Tennessee County bans prize-wining "Maus"

News and events of the day
carmenjonze

Re: Tennessee County bans prize-wining "Maus"

Post by carmenjonze »

Conservatives like you are the people doing these “actions.”

In the next election, you’ll vote for politicians that implement these “actions.” FOH.

The way to right wrongs is to
Shine the light of truth on them.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by JoeMemphis »

bradman wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 3:01 pm Burned is going a bit far don'tcha think? We're not there quite yet.

Human nature. Tell a body they can't have something and they want it even more.
Lots of stuff in this thread is going a bit to far Brad. I’ve been told that I cheered banning, censoring and yes burning books. Personally I think that’s a bit too far. What do you think?
gounion

Post by gounion »

JoeMemphis wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 5:18 pm Lots of stuff in this thread is going a bit to far Brad. I’ve been told that I cheered banning, censoring and yes burning books. Personally I think that’s a bit too far. What do you think?
And you’ve called others authoritarian, but of course, you NEVER go to far, do you?

Is banning 185 books going to far? Yes or no.

Oh right you never answer questions you run away.
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

bradman wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 3:01 pm Human nature. Tell a body they can't have something and they want it even more.
This is a dangerous approach to government censorship, book banning. and book burning. It’s the same as JoeMemphis’s anti-intellect “they can just download it from the internet” approach.
Last edited by carmenjonze on Thu Feb 03, 2022 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by carmenjonze »

JoeMemphis wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 5:18 pm Lots of stuff in this thread is going a bit to far Brad.
Such as…
I’ve been told that I cheered banning, censoring and yes burning books. Personally I think that’s a bit too far. What do you think?
Your attitudes towards government censorship and other types of conservative authoritarianism are how governments get away with it to begin with.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by ProfX »

This is your shibboleth, Joe, it's what you imagine the public health community was trying to do. No one ever argued the entirety of the American public had to do the same thing. Speaking of data, with better testing, mitigation measures could have been focused on the areas with the worst outbreaks, and that's what everybody I know was advocating.

It's not knowing where to focus targeted efforts that makes them too broad, but the last administration kept hindering doing better testing.

BTW, your cited study, as is the case in science, is starting to get some reactions. Most are not favorable. It hasn't yet been peer reviewed, but it looks like some are starting to review it.

https://www.sciencemediacentre.org/expe ... s-website/

Prof. Ferguson and Flaxman's analyses point to some serious flaws.
"Don't believe every quote attributed to people on the Internet" -- Abraham Lincoln :D
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

Glennfs wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 12:13 pmBecause liberal elites know so much better than th those of us in the unwashed masses
"Liberal elites" aren't passing this legislation.

Deep pocket, Republican conservative racists and misoginsts are, on behalf of run-of-the-mill, anti-CRT, duped conservative Republican footsoldiers.

This was passed on Nov. 11 2021. Congratulations.

HB 1508 - ND Legislature
BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATIVE ASSEMBLY OF NORTH DAKOTA:

SECTION 1. A new section to chapter 15.1-21 of the North Dakota Century Code is created
and enacted as follows:

Curriculum - Critical race theory - Prohibited.

Each school district and public school shall ensure instruction of its curriculum is factual,
objective, and aligned to the kindergarten through grade twelve state content standards. A
school district or public school may not include instruction relating to critical race theory in any
portion of the district's required curriculum under sections 15.1-21-01 or 15.1-21-02, or any
other curriculum offered by the district or school. For purposes of this section, "critical race
theory" means the theory that racism is not merely the product of learned individual bias or
prejudice, but that racism is systemically embedded in American society and the American legal
system to facilitate racial inequality. The superintendent of public instruction may adopt rules to
govern this section
Emphasis in original. But reread that first sentence, which was imposed top-down by the state government:
Each school district and public school shall ensure instruction of its curriculum is factual,
objective, and aligned to the kindergarten through grade twelve state content standards.
So much for "local citizens," or the ND legislature implementing "the will of the people."

Unless, of course, you're coming from a white-supremacist framework that says only white local citizens are the "local citizens" and only conservative white people are "people." It would make sense. It's how you guys did things in the segregation era.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by Libertas »

carmenjonze wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 5:11 pm Conservatives like you are the people doing these “actions.”

In the next election, you’ll vote for politicians that implement these “actions.” FOH.
In November when cons lose in red states these cons here will support them when they say they simply wont certify those elections because there must be voter fraud.

Each con here including those pretending to be otherwise will defend it, which is why we cant prevent the complete destruction of this country if these punks, these pricks insist on being punks and pricks.
I sigh in your general direction.
marindem01

Post by marindem01 »

Glennfs wrote: ↑Thu Feb 03, 2022 11:13 am

Because liberal elites know so much better than th those of us in the unwashed masses.

Who exactly are these so-called "Liberal Elites" that Faux Snooze has told you about Glenn. Do not use vague references, provide names.

"Unwashed Masses" - Racism Glenn, very ugly racism.

You have no proof of anything do you Glenn, just over used and worn Faux Snooze talking points, no real proof. Meanwhile we know that the Traitor was knee deep in the Insurrection. We know that the Traitor ordered Ghouli to have DHS Seize Voting Machines. But you keep pressing you useless talking points, you ain't got shit and you know you aint' got shit.
Last edited by marindem01 on Thu Feb 03, 2022 8:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Love of Country is not Blind Patriotism. It is not devotion to one person or one party. It is knowing fighting for your country is single most important thing you can do. Do not accept the notion violence is the answer.
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

Glennfs wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 12:15 pmBig government is elected officials not responding to the will of their constituents.
"The will of their constitutents?" You sure about that? Earlier today you were on about "the will of the people."

Do you feel planning to pull voting machines in cities and invoke the NSA, planning to use fake electors, strongarming Mike Pence and the Secretary of State of Georgia, and instigating a violent insurrection counts as "big government"?

Or, do you feel that because a Republican did it, it cannot possibly be "big government".

How about pulling books from libraries that you haven't even read. Is that "big government"?

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by Bludogdem »

gounion wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:20 pm

Not for children, but it should be in high school libraries for
So, since the School Board’s only action was to remove the book from the 8th grade curriculum, you should be fine with that action. Problem solved.
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

Bludogdem wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 8:02 pm So, since the School Board’s only action was to remove the book from the 8th grade curriculum, you should be fine with that action. Problem solved.
The book doesn't need to be removed from the 8th grade curriculum to satisfy a bunch of conservative prudes.

You haven't even read it, so you have no business advocating for "these actions."

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by Bludogdem »

ProfX wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 11:02 am I'm still awaiting evidence they did this at the behest of the "local community".

And by that, I mean, other than they talked to 3 Moms for Liberty who said they wanted the book removed.

Was there really a popular outcry in the "community" against this book? Any evidence of that?

It sure didn't seem like students complaining about this, many honor students said they were really shocked by the decision.
I’m guessing undercurrents in the community that came to the board’s attention.

Or, simply the board took it upon themselves. The board doesn’t need a complaint in order to act. They are members of the school community.
marindem01

Post by marindem01 »

carmenjonze wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 7:57 pm "The will of their constitutents?" You sure about that? Earlier today you were on about "the will of the people."

Do you feel planning to pull voting machines in cities and invoke the NSA, planning to use fake electors, strongarming Mike Pence and the Secretary of State of Georgia, and instigating a violent insurrection counts as "big government"?

Or, do you feel that because a Republican did it, it cannot possibly be "big government".

How about pulling books from libraries that you haven't even read. Is that "big government"?
Glenn can get easily confused.
Love of Country is not Blind Patriotism. It is not devotion to one person or one party. It is knowing fighting for your country is single most important thing you can do. Do not accept the notion violence is the answer.
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

Bludogdem wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 8:05 pm I’m guessing undercurrents in the community that came to the board’s attention.

Or, simply the board took it upon themselves. The board doesn’t need a complaint in order to act. They are members of the school community.
"The school community" is not limited to 10 people with conservative hangups acting via fiat.

Only an authoritarian would believe this is "democracy" and "representative democracy."

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by Toonces »

marindem01 wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 7:54 pm Glennfs wrote: ↑Thu Feb 03, 2022 11:13 am

Because liberal elites know so much better than th those of us in the unwashed masses.

Who exactly are these so-called "Liberal Elites" that Faux Snooze has told you about Glenn. Do not use vague references, provide names.

"Unwashed Masses" - Racism Glenn, very ugly racism.

You have no proof of anything do you Glenn, just over used and worn Faux Snooze talking points, no real proof. Meanwhile we know that the Traitor was knee deep in the Insurrection. We know that the Traitor ordered Ghouli to have DHS Seize Voting Machines. But you keep pressing you useless talking points, you ain't got shit and you know you aint' got shit.
I imagine "liberal elites" would be those who are well educated. You don't want the well-educated deciding on what educating should be done. You want the sarcastic unwashed masses to decide on education.

That, of course, was sarcasm. You probably don't want the non-sarcastic unwashed masses choosing what should be taught in schools. By all means, listen to their concerns. Of course, the end-run around the 'educated liberals' from making educational choices is to allow parents to sue teachers for, well, anything.

The upcoming sport of trying to trip teachers up when they teach something you don't agree with should be chilling to everyone. Believe it or not, liberal teachers aren't all hell-bent on teaching children that they're all bad because of slavery or teaching them how to be trans. Yet, now teachers can be punished if they make little Johnny feel a tinge of angst. And little Johnny WILL fill the angst because he has been brought up in a household that probably felt that slavery wasn't all that bad. Hey, they had a place to live and they got food.

That which happens in the USA travels to Canada, though I'm thankful we never accepted biscuits and gravy. So, for me, there is genuine concern about what is happening in your fair nation (definitely the biscuits and gravy) as it does influence what happens here. The dumbing of the population is a concern. It should concern everyone.
rainwater

Post by rainwater »

Toonces wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 10:21 pm I imagine "liberal elites" would be those who are well educated. You don't want the well-educated deciding on what educating should be done. You want the sarcastic unwashed masses to decide on education.

That, of course, was sarcasm. You probably don't want the non-sarcastic unwashed masses choosing what should be taught in schools. By all means, listen to their concerns. Of course, the end-run around the 'educated liberals' from making educational choices is to allow parents to sue teachers for, well, anything.

The upcoming sport of trying to trip teachers up when they teach something you don't agree with should be chilling to everyone. Believe it or not, liberal teachers aren't all hell-bent on teaching children that they're all bad because of slavery or teaching them how to be trans. Yet, now teachers can be punished if they make little Johnny feel a tinge of angst. And little Johnny WILL fill the angst because he has been brought up in a household that probably felt that slavery wasn't all that bad. Hey, they had a place to live and they got food.

That which happens in the USA travels to Canada, though I'm thankful we never accepted biscuits and gravy. So, for me, there is genuine concern about what is happening in your fair nation (definitely the biscuits and gravy) as it does influence what happens here. The dumbing of the population is a concern. It should concern everyone.
ive no concern for this topic however when i saw your post i looked, since ive got Cnd friends and follow their interests.

lately here it seems appears and often is a place where we dont want choice or concern or practicality despite the bleating
over 'freedoms' and the rest of the crap bleated on RWG media whilst the same rw media hourly hangs "human" or "rights' over the fire.

this...is one of the blatant diffs tween "social democracy" over..."capitalist type democracy".
most social democracies have a concern for pop size AND how to manage the size relative to the govmnt whilst
merican demockery is just simply capitalistic money grubers wanting more walm shoppers even wearing diapers.

not saying Can deserves sainthood. it has its issues too.
Who are these..flag-sucking halfwits fleeced fooled by stupid little rich kids They speak for all that is cruel stupid They are racists hate mongers I piss down the throats of these Nazis Im too old to worry whether they like it. Fuck them.
HST.
gounion

Post by gounion »

Well, JoeMemphis, now they are LITERALLY burning books in Tennessee. Of course you won't object:
Last week, McMinn County made news when the school board voted to ban beloved graphic novel Maus — a Holocaust story told with anthropomorphic mice and cats — due to instances of swear words and nudity. While the vote happened in early January, it went viral following a report from TN Holler.

Last night, Mt. Juliet pastor and pro-Trump conspiracy theorist Greg Locke decided to turn it up a notch by organizing an old-fashioned book burning. The books included millennial staples like Harry Potter and Twilight — hits of the early Aughts that were targeted by Christian book burnings back in the day.

In a sermon preceding the bonfire, Locke described beefing with "Free Mason devils" and said "I ain't gonna be 'suiciding myself' no time soon." Locke also said people aren't mad that they were burning books, but mad because of the books they were burning — implying that his critics, even other pastors, were devil and witchcraft supporters.
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

Today in Foul-mouthed Malthusianism:
rainwater wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 12:00 ammost social democracies have a concern for pop size AND how to manage the size relative to the govmnt
That's one euphemism for eugenics, sure. :?

Scandinavia, with the most famous "social democracies" of all, had really nasty eugenics policies that rivaled our own, and that of the Third Reich. (This thread IS about the Third Reich, you know.) So "social democracy" wasn't all it's cracked up to be.

Scandinavian Eugenics - Eugenics Archive

You:
whilst
merican demockery is just simply capitalistic money grubers wanting more walm shoppers even wearing diapers.
Interesting, isn't it, how Glennfs and the other commiebaiters never put that label on the one person around here who talks like this about capitalism in every other post: you.
not saying Can deserves sainthood. it has its issues too.
I'll say.

Hm, well, for someone who's so fond of whattabboutting Native American genocide whenever the topic is this country's treatment of African Americans, we can sure hear a pin drop from you every time others post about Canadian First Nations genocide.

Just last week: 93 Potential Graves Found At Canadian School Site - viewtopic.php?p=13806#p13806

June: Canada: 751 unmarked graves found at residential school - BBC

Also June: Manitoba first nation works to identify 104 potential graves at former Brandon residential school - Global News

Also June: 182 unmarked graves discovered near residential school in B.C.'s Interior, First Nation says - CBC

May: Remains of 215 children found buried at former B.C. residential school, First Nation says - CBC

These are just sites at residential schools, just found in the past year, and committed not even a century ago.

But hey, mass and unmarked graves at forced assimilation schools are one way to "manage" pop size, I guess. :? :problem:

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by carmenjonze »

gounion wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 7:34 am Well, JoeMemphis, now they are LITERALLY burning books in Tennessee. Of course you won't object:
Greg Locke is also one of this country's most vicious and obnoxious anti-LGBTQ pastors and antivaxx activists. He is an Independent Fundamental Baptist, which is even worse than the slavery church JoeMemphis belongs to.

Tapdancing Trump surrogate Pastor Mark Burns thinks the country needs more of this trash. This watercarrier for Christian fascism is running for Congress in ya' buddy's state.

MAGA House Candidate Urges Pastor Greg Locke to Run for Office: 'Demon-Killing Machine' - Newsweek
An early supporter of former President Donald Trump who's running for Congress urged right-wing Pastor Greg Locke to run for office "because we need demon-killing machines" as politicians.

Pastor Mark Burns' comments came during an impassioned speech he gave to a congregation at Locke's church on Sunday, nearly one month after the controversial pastor was permanently banned from Twitter. Locke previously said only "crack-smoking, demon-possessed leftists" believe Biden won the presidential election during a sermon and spread other misinformation on the social media site.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by gounion »

New rules are limiting how teachers can teach Black History Month:
Between the lines: Broadly written laws and proposals allow state officials to punish schools and educators for discussing racism and the history of people of color, critics say.

Those limits would allow teachers to mention that Brooklyn Dodgers infielder Jackie Robinson broke Major League Baseball's color line but not allow them to discuss why Black players were banned before him, Sharif El-Mekki, founder and CEO of the Center for Black Educator Development, said.

Teachers may also introduce Malcolm X but not read his speeches, mention soul singer Marvin Gaye but not discuss his "What's Going On" lyrics, or point out Rosewood, Florida, or Tulsa, Oklahoma, on maps but not talk about the racial atrocities that occurred there.

In many cases, the toughest crackdowns could prevent students from learning about history that happened in their own backyards.

South Dakota Gov. Kristi Noem recently introduced a bill to prohibit colleges and schools from teaching certain lessons on racial atrocities. The state is the site of the 1890 Wounded Knee Massacre of Lakota people by the U.S. Army.

State legislators in Alabama, where John Lewis was beaten by police during a 1965 voting rights march, are expected soon to take up a bill that would prevent colleges from teaching critical race theory.

Lawmakers in Mississippi and Florida are considering bills that would ban history lessons that make students feel uncomfortable about their race.
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

Limited, smaller, lighter conservative government.
South Dakota Gov. Kristi Noem recently introduced a bill to prohibit colleges and schools from teaching certain lessons on racial atrocities. The state is the site of the 1890 Wounded Knee Massacre of Lakota people by the U.S. Army.
Noem signs law banning transgender athletes from female sports teams - The Hill

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by carmenjonze »

It can't be stressed enough that these countrywide antivaxx, anti-trans/anti-LGBTQ, and anti-CRT measures are deeply intertwined. It's the same confederates doing all of them.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by gounion »

Excellent Op/Ed today in the WaPo by Jamelle Bouie, about a book by W.E.B. Du Bois: The Backlash Against C.R.T. Shows That Republicans are Losing Ground:
Du Bois, by his own account, is “astonished” by the idea that the evil of history must be “forgotten, distorted, skimmed over.”

“We must forget,” he writes, “that George Washington was a slave owner, or that Thomas Jefferson had mulatto children … and simply remember the things we regard as creditable and inspiring.” The difficulty with this approach, he continues, “is that history loses its value and incentive and example; it paints perfect men and noble nations, but it does not tell the truth.”

Du Bois, who studied at the University of Berlin with some of the most acclaimed scholars of his day and who was the first Black American to receive a doctorate from Harvard, believed that history should aspire to be something like a science. And if that was to be the case, “if the record of human action is going to be set down with that accuracy and faithfulness of detail which will allow its use as a measuring rod and guidepost for the future of nations,” then in his view, “there must be set some standards of ethics in research and interpretation.”

Du Bois’s view was that, when it came to Reconstruction and the “American Negro,” American historians had fallen far short of that ideal. Instead, they produced — for the consumption of both students and the general public — a history that cast Reconstruction as a “disgraceful attempt to subject white people to ignorant Negro rule.” Rather than treat history as “a science or as an art using the results of science,” they had used it as a tool of “pleasure and amusement, for inflating our national ego, and giving us a false but pleasurable sense of accomplishment.” This history, wrote Du Bois, existed only to “influence and educate the new generation along the way we wish,” where “we” meant the existing power structure.

It is not hard to see how this critique applies to present circumstances. Spurred by a wave of youth protest that revealed (and then underscored) the extent to which the conservative movement had failed to inculcate, in the next generation, its view of what America is, this effort to gag any discussion of the United States that doesn’t affirm a triumphant narrative of national innocence is a clear and obvious attempt to make up for lost time.

I am not so Whiggish in my thinking as to believe that this effort to censor American history for students is doomed to failure. But I do think that the urgency with which it has been fought is a sign of something important. The ferocity of the drive to keep serious discussions of race and racism out of America’s classrooms is an admission, however tacit, that something has changed, and conservatives are on the losing end of that transformation. Where once they were an establishment — such that Du Bois was a voice in the wilderness — now they are on the defensive.

Put simply, the people and institutions behind the bans on “critical race theory” are fighting a rear-guard action, and they know it.
And let's remember that our conservatives on this board are willing foot soldiers for the right in this fight.
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

gounion wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 11:15 am Excellent Op/Ed today in the WaPo by Jamelle Bouie, about a book by W.E.B. Du Bois: The Backlash Against C.R.T. Shows That Republicans are Losing Ground:

And let's remember that our conservatives on this board are willing foot soldiers for the right in this fight.
Same for the so-called moderates, civility-mongers, and other Malthusian eugenicist populist horseshoes around here. They are cogs in a grinding, destructive wheel.

MLK was right about all of them.

~ Ida B. Wells