RadioFreeLiberal.com

Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:21 pm 
Board Emeritus

My yuppie son-in-law bought me a fifth of Bourbon from a distillers named Michters. It is US*1 small batch bourbon and is far and away better than any I ve ever tasted. It has an aroma that is also second to none and its flavor and aroma are almost identical. I don't know if it is available everywhere but, if you are looking for a top shelf bourbon for yourself or a gift there is no better choice.

"within weeks of being rid of the likes of you, rid of every fucking one of you,we would begin to see what kind of country this ought to be" Ike Bana 6/14/18

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 7:06 pm 
Policy Wonk

Cool. How does it stand up to . . . say . . . Makers Mark?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:07 am 
Board Emeritus

It was some years ago I was working on a grocery stores refrigeration and he store owner asked me if I had a saw. I did, and he made it worth my while to saw some old whisky barrels in half to make planters.

I got more than worth my while. Out of about ten barrels I got about three gallons of whisky and charcoal. lots of chunks of charcoal were in it. I strained that out, kept the whisky. It was aged after it had been aged, smooth and mellow. I've never had any as good as that before or since.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 8:01 am 
Board Emeritus

Cool. How does it stand up to . . . say . . . Makers Mark?

It isn't as mellow as Makers Mark as it is almost 92 proof and does have a slight bite to it.

"within weeks of being rid of the likes of you, rid of every fucking one of you,we would begin to see what kind of country this ought to be" Ike Bana 6/14/18

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 8:03 am 
Board Emeritus

It was some years ago I was working on a grocery stores refrigeration and he store owner asked me if I had a saw. I did, and he made it worth my while to saw some old whisky barrels in half to make planters.

I got more than worth my while. Out of about ten barrels I got about three gallons of whisky and charcoal. lots of chunks of charcoal were in it. I strained that out, kept the whisky. It was aged after it had been aged, smooth and mellow. I've never had any as good as that before or since.

Now I am jealous. What a great once in a lifetime deal. The only problem is you might have been to young to appreciate it at the time.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:12 pm 
Board Emeritus

It's not a once in a lifetime deal. Every time I see used oak whisky barrels for sale I systematically work my way through the stack picking them up and shaking them to see if any of them slosh. I found two that did and bought them in 2007, and I got about a gallon that time. As I recall I paid $36 for them. $36 dollars a gallon is a good price for good whisky.

Another time I thought i had found more whisky, but it turned out to be something else. It was brandy or something. It was pretty good but I don't know what it was.

It occurs to me you might live in a much better place to find surplus oak whisky barrels you could pick up an shake to see if they slosh. Distilleries only char and use an oak barrel to age whiskey once.