RadioFreeLiberal.com

Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:11 pm 
Policy Wonk

I decided I was tired of freezing my ass off on Thanksgiving frying turkeys outside.

Went and ordered one of these today. (I waited too long last year and by the time I thought to get one everyone was sold out).

I'll have to report back on how the turkey turns out.

"Liberalism demonstrated at its very finest."

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:56 pm 
Board Emeritus

Looks a hell of a lot safer than that outdoor rig with the pot up on a stand over an open flame. That thing invents the napalm bomb if anything goes wrong.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:00 pm 
Policy Wonk

deep fried turkey goodness mmmmmmm
with peanut oil, yes!!!!!!?
best thing to happen to turkey since cranberry sauce
looks like it would suck up a lot of counter space.
but definitely better than freezing outside

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:10 pm 
Board Emeritus

I don't know, frying, nor outside, and especially fire, aren't words anyone I've ever known would use to describe cooking a Thanksgiving day turkey.

I don't know why not, but I've never had turkey fried over a fire, or even heard anyone talking about frying one. Probably because where I'm from snow would be two feet deep.

I've always baked them in the oven. My mom's always used an electric roster somewhat like the one shown in the OP. And even though there are only two baked or roasted turkeys each year I'm getting tired of the same boring dry old traditional turkey every blasted year.

I live in California now, I have lots of nice oak fire wood, and it's warm enough, so I'm thinking why not.

So would you tell me more about frying one outside. Please tell me how it's done, hint's, sauce recipes etc. :D

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:35 pm 
Policy Wonk

Looks a hell of a lot safer than that outdoor rig with the pot up on a stand over an open flame. That thing invents the napalm bomb if anything goes wrong.

I've found, in some researches on the subject of "napalm" disasters, its seems the larger the confluence of napalm effect,
can be also directly related to the amount of mind altering substances consumed, prior to frying........

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:16 pm 
Policy Wonk

I would like to also offer adding smoking a turkey,.....also very yummy!!!!!,
but it requires outdoor activity and kinda defeats the indoorsyness of the topic
but............ did I mention its really yummy?
and since Sam here has a abundance of oak wood...........
could also try cooking over a fire with a spit........
why am I getting so hungry.........

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:01 pm 
Policy Wonk

deep fried turkey goodness mmmmmmm
with peanut oil, yes!!!!!!?
best thing to happen to turkey since cranberry sauce
looks like it would suck up a lot of counter space.
but definitely better than freezing outside

What we'll probably do is fry the turkey in the basement.

Another benefit to an indoor fryer is that it will really cut down on feline interference.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:46 pm 
Policy Wonk

What we'll probably do is fry the turkey in the basement.

Another benefit to an indoor fryer is that it will really cut down on feline interference.

I wouldn't of though that cats would be that picky about turkey ;) :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:50 pm 
Policy Wonk

I don't know, frying, nor outside, and especially fire, aren't words anyone I've ever known would use to describe cooking a Thanksgiving day turkey.

I don't know why not, but I've never had turkey fried over a fire, or even heard anyone talking about frying one. Probably because where I'm from snow would be two feet deep.

I've always baked them in the oven. My mom's always used an electric roster somewhat like the one shown in the OP. And even though there are only two baked or roasted turkeys each year I'm getting tired of the same boring dry old traditional turkey every blasted year.

I live in California now, I have lots of nice oak fire wood, and it's warm enough, so I'm thinking why not.

So would you tell me more about frying one outside. Please tell me how it's done, hint's, sauce recipes etc. :D

around here, a lot of people fry their birds, and all kinds of things

mighty tasty

cheap equipment and tons of recipes online

my brother bought an outdoor deep fryer years ago, and fell in love with it

chickens ... Cornish hens, and anything else he can think of gets fried in peanut oil

dang it ... Im getting hungry now too

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:06 pm 
Board Emeritus

It's deep fried, Sam, not fried over a fire. Here's how.

It's great. The white meat is always soooo juicy. But it's a hassle, and my wife and I have just used a bag in the oven for several years, and it's been pretty good, too.

Everyone should try a fried turkey at least once.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:08 pm 
Board Emeritus

I would like to also offer adding smoking a turkey,.....also very yummy!!!!!,
but it requires outdoor activity and kinda defeats the indoorsyness of the topic
but............ did I mention its really yummy?
and since Sam here has a abundance of oak wood...........
could also try cooking over a fire with a spit........
why am I getting so hungry.........

Smoking a turkey is pretty good, but I always have a hard time keepin'em lit. ;)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:13 pm 
Board Emeritus

around here, a lot of people fry their birds, and all kinds of things

mighty tasty

cheap equipment and tons of recipes online

my brother bought an outdoor deep fryer years ago, and fell in love with it

chickens ... Cornish hens, and anything else he can think of gets fried in peanut oil

dang it ... Im getting hungry now too

That sounds like a really good way to cook a Turkey, and thanks, I didn't know about it. :)

But I'm wondering a bit about it when you say "around here." I see into the background of your Avatar photo, and I place that spot to be about oh maybe 40, maybe 100, miles west of my hometown growing up place.

And now I'm left wondering, and I'm alway Left about everything I do, why my folks were so opposed to frying food in peanut oil, it sound really good. Why they didn't tell me about it. They must have been opposed to it, it really has to be good. I use a Wok a lot, with peanut oil. I know it's got to be good. ;)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:17 pm 
Site Admin

Frying turkeys originated around here in cajun country. They fry anything here! (quite literally!)

-P

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:44 pm 
Board Emeritus

It's deep fried, Sam, not fried over a fire. Here's how.

It's great. The white meat is always soooo juicy. But it's a hassle, and my wife and I have just used a bag in the oven for several years, and it's been pretty good, too.

Everyone should try a fried turkey at least once.

That's a very civilized method to cook a turkey, I'd even tackle doing that indoors. :)

If one does it with propane hoses and flames burners and assorted stuff outside, like they say to do it, and does it under a building overhang like they show it being done. One might as well do that inside without that propane tank someone could kick over, that propane flowing through those rubber hoses someone could trip over, and more than likely knock the entire mess over with that boiling hot flammable oil in that pot perched up on top.

I'd do that sort of cooking on the much safer to use stove, inside. Where I have a fire extinguisher ready.

Just mentioning safety. :)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:31 pm 
Board Emeritus

That's also why you use peanut oil - doesn't catch fire so easy.

Here's a tip. We cooked turkeys outside a lot in summer and fall, at camping events and such. It's not just for the holidays. Sometimes 10 turkeys at a time, maybe with a big-ass pot of gumbo. I'd take the meat off the bones as it came out of the cooker, and it was gone as fast as I could pull it off.

Nothing's better in the summer setting around a frying turkey, beer in hand, saying "look at that sucker cook!"

The problem with frying is that you don't have the leavings for gravy and such. That's why we did it at other times, with other foods. People love it.

And Plunderer is right. The Cajuns are the only ones crazy enough to think of deep-frying a turkey. My then-girlfriend's mom knew Paul Prudhomme, and got it from him. This was back in the EARLY 90's, and no one else in Kansas had ever heard of it.

First time it started becoming popular was one year in the 90's when the Super Bowl was held in New Orleans, and you know how the pre-game is five hours long? Well, they had a segment with PBS Cajun chef Justin Wilson (now passed) showing Terry Bradshaw how to deep-fry a turkey. It took off after that.

Now everyone's doing it. It was pretty cool back then when you could surprise someone with it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:09 pm 
Policy Wonk

That's also why you use peanut oil - doesn't catch fire so easy.

Here's a tip. We cooked turkeys outside a lot in summer and fall, at camping events and such. It's not just for the holidays. Sometimes 10 turkeys at a time, maybe with a big-ass pot of gumbo. I'd take the meat off the bones as it came out of the cooker, and it was gone as fast as I could pull it off.

Nothing's better in the summer setting around a frying turkey, beer in hand, saying "look at that sucker cook!"

The problem with frying is that you don't have the leavings for gravy and such. That's why we did it at other times, with other foods. People love it.

And Plunderer is right. The Cajuns are the only ones crazy enough to think of deep-frying a turkey. My then-girlfriend's mom knew Paul Prudhomme, and got it from him. This was back in the EARLY 90's, and no one else in Kansas had ever heard of it.

First time it started becoming popular was one year in the 90's when the Super Bowl was held in New Orleans, and you know how the pre-game is five hours long? Well, they had a segment with PBS Cajun chef Justin Wilson (now passed) showing Terry Bradshaw how to deep-fry a turkey. It took off after that.

Now everyone's doing it. It was pretty cool back then when you could surprise someone with it.

My mom told me that one year my uncle and his family who live in central Louisiana had Thanksgiving dinner on their back porch, and I think she mentioned too at some point that deep frying turkeys was a thing down there. This was before it took off up here.

When we fry turkeys at Thanksgiving we normally get two turkeys about 10 to 12 pounds each. One we cook the traditional way in an oven, and the other we fry. Best of both worlds there. I picked up the turkey for the fryer the other night - it weighed in at just under 11 pounds. Otherwise if we're not frying at all we try to get a 20 to 25 pound bird. That's more than enough to feed us, and enough leftover to last several days.

Being on the farm we have some farm cats around, and having an indoor fryer should cut down on feline interference. Previous years we'd have to watch pretty closely because they would get way too interested in the fryer. Plus sometimes we'd get winds that made keeping the fryer lit kind of difficult. Then there was the propane tank. One year we hooked everything up and then found the f@%#ing propane tank was empty. Had to go get another one from my uncle.

I asked my future brother in law if he or his dad would want our old fryer. If not maybe we'll keep it and use it in the summertime or fall for camping.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 3:18 pm 
Policy Wonk

The fried turkey turned out really good.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 6:42 pm 
Policy Wonk

went to friends today, instead of cooking home........
they had deep fried food of the gods !!!!!!!
was gone in 10 minutes, yummy!
they had also bought the brand new butterball deep fryer (up to 14 lbs.)
hoping I'll see one under the tree this year............