RadioFreeLiberal.com

Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:40 am 
Policy Wonk

One of my favorites in Taiwan is Chinese Hot Pot with congealed duck blood as one of the ingredients. Absolutely delicious.
Another is "stinky tofu." It is a deep-fried, fermented tofu served with a spicy, vinegary, salty sauce. Also, delicious, but it does live up to its name. It stinks. There is a building under construction next to us, and the "stinky tofu" vendors park their trucks in front of our building and cook the tofu for the workers. The smell takes a lot of getting used to.
If Taiwan has a "national snack" it is probably squid-on-a-stick. In the U.S. you go to a carnival or fair and see the kids with cotton candy. Here, it's squid-on-a-stick.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 5:42 pm 
Site Admin

It's been a long time since I visited this thread, and in that time I've moved to the heart of Cajun country in south Louisiana. Yes, there are some strange things here, but these folks know how to eat, dance, and party. They're also very traditionally salt of the earth types making use of just about everything for food.

Aside from the Crawfish and shrimp, and the myriad ways of preparing/presenting it, here are some of the other stranger regional foods:

Boudin: a type of sausage, that is more of a pork dressing with rice inside of it. You typically boil it then split open the casing and either eat it as is, or use it in other recipes (some people even scramble eggs with it).

Boudin balls: Battered and deep fried boudin. This can be very good, depending on where you get it (everybody has a slightly different Boudin recipe).

Alligator steaks and sausages (haven't tried these yet)

Alligator boudin balls: Essentially boudin balls with alligator meat. I tried this and it was okay (a bit greasy/gamey for my taste).

King cakes: awesome sweet cakes you can get between Christmas and Mardi Gras. Google if you haven't heard of them before, but I think these are also now being sold in other parts of the country now.

Those are the stranger ones I can think of for now. Now I'm off to start prepping my gumbo for tomorrow. GoU's going to try it, so I hope he gives it a two thumbs up!

-P

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 8:14 pm 
Policy Wonk

I've had alligator. It was decent.

I've not had alligator pie, stew or soup though.

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 12:44 am 
Political Junkie

I once dined at a restaurant in Belgrade, Yugoslavia that had a dish, the locals called 'gar-BAJ'.. sausage stuffed with onions, bell peppers and garbanzo beans.

It sounded interesting so I told the waitress I'd like to give it a try. When she brought it over and set it in front of me, she waited while I tasted it.

I took a bite and looked up, nodding with a strained smile and said, "GARBAGE (?) .. oh yeah."