It is currently Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 1:45 pm 
Policy Wonk

Facepalm.

Quote:
A popular bar in Maple Grove, Minn. was caught selling “Spotted Cow” beer on Monday, which is only legal in Wisconsin. All brews made by the New Glarus Brewing Company are only distributed in Wisconsin due to limited supply.

After receiving an anonymous tip, undercover police traveled to Maple Tavern where they were served a glass of the Wisconsin-only beer.

Investigators also saw images of a Spotted Cow tap handle on Maple Tavern's Facebook page, and advertising indicating that the beer was available.

Since New Glarus Brewing Company is not a licensed manufacturer of alcohol in Minnesota, there are no licensed Minnesota distributors who are authorized to legally distribute the beer to retail establishments.

Not excusing what they did. Spotted Cow is really good beer so I understand why everyone outside of Wisconsin wishes they could sell it.

"Liberalism demonstrated at its very finest."

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 2:21 pm 
Board Emeritus

Facepalm.

Not excusing what they did. Spotted Cow is really good beer so I understand why everyone outside of Wisconsin wishes they could sell it.

Breweries give bars and taverns promotional items like neon signs, posters, coasters, tap handles as a way to promote their products. This is normally done through their sales agent so my question is where did the tavern get the Spotted Cow tap handle if not through the brewery's sales agent?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 5:01 pm 
Policy Wonk

Breweries give bars and taverns promotional items like neon signs, posters, coasters, tap handles as a way to promote their products. This is normally done through their sales agent so my question is where did the tavern get the Spotted Cow tap handle if not through the brewery's sales agent?

The brewery doesn't sell outside of Wisconsin. If I want some Spotted I have to drive up to Wisconsin to get it. My guess is the tap handle is an old one someone else in Wisconsin had that made its way into the hands of the bar's management.

"Liberalism demonstrated at its very finest."

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:11 pm 
Board Emeritus

The brewery doesn't sell outside of Wisconsin. If I want some Spotted I have to drive up to Wisconsin to get it. My guess is the tap handle is an old one someone else in Wisconsin had that made its way into the hands of the bar's management.

Sounds logical, but then it it is a tap handle the the tavern is using a keg of Spotted Cow beer so how did they get the keg? I'm sure it's possible they bought the keg from a distributor but then they'd have to sell each mug of beer at a higher prices than the other beers to turn a profit after having to go to Wisconsin to buy it.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:11 pm 
Board Emeritus

Those cops need to get a life. I remember when you couldn't buy Coors in Montana. If you wanted Coors, you made a road trip to Idaho. Stupid.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:50 pm 
Board Emeritus

I'm spoiled. All the New Glarus beer I can drink, without it being a crime.

Since the brewery has always been limited by capacity rather than demand, I would expect a large-scale expansion in the near future.

BTW: The "Two Women" and the "Cabin Fever" are both delicious.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:39 pm 
Board Emeritus

Those cops need to get a life. I remember when you couldn't buy Coors in Montana. If you wanted Coors, you made a road trip to Idaho. Stupid.

With Coors being a local brew, I've always been a bit taken back by people who would drive to get some. I mean if all you had was Olimpia beer, or that ghastly Generic beer. Generic beer was Falstaff.

At Olimpia, they've know it was the water all along, and they never have done anything about it. Coors uses mountain water from a mining area, means its been percolating through fault veins, gushing through hard rock picking up minerals, as water goes it's a wee bit hard. And they never have done anything about it

:|

Not as bad as the red iron laden stuff we wished we still had in our dry well though. It was so hard one counted hardness in hundredths, instead of parts per million, but it's gone now.

It sure would be nice of it rained; for three months.