Ukraine

News and events of the day
ProfX

Re: Ukraine

Post by ProfX »

I dunno what kinda air force Ukraine has, all I can say is a 40 mile long convoy would make for a sweet bombing run.

But I think they don't have much.

Looks like the Molotov Cocktail may become the defense weapon of choice. Hey, the Russians used it against German tanks in WW II, looks like it may get used against Russian ones now.

The Ukrainian MoD is handing out instructions on how to make and use Molotovs.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... g-car.html

Well ... as an infamous douche once said, you go to war with the army you have, not always the one you want.
"Don't believe every quote attributed to people on the Internet" -- Abraham Lincoln :D
bradman

Post by bradman »

gounion wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 10:13 am If Zelensky doesn't get captured or killed, they'll be vicious fighters even after the occupation. He's been an amazing leader.
Captured, killed, or making it out alive, he'll go down in the history books not as an actor. It'll be written the leader he turned out to be. It's what a hero looks like. i damn near choke every time i watch him.
I am not a member of any organized political party. I am a Democrat. [Will Rogers]
gounion

Post by gounion »

ProfX wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 10:16 am I dunno what kinda air force Ukraine has, all I can say is a 40 mile long convoy would make for a sweet bombing run.

But I think they don't have much.

Looks like the Molotov Cocktail may become the defense weapon of choice. Hey, the Russians used it against German tanks in WW II, looks like it may get used against Russian ones now.

The Ukrainian MoD is handing out instructions on how to make and use Molotovs.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... g-car.html

Well ... as an infamous douche once said, you go to war with the army you have, not always the one you want.
Gonna be a bunch of weapons incoming.
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

Zelensky vs Trump...cons love trump and hate Zelensky.

and

https://twitter.com/DrEricDing/status/1 ... zYl1XTOfgQ

SCOOP—Russian attacks cut off access to the main warehouse for Novo Nordisk drugs in Ukraine, a source says. All of NN’s insulin in 🇺🇦 is stored there. Unless warehouse access restored, pharmacies only have a couple days of #insulin left. ➡️This is also a crime against humanity.
I sigh in your general direction.
bradman

Post by bradman »

Haven't really heard anything about the Ukrainian air force. Headlines early on did say Russia had gained air superiority.

Given that, it'd be a stretch for a few planes out of Poland actully reaching the convoy. i'm hoping Ukraine is planning to take up defensive positions in the west. Get some resemblance of an air force to defend it. Your supply lines will become shorter and easier to maintain.(which is a problem the Ukrainians are having now. The weapons are there, the supply line not so much.) By that time a no fly zone could be in order.
I am not a member of any organized political party. I am a Democrat. [Will Rogers]
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

A no fly zone is asking for a direct confrontation between NATO and Russia. That could go nuclear before cooler heads could prevail. As bad as the situation is in Ukraine, our options still remain quite constrained by the desire to still have a human race at the end of 2022.
"We must remember that we cannot abandon the truth and remain a free nation." --Liz Cheney, Republican, 7/21/22
bradman

Post by bradman »

Odd. Poot, it should be a given that you control the skies long before now....

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/wh ... 022-03-01/
What happened to Russia's Air Force? U.S. officials, experts stumped
WASHINGTON, March 1 (Reuters) - Before Russia's invasion of Ukraine, U.S. intelligence had predicted a blistering assault by Moscow that would quickly mobilize the vast Russian air power that its military assembled in order to dominate Ukraine's skies.

But the first six days have confounded those expectations and instead seen Moscow act far more delicately with its air power, so much so that U.S. officials can't exactly explain what's driving Russia's apparent risk-averse behavior.

"They're not necessarily willing to take high risks with their own aircraft and their own pilots," a senior U.S. defense official said, speaking on condition of anonymity.

Vastly outmatched by Russia's military, in terms of raw numbers and firepower, Ukraine's own air force is still flying and its air defenses are still deemed to be viable - a fact that is baffling military experts.
After the opening salvos of the war on Feb. 24, analysts expected the Russian military to try to immediately destroy Ukraine's air force and air defenses.

That would have been "the logical and widely anticipated next step, as seen in almost every military conflict since 1938," wrote the RUSI think-tank in London, in an article called "The Mysterious Case of the Missing Russian Air Force."

Instead, Ukrainian air force fighter jets are still carrying out low-level, defensive counter-air and ground-attack sorties. Russia is still flying through contested airspace.
bradman

Post by bradman »

The should'a, could'a would'a skinnies on controlling air space....

https://rusi.org/explore-our-research/p ... -air-force
ProfX

Post by ProfX »

Yeah. Who will enforce the NFZ? Who shoots down Russian planes that violate?

NATO? That way lies MAD, and I don't see that happening.

The UN doesn't have an airforce. :|
"Don't believe every quote attributed to people on the Internet" -- Abraham Lincoln :D
gounion

Post by gounion »

bradman

Post by bradman »

Advocating for a no fly zone at this time could push poot over the edge. Not a good move. i'd hate to have to be the one to explain that to Zelenskyy. i don't think i could look into his stoic eyes while listening to his translator break down in tears.

imo.. any kind of no fly zone would come later and would not include the vast area Russia may control by then. It depends if Ukrainian forces can survive and withdraw to a decent defendable line around Lviv and to the area to the north that brush up against Poland and the Baltic states. NATO States. i could see a no fly buffer zone then. One that could, maybe, go as far as offering support for what little forces Ukraine may have left.
gounion

Post by gounion »

JoeMemphis wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 11:33 am Former SecDef Rumsfeld once said something to the effect you go to war with the army you’ve got not with the army you want. We aren’t ready and our Allies aren’t ready to do without fossil fuels. So until such time as we are, it makes more sense to rely on resources we produce ourselves rather than rely on resources produced by our enemies. Why don’t you make the case that we need to continue to pour money in Putin’s pocket? Why don’t you make the case that Germany and other of our European allies need to rely on Russia to heat their homes? That’s what’s happening and Putin is using it as a weapon.
Well, Joe, the oil companies have spoken, and they aren't interested in drilling and producing more, no matter what our country's needs. They are more than happy to just sit back and rake in the windfall profits on the production they have now. Why drill more when oil may rise to $200 a barrel and the can rake it in?
On the face of it, it's an ideal time for US firms to cash in on high prices after Russia's invasion of Ukraine: Traders are nervous about purchasing Russian oil due to uncertainty about the situation, though those exports aren't subject to current sanctions. And other major producers like Saudi Arabia have indicated they won't fill the global supply gap.

*snip*

As a result, US oil production is just under 12 million barrels a day, 8% lower than in 2019. Experts say the industry is unlikely to get back to that pre-pandemic level this year — and that the last decade's rapid increases in US oil production, typically double-digit percentages year-over-year, are probably a thing of the past.

Another factor likely making oil companies cautious about investing too much, too fast is 2020's oil bust. The early days of the pandemic drove oil briefly to negative pricing, resulting in a spate of bankruptcies across the industry.

"They're more confident we don't have to worry about a bust, [but] they're not uncorking the champagne," McNally said. "2020 is still fresh in their minds....They're still scarred."

The other thing keeping US production in check: investors seem to be reluctant to invest in fossil fuel stocks. Major US oil stocks have lagged behind the broader market for most of the last two years, teaching executives a hard lesson: Use the recent windfalls to reward investors, not sink more wells.

"Oil and gas companies do not want to drill more," said Pavel Molchanov, an analyst at Raymond James. "They are under pressure from the financial community to pay more dividends, to do more share buybacks instead of the proverbial 'drill baby drill,' which is the way they would have done things 10 years ago. Corporate strategy has fundamentally changed."

To that end, while companies like ExxonMobil (XOM), Chevron (CVX), Marathon (MRO) and Phillips 66 (PSX) expect to spend more on exploration and other capital spending in 2022, none of those companies expect to hit 2019 spending levels. And it will take time for them to turn that additional exploration spending into oil, Molchanov said.

"If someone starts drilling oil wells today, the increased supply might be 6 months, 12 months, even years away," he said.

When asked about production targets for 2022 during a January earnings call, ExxonMobil CEO Darren Woods responded, "The primary objectives we've had in looking at the portfolio is less about volume and volume targets and more about the quality and profitability of the barrels that we're producing."
So, Joe, you want more oil production, talk to the oil companies. They don't seem to be interested. Let us know when they are. Nothing to stop them from increasing production.
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

gounion wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 8:03 pm Joe, you can’t debate issues. When you start losing you lash out, just as you did today. You’re the one that made the personal attacks on this thread, not me. Look back and see for yourself.

You’re the only one on this board that made personal shit up out of whole cloth out of your personal hatred, and now you’re doing it again.

You’re not a doctor, you’re a fucking accountant. You just make such false accusations because you always lose debates, and then lash out.

But I’m better than you - I’m not going to make such disgusting accusations about YOUR mental health.
Well, I will. He is quite obsessed with you, and appears to be desperate to win some kind of imagined competition with you.

I say this having dealt with countless internet creeps like this in my own time, several on this very website.

He hates this board, acts like he's too good for this board, yet he keeps coming back to it on a regular basis. The only reason he does so is to bite at your heels. Seen this behavior so so so many times with these conservative males.

The way to right wrongs is to
Shine the light of truth on them.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by Libertas »

carmenjonze wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 2:37 pm Well, I will. He is quite obsessed with you, and appears to be desperate to win some kind of imagined competition with you.

I say this having dealt with countless internet creeps like this in my own time, several on this very website.

He hates this board, acts like he's too good for this board, yet he keeps coming back to it on a regular basis. The only reason he does so is to bite at your heels. Seen this behavior so so so many times with these conservative males.
My memory is said con first interaction was alleging rich pay taxes :lol: , or at anywhere NEAR what we (average people) pay or they should pay.
gounion

Post by gounion »

carmenjonze wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 2:37 pm Well, I will. He is quite obsessed with you, and appears to be desperate to win some kind of imagined competition with you.

Yeah, to be honest, I don't understand it. I've always had personal trolls. Some on the left, like Sam. In the early days when I was on the Ed Schultz Board, the precursor to this one, I had one guy that hated me so much he figured out somehow who I was, and sent emails to my employer trying to get me fired, and sent threats to my home, scaring my wife, since I'm usually out of town. He was banned, and, as I recall, Plunderer knew who he was and told him legal action would be coming his way if he didn't stop.

So, I was very protective of my personal identity for a long time, until I retired.

Not sure what riles them up so much with me in particular. You'd think, since Joe's a educated professional, he'd be able to deal with it as an adult, and not a spoiled child having a tantrum. He wouldn't make up lies and insults about someone on a message board. But I guess not.

He blames his actions on me, I guess I DO live in his head, but you look at his debates with ProfX, a far different debater than I am, and it's not much different. He can't win any kind of factual debate, and when he gets contradicted with facts and such, he goes off his rocker.
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

gounion wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 4:12 pm Yeah, to be honest, I don't understand it. I've always had personal trolls. Some on the left, like Sam. In the early days when I was on the Ed Schultz Board, the precursor to this one, I had one guy that hated me so much he figured out somehow who I was, and sent emails to my employer trying to get me fired, and sent threats to my home, scaring my wife, since I'm usually out of town. He was banned, and, as I recall, Plunderer knew who he was and told him legal action would be coming his way if he didn't stop.

So, I was very protective of my personal identity for a long time, until I retired.

Not sure what riles them up so much with me in particular. You'd think, since Joe's a educated professional, he'd be able to deal with it as an adult, and not a spoiled child having a tantrum. He wouldn't make up lies and insults about someone on a message board. But I guess not.

He blames his actions on me, I guess I DO live in his head, but you look at his debates with ProfX, a far different debater than I am, and it's not much different. He can't win any kind of factual debate, and when he gets contradicted with facts and such, he goes off his rocker.
You are a union guy, powerful union guy, or were...that is most of it I think.

I mean cons first action here I think was to defend the rich...LOL
gounion

Post by gounion »

Libertas wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 4:17 pm You are a union guy, powerful union guy, or were...that is most of it I think.

I mean cons first action here I think was to defend the rich...LOL
No, much of it was before I "came out" - all I said was that I was a full-time activist.

They were always saying I was a guy in my underwear in my mom's basement. It was funny, since I knew I was as successful in life as any of them and far more successful than most of them.

But then, I let them have their fantasy. I was always confident my arguments stood strongly on their own. Didn't need to use the appeal to authority.
ProfX

Post by ProfX »

Aaaaaaand ... this is exactly what happens when you let the government tell teachers what they "must" teach.

Russia is reportedly forcing teachers to teach the government's justification for the Ukrainian invasion to schoolchildren
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/ru ... li=BBnb7Kz

I remember when I was in China, they told me stories about how teachers during the Cultural Revolution HAD to open each day with a passage from Mao's Little Red Book.
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

ProfX wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 5:16 pm Aaaaaaand ... this is exactly what happens when you let the government tell teachers what they "must" teach.

Russia is reportedly forcing teachers to teach the government's justification for the Ukrainian invasion to schoolchildren

I remember when I was in China, they told me stories about how teachers during the Cultural Revolution HAD to open each day with a passage from Mao's Little Red Book.
The only reason conservative whites in this country hate the whackodoodle Islamists and the commies is because the whackodoodle Islamists and the commies impose authoritarianism and totalitarianism even better than they do.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by carmenjonze »

Look at what the commies are now doing to Muslims within their own borders. After at least 5 years of this, we can still hear a pin drop from USian conservatives on that subject. viewtopic.php?p=14880#p14880

Watch this country's dupes of destructive traditionalist myths eagerly turn in their own neighbors to the government if they have a transgender kid...while claiming to be pro-family :?. viewtopic.php?p=17742#p17742

And let's be crystal clear on this: without the Civil Rights movements and bills that mainstream conservative whites like Barry Goldwater refused to support, these cons would be even worse in 2022 than they were in 1964. viewtopic.php?p=17774#p17774

Meanwhile, today's US cons will tell you how lucky you are that they're not throwing you off of buildings like ISIS does. The GOP is full of Gosars and MGTs but you better express gratitude to continue to exist a minority in God's Favorite Country. And don't you dare speak of what we have done to you for 400 years or else we'll loudly point and cry that you're the one with the victimhood mentality.

These anti-woke, anti-PC cons only wish they could implement the anti-LGBT, anti-abortion, anti-Muslim, anti-immigrant, economic kreptocrat policies that these criminal governments get away with. They're envious, and jealous.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by Libertas »

carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

Love this project.

Saving Ukrainian Cultural Heritage Online (SUCHO)
We are a group of cultural heritage professionals – librarians, archivists, researchers, programmers – working together to identify and archive at-risk sites, digital content, and data in Ukrainian cultural heritage institutions while the country is under attack. We are using a combination of technologies to crawl and archive sites and content, including the Internet Archive’s Wayback Machine, the Browsertrix crawler and the ArchiveWeb.page browser extension and app of the Webrecorder project.

How you can get involved

1. Submit important URLs for collections in cultural heritage institutions in Ukraine
2. Volunteer to help identify and archive sites and content, run technology (Browsertrix) or let us know if you are a Ukrainian researcher in need of secure storage for research or data files.

You’ll need to wait until we add you to the Slack to actually get started, but if you want to read about the process, here’s our workflow and a orientation for new volunteers.

Team
  • Olha Aleksic, Ukrainian Research Institute, Harvard University
  • Kostyantyn Bondarenko, Ukrainian Research Institute, Harvard University
  • Kristina Conroy, Ukrainian Research Institute, Harvard University
  • Quinn Dombrowski, Stanford University
  • Andy Janco, Haverford College
  • Anna E. Kijas, Tufts University
  • Ilya Kreymer, Webrecorder Software
  • Sebastian Majstorovic, Austrian Centre for Digital Humanities and Cultural Heritage
  • Iryna Voloshyna, Department of Folklore and Ethnomusicology, Indiana University

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by Motor City »

Afghanistan six months on from the Taliban takeover – photo essay
Food distribution in the northern Jowzjan province. Due to the economic crisis, many people cannot afford food, even though it’s widely available in the market....

....Already scarred by four decades of war, Afghanistan’s rapid regime change has left a mark that will take a long time to process. As the Taliban are slowly putting their government in place, many Afghans feel lost and confused. With uncertain futures, some see little alternative but to seek a new life abroad, adding to a diaspora of more than 5 million worldwide.
The data is bleak: last week Joe Biden announced that $3.5bn of frozen Afghan funds – including the private savings of ordinary Afghans – would be distributed to 9/11 victims, even though not a single Afghan was involved in the attacks.
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

ProfX wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 5:16 pm Aaaaaaand ... this is exactly what happens when you let the government tell teachers what they "must" teach.

Dunno, every school I went to started each day with the whole class facing an American flag and pledging allegiance to it, and to the Republic for which it stands. This invariably included Eisenhower's "under God" post-WWII addition, which is unconstitutional. Presumably this was to counter "Godless Communism," but kids who'd been raised with Allah, Buddah, YHWH, The Force, or atheism must have had some cognitive dissonance every morning. Nobody was ever disciplined for skipping the "under God," but there were peer pressures.
"We must remember that we cannot abandon the truth and remain a free nation." --Liz Cheney, Republican, 7/21/22
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

Nothing beneath a republican, nothing.

A betrayal of Ukraine: Republican Senators obstruct vital humanitarian aid while seeking profits for big oil!

https://www.milwaukeeindependent.com/th ... s-big-oil/

Much needed financial aid for Ukraine to fight back Putin’s brutal invasion has been delayed while special interests in America demand greater profits for Big Oil, Big Coal and Big Gas.

If such a thing happened in any other developed country in the world, many of these U.S. Senators would be in prison, or at least barred from office and paying huge fines.

Sabotage Ukraine aid because your donors paid you to? Sabotage your own country’s energy and environmental policies because your donors promise you millions of dollars?

In every other advanced democracy in the world, that is called bribery and corruption and is criminal behavior.

Not only are such corrupt politicians held accountable by the legal systems of most other democracies; if word of their paid shilling became public they would never get re-elected to their existing positions and probably couldn’t even win an election as dog-catcher.

But here in America, thanks to five radicals on the Supreme Court, it is perfectly legal for legislators to take piles of cash from Big Oil and the billionaires it is made and then openly — proudly — trash America and abandon other democracies like Ukraine.

The Biden administration requested an emergency $10 billion in military and humanitarian aid to Ukraine attached to the federal budget. House Majority Whip Stenny Hoyer (D-MD), who is in charge of shepherding legislation in the House into law, pushed as hard as he could and got what he thought was a firm commitment for a congressional vote on March 8.

Full contemporary funding of the federal government has already been dragged out over the past year with stunts by Republicans like Rick Scott, whose contribution to slowing the legislative process in the Senate was to block legislation to fund the Post Office. But that was a few weeks ago; Hoyer and Schumer still thought they could get funding through the Senate and onto the President’s desk quickly.
FUCKERS

And then there was Tennessee Republican Senator Marsha Blackburn holding up the federal budget for two full weeks while Putin built his forces on the Ukraine border because of “crack pipes.” She says she is worried about America’s opioid addiction epidemic. As the Tennessee Lookout noted:

“Since Blackburn first ran for Congress in 2002, she has taken more than $1 million in contributions from pharmaceutical companies or health PACs, many associated with the same companies making opioid painkillers or distributing them across rural America.

“As a congresswoman in 2014, she co-sponsored the Ensuring Patient Access and Effective Drug Enforcement Act. That’s a nice name for a bill that was written by a pharmaceutical industry lobbyist, and one that significantly hinders the government’s ability to halt suspicious shipments of narcotics.”