San Diego County Looking to Tax Cars By Mileage

News and events of the day
JoeMemphis

Re: San Diego County Looking to Tax Cars By Mileage

Post by JoeMemphis »

Number6 wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 5:17 pm I think part of the problem is most people consider themselves in the middle class and taking public transportation is something the middle class doesn't do. This is primarily for those not living in a city where it's more normal to ride the bus or subway. I believe most people wouldn't want to spend 45 minutes commuting on public transportation when they can drive the same distance in 30 minutes even though it costs more. I have a friend who works for the Navy and lives 20 miles away and he takes public transportation because the Navy pays for bus and rail passes. Driving to work would take him about 25 minutes but by public transportation it takes him 45 minutes.

I sure there are a lot of people like me who don't want to be dependent up public transportation because you're tied to the bus/rail schedule and they're rarely on-time. I'll take the bus to downtown San Diego when I'm going to be there for a couple of hours. It's more convenient and less costly than paying for parking. I could take the bus and rail to the malls in Mission Valley but it would take me about 30 - 40 minutes whereas I can make it there in 15 minutes.
I do public transportation in large cities, NYC, Chicago, San Francisco, sometimes in Houston. Most of the rest of the time I drive. For vacation, I’ll drive the 20 hour trip rather than fly. I like road trips and like having my own vehicle rather than a rental. I generally only fly for business.
Number6

Post by Number6 »

JoeMemphis wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 7:51 pm I do public transportation in large cities, NYC, Chicago, San Francisco, sometimes in Houston. Most of the rest of the time I drive. For vacation, I’ll drive the 20 hour trip rather than fly. I like road trips and like having my own vehicle rather than a rental. I generally only fly for business.
If the city is nearby (within driving distance) I'll go by car otherwise I'll fly. I'm doing two trips to Las Vegas next year for two bowling tournaments and I'll be driving. Along with a suitcase, I'll be toting four balls, a four-ball carrier, and ball cleaning supplies all weight about 70 pounds. I don't want to fly and have to pay for all that additional weight. If the trips were back East then I'd fly and use a taxi.

Depending upon the city, I tend not to rent a car unless necessary. While in the AF in Sacramento, I spent a month in San Antonio to help write our career field promotion test. Fortunately, I had a rental car paid for by the AF for my use which helped out immensely. San Antonio is a large city (area-wise) so it made it convenient.
When you vote left, you vote right.
JoeMemphis

Post by JoeMemphis »

Number6 wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 9:12 pm If the city is nearby (within driving distance) I'll go by car otherwise I'll fly. I'm doing two trips to Las Vegas next year for two bowling tournaments and I'll be driving. Along with a suitcase, I'll be toting four balls, a four-ball carrier, and ball cleaning supplies all weight about 70 pounds. I don't want to fly and have to pay for all that additional weight. If the trips were back East then I'd fly and use a taxi.

Depending upon the city, I tend not to rent a car unless necessary. While in the AF in Sacramento, I spent a month in San Antonio to help write our career field promotion test. Fortunately, I had a rental car paid for by the AF for my use which helped out immensely. San Antonio is a large city (area-wise) so it made it convenient.
If I’m traveling for business, many times I don’t rent a car. I will take taxis or Uber. I have found that for meetings and conventions often, it’s easy to find rides pretty much wherever you go. Not renting a car is one less thing to worry about and cheaper for the business.
bradman

Post by bradman »

JoeMemphis wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 2:23 pm Satellite Radio revolutionized commuting. I can tolerate quite a bit if I can listen to classic rock.
i hear tell air conditioning did the same thing. i did once own a vehicle that had power windows.

i think maybe it's having a class A and driving tractor trailer my whole life. I gave up the class A upon retirement and thought maybe i'd miss it. Turns out i don't miss it one bit. i dunno...to many inept drivers on the road nowadays makes any kind of commuting a pain in the ass for me. i just can't relax.
I am not a member of any organized political party. I am a Democrat. [Will Rogers]
gounion

Post by gounion »

JoeMemphis wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 2:23 pm Satellite Radio revolutionized commuting. I can tolerate quite a bit if I can listen to classic rock.
Not wanting to make a big fight out of this, but no, not really.

Not like, as Bradman pointed out, air conditioning DID revolutionize our nation in so many way. Not so much Satellite Radio.

I traveled before and during the Satellite radio era. Before it, I had a case of CD's. Before that, I had cassette tapes. I then switched to the ipod. I now listen to Audible.

You could say that the ability to have personal entertainment in the care changed things. I'm sure having movies available for kids made traveling with children much easier. But then so did Game Boys and the descendants.

You can certainly say that Satellite radio revolutionized commuting for YOU. For me, it was Audible.

But I doubt that many people subscribe to Satellite Radio. You have it in a new car for six months, and then you don't pay, and it goes away. You listen to things on your phone after that.
Bludogdem

Post by Bludogdem »

I use Pandora. My son suggested I listen to different more specific categories like classic rock, Steely Dan station, and other specific acts you like. Be sure to reject what you don’t like. Then listen to Indie Pop and Indie Rock but be more rigid on rejecting songs you don’t like. Do this for a few days. Then switch to your personal Thumbprint Radio Channel pandora builds for your. Connect to your car audio and enjoy. I found a whole lot of new music I like from this process.
JoeMemphis

Post by JoeMemphis »

Bludogdem wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 12:58 pm I use Pandora. My son suggested I listen to different more specific categories like classic rock, Steely Dan station, and other specific acts you like. Be sure to reject what you don’t like. Then listen to Indie Pop and Indie Rock but be more rigid on rejecting songs you don’t like. Do this for a few days. Then switch to your personal Thumbprint Radio Channel pandora builds for your. Connect to your car audio and enjoy. I found a whole lot of new music I like from this process.
Thanks. I will give that a try.
Number6

Post by Number6 »

bradman wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 8:54 am i hear tell air conditioning did the same thing. i did once own a vehicle that had power windows.
I remember traveling cross-country with my parents and siblings back in the late 50s and in the 60s. We had 4/60 air conditioning. That is, we rolled-down four windows while traveling 60 mph. We had to hand-crank up-and-down. Today, every car comes with air conditioning and power windows and most have power steering, power seats, and eated seats.

i think maybe it's having a class A and driving tractor trailer my whole life. I gave up the class A upon retirement and thought maybe i'd miss it. Turns out i don't miss it one bit. i dunno...to many inept drivers on the road nowadays makes any kind of commuting a pain in the ass for me. i just can't relax.
I've driven a 1.5 ton stake bed truck and even a field ambulance (like in MASH) to another state and they were bare bone when it came to amenities. No air conditioning, no power windows and no satellite or AM/FM radio. Not a pleasant experience. I like the air conditioning, power windows, and satellite radio. As for inept drivers, I have to agree. Too many people are focused only on their getting from point A to point B and damn everyone in-between. I learned to drive using the defensive driving techniques and I still do. I'm wary of anyone on the road and try to have a safe exit in case someone does something stupid. I've seen too many stupid do too many stupid things while driving.
gounion

Post by gounion »

Bludogdem wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 12:58 pm I use Pandora. My son suggested I listen to different more specific categories like classic rock, Steely Dan station, and other specific acts you like. Be sure to reject what you don’t like. Then listen to Indie Pop and Indie Rock but be more rigid on rejecting songs you don’t like. Do this for a few days. Then switch to your personal Thumbprint Radio Channel pandora builds for your. Connect to your car audio and enjoy. I found a whole lot of new music I like from this process.
There's about a bazillion ways to entertain yourself these days. My first was an eight-track tape player. I had lots of "greatest hits" tapes. Neil Diamond. Fleetwood Mac. Alice Cooper. Helen Reddy. Three Dog Night. Moody Blues. Elton John.

My wife's van has screens on the back of the seats for kids. We've never used them.
Number6

Post by Number6 »

gounion wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 1:20 pm There's about a bazillion ways to entertain yourself these days. My first was an eight-track tape player. I had lots of "greatest hits" tapes. Neil Diamond. Fleetwood Mac. Alice Cooper. Helen Reddy. Three Dog Night. Moody Blues. Elton John.

My wife's van has screens on the back of the seats for kids. We've never used them.
Back in the 60s, 8-track players were the technology fade of the time. I never had an 8-track player in my car but my parent's second car, that us teenagers drove, had one my brother put in. All the cars I bought up until 2007 had cassette players and/or CD players. I used to have an 8-track player/recorder and a lot of tapes. I gave that to an older friend of my sister's who still listened to his 8-track tapes about 15 years ago. The two problems I had with 8-track tapes was they'd change to another track in the middle of a song and continue with it. The other was when the tape got caught on a roller and you had to gentle pull it out and get the tape back in the cassette by pulling on one end and allowing the spring to help wind it in.
Toonces

Post by Toonces »

I had XM Radio before it became Sirius XM, and then a while after. I gave it up as I found it too repetitive. I now have an Android radio in my vehicle with a few gigs of music. Or, if I so choose, Youtube Music Premium if I hotspot my phone. If it's the morning, I sometimes listen to Stephanie Miller.

However, I don't commute so it's not a big deal for me.
JoeMemphis

Post by JoeMemphis »

Toonces wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 11:13 pm I had XM Radio before it became Sirius XM, and then a while after. I gave it up as I found it too repetitive. I now have an Android radio in my vehicle with a few gigs of music. Or, if I so choose, Youtube Music Premium if I hotspot my phone. If it's the morning, I sometimes listen to Stephanie Miller.

I have done mostly Sirius XM. I also have several gigs of music on my phone. I also do Apple Music. When we travel long distances, we open my the song list on my phone and hit shuffle. You never know what you’ll get. One song may be George Jones and the next song my be something by Prince.
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

We should do a music thread where we could list all the songs that will be banned if fascist traitor trump or one of his idiots takes the WH again.

Any song that included any criticism of him or his family or his closest GOP friends would be banned.
I sigh in your general direction.
Number6

Post by Number6 »

JoeMemphis wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 8:15 am I have done mostly Sirius XM. I also have several gigs of music on my phone. I also do Apple Music. When we travel long distances, we open my the song list on my phone and hit shuffle. You never know what you’ll get. One song may be George Jones and the next song my be something by Prince.
I don't do much long-distance driving but I have SiriusXM radio in my car. Local radio stations don't have the music I like listening to or the political talk show I like. For music, I listen to the 50s, 60s, 70s, and some 80s, plus The Beatles channel.

I do like the fact you can listen to SiriusXM on you phone/table or computer at no extra charge. It's great for when I'm taking long walks or I'm working on the computer. Sometimes, I'll play SiriusXM on my iPad and have it connected, by bluetooth, to my TV sound bar that way if I come across a video on my computer I can mute the sound bar and watch/listen to the video on the computer.
bradman

Post by bradman »

Number6 wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 1:10 pm I remember traveling cross-country with my parents and siblings back in the late 50s and in the 60s. We had 4/60 air conditioning. That is, we rolled-down four windows while traveling 60 mph. We had to hand-crank up-and-down. Today, every car comes with air conditioning and power windows and most have power steering, power seats, and eated seats.

I've driven a 1.5 ton stake bed truck and even a field ambulance (like in MASH) to another state and they were bare bone when it came to amenities. No air conditioning, no power windows and no satellite or AM/FM radio. Not a pleasant experience. I like the air conditioning, power windows, and satellite radio. As for inept drivers, I have to agree. Too many people are focused only on their getting from point A to point B and damn everyone in-between. I learned to drive using the defensive driving techniques and I still do. I'm wary of anyone on the road and try to have a safe exit in case someone does something stupid. I've seen too many stupid do too many stupid things while driving.
:lol:

It was a 90 degree day, with the humidity pegging about the same, that i pulled up and stopped at a signal light this summer. Up pulls a fancy new chevy pickup along side of me. I hear a whrrrrr...and notice he's lowering his passenger window. i look over and there's my brother in law with his hand over his air conditioning vent. He has a silly ass smirk on his face and says i bet you wish you had air conditioning now. i held up my index finger, wait a minute, turned and opened the rear slider window. i then turned back, gave him the finger, told him the air was on high now, and then rolled up my window. :)

For travel, it's my wife's vehicle that has all the bells and whistles. i get it. For me, i've just never had the need, or desire, for bells and whistles. An old push button am/fm radio works just fine for me. :)

i can't count the times defensive driving saved my butt. Unfortunately, most are on the offensive nowadays. Angry to boot. i've always thought the bells and whistles have something to do with it. You leave the privacy and comfort creatures of your home only to hop into a vehicle that now offers some what the same amenities and privacy. A vehicle becomes an extension of their homes and some rage accordingly when someone cuts across their lawn.
I am not a member of any organized political party. I am a Democrat. [Will Rogers]
Drak

Post by Drak »

Is that the son with the degree in economics?
"Some of those that work forces,
Are the same that burn crosses"

- Rage Against the Machine
marindem01

Post by marindem01 »

Gail and I have Pandora. Really good Jazz, Big Band, Rock and Folk music.
Love of Country is not Blind Patriotism. It is not devotion to one person or one party. It is knowing fighting for your country is single most important thing you can do. Do not accept the notion violence is the answer.
Number6

Post by Number6 »

Toonces wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 11:13 pm I had XM Radio before it became Sirius XM, and then a while after. I gave it up as I found it too repetitive. I now have an Android radio in my vehicle with a few gigs of music. Or, if I so choose, Youtube Music Premium if I hotspot my phone. If it's the morning, I sometimes listen to Stephanie Miller.

I have an Android phone and have almost all my CDs and LPs on it. I probably have over 6,000 songs, many duplicates, on it so without SiriusXM or any other source of music I can still listen to any album or shuffle the songs. It's amazing, Thirty years ago other than toting a CD or cassette player around was the only way for us to listen to our music when we were away form home and now we can listen to it on our phones, MP3 players, or with a satellite radio.
Number6

Post by Number6 »

bradman wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:25 am :lol:

It was a 90 degree day, with the humidity pegging about the same, that i pulled up and stopped at a signal light this summer. Up pulls a fancy new chevy pickup along side of me. I hear a whrrrrr...and notice he's lowering his passenger window. i look over and there's my brother in law with his hand over his air conditioning vent. He has a silly ass smirk on his face and says i bet you wish you had air conditioning now. i held up my index finger, wait a minute, turned and opened the rear slider window. i then turned back, gave him the finger, told him the air was on high now, and then rolled up my window. :)

For travel, it's my wife's vehicle that has all the bells and whistles. i get it. For me, i've just never had the need, or desire, for bells and whistles. An old push button am/fm radio works just fine for me. :)

i can't count the times defensive driving saved my butt. Unfortunately, most are on the offensive nowadays. Angry to boot. i've always thought the bells and whistles have something to do with it. You leave the privacy and comfort creatures of your home only to hop into a vehicle that now offers some what the same amenities and privacy. A vehicle becomes an extension of their homes and some rage accordingly when someone cuts across their lawn.
Most cars today come with most of the bells and whistles. The last car I bought had most of them except GPS which I can get on my phone. I'd rather have most of the bells and whistles than wishing I had them.