EARTH....

News and events of the day
Number6

Re: EARTH....

Post by Number6 »

ZoWie wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 11:31 am In LA the weather forecasters have been predicting doom for a week now, but nothing happens. Last night there was a blizzard warning for Los Angeles County.

Turns out that it was for one small climate zone in the mountains. The emergency warning system is not granular enough to accommodate all our vertical climate zones. This makes it pretty much useless for anything short of a nuclear attack.

We have been assured that we're about to see the craziest storm in these parts in decades, but meanwhile the sun keeps shining and the wind is somewhere between zephyr and breeze level. We have been told to watch out for blowing snow, ice accumulations, and tornadoes.

In other words, the weather forecast is like the rest of the news.
The local news in San Diego is forecasting high winds with some rain over the next couple of days. I won't be until next Wednesday until we'll get an atmospheric river that will dump 2.5 - 3 inches of rain. It looks like your neck of the woods will get it on Tuesday.
When you vote left, you vote right.
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

There's another storm in the forecast for next week, after the one forecast for tomorrow night moves through, but so far they have Tuesday as slight chance of rain.
"We must remember that we cannot abandon the truth and remain a free nation." --Liz Cheney, Republican, 7/21/22
ap215

Post by ap215 »

Welp I'm convinced Mother Nature has a mind of it's own so long normal weather times.

First Alert Weather: EF-2 tornado tore through Mercer County, New Jersey during Tuesday's storm

LAWRENCE TOWNSHIP, N.J. - Residents in Mercer County are cleaning up after the National Weather Service confirmed an EF-2 tornado tore through the area Tuesday.

Several buildings were damaged, and trees were strewn about. One resident described seeing a "funnel" move past her window.

https://www.cbsnews.com/newyork/live-up ... ew-jersey/
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

Tornadoes big enough to make the Enhanced Fujita scale are year round now. Yes, it's predicted by chaos theory and the consequences of putting more energy into a system. Greenhouse gases trap heat and destabilize the atmosphere.
"We must remember that we cannot abandon the truth and remain a free nation." --Liz Cheney, Republican, 7/21/22
ap215

Post by ap215 »

Thunder and Lightning Reported in San Francisco

San Francisco residents reported lightning and thunder in the city Thursday night.

https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/t ... o/3165219/
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

Nothing spectacular here in the flats, but mountains are getting pretty dramatic. Reed Timmer is in Wrightwood ready to take pictures of that famous blizzard that hasn't happened yet. Believe it or not the ski resort is still open, but chains are required and I'm not sure that very many people remember how to drive in this stuff.

We are assured every 15 minutes by the Nooz that the end of the world is at hand, but so far it's just another cold winter storm like we used to get before climate change. The weather is partying like it's 1985.
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

Well, LA is still there, though Nooz may be telling you otherwise. Nothing around here, closest being some bozo who drove his Porsche onto a flooded freeway and had to be rescued. (Him that is... the Porsche, what's really important, remains semi-submerged at this time.)

The weather people said the Santa Clarita River, wherever that is, would erode its banks, and it did, and an RV park in Valencia, wherever that is, is missing a few RVs. Occupants got out, RVs are now in the blue, oops I mean brown, Pacific.

Nothing about Santa Monica Pier, so I guess it's still there. There was another storm in time immemorial that took the whole thing out. Some of it washed up in Venice. I had a piece of it for a while, though I don't know what happened to it. Looks like they did a good job on the rebuild.

Somewhere around here I still have an old slide, yes a slide that's how old it is, of a boulder the size of a Mini Cooper that got picked up by a storm and deposited in the middle of the parking lot next to the pier in Redondo Beach. It had previously been in the breakwater, several hundred feet away. I kid you not. (That's why I had to drive down there and take pictures.) I don't know how they got that out of there. Probably blew it up and trucked away the debris.
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

4.8" here in 24 hours. Not spectacular in normal places, but who said LA was normal? Nothing like that has happened since before The Blob and the early days of climate change. 35 years sounds just about right. Half the people in LA weren't born.
Number6

Post by Number6 »

ZoWie wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 2:15 pm Nothing spectacular here in the flats, but mountains are getting pretty dramatic. Reed Timmer is in Wrightwood ready to take pictures of that famous blizzard that hasn't happened yet. Believe it or not the ski resort is still open, but chains are required and I'm not sure that very many people remember how to drive in this stuff.

We are assured every 15 minutes by the Nooz that the end of the world is at hand, but so far it's just another cold winter storm like we used to get before climate change. The weather is partying like it's 1985.
I was stationed at George AFB, Victorville, and we had one NCO in our flight who lived in Wrightwood. He said in the winter he'd have to put chains on his car to get up the hill to his house. The thing he hated about it was he only needed his chains for about a block of travel.
Number6

Post by Number6 »

ZoWie wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 11:24 am Well, LA is still there, though Nooz may be telling you otherwise. Nothing around here, closest being some bozo who drove his Porsche onto a flooded freeway and had to be rescued. (Him that is... the Porsche, what's really important, remains semi-submerged at this time.)

The weather people said the Santa Clarita River, wherever that is, would erode its banks, and it did, and an RV park in Valencia, wherever that is, is missing a few RVs. Occupants got out, RVs are now in the blue, oops I mean brown, Pacific.

Nothing about Santa Monica Pier, so I guess it's still there. There was another storm in time immemorial that took the whole thing out. Some of it washed up in Venice. I had a piece of it for a while, though I don't know what happened to it. Looks like they did a good job on the rebuild.

Somewhere around here I still have an old slide, yes a slide that's how old it is, of a boulder the size of a Mini Cooper that got picked up by a storm and deposited in the middle of the parking lot next to the pier in Redondo Beach. It had previously been in the breakwater, several hundred feet away. I kid you not. (That's why I had to drive down there and take pictures.) I don't know how they got that out of there. Probably blew it up and trucked away the debris.
MSNBC had a reporter by the LA River. I know for years people made fun of the LA River because it was concrete with just a trickle of water running in it. For those not familiar with the river, in the movie Grease it was where they held a drag race. But today, it was deep and running fast. Fortunately, the river is contained by the concrete so there's little chance of erosion causing banks to collapse or endanger people or property. But like the guy in the Porsche, never underestimate the stupidity of people in the rain. In San Diego, the Mission Valley area where there are two big malls and a lot of large condo/apartment complexes, whenever we get a lot of rain there is one road that always floods and inevitably some fool tries to drive through and get stuck requiring the Rescue Squad to save them.
Number6

Post by Number6 »

ZoWie wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 12:10 pm 4.8" here in 24 hours. Not spectacular in normal places, but who said LA was normal? Nothing like that has happened since before The Blob and the early days of climate change. 35 years sounds just about right. Half the people in LA weren't born.
The local news said San Diego had its first blizzard warning in its history and it's the oldest city in California. The last time it snowed here was back in the late 60s.
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

Snow on the HOLLYWOOD sign. Now that is a semiotic. We just shot the one-sheet for climate change.
ap215

Post by ap215 »

Pol looks to limit imports of dangerous lithium-ion batteries after wave of fires

A local elected is pushing to curb the import of dangerous unbranded lithium-ion batteries commonly used in e-bikes that have contributed to a rash of recent fires.

Congress Member Nydia Velázquez, who represents swaths of northern Brooklyn penned a letter the U.S Customs and Border Patrol (CBP) agency looking for better enforcement of those batteries, which are often of poor quality and serious safety risks.

https://www.brooklynpaper.com/pol-pens- ... batteries/
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

Same problem with e-scooters. One of them burned down a market in New York a few days back. The coop board for our building in NYC has banned them after a different fire down the street with the same origin.

Ever see a Tesla get short circuited? Happens in crashes, triggers a thermal runaway. It's pretty spectacular. Crash and burn.
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

It appears the doom prophecies from the weather people a couple of weeks ago weren't taken any more seriously by the authorities than I took them. Well, we were all wrong. There was a blizzard in LA. OK, it's a technicality, actually most of the problems are in Ventura and San Bernardino counties. So there might have been a blizzard in a part of LA, Mt. Lukens, where there are no people. The roads there are certainly still pretty bad.

However, the big problem is at the mountain resorts. Lake Arrowhead, Big Bear, Wrightwood, etc. Reed Timmer even came and took pictures, though he got out while the getting was good. Now he's moved back to tornado alley.

People are snowed in for over a week now. 7 feet in places. Cars are completely buried. No power, no heat, no food, no water. Also no emergency response. A lot of agencies are doing a lot of stuff, but the roads are GONE. I don't think they ever had delimiters like the ones in Tahoe. You don't even know where the road is. Anyway, you need a snow cat to get there. Not a lot of those in SoCal. You probably saw the aerial photos of HELP signs written in the snow. It seems almost certain that someone's going to die.

It's also now officially the coldest winter in 40 years, though in LA all that means is that there haven't been those sudden 85 degree heat waves after it's been 50 out for a week. I don't miss those, frankly. I like my seasons one at a time. But a lot of people are shell shocked.

Now the weather people are running models to see if yet another atmospheric river will miss LA and only flood northern CA, or if we will have a shot at rainiest winter in LA history.

--------

I suspect that movie scripts are being hashed out over lunch even as we speak.
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

ZoWie wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 11:42 am It appears the doom prophecies from the weather people a couple of weeks ago weren't taken any more seriously by the authorities than I took them. Well, we were all wrong. There was a blizzard in LA. OK, it's a technicality, actually most of the problems are in Ventura and San Bernardino counties. So there might have been a blizzard in a part of LA, Mt. Lukens, where there are no people. The roads there are certainly still pretty bad.

However, the big problem is at the mountain resorts. Lake Arrowhead, Big Bear, Wrightwood, etc. Reed Timmer even came and took pictures, though he got out while the getting was good. Now he's moved back to tornado alley.

People are snowed in for over a week now. 7 feet in places. Cars are completely buried. No power, no heat, no food, no water. Also no emergency response. A lot of agencies are doing a lot of stuff, but the roads are GONE. I don't think they ever had delimiters like the ones in Tahoe. You don't even know where the road is. Anyway, you need a snow cat to get there. Not a lot of those in SoCal. You probably saw the aerial photos of HELP signs written in the snow. It seems almost certain that someone's going to die.

It's also now officially the coldest winter in 40 years, though in LA all that means is that there haven't been those sudden 85 degree heat waves after it's been 50 out for a week. I don't miss those, frankly. I like my seasons one at a time. But a lot of people are shell shocked.

Now the weather people are running models to see if yet another atmospheric river will miss LA and only flood northern CA, or if we will have a shot at rainiest winter in LA history.

--------

I suspect that movie scripts are being hashed out over lunch even as we speak.
Willing to bet even money that if you watch faux news for 8 hours today you will see someone implying that the cold, harsh winter proves climate change is bullshit, they might even call it "global warming" to make their point.

Oh what I would give to be there when global warming wipes out a Hannity or Carlson mansion.
I sigh in your general direction.
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

Yes, the same people who seem to think God created the Caucasian race to use all the other ones as slaves also think that climate change means it's hot all the time. They don't get that it's about AVERAGE temperatures as an indicator of how much energy is available to the atmosphere to throw fits like the one it's throwing this winter on the West Coast while New York gets only the occasional flake that melts on contact.

More energy, bigger fits.
Number6

Post by Number6 »

ZoWie wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 11:42 am People are snowed in for over a week now. 7 feet in places. Cars are completely buried. No power, no heat, no food, no water. Also no emergency response. A lot of agencies are doing a lot of stuff, but the roads are GONE. I don't think they ever had delimiters like the ones in Tahoe. You don't even know where the road is. Anyway, you need a snow cat to get there. Not a lot of those in SoCal. You probably saw the aerial photos of HELP signs written in the snow. It seems almost certain that someone's going to die.
I remember driving in snow in Germany, they would have markers on the side of the road with one-reflector indicating the marker was on the right-side of the road. It was use so the driver would stay in their lane when the roads were covered in snow and you couldn't see the lane markers. If you saw two reflectors it meant you were on the left-side and in the wrong lane.

I haven't driven in snow in nearly 30-years so I don't remember if the U.S. uses this system in areas where it snows. If not, it would be a good idea to implement it.
ap215

Post by ap215 »

Passenger dies after severe turbulence on private business jet, aviation officials say

(CNN) -- One person died as a result of severe turbulence on a private business jet that was diverted to the Bradley International Airport in Windsor Locks, Connecticut, on Friday, according to aviation officials.

A Bombardier CL30 jet departing from Dillant-Hopkins Airport in Keene, New Hampshire, heading to Leesburg Executive Airport in Virginia was diverted to the Connecticut airport around 4 p.m. on Friday after "encountering severe turbulence," the Federal Aviation Administration wrote in a statement to CNN.

https://www.accuweather.com/en/weather- ... et/1492743
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

Number6 wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 1:14 pm I remember driving in snow in Germany, they would have markers on the side of the road with one-reflector indicating the marker was on the right-side of the road. It was use so the driver would stay in their lane when the roads were covered in snow and you couldn't see the lane markers. If you saw two reflectors it meant you were on the left-side and in the wrong lane.

I haven't driven in snow in nearly 30-years so I don't remember if the U.S. uses this system in areas where it snows. If not, it would be a good idea to implement it.
They have something like that in Tahoe. They're tall, in case the snow is deep. I haven't seen them in the SoCal mountains, but then I haven't been up there since 2018 or so. If this is the future, I don't mind my taxes going for them.
Number6

Post by Number6 »

ZoWie wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 4:25 pm They have something like that in Tahoe. They're tall, in case the snow is deep. I haven't seen them in the SoCal mountains, but then I haven't been up there since 2018 or so. If this is the future, I don't mind my taxes going for them.
I'll be heading up to Reno for a bowling tournament in a couple of week and I'll keep an eye out for them.
ap215

Post by ap215 »

La Nina, which worsens hurricanes and drought, is gone

WASHINGTON (AP) — After three nasty years, the La Nina weather phenomenon that increases Atlantic hurricane activity and worsens western drought is gone, the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration said Thursday.

That’s usually good news for the United States and other parts of the world, including drought-stricken northeast Africa, scientists said.

https://apnews.com/article/la-nina-seve ... 240589346b
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

No surprise.

Right now LA looks more like an El Nino. This is getting ridiculous.
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

ZoWie wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 4:50 pm No surprise.

Right now LA looks more like an El Nino. This is getting ridiculous.
Without saying where I am , north of you, we did not get slammed like we expected the past 24 hours. We got rain and a lot but no flooding and no wind related outages that I know of.
I sigh in your general direction.
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

There's insufficient data to make a call right now. It appears that the atmospheric river is passing through farther south than predicted.

I'll be interested in how the weather people explain this winter. It's the coldest in 50 years, though in SoCal that's relative, and the rainiest in something like 25.