have parted on good terms.)

Now here's the deal. The trailer does not show Maguire or Garfield. However, two things my youtoob bud "Cosmic Wonder" has touched on. This is IDENTICAL to a plot leak that appeared earlier this year, but that leak was also insistent they were in the film.

Finally, watch that last scene closely. It sure looks digitally altered. Lizard is either being punched by the invisible man, or it's something (aka Andrew Garfield) punching him. I agree with "CW" ... I think they're in the film, but Sony will hold that card to its vest, I bet, until a couple days before release, or maybe not even until release.
I think you're spot on. It looks GREAT. But one thing - I hope hope hope they don't kill off Zendaya! I would be crushed if they do.
ProfX

Post by ProfX »

Well, Peter had to rescue Dunst-MJ in the 1st Raimi film as she was falling. BTW, it's a re-enactment of how Gwen Stacy was killed by Goblin in the comics, but anyway ... she lives. Gwen doesn't appear until the 3rd Raimi film. He catches MJ again as she's falling in the 3rd film. There is also some debate as to whether Kirsten Dunst will be in the movie.

That's also the end of the 2nd Garfield film. Once again, he catches Gwen as she's falling, but doesn't save her. Seconds too late.

I guess they have to have that scene, one fan theory out there is as a kind of redemption for failing to do so in his own universe, Garfield will catch Zendaya-MJ. I guess we'll have to find out. :D

Since Zendaya-MJ and Ned still know who he is, it seems the spell borked totally, and so does everyone else. "Hey, the next time you're going to mess with the universe, talk to us first," Well, except another universe's Doc Ock, I guess. You can see a brief shot of JK Simmons as J Jonah, except now the Daily Bugle is a video/blogging site. He's not from another universe, it's just I guess cosmic coincidence J Jonah looks the same in two universes.

"You mean the multiverse is real?" Obviously, Mysterio was lying, but it IS.

At the end of Venom vs. Carnage, the symbiote tells Brock it knows about the multiverse. I don't think Venom will be in this but Sony is clearly setting up future crossover potential.
"Don't believe every quote attributed to people on the Internet" -- Abraham Lincoln :D
ProfX

Post by ProfX »

I don't think spoiler tags are working on this board. So **MAJOR SPOILER WARNING AHEAD**.

Let me start with the non-spoiler stuff. People have finally gotten their first viewings/screenings of NWH. Reviews and rants about it are out of the park. My boy "The Cosmic Wonder" on Youtoob saw it and said "it's not just the best Spider Man movie ever, it's the best superhero movie ever." I mean, the dude was practically gushing as he came out of the theatre.

So, all the reviews of it are pretty out of the park. But now we got to get to the spoiler stuff. I have a feeling many reviewers are under embargo from answering this question. But I suspect people could and would somehow slip out of Marvel/Sony's fingers.

They did. PLEASE DO NOT READ FURTHER IF YOU DO NOT WANT A KEY QUESTION ABOUT THE FILM ANSWERED.

Somebody's spilled the beans...

This is your last warning ...

Seriously last warning...

Andrew Garfield, Tobey Maguire In Spider-Man: No Way Home? We Have Answers
https://geekositymag.com/andrew-garfiel ... e-answers/

The Daily Beast revealed Tobey Maguire and Andrew Garfield are in it. According to the site:
"Maguire and Garfield prove a weathered, brotherly pair, their doppelgängers excited and eager to partner with their multiversal self, if somewhat beaten down by years of assuming the great responsibility that comes with great power."

[snip][end]

BTW, my boy CW says there may be more surprises in store in the film. He did not specify. It's fine. Some spoilers I can wait on till seeing it. :D But come on ... this one we all just hadda know. He's gonna give a longer, spoiler-free review tomorrow.

I believe Matt Murdock/Daredevil being in the film (played by Charlie Cox from the Netflix show) is also confirmed. It's just a brief cameo, he doesn't suit up, but it looks like he's coming to the MCU as DD.
gounion

Post by gounion »

I did NOT read past the spoiler warnings. Thanks for that, Prof.

I plan to see it Monday or Tuesday during the day, when the theaters are mostly empty. Looking forward to it.
ProfX

Post by ProfX »

So let me issue a minor spoiler warning.

There's one other thing I have to discuss. I don't even know exactly what's in what I'm about to discuss. :D I only know what some folks who have now seen the film are saying.

*ok last chance semi spoiler warning*

... the 2nd post credit scene is essentially a trailer/buildup for Dr. Strange Multiverse of Madness.

... people are apparently going apeshit over the dialogue because it flips what everyone thinks they knew what the film would be about.

... OK according to you-toober Den of Nerds ... *last chance spoiler warning* :mrgreen:

The scene is Strange talking to Wanda. He is asking for her help with the "multiverse problem". She asks if this is "about Westview" and he says no. Apparently Mordo is there with Wanda (?), and then Mordo says to Strange: sorry, Stephen, BUT "the biggest threat to the multiverse is YOU." Then "Supreme Strange" from WhatIf appears (but not animated) ...

... BTW "Den of Nerds" think this is a massive misdirect in typical Marvel style ... there's also news that there are lots of massive reshoots going on for "MoM" right now.

ALSO: it appears the first mid-credits scene shows Tom Hardy's "Venom" blipping into the MCU universe, then blipping back into his original one (I think he's gotta meet up with Morbius in that one), but some of his Venom/symbiote goo being left behind.... and we know the symbiote already knows about the multiverse ... where's it headed next? The version of Eddie Brock in the MCU? (Hopefully not played by Topher Grace?) Peter? Flash Thompson? Gonna find out, I suppose.
ProfX

Post by ProfX »

Saw it. Let's start with my reactions.

Be prepared. It will tug at your emotions. All of the Spider-Mens of the Verses always have. The newest Peter is no different. They deal with different emotional struggles, it just seems to be the way the character's arc is always told, even if the struggles don't repeat exactly.

It is an amazing film. My favorite Spider-Man movie? Mebbe. Definitely up there. "Best superhero film of all time" ... eh ... well, it is very good. So should you see it? Of course, people. If you've seen the trailers, you know the opening premise for the film, and what breaks the multiverse, allowing everything else in the film to happen.

**OK let's start with minor spoilers. I put these at spoiler level 1** Spoiler level 1 Warning People! :D

If you read up above, I can confirm what I posted. Yes, Tobey and Andrew are in the film. I dunno, I thought their interactions were good, but, it's just sorta odd. I mean, they discuss why one of them can biologically generate webs, but the two others can't. The other Peters talk with Tom Holland about the similarities and differences in their backstories but ... well, I dunno, I found it sorta shallow. Andrew of course dwells on losing Gwen, Tobey-Peter on losing Uncle Ben. It's of course a gag I expected, they refer to each other as "Peter 1, 2, and 3" so as not to be confused. Insert obligatory joke where Ned yells out "Peter" and all three turn around. Kinda predictable.

No, Kirsten Dunst is not in the film, neither is Emma Stone. Yes, it is the Sinister Five ... Doc Ock, Green Goblin, Sandman, Electro, Lizard; you saw them all in the trailers. I'm gonna talk more about them in a sec. Yes, it most definitely has a Charlie Cox-Matt Murdock/DD cameo, complete with him showing off his abilities. He's ever so briefly in the film as Peter's lawyer. No, no Miles Morales, although Electro does ask AG at one point, "I sure thought Spider Man would be black". Yes, those two post credit scenes are as people described. It seems some Venom goo is now in Tom Holland's universe, and they definitely set up the tension for Strange: MoM. Complete with Strange confronting "himself" as Strange Supreme.

Basically, it comes down to this. Peter "scooby doos" all the bad guys. They're all imprisoned in the sanctum. Strange is gonna use magic cube to send them all home. Peter realizes this means at least two - or three, I guess Electro also "died" (or shorted out) - will die if they go back to their universe. He can't go along with this. Leads to a tussle, Peter overcomes Strange, refuses to send them back, decides he's going to focus on curing them instead. The only one this succeeds on is Doc Ock, he fixes the "chip problem" so his arms stop controlling him. For reasons that are unclear, Flint/Sandman should have no grudge or be working with the others, but does anyway. Anyway, by mistake, Ned, using a Strange sling ring, is looking for Tom Holland, but instead runs into Tobey and Andrew instead, who apparently have also been pulled into this universe.

The three Peters all work together to come up with cures. They will de-lizard the lizard (well that we know is possible), un-sand the sandman (how come Tobey Maguire, if he knew how to do this, didn't do it before), de-electrify Electro (seems to involve powering down an arc reactor he's stolen), and de-goblin Norman Osborne/Green Goblin (again have the same question here - if said cure was so easy to make, how come Tobey never used it on Norman - OR Harry. But anyway.) If cured, maybe when they go back to their own universes they won't die.

** NOW WE ENTER LEVEL 2 MAJOR SPOILER TERRITORY ** **YOU ARE WARNED**

Aunt May dies. Hasta, Marisa Tomei. BTW, one thing I really like, that this film hammers home, is that May is ALWAYS the moral core or center of all the Peters, whatever her age, and she is in this film too. The Goblin kills her. "Attack his heart" round 2.

In the fight, Doc Ock sides with the three Peters. Eventually, they succeed in curing all of them - Sandman, Lizard, Electro. Everybody except for Goblin. The final fight takes place at the Statue of Liberty where she is holding - what else? - a giant version of Cap's Shield. AG has his redemption moment when he saves MJ from falling. The giant Shield comes crashing down to the ground.

Then comes the moment you might expect. Goblin and Holland fight - where else - on top of Cap's gigantic overturned shield. (If you've seen a key moment in Winter Soldier, you know the poignancy of this moment.) Norman asks Peter if he's going to send him back to die. He tells the Goblin, "no, I'm going to kill you right here." BTW, the other two Peters stop him from giving the fatal blow. They more than anyone else know what's at stake for the soul of their multi-versal counterpart. And instead Osborne too gets his cure. Just one problem. The magic box that could send them all home was blown up by a goblin bomb, and the cracks in the multiverse are getting worse. Strange is of course back, and you might know the moment that comes next.

... there is no other solution to the problem than to finish the Strange spell. If you've seen the trailers, you know what the spell was supposed to be, before it borked. EVERYONE must forget Peter is Spider-Man. He MUST go through with the final stage of the spell. And you know what this agony is going to mean for him. But he agrees. It happens. The cured villains go back to their universes, but maybe now not to die. Maybe Sandman can reunite with his daughter. So do the other Peters.

... ah what bittersweet ending. No, not only does MJ not know Peter is Spider-Man, she doesn't know Peter. They have never met (until Peter comes into the Dunkin Donuts where she works). Likewise Ned and Peter. Both have truly forgotten him. I mean, not only do they not know his identity, they have never met him and are not his friends. He goes to visit Aunt May's grave. Happy Hogan is there, but doesn't know who he is.

Peter is truly alone in this world. Maybe about to start college. He can rebuild his relationships with MJ and Ned, but has to start over again.

We now know Strange's spell finally worked, as "J Jonah" who looks the same in any universe, yells out in his vlog that Spider-Man is still a masked menace, but how dare he not reveal his real identity. Now this will be interesting in other ways. Strange says he himself will be affected by the spell, so will be anybody who met him in previous Avengers etc. films. How this will play out ... it truly seems now not only does nobody know his identity, but this also appears to mean all the remaining Avengers have forgotten about him altogether.

Sony/Marvel have said this is the end of the first "Home" trilogy, but they are about to do another trilogy with Holland. Is the door open to the other Peters? Seems of course. Tobey was wounded, but still quite alive. Seems like the multiverse is here to stay. And we know those villain cures rarely last....
gounion

Post by gounion »

Okay I saw it too. SPOILERS!

Loved it. I'd have committed hari-kari if they'd have killed off MJ.

But I think that MJ will be back - she's too good, and too popular to let go. May be awhile before they're back together, though.

So here's the big thing - Spiderman is now OUT of the MCU. No one in the MCU has HEARD of Spiderman! He's no longer the next Tony Stark. He's no longer full of StarkTech. He's on his own.

So now Sony can have their own Spiderverse. Maybe a third movie for Garfield? And for SURE a Miles Morales movie! Of course, they also have all the ancillary Spiderverse characters to bring in to Spiderland, like Venom and Morphius, which is coming soon.

And plenty of Tom Holland!

They can pile on the all of this together. Pretty cool.

The death of Aunt May was incredibly well done. Now the Holland Peter gets his "With great power comes great responsibility" moment.

So now for the last episode of Hawkeye tomorrow!
ProfX

Post by ProfX »

gounion wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 5:54 pm But I think that MJ will be back - she's too good, and too popular to let go. May be awhile before they're back together, though.
* Spoiler warning redux? *

IMHO: it's all been set up. Remember that black dahlia necklace Peter gave her in the last movie? She still has it. She is wearing it when Peter sees her in the Dunkin Donuts. Strange's spell wiped the world's memories but did not totally alter reality. Right? May is still dead, etc.

Who gave her that necklace? Why can't she remember? Will this help Peter bring back her memories? There has GOT TO BE a reason why she's still wearing it when Peter sees her at the end. :D

BTW: did Peter still get into MIT along with Ned and MJ in this new memory-zone/time-line? I don't think he's gonna give up on either.
So here's the big thing - Spiderman is now OUT of the MCU. No one in the MCU has HEARD of Spiderman! He's no longer the next Tony Stark. He's no longer full of StarkTech. He's on his own.
Well, on the one hand, since Happy and Pepper have no idea who he is, it's not like he can keep borrowing stuff from Stark Industries. Yeah.

Is he out of the MCU? I think no way, Marvel and Sony are going to continue sharing the character in future films. We have not seen the last of him encountering other MCU characters. Daredevil? Hello, KINGPIN has arrived. But yeah, now they are not going to remember who he was, so he has to re-establish relationships with them.

But yeah, I think Sony definitely wants him to overlap with their new version of Venom and Morbius, and whatever they keep putting in the Sonyverse, too. They've also kinda definitely hinted we haven't seen the last of Tobey or Andrew, either.
And for SURE a Miles Morales movie!
All I can say is everything sure as f is in place for a live-action intro of the character. And his Spider-Verse.

BTW, IIRC, his in-universe "uncle" has a real quick cameo in Far from Home.
gounion

Post by gounion »

ProfX wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 6:39 pm * Spoiler warning redux? *

IMHO: it's all been set up. Remember that black dahlia necklace Peter gave her in the last movie? She still has it. She is wearing it when Peter sees her in the Dunkin Donuts. Strange's spell wiped the world's memories but did not totally alter reality. Right? May is still dead, etc.

Who gave her that necklace? Why can't she remember? Will this help Peter bring back her memories? There has GOT TO BE a reason why she's still wearing it when Peter sees her at the end. :D

BTW: did Peter still get into MIT along with Ned and MJ in this new memory-zone/time-line? I don't think he's gonna give up on either.

Well, on the one hand, since Happy and Pepper have no idea who he is, it's not like he can keep borrowing stuff from Stark Industries. Yeah.

Is he out of the MCU? I think no way, Marvel and Sony are going to continue sharing the character in future films. We have not seen the last of him encountering other MCU characters. Daredevil? Hello, KINGPIN has arrived. But yeah, now they are not going to remember who he was, so he has to re-establish relationships with them.

But yeah, I think Sony definitely wants him to overlap with their new version of Venom and Morbius, and whatever they keep putting in the Sonyverse, too. They've also kinda definitely hinted we haven't seen the last of Tobey or Andrew, either.

All I can say is everything sure as f is in place for a live-action intro of the character. And his Spider-Verse.

BTW, IIRC, his in-universe "uncle" has a real quick cameo in Far from Home.
Oh, he'll still be around the MCU, and will likely show up from time to time. But suddenly he was almost the CENTER of the MCU, after Stark's death. And that's done. Instead of the guy that helps save the universe with the greatest tech ever, now he's back to being just your friendly neighborhood Spiderman.

Nice catch on the necklace. That sounds just like Feigi - leave something small that will mean big things later.