It is currently Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Tex-Mex Tabbouleh
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:41 pm 
Political Junkie

Hee, hee!!

Tabbouleh is usually referred to as a "classic Middle-Eastern salad or vegetarian side-dish," but I have found a new, wonderful way of making MY tabbouleh! I forget the term used when you take one classic ethnic dish, and cross it with another -- but I think this is an enjoyable representation of such a thing.

First, this involves bulgur wheat, and here I am lucky enough to get Bob's Red Mill selections in my local grocery store. There are many good recipes for tabbouleh. I follow most of the following recipe:

http://www.bobsredmill.com/recipes.php?recipe=1379

What I do, is, I cut the bulgur amount from 2 to 1 cups -- that is enough to work with at first, or for just a couple. Instead of using a full cup of boiling water to start the soak, I use some boiling water, and a bunch of fresh salsa (preferably the chunky kind!), and some lemon or lime (you squeeze, you chose the amount you want, but wait 'til later to possibly add more, after adding the rest of the ingredients!).

Then, instead of using parsley (I don't know if Bob's recipe calls for it), I use cilantro -- so you've got salsa and cilantro, and add the veggies you want -- after the soaking period, of course. I like to put in finely chopped-up poblano or Anaheim green chiles. You could put in canned Serrano or jalapeno. You could use more tomatoes, or be satisfied with the salsa. I always put in a ton of green onions, and cucumbers are nice. I put in minced celery occasionally (I love celery, hubby, not so much). You could add black beans and corn, if you want -- I haven't, yet! but that would make it more Tex-Mex. I still use olive oil. I finish it with salt and possibly pepper, and more citrus or my favorite vinaigrette. Just adjust to the flavors pleasing to you. I find that the bulgur may still be hard until after a few hours -- so make it in the morning for evening, and it is wonderful for days after!

Enjoy!
Pat

Post subject: Re: Tex-Mex Tabbouleh
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:25 pm 
Political Junkie

Fusion. Fusion foods.
Finally, after a year or two, I remembered!
Pat