Pardon me?

News and events of the day
gounion

Pardon me?

Post by gounion »

The jokes will be never-ending, but this is serious:
Reps. Matt Gaetz of Florida, Mo Brooks of Alabama, Scott Perry of Pennsylvania and other congressional Republicans sought pardons from then-President Donald Trump after the 2020 election, according to emails and testimony revealed by the Jan. 6 House select committee on Thursday.

The committee showed an email that Brooks sent to the White House on Jan. 11, 2021, with the subject line of “pardons.”

“President Trump asked me to send you this letter. This letter is also pursuant to a request from Matt Gaetz,” the email said. “As such, I recommend that president give general (all purpose) pardons to the following groups of people,” which included one group of “every congressman and senator who voted to reject the electoral college vote submissions of Arizona and Pennsylvania.”
Also Gohmert and Marjorie Taylor Greene.

Hmmmm. Reminds me of 18 U.S. Code § 201 - Bribery of public officials and witnesses:
(2) being a public official or person selected to be a public official, directly or indirectly, corruptly demands, seeks, receives, accepts, or agrees to receive or accept anything of value personally or for any other person or entity, in return for:
(A) being influenced in the performance of any official act;
(B) being influenced to commit or aid in committing, or to collude in, or allow, any fraud, or make opportunity for the commission of any fraud, on the United States; or
(C) being induced to do or omit to do any act in violation of the official duty of such official or person;
And that's 15 years in prison and disqualification from office.
Libertas

Re: Pardon me?

Post by Libertas »

Every repub ceiling in America would need painted if it were Dems...their heads would explode.

Our media, our courts and our water cooler conversations have two sets of rules, one that results in little to no action if a con does it and one that acts immediately and decisively if a Dem does it.

That Gillum is indicted and NONE of these are, is proof.
I sigh in your general direction.
gounion

Post by gounion »

Great piece on Rachael Maddow about why Trump didn't Pardon them: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdnUNKw2cZ0

The thing is, to get a pardon, you have to say what you did. Plus, then you can't plead the fifth in future subpoenas. So Trump likely didn't give anyone a pardon because it could hurt Trump. It was going to be everyone pleading guilty, and would directly point to Trump.
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

gounion wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:53 am Great piece on Rachael Maddow about why Trump didn't Pardon them: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdnUNKw2cZ0

The thing is, to get a pardon, you have to say what you did. Plus, then you can't plead the fifth in future subpoenas. So Trump likely didn't give anyone a pardon because it could hurt Trump. It was going to be everyone pleading guilty, and would directly point to Trump.
Are we CERTAIN no pardons? I dont know now if that is good or bad, as you say.

Wouldnt matter, would it, if 70 million Americans and ALL board cons didn't support violent fascism, but they do.
gounion

Post by gounion »

Libertas wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:57 am Are we CERTAIN no pardons? I dont know now if that is good or bad, as you say.

Wouldnt matter, would it, if 70 million Americans and ALL board cons didn't support violent fascism, but they do.
Not certain, but Trump only looks out for himself. I'd say the only hidden (pocket) pardons would be for himself and his family.
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

That's exactly why drumpf didn't pardon half the Republican Party. If there is no self-incrimination, one can be compelled to testify. That's why truth and reconciliation commissions grant full amnesty to anyone who testifies.

drumpf wanted fearful silence.
"We must remember that we cannot abandon the truth and remain a free nation." --Liz Cheney, Republican, 7/21/22
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

ZoWie wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:05 pm That's exactly why drumpf didn't pardon half the Republican Party. If there is no self-incrimination, one can be compelled to testify. That's why truth and reconciliation commissions grant full amnesty to anyone who testifies.

drumpf wanted fearful silence.
We are under attack, I have said that for a long time and I MEAN a PHYSICAL attack by the cons INCLUDING the ones here.

They are no different than armed Nazi WW2 soldiers. That is NOT an exaggeration. Think about it. :twisted:
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

A lot of them are better armed than Nazi soldiers ever were, even with Germany's celebrated workmanship.
"We must remember that we cannot abandon the truth and remain a free nation." --Liz Cheney, Republican, 7/21/22
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

ZoWie wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:18 pm A lot of them are better armed than Nazi soldiers ever were, even with Germany's celebrated workmanship.
And the ones who dont have AK 47 or whatever those fucking things are called, have elected officials who will legislate their hate and violence for them.
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

Libertas wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:22 pm And the ones who dont have AK 47 or whatever those fucking things are called, have elected officials who will legislate their hate and violence for them.
AK-47 is, I believe, a Kalishnikov design, therefore Russian in origin.

Just like drumpf's campaign support.

The M16/AR-15 is by all-American Colt Firearms. Yee-hah!