RadioFreeLiberal.com

Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:42 am 
Policy Wonk

I make pretty good meatballs. I mix my ground beef with Italian spices (specifically oregano and basil), Parmesan cheese, bread crumbs, eggs and a wee bit of half-and-half (so they're not too dry). Tonight, acting on a suggestion I received from my sister a couple of years ago, I'm going to stuff them with a blend of Italian cheeses.

Conceptually, it's quite simple. Just make the meatballs on the large side, and after forming them use your thumb to make a well inside and fill it with cheese, tamped down, about halfway up the well. Then close up the meatball and bake more or less as usual. I normally bake them for about 25 minutes at 350 on a shallow baking pan, but then again I normally make 1" meatballs (which I then cook in tomato sauce for another half hour). Tonight I am making them more like 2" in diameter, so I will be baking them in cupcake pans. Haven't decided how long yet...

I've been wanting to try this for years now. I enjoy cooking and only get to do it once a week, so it isn't like opportunities have abounded.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:20 pm 
Board Emeritus

I make pretty good meatballs. I mix my ground beef with Italian spices (specifically oregano and basil), Parmesan cheese, bread crumbs, eggs and a wee bit of half-and-half (so they're not too dry). Tonight, acting on a suggestion I received from my sister a couple of years ago, I'm going to stuff them with a blend of Italian cheeses.

Conceptually, it's quite simple. Just make the meatballs on the large side, and after forming them use your thumb to make a well inside and fill it with cheese, tamped down, about halfway up the well. Then close up the meatball and bake more or less as usual. I normally bake them for about 25 minutes at 350 on a shallow baking pan, but then again I normally make 1" meatballs (which I then cook in tomato sauce for another half hour). Tonight I am making them more like 2" in diameter, so I will be baking them in cupcake pans. Haven't decided how long yet...

I've been wanting to try this for years now. I enjoy cooking and only get to do it once a week, so it isn't like opportunities have abounded.

let us know how it worked my friend.

"No one is so foolish as to choose war over peace. In peace sons bury their fathers, in war fathers bury their sons." - Herodotus

The new motto of the USA: Unum de multis. Out of one, many.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:54 pm 
Policy Wonk

let us know how it worked my friend.

I'll tell ya: it didn't happen. I wrote this at 7:42 am. By 10:00 I was starting to really feel lousy; by noon I was genuinely sick, sicker than I've been in more that a decade. I'm still not entirely healthy, and now the wife is sick.

Maybe in a couple of weeks.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:00 pm 
Site Admin

The wrote:
I'll tell ya: it didn't happen. I wrote this at 7:42 am. By 10:00 I was starting to really feel lousy; by noon I was genuinely sick, sicker than I've been in more that a decade. I'm still not entirely healthy, and now the wife is sick.

Maybe in a couple of weeks.

Hope you feel better! I actually blend some parm/Romano into the spices. I tried your idea once (with mozz) and it was good but messy. The cheese found its way to the surface of the meatballs while cooking.

Cheers,

P

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:12 pm 
Policy Wonk

Hope you feel better! I actually blend some parm/Romano into the spices. I tried your idea once (with mozz) and it was good but messy. The cheese found its way to the surface of the meatballs while cooking.

Cheers,

P

Hmm. Thanks for the info. I'll have to try to find a way; maybe if the cheesy center is relatively small. Meanwhile the wife and I are still not completely recovered from this nasty, nasty flu which is going around, so I expect I'll make something relatively simple on Sunday for dinner... if we're up to it by then.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:38 am 
Political Junkie

Hmm. Thanks for the info. I'll have to try to find a way; maybe if the cheesy center is relatively small. Meanwhile the wife and I are still not completely recovered from this nasty, nasty flu which is going around, so I expect I'll make something relatively simple on Sunday for dinner... if we're up to it by then.

from what I'm hearing.. you and your wife are sick from the flu and not the meatballs.

I hope you bother recover and give them another try.. they sound great.