RadioFreeLiberal.com

Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:54 pm 
Policy Wonk

So this is what watered down piss is made of...

Quote:
NEW YORK — Anheuser-Busch and MillerCoors, two of the world’s biggest beer makers, are posting online what’s inside bottles of Budweiser and Miller Lite after pressure from a food blogger.

The two companies on Thursday posted the ingredients of some of their most popular brands, and promised to be more transparent in the future. The announcements come a day after blogger Vani Hari posted a petition on FoodBabe.com to get major brewers to list what’s in their beverages.

Anheuser-Busch posted the ingredients for its two top-selling brands on its website, tapintoyourbeer.com. It lists the same ingredients for Budweiser and Bud Light: Water, barley malt, rice, yeast and hops. The company, which also makes Beck’s, Busch and Michelob beers, said it will list the ingredients for all of its other brands online “in the coming days.” It’s the first time Anheuser-Busch has detailed the ingredients of its beers.

MillerCoors posted the ingredients of Miller Lite, Coors Light and six other brands on its Facebook page. Most are made from water, barley malt, corn, yeast and hops, the company said.

"Liberalism demonstrated at its very finest."

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 12:18 am 
Policy Wonk

funny that you mentioned piss water,
while in Amsterdam my wife and i went to "the beer king"
located just outside dam square.
the claim to fame was the store was two stories full of every beer in the world.............
it was, but upon asking him why i did not see a bottle of Heineken
he rolled his eyes and said yuck, piss water, :lol:
Amstel is much better.......he was right. ;)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 12:54 am 
Board Emeritus

I never did figure out what was with that old Olimpia Beer company, right on the can they said it was because of the water. Why didn't they find better water?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:38 pm 
Board Emeritus

Who cares what combination of Barley, Malt, Hops, Water goes into beer? If it tastes good - to me - I'll drink it. I LOVE beer and I'm not above buying the cheapest brew in the store.
I note that while brewers are allowed to list the ingredients, they are still not allowed to list anything other than alcoholic content (if it's about 5%) and calories. This is because of an agreement made in concert with the repeal of Prohibition. They can't list any thing that may make beer appear to have any nutritional value. Does it?
Hard to say, but I suspect it does. At the very least, beer has a helluva lot more in the way of nutrition than does, say, Pepsi. We instinctively know that a drink made from barley, malt, hops contains something in the way of vitamins and nutrients. But, it's that awful alcoholic content! Oy Vey! The shame! The Shame!
More than 10 years ago, I tried to find out. Under the guise of writing an article (which, in truth, I would have had I been able), I contacted a number of the "bigs" in the industry. In every case, I was told that they were forbidden to list anything that could be "mistaken" as beneficial. Look on the side of your can of beer. What do you see? "GOVERNMENT WARNING: According to the Surgeon General...."
And so, Prohibition was repealed and the virtues of beer must never be revealed.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 3:12 pm 
Board Emeritus

I never did figure out what was with that old Olimpia Beer company, right on the can they said it was because of the water. Why didn't they find better water?

Like many other companies who claim "It's the water" it's really not the type of water that makes the beer taste better. It doesn't matter if the beer is made with spring water, glacial water, or tape water. Before anything gets mixed with the water, the water is stripped of its minerals and any other things in it. Basically, it becomes pure, distilled water.

The differences in beer is the types and amount of ingredients.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 4:30 pm 
Board Emeritus

Like many other companies who claim "It's the water" it's really not the type of water that makes the beer taste better. It doesn't matter if the beer is made with spring water, glacial water, or tape water. Before anything gets mixed with the water, the water is stripped of its minerals and any other things in it. Basically, it becomes pure, distilled water.

The differences in beer is the types and amount of ingredients.

The differences in beer is the TASTE! What's tasty to some may not be tasty to others.
My eldest son drinks nothing but what he considers pure, Irish beer - Guinness, along with its darker offerings. I find it too thick and somewhat nasty.
Another son drinks nothing but Michelob Light, which I consider on a par with the Near-Beer of Prohibition days. To make up for the reduced calories and lower alcoholic content, he drinks 12 or more. Huge savings, eh?
Another son drinks only the beer produced by a local micro-brewery. Not that bad, but at more than $10 a six-pack, not something I'd make a habit of purchasing.
My youngest son has followed my lead. His tastes in beer mirror my own, find a brew that tastes good to you at the least cost and to hell with the dilettantes who are driven by class-pressure.
I'm Irish, damn it! Beer has been a part of my life for most of my 75 years. My mother just celebrated her 101th birthday. She attributes her longevity to beer and chocolate. Who am I to argue?
There's no room for elitists in the beer drinker's world. You like it? You drink it. Don't like it? Don't drink it. All others - that would be the casual drinker, or those who are swayed by advertising - need not apply.
Sallie McDonough Planty!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 5:00 pm 
Board Emeritus

The differences in beer is the TASTE! What's tasty to some may not be tasty to others.
My eldest son drinks nothing but what he considers pure, Irish beer - Guinness, along with its darker offerings. I find it too thick and somewhat nasty.
Another son drinks nothing but Michelob Light, which I consider on a par with the Near-Beer of Prohibition days. To make up for the reduced calories and lower alcoholic content, he drinks 12 or more. Huge savings, eh?
Another son drinks only the beer produced by a local micro-brewery. Not that bad, but at more than $10 a six-pack, not something I'd make a habit of purchasing.
My youngest son has followed my lead. His tastes in beer mirror my own, find a brew that tastes good to you at the least cost and to hell with the dilettantes who are driven by class-pressure.
I'm Irish, damn it! Beer has been a part of my life for most of my 75 years. My mother just celebrated her 101th birthday. She attributes her longevity to beer and chocolate. Who am I to argue?
There's no room for elitists in the beer drinker's world. You like it? You drink it. Don't like it? Don't drink it. All others - that would be the casual drinker, or those who are swayed by advertising - need not apply.
Sallie McDonough Planty!

I'm a teetotaler (I come from a family that drank very little) although I don't care much for tea so I guess I'm not much of a "totaler." I do know that just like there are wine snobs there are beer snobs as well. Who is right? Like you said, the person who drinks what they like.

I was stationed at Bitburg AB, Germany, and they have a beer named after the town brewed in Bitburg. Interestingly, the brewery was across the street from base housing. From what my friends said about it it was nasty tasting but the Germans loved it. After the Berlin Wall fell, they started selling it in the former East Germany where it was a hit. It's a Pilsener beer and in Germany, to be called a Pilsener beer they are required to follow very strict guidelines concerning the ingredients and method of brewing.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 5:40 pm 
Board Emeritus

I'm a teetotaler (I come from a family that drank very little) although I don't care much for tea so I guess I'm not much of a "totaler." I do know that just like there are wine snobs there are beer snobs as well. Who is right? Like you said, the person who drinks what they like.
I was stationed at Bitburg AB, Germany, and they have a beer named after the town brewed in Bitburg. Interestingly, the brewery was across the street from base housing. From what my friends said about it it was nasty tasting but the Germans loved it. After the Berlin Wall fell, they started selling it in the former East Germany where it was a hit. It's a Pilsener beer and in Germany, to be called a Pilsener beer they are required to follow very strict guidelines concerning the ingredients and method of brewing.

Oh, how sad! Seriously, I can't think of anything worse that being a person who doesn't drink. I know that this is supposed to be an admirable trait, but I find it a sad place. The joy of sharing a few with friends and family, the loosening of those inhibitions. How could that be wrong? Tee-totalers don't drink tea, btw. They merely eschew any potable containing alcohol. You don't have to like tea. I like tea and drink quite a bit of it, along with coffee. I draw the line on soft drinks and their overwhelming sweetness.
You don't have to drink tea to be a tee-totaler, those were the people who sought to make alcoholic beverages outlawed. They succeeded, for a time, during which the famous "rum-runners" ruled. My grandfather was a rum-runner and my father, his son-in-law (and a New York State Trooper), was tasked with stopping him, back in the days before the repeal of Prohibition. Wonderful family stories came from that, as one would expect.
We're seeing a similar affect in regards marijuana. We outlaw it and only increase its value to acquire it. When will we ever learn? When will we ever learn?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 6:22 pm 
Board Emeritus

Oh, how sad! Seriously, I can't think of anything worse that being a person who doesn't drink. I know that this is supposed to be an admirable trait, but I find it a sad place. The joy of sharing a few with friends and family, the loosening of those inhibitions. How could that be wrong? Tee-totalers don't drink tea, btw. They merely eschew any potable containing alcohol. You don't have to like tea. I like tea and drink quite a bit of it, along with coffee. I draw the line on soft drinks and their overwhelming sweetness.
You don't have to drink tea to be a tee-totaler, those were the people who sought to make alcoholic beverages outlawed. They succeeded, for a time, during which the famous "rum-runners" ruled. My grandfather was a rum-runner and my father, his son-in-law (and a New York State Trooper), was tasked with stopping him, back in the days before the repeal of Prohibition. Wonderful family stories came from that, as one would expect.
We're seeing a similar affect in regards marijuana. We outlaw it and only increase its value to acquire it. When will we ever learn? When will we ever learn?

I don't drink mainly because I think I may have what is called an "addictive personality," that is I can become easily addicted to things like food, gambling, etc.. My only real addiction is to soda which I know is bad for you but it's pretty tame considering all the other things out there. Another reason I don't drink is because if I say or do something stupid I don't want to use the excuse that I was drunk.

As for loosing inhibitions, I think the closest analogy for me to drinking would be when I have too little sleep and even then it's not much different than when I'm completely rested. IMO, if someone needs a drink to loosen their inhibitions then that's their problem. I can have a good time with people and not have any alcohol. I guess I'm just contented with myself as I am and I don't need to "loosen up" for anyone else.

Besides, I love sitting back and watching the change in personalities of people who've had a couple of drinks. It beats any reality show on TV, that's for sure and it's funnier than the best comedies.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 6:54 pm 
Board Emeritus

I don't drink mainly because I think I may have what is called an "addictive personality," that is I can become easily addicted to things like food, gambling, etc.. My only real addiction is to soda which I know is bad for you but it's pretty tame considering all the other things out there. Another reason I don't drink is because if I say or do something stupid I don't want to use the excuse that I was drunk.

As for loosing inhibitions, I think the closest analogy for me to drinking would be when I have too little sleep and even then it's not much different than when I'm completely rested. IMO, if someone needs a drink to loosen their inhibitions then that's their problem. I can have a good time with people and not have any alcohol. I guess I'm just contented with myself as I am and I don't need to "loosen up" for anyone else.

Besides, I love sitting back and watching the change in personalities of people who've had a couple of drinks. It beats any reality show on TV, that's for sure and it's funnier than the best comedies.

I hope you're not holding your breath when it comes to me.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 7:08 pm 
Board Emeritus

I hope you're not holding your breath when it comes to me.

There are things even the old and new Gods cannot change, no matter how hard they try.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:09 am 
Policy Wonk

my son got a beer making kit from his wife on Christmas many years ago, he's been making his own since.
he prefers the "hoppier" side of beers. personally, i'll drink anything offered, they're always really good
but i cannot drink too much of what he makes as i find hoppy beer gives me heartburn, additionally the alcohol %
runs pretty high in his beers so one has to careful whilst drinking it.
he made a very memorable chocolate stout flavored with peanuts..............yummy! (8% alcohol !!!) very memorable ! ;)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 3:16 pm 
Board Emeritus

my son got a beer making kit from his wife on Christmas many years ago, he's been making his own since.
he prefers the "hoppier" side of beers. personally, i'll drink anything offered, they're always really good
but i cannot drink too much of what he makes as i find hoppy beer gives me heartburn, additionally the alcohol %
runs pretty high in his beers so one has to careful whilst drinking it.
he made a very memorable chocolate stout flavored with peanuts..............yummy! (8% alcohol !!!) very memorable ! ;)

I read this on The Huffington Post and though of you guys. It's about a brewery that makes peanut butter and jelly flavored beer.

Quote:
The world is filled with weird and wacky beers, but one flavor that has recently caught our attention is peanut butter and jelly. When we first hear of PB&J beer, we were intrigued and also suspicious and maybe a little afraid. It turns out that what we thought was a unique brew is actually a burgeoning trend. Peanut butter and jelly beer is a a thing, apparently.

Catawaba Brewing Co. from Asheville, North Carolina, is selling a beer called Peanut Butter Jelly Time. According to Beer Street Journal, the beer is "brewed with raspberries and aged on peanuts." It will be available in 12 ounce cans for a limited time only in North Carolina.

PBJ Beer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 4:52 pm 
Board Emeritus

Oh sure, serve that up in a 12 ounce can, that special aluminum can taste would certainly blend in nicely with the raspberries, and aged on peanuts taste.

Probably would go real good with a lightly tossed barbecued grits and fried okra bits salad served with ranch dressing and nice big dallup (healthy tablespoon) of horseradish souse on the side.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 6:37 pm 
Board Emeritus

Why would anyone want liquid PB&J? I confess to ingesting two lbs of peanut butter a week. I love it; I'm addicted to it. Sit down with the jar and a soup spoon - no bread, no crackers, no jam nor jelly.
I love MacIntosh apples, and I love cider made from MacIntosh apples, I like it even better when it gets hard and has that bite, but I HATE Mike's Hard Cider and the even sillier Hard Lemonade. The corner store is full of fruit-flavored "malt beverages" with alcoholic content of 12% - as much as is in a lot of wine. They can't sell wine at the corner store, but they can sell "malt beverages" that for the most part taste like s__t, but they're very popular with the high school and college set. At $2.79 for a 23.5 oz can, it's tantamount to buying a 750 ml bottle of wine for under $3.
I never could understand drinks like "Pink Lady," "Grasshopper," "Sloe-Gin Fizz." I definitely don't understand PBJ beer, served with ANYTHING!
Oh, and Sam!: Thanks for horseradish suggestion. I'm going to build myself a rare roast beef sandwich topped off by a nice big dollop of horseradish sauce. Mmmmmmmmm.....

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:36 pm 
Board Emeritus

Don't get me started on Oly. YUCK!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:54 pm 
Board Emeritus

Sallie McDonough Planty!

1 can of Oly = massive hangover. When I went to Montana for my mom's surgery, all my brother had was Pabst Blue Ribbon. Nasty. I bought Old Milwaukee, he laughed. I've drank cheep beer that I didn't mind (Lucky, Buckhorn, Schmidt). and expensive beer. Love San Miguel dark. Hansa is good too. As is the brand Canadian (if you buy it in Canada. Same goes for Molson). I can handle Rainier (my mom about pukes) LOL. Fosters is good (if it's imported from down under). Fisher (French) is as nasty as the Generic Beer (remember that, white can with the word Beer on it).

When I became legal to drink, I started with Budweiser. It's what my folks drank. Can't stand the flavor of it now.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:57 pm 
Board Emeritus

OK I won't make you drink Oly. Oly is swill.

How about I get you started on your way down to the Iron Horse Brew Pub in downtown Missoula? It was in the old train station building on the traffic circle on the end of Higgins Ave last time I looked. But that was about 20 years ago.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:04 pm 
Board Emeritus

OK I won't make you drink Oly. Oly is swill.

How about I get you started on your way down to the Iron Horse Brew Pub in downtown Missoula? It was in the old train station building on the traffic circle on the end of Higgins Ave last time I looked. But that was about 20 years ago.

Well, I've not lived in Missoula since June of '85. I didn't notice if the Iron Horse is still there.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:15 pm 
Board Emeritus

I left in 99. I don't think the Iron Horse was there in 85, as I recall it was a new place in about 90. The brew master came from Germany for the job, he crewed on my boat sometimes, good man when he could get away and come up to the lake, he brought beer.