Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:16 pm 
Board Emeritus

www.youtube.com Video from : www.youtube.com

Did you know the shrimp you buy may have been handled by slaves? The people are beaten if they don’t perform to the taskmaster’s satisfaction. They toil 16 hrs. a day. Sad thing is, many of our politicians in Washington know about it but look the other way for profits. Thailand is the primary offender and this is what global free trade leads to.

Read more here:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/us- ... cee16f1aaa

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 12:30 am 
Board Emeritus

Except they were being paid minimum wage; and there was no aspect of bondage other than complete isolation; and no one was being cruel; nor were children involved, I've seen working conditions like those described in the OP, in Alaska. The same hours, the same backbreaking labor with hands in ice cold wet.

The people I saw were from all parts of the globe. They were on six month contracts, and they were forced to take six weeks vacation in their home countries before they were allowed to reenlist for another six month contract. Airfare was paid if contracts were completed, people could quit, or be fired, if they quit they had their round trip airfare deducted from wages, if they were fired the company paid the way. They punched a clock, minimum wage, and time and a half for overtime which tended to be about as many hours as straight time. They were covered under workman's comp, but no other befits.

Except the company housed them and fed them and had a nurse who dealt with minor medical problems, and a helicopter for fast flights to a hospital.

As I was reading I could feel the pain. I don't doubt the cruel slavery bondage described. I wondered how an outside reporter would describe some of the shore plants I've seen scattered about the Aleutian Islands. :|

What I noticed most was no report was given about the working conditions involved with the growing and harvesting of the shrimp. Without a report about it I can only wonder about the wet hell hiding out in the swamp. Where a reporter would need a boat to go.

I noticed the comments below the story, these two stood out:

Quote:
Marek Gazda
It's amazing that Thailand is allowed in the TPP...the seminal agreement which "protects" labor rights. /s

James Charles O'Donnell III
And THIS is the "business model" that President Obama is willing to overlook in order to get the TPP passed (so the corporations can enslave the rest of us)! Didn't his State Department have to revise its definition of SLAVERY in order to move the TPP closer to passage? (YES, it did.)

Thailand is not a signatory in the TPP. The TPP by coming into existence isolates Thailand in the world market, that puts considerable pressure on them to clean up their act. Clearly the Thai government is complicit in this human trafficking.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:30 pm 
Political Junkie

Because Congress kowtowed to NAFTA and repealed the "Country of Origin" law, we may be no longer able to chose shrimp that do not come from slave labor places, or polluted waters.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:54 pm 
Policy Wonk

eating shrimp....an abomination.

Business should have the right not to serve people who eat shrimp. And I expect the state to pass laws protecting my right to make that decision. If you want to catch shrimp privately and eat it privately in your homes, fine. But I'm tired of the shrimp eating and shrimp eating supporters in the elites who are trying to force the shrimp eating lifestyle on the rest of us.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 4:44 pm 
Banned

I love eating prawns in Thailand, blue crab is incredible as well. BBQ stingray....so good. This thread has convinced me time for trip to my second home of Asia with a stop thru Singapore china town. :)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 9:17 am 
Board Emeritus

eating shrimp....an abomination.

BTW, for the last couple weeks, the local Jewish Journal has been advertising the Shrimp-focused buffet they're currently running at Golden Corral.

Of course, most of the ads for Chinese food places advertise their shrimp with lobster sauce. (Double treyf.)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:17 pm 
Board Emeritus

BTW, for the last couple weeks, the local Jewish Journal has been advertising the Shrimp-focused buffet they're currently running at Golden Corral.

Of course, most of the ads for Chinese food places advertise their shrimp with lobster sauce. (Double treyf.)

Shrimp can be good, in moderation of course.

Crab and lobster are way overrated...again, moderation helps.

It's the bisque sauce that really makes the meal.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:52 pm 
Board Emeritus

I can say, having lived in Baltimore, there is little that cannot be improved by seasoning it with Old Bay.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:13 am 
Banned

I can say, having lived in Baltimore, there is little that cannot be improved by seasoning it with Old Bay.

Agreed, picked up some the other day. New girl has me cooking again. Hasn't convinced me yet to eat greens. Potatoes are a veggie I think :). I am a steak, meat, wild game and fish eater. I do love potatoes and good Italian. Best carbonera I ever had was in Thailand.