RadioFreeLiberal.com

Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:39 pm 
Board Emeritus

So I received a "gift" from one of my supervising attorneys last week. I think perhaps the gift was more of a joke as the Bhut Jolokia or "ghost pepper" is not something you can just cook and eat, I don't think. As the hottest peppers in the world, I'm struggling to find a use.

However, I'd like to "rise to the occasion" and find a use for them...preferably something that I can give as a return gift (thereby impressing my boss).

There seems to be a lot of contradicting information online and so I haven't been able to identify a project. I'm willing to purchase whatever supplies I need.

The two ideas that keep popping up are salsas and infused oils. The infused oils might be nice but they seem to create a risk of botulism according to some sites...so that may be out. I don't have a food processor but it's something I've wanted for awhile so I'll buy one of those as well.

Does anyone have any experience with these bad boys or have any suggestions regarding their use?

From left to right- yellow bhut jolokia, chocolate bhut jolokia, trinidad scorpion, 7 pot, congo black habanero, "naga morich" (presumably bih jolokia). The chocolate bhut jolokia is the hottest, followed by trinidad scorpion. The habanero is actually the mildest.

I have 4 orange "7 pots" (considered the most flavorful) mostly fresh, but drying.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:07 pm 
Policy Wonk

My wife makes jalapeno jelly, it is great and fun to share

I really like it for peanut butter and jelly sandwiches

this site is pretty much what she does *less Ghost peppers I am sure

http://ruralwritings.blogspot.com/2007/ ... and-i.html

Here is the recipe for the jelly.

Easy Pepper Jelly

12 oz. Hot Peppers (I used a combination of Banana, Cayenne and Jalapeno)

2 cups Cider Vinegar (You can use plain vinegar)

6 cups Granulated Sugar

2 pouches liquid pectin.

In a blender or food processor, puree peppers and 1 cup of vinegar until smooth.

In a large, deep, pot combine pepper puree, remaining 1 cup vinegar and sugar. Bring to a boil over high heat and boil, stirring constantly for 10 minutes. (*use a very large pot, this stuff really foams up) Stir in pectin and boil hard stirring constantly for 1 minute once you have it back up to the boil. Remove from heat, skim off any remains foam.

Pour into hot jars leaving 1/4" headspace and seal.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:26 pm 
Board Emeritus

So I received a "gift" from one of my supervising attorneys last week. I think perhaps the gift was more of a joke as the Bhut Jolokia or "ghost pepper" is not something you can just cook and eat, I don't think. As the hottest peppers in the world, I'm struggling to find a use.

However, I'd like to "rise to the occasion" and find a use for them...preferably something that I can give as a return gift (thereby impressing my boss).

There seems to be a lot of contradicting information online and so I haven't been able to identify a project. I'm willing to purchase whatever supplies I need.

The two ideas that keep popping up are salsas and infused oils. The infused oils might be nice but they seem to create a risk of botulism according to some sites...so that may be out. I don't have a food processor but it's something I've wanted for awhile so I'll buy one of those as well.

Does anyone have any experience with these bad boys or have any suggestions regarding their use?

From left to right- yellow bhut jolokia, chocolate bhut jolokia, trinidad scorpion, 7 pot, congo black habanero, "naga morich" (presumably bih jolokia). The chocolate bhut jolokia is the hottest, followed by trinidad scorpion. The habanero is actually the mildest.

I have 4 orange "7 pots" (considered the most flavorful) mostly fresh, but drying.

Go with the salsa. You can explain later that you were told you could mix the peppers into a tasty salsa. If anyone complains then just tell them who gave you the peppers and then sit back and have a good laugh.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:30 pm 
Board Emeritus

Thanks both for the suggestions. I think I might do a jelly and a salsa.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:49 pm 
Policy Wonk

Grind up the pepper, then spread it on the handle to the men's room.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:32 am 
Policy Wonk

Thanks both for the suggestions. I think I might do a jelly and a salsa.

so ... any luck?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:21 pm 
Board Emeritus

so ... any luck?

I actually came to the decision that they would be more useful if I dried them out, as virtually every full recipe calls for dried peppers or even powder (which you can make with the dried peppers). They are getting close though and when they are dried I will start experimenting.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:02 pm 
Policy Wonk

Hmmmm....I should put that in the chili next time I participate in the work chili cookoff....

"Liberalism demonstrated at its very finest."