The Next Doctor Who

TV, Movies, Music and the Rest!
ProfX

The Next Doctor Who

Post by ProfX »

Ncuiti Gatwa will be the 14th Doctor after Jodie Whitaker.

He is Scottish, but his family fled to the country from Rwanda.

Doctor Who has never been Black before - OK technically not true - Jo Martin was revealed as a previous incarnation, "the Fugitive Doctor," that the "current" Doctor (Jodie) was unaware of as the "Timeless Child")

Of course, there are some rumors Rusell T. Davies might retcon all the Timeless Child changes, which I don't know whether that removes Jo Martin from the 'continuity' or not.

BTW, there are also rumors that in Jodie's final episode, the 60th Anniversary, she and Yaz will share the Doctor's first same sex kiss (Yaz already confessed feelings for her.)
"Don't believe every quote attributed to people on the Internet" -- Abraham Lincoln :D
ProfX

Re: The Next Doctor Who

Post by ProfX »

Ay, the BBC loves making things complicated, happy 60th. :mrgreen:

Power of the Doctor trailer -- still can't embed, sigh.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxaDzBPBuP8

The Power of the Doctor Brings an End to Another Era of Doctor Who
The Thirteenth Doctor bids the world adieu with her last special on October 23.
https://gizmodo.com/doctor-who-power-of ... 1849634695

So this looks like Jodi's swan song. But no worries. She will regenerate. Right? (Except Time itself and the Master said she's out of regenerations and this is her permanent end). Well, we know she will, and the 14th Doctor next year will be Ncuti Gatwa, with her swapping both gender and race as she regenerates. Except, uh, maybe with a pit stop as degeneration :mrgreen: David Tennant and the return of Donna Noble (somehow)? (Last we saw her she had amnesia over her time with the Doc.)

We know for sure the special will be chock full of former companion cameos, including Ace and the late Bernard Cribbin. Will there be other doctors? Will we see the "secret/missing" Fugitive Doctor or the War Doctor? We know there has to be a tearful goodbye to her bae Yaz. Guess we'll find out.

Then the show has its own anniversary next year, and somehow we're gonna have two Doctors? And a Rose Tyler who isn't Rose Tyler? Ay, BBC, you love to leave us head scratching.

Goodbye, Jodi, we're gonna miss you. :twisted:
"Don't believe every quote attributed to people on the Internet" -- Abraham Lincoln :D
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

:D
I sigh in your general direction.
ProfX

Post by ProfX »

Complicated...

The next Rose Tyler is a black trans female played by Yasmin Finney ... and is NOT Billie Piper. OK. Maybe she isn't Rose Tyler (also). :roll:

Are we just watching some unwatched prequel of David Tennant, or is he back. At the same time? How timey-wimey.

Two Doctors, and a trans actor playing Rose? How Russell T Davies is mixing things up in the Tardis all over again
The screenwriter is back in charge of Doctor Who, and changing everything – with the trans actor Yasmin Finney playing Rose Tyler and David Tennant returning, too
https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radi ... pass-notes

Hope we see more of the Fugitive Doctor, Jo Martin.

Maybe they'll even explain where she fits in the "Timeless Child"/"Division" timeline/continuity. :)
ProfX

Post by ProfX »

At the pre-screening of Power of the Doctor, they cut off the last few minutes which show the Doctor's regeneration. As always, there's so-called scene leaks on the Interwebz but they basically show ... nuttin'.

Doctor Who showrunner promises "very different" regeneration scene
Though just how different remains to be seen...
https://www.radiotimes.com/tv/sci-fi/do ... ewsupdate/

How different? The last few times, s/he "exploded" inside the TARDIS, which usually helped explain the new season's redesign. This time it may happen on the cliff, through the trailer shows her trapped in some kind of tube. Is the Master trying to siphon off her regeneration energy?

MHO: there can only be one reason they didn't show the scene to pre-screeners. My guess is they'll tease Ncuti Gatwa's face, but then she'll suddenly shriek and regress back to being David Tennant.

I think this will be temporary, she'll turn back/forward to Ncuti as the 14th, but AFTER the 60th Anniversary specials of next year.

Chibnall ain't saying nothing. No confirm, no deny. Just that the regeneration will be "different". Eh, who knows, Chibnall may have her regress back to being Jo Martin, or the War Doctor, the Valeyard, or something really out of left field. :lol:

Oh yeah, and it looks like the Master is also Rasputin. :ugeek:
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

Just remind me when it starts, OK...so I can check it out.

I see it is coming to BBC the 23rd of this month, but like most BBC shows will it be months before it premiers here?

There are so many good BBC sitcoms that we still cant see over here, annoying.

ps

New episode of this on HBO today
ProfX

Post by ProfX »

Supposed to air this Sunday 10/23. 9 PM.

BTW, they used to delay episodes on Sci-Fi Channel, but I believe BBC America has them "same day". PBS won't have it, they used to.

I wish there was more Brit comedy on BBC America, heck they don't even have BBC News. You can get it through BBC iPlayer, but, alas, it's region blocked outside the UK. Then there's also Britbox, but that too is PPV.
Last edited by ProfX on Mon Oct 17, 2022 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

ProfX wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 7:52 pm Supposed to air this Sunday 10/23. 9 PM.

BTW, they used to delay episodes on Sci-Fi Channel, but I believe BBC America has them "same day".
Alrighty then. I wonder if HBO will have them at the same time. I have BBC America but regular TV is 720P definition which sucks.
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

Is this how we got the current doctor?

https://youtu.be/yJqsPBWbtjk

The Twelfth Doctor Regenerates | Peter Capaldi to Jodie Whittaker | Doctor Who
ProfX

Post by ProfX »

I can get BBC America in HD (1080p) on my Xfinity cable box. Shrug? (Not sure if it does 4K, but my TV won't display it anyway.)

Yeah, Capaldi regenerated into Jodie Whitaker. I remember the freakout over the Doctor being a woman. BTW, the Master had regenerated into "Missy" (the "Mistress") earlier so we know Timelords can do this. Sheesh.

I have this feeling s/he's going to regress back into being David Tennant for a few specials in 2023, not sure if we'll see 14th Doctor Ncuti Gatwa before 2024. Guess we'll find out.

Also, Russell T. Davies is taking over as show runner from Chibnall, and so we might get some continuity rewrites, some are hoping the "Timeless Child" either gets written out, or ends up being the Master instead.
ProfX

Post by ProfX »

*** Mega majestic spoiler warning? ****

Looks like, for now, anyway, the next doctor is David Tennant.

And as always we have to wait till next year to find out what went wrong. A regression has never happened before.

I'm just wondering if Ncuti will make an appearance before 2024. Maybe not.

Power of the Doctor was CHOCK full of nostalgia. We knew already Ace and Teagan would be in it. Well, so are several old previous Doctors and Companions, heck they had some kind of "reunion group" where even Ian from the 1st Doctor was present .... dang, they even dragged out the 8th Doctor, Paul McGann, who (until recently) was never on TV ...

The Master became Rasputin, tried to use Cybertron the Miniplanet to destroy Earth with volcanoes, all that was just a ruse to try and take over the Doctor's body, gaining the Timeless Child's infinite regenerations ... it failed. (But in a typical Master touch, he inserted his face into several of the world's most famous paintings.)

No final Yaz-Doctor kiss ... they chickened out.