It is currently Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:31 pm 
Board Emeritus

New York City’s Iconic Carnegie Deli Closes at Midnight
http://time.com/4619824/carnegie-deli-new-york-city/

Satellite locations in other cities will remain open; it's just the NY "Mothership" that is closing.

BTW, the owner was offered $10 million at the last minute to save the restaurant, and wouldn't take it.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:40 pm 
Board Emeritus

Forced to pay $2.6 million in back pay, labor dispute, probably overtime.

Reminds me of my high school gas station job. Company was owned by former Chevron Exec, opened up many gas stations in our area.

I noticed the first time I worked more than 40 hours in one week I didnt get overtime, I knew about the law , this was a LONG time ago.

I approached the owner, who was a client of my dad, so not a complete stranger, and asked him and he said, and I quote (will never forget this) "We dont do that here."

I said "oh? I thought it was the law" ...and I dont remember what happened after that but a few months later we all got checks and not because of me, someone else turned the prick in, wish I had but I was 17 and he and my dad were associates, etc.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 3:54 pm 
Board Emeritus

Good lord. NYC will never be the same.

Course there's always the Second Avenue Deli (on First Avenue), but they aren't as good.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:31 pm 
Board Emeritus

One word Gentrification.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:15 pm 
Board Emeritus

a few words.
where does all that meat come from?

how much meat do they haul in on a daily basis...much of which does not sell, its born grown fed
raised on a feed lot somewhere then sold to the NYC deli business which, by the end of day, tosses
much of this animal growth to the dumpster where homeless people TRY to get at it since its wasted.

yah, i realize this is a symbol of old good times in the US, in murica....but fucking times change.
they birth and feed millions of animals just so they can ship "meat" to this and other places.
ive got no love left for this shit.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:17 pm 
Board Emeritus

It's a historic location.

Films were made there. Like Woody Allen's Broadway Danny Rose.

Used to have a lot of famous customers. Henny Youngman, Adam Sandler, etc.

It was considered for many "the most famous deli in the U.S."

Delicatessen culture represents something for numerous ethnic communities in the U.S., Jews being one, but not the only.

I guess for me this is not just a change of commerce, but a passing of culture. Perhaps unavoidable, but not to go unremarked.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:34 pm 
Board Emeritus

Delicatessen culture represents something for numerous ethnic communities in the U.S., Jews being one, but not the only.

I guess for me this is not just a change of commerce, but a passing of culture. Perhaps unavoidable, but not to go unremarked.

And I should have acknowledged that, which of course I know as I am a Woody Allen fanatic.

But I couldnt help but note yet again screwing over the working person was the theme of the situation.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:41 pm 
Board Emeritus

here's the thing professor.
its the days of old. gone.

gone are the days when rich fucks grazed the "pastrami" on free plentiful land full of grasses
and...TREES. its all Gone.

it NO longer matters the emotional, likely contrived, nostalgia for names and places such
as this...or any other fast food joint using the meat from animals by the millions killed just
to feed the pie holes of white folks who get to travel to NYC, or miami or any other fucking
city where the hinterlands, the rural fly overs GROW this meat ...or...these animals. live animals.

vs...the corp meat farms where they just CAGE feed and kill.

you pick.

i really dont give a fuck about the brain dead white world of meat eaters.
eat each other first, is always a good rule.
you may need that animal to cart your ass out of where ever 'there' is.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:55 pm 
Board Emeritus

Dunno, that's down from Carnegie Hall. The Art Students' League is around there. They have cheap figure sessions and such. I do have some actor friends living in Hell's Kitchen a bit west, and that area does seem to be gentrifying, though last time I was there it was still NYC funky around the edges. But yeah, Manhattan always gets more expensive. I can't believe what our little place is worth, and with the Second Avenue Subway about to open, it'll appreciate some more.

The Meat Packing District used to actually supply meat to all these places, amazingly enough, before it became the land of Ferraris and A-list designers. I have a good friend who at the time had set up a movie-ish business in a hole in the wall there, and it was still cobblestone streets and friendly working class gritty, and people knew each other, and trains really would bring in dead animals on what's now the High Line. They would actually start at some wee hour of the morning and pack meat in the Meat Packing District.

No more.

Seems that meat consumption is already quite a bit down in Manhattan. :-)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:36 pm 
Board Emeritus

anyone, remaining, who has brain tissue also remaining, will see the use of "animals" as a
source of "food" beyond absurd.
the amount it takes to feed "cow" or any other animal used to feed "HUMAN" is not at all sustainble...in ANY fashion.
you got nearly 8billion human pieholes to shove feed into...you think this planet can keep feeding them
and, for how long?

get over it. its like hoping the "forests" will just...come back.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:41 pm 
Board Emeritus

OK. But we had a thread about Chinese restaurants, a while back, and those serve meat also.

Could have just as well raised those same issues there, too.

I guess my point would be, other than the handful of vegetarian-only restaurants in the U.S. (of which there aren't many), just about all of them are contributing to that problem.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:44 pm 
Board Emeritus

I remember another deli closing. It closed in two parts, first they closed the New York Bakery next door to the New York Deli in Boulder Colorado, back in about 1982. I was there, I bought most of the equipment at the bankruptcy auction. In 24 hours after the auction I pumped down the refrigeration systems, removed the compressors and pipes, dismantled the oven, packed it all up into a big truck and drove away.

The deli survived the bankruptcy reorganization, however it closed its doors for good in 1999. I wasn't there for that, however I heard all about it in Montana.

I never got to meet Mork or Mindy. I'm of that age I would have liked to have met Mindy.

Last edited by Sam Lefthand on Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:46 pm 
Board Emeritus

OK. But we had a thread about Chinese restaurants, a while back, and those serve meat also.

Could have just as well raised those same issues there, too.

well prof im sure i did or, i missed the thread.

its an animal waste on human issue, i dont care what the culture is. there are too many humans
using needing wanting too many animals to fill their, personal, void.

humans are animals...mammals. who gets to eat us, and, is that what we fear as the human
creature, why we...react so fucking poorly to...living.

smh. humans basically disgust me the animal prefer-er.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:47 pm 
Board Emeritus

Well, if even Mork from Ork would eat there, it had to be good. :D

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:18 pm 
Policy Wonk

anyone, remaining, who has brain tissue also remaining, will see the use of "animals" as a
source of "food" beyond absurd.
the amount it takes to feed "cow" or any other animal used to feed "HUMAN" is not at all sustainble...in ANY fashion.
you got nearly 8billion human pieholes to shove feed into...you think this planet can keep feeding them
and, for how long?

get over it. its like hoping the "forests" will just...come back.
Let's not forget about the environmental cost of transporting foods of all types...including fruits and vegetables. And then there are serious environmental impact of commercial farming, both animal and vegetable. Economies of scale can help...so if you live in an urban area, that might minimize impacts...How far are people driving for your food...that has a significant impact. If you grow your food yourself, depending on your practices, it may be more positive or more negative. Irrigation-negative....fertilizers-negative.....refrigeration-negative....artificial lighting-negative....power tools-negative.

If you don't like meat for humanitarian reasons, for taste reasons, for health reasons, for religious reasons, all ok. But don't be a holier than thou vegetarian....Very few of us don't leave negative impacts. (Especially because Prof's point was cultural, not to promote pastrami.)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:41 pm 
Board Emeritus

Let's not forget about the environmental cost of transporting foods of all types...including fruits and vegetables. And then there are serious environmental impact of commercial farming, both animal and vegetable. Economies of scale can help...so if ou live in an urban area, that might minimize impacts...How far are people driving for your food...that has a significant impact. If you grow your food yourself, depending on your practices, it may be more positive or more negative. Irrigation-negative....fertilizers-negative.....refrigeration-negative....artificial lighting-negative....power tools-negative.

If you don't like meat for humanitarian reasons, for taste reasons, for health reasons, for religious reasons, all ok. But don't be a holier than thou vegetarian....Very few of us don't leave negative impacts. (Especially because Prof's point was cultural, not to promote pastrami.)

this holier than thou is not a vegetarian, if thats the suggestion.
i got my family off cow in the 80's.
that doesnt mean all meat is free from me.

my point more so was about population size and its demand for "meat".
wallst and its demand for "meat" of any variety to "sell" to arbys or you, the consumed public.

as well, from where ive been what ive seen there is Way too much food grown in the US.
i see local farmers at the end of the season and how much food goes to waste.
we grow apples locally....why are we importing them also?

let alone the masses of 'grocery store' waste as well the restaurant food waste both of which
come from corp farming and its waste.
they grow for the subsidies to grow....they dont GAF if the food is "eaten" they just want money
to grow it.

so when it comes to the animals caged and killed to wastefully feed 8billion stupid fucking pie holes yah
i got some issues.
another thing?....feeding all these pieholes doesnt seem to be helping much "get better" which makes the
waste worse to fathom.
but, like the mayans, it wont last forever.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:48 pm 
Board Emeritus

Corporate farming practices are a big problem, and a minor long term threat to the survival of the species. There are bigger threats, such as the species itself. Still, it's a long term threat.

We cut way down the consumption of Cow even before we got gassed out passing the feedlot by the I-5 once too often. Phew. And you know the ones you can't see are worse.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:30 pm 
Board Emeritus

Corporate farming practices are a big problem, and a minor long term threat to the survival of the species. There are bigger threats, such as the species itself. Still, it's a long term threat.

We cut way down the consumption of Cow even before we got gassed out passing the feedlot by the I-5 once too often. Phew. And you know the ones you can't see are worse.

Indeed. Even when a farm is independent, the market is corporate, and the pressures that impose leaves little wiggle room for the remaining family farmers to use sustainable farming practices even if they want to.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:16 pm 
Board Emeritus

It is with a heavy heart and somber face that I must report the closure of the Formosa Cafe, on SM Blvd next to that neat old Sam Goldwyn/ Warner Hollywood/ etc studio that's now calling itself just "The Lot." L.A. joins NYC in mourning.