RadioFreeLiberal.com

Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:47 am 
Policy Wonk

The story goes that when my parents were young and hadn't been married all that long, my father was bragging to his Air Force buddies on how wonderful a cook my mother was, and they insisted he put up or shut up. He invited a half dozen or so of them to dinner. Presumably after giving my father a short lesson on the importance of advance notice for the cook when planning dinner parties, my mother examined her pantry and discovered she didn't have a whole lot of stuff to work with. She had a couple of cans of tomato sauce, a couple of cans of tomato soup, a can of mushrooms, some pork sausage and a big box of Creamette macaroni (and of course things like onions and spices). She threw these things together and hoped for the best. The result - a big hit with the Air Force buddies, by the way - has been in my family for more than half a century.

Basically, chop up a small onion and brown it with a pound of pork sausage. Add a few herbs, such as a pinch of oregano and some sage. Mix in a can of tomato soup, a medium sized can of tomato sauce and a small can of mushrooms. Maybe a bit of water, like half the soup can. Simmer this for as long as it takes to cook a pound of pasta; macaroni will serve, shells work better but tonight I'm using cellentani (kind of a corkscrew macaroni). Mix together, allow to sit covered for a few minutes and serve.

It's almost ridiculously simple and delicious. Under an hour, start to finish.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:42 pm 
Board Emeritus

Best thing ever posted here I am on it

"within weeks of being rid of the likes of you, rid of every fucking one of you,we would begin to see what kind of country this ought to be" Ike Bana 6/14/18

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:58 pm 
Board Emeritus

The story goes that when my parents were young and hadn't been married all that long, my father was bragging to his Air Force buddies on how wonderful a cook my mother was, and they insisted he put up or shut up. He invited a half dozen or so of them to dinner. Presumably after giving my father a short lesson on the importance of advance notice for the cook when planning dinner parties, my mother examined her pantry and discovered she didn't have a whole lot of stuff to work with. She had a couple of cans of tomato sauce, a couple of cans of tomato soup, a can of mushrooms, some pork sausage and a big box of Creamette macaroni (and of course things like onions and spices). She threw these things together and hoped for the best. The result - a big hit with the Air Force buddies, by the way - has been in my family for more than half a century.

Basically, chop up a small onion and brown it with a pound of pork sausage. Add a few herbs, such as a pinch of oregano and some sage. Mix in a can of tomato soup, a medium sized can of tomato sauce and a small can of mushrooms. Maybe a bit of water, like half the soup can. Simmer this for as long as it takes to cook a pound of pasta; macaroni will serve, shells work better but tonight I'm using cellentani (kind of a corkscrew macaroni). Mix together, allow to sit covered for a few minutes and serve.

On Lunar New Years, I make a dish quite similar. Ground pork and ground beef with some cooked rice. Make a meatball with a bit of hoisin sauce, and drape cooked noodles over them. Nice tradition. Tastes very good. It's called "Lion Heads Meatballs"

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:48 pm 
Board Emeritus

mrs. bird makes something similar. she uses ground beef with plain old ordinary kraft mac-n-cheese (don't gag), can of mushrooms, tomato sauce, extra cheese, onions, celery sometimes and into the casserole dish and then the microwave. very tasty. she will also use cream of mushroom soup instead of tomato sauce for a "stroganoff-type" version. and she also does the same with white mac-n-cheese, mushrooms, onions, cream of chicken soup, cheese and 2 cans of tuna.

all very tasty.

"No one is so foolish as to choose war over peace. In peace sons bury their fathers, in war fathers bury their sons." - Herodotus

The new motto of the USA: Unum de multis. Out of one, many.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:38 pm 
Policy Wonk

Cassaroles (we used to call it "hot dish") were a staple around our house when I was growing up. This was during WWII when a lot of things were scarce. The ones described above sound very similar the the ones my Mom made. A lot of them were tuna. The ground beef ones she usually used different soups for variety, always the flat egg noodles and there was always left overs for the following day. Yumm!

"A vote for ANY republican is a vote to destroy the middle class and our democracy".

Righties hate democracy because they can not honestly win national elections with their current message.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:44 am 
Board Emeritus

Cassaroles (we used to call it "hot dish") were a staple around our house when I was growing up. This was during WWII when a lot of things were scarce. The ones described above sound very similar the the ones my Mom made. A lot of them were tuna. The ground beef ones she usually used different soups for variety, always the flat egg noodles and there was always left overs for the following day. Yumm!

It always seemed to me that the left overs tasted best. And, yes, those flat egg noodles are great. Cook them and then fry them lightly in a bit of butter and garlic. Keep the temperature down so the butter does not burn and you have a great side dish.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:56 am 
Policy Wonk

It always seemed to me that the left overs tasted best. And, yes, those flat egg noodles are great. Cook them and then fry them lightly in a bit of butter and garlic. Keep the temperature down so the butter does not burn and you have a great side dish.

We've recently discovered a brand of spinach egg noodles.

Incredible!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:03 am 
Board Emeritus

We've recently discovered a brand of spinach egg noodles.

Incredible!

i didn't know spinach laid eggs! ;) :rw)

just messin' with ya.

seriously, they sound very good.

"No one is so foolish as to choose war over peace. In peace sons bury their fathers, in war fathers bury their sons." - Herodotus

The new motto of the USA: Unum de multis. Out of one, many.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:44 pm 
Political Junkie

Mmmmm! I am going to try that soon.
Right now, just "cooking" some frozen store-bought casserole. Just too pooped.
Pat