Got a kick out of Randi Rhodes wearing Liz Warren sweatshirt today.

News and events of the day
Libertas

Got a kick out of Randi Rhodes wearing Liz Warren sweatshirt today.

Post by Libertas »

You know, the former republican.

You know who was NEVER a republican? At least not as an adult. Maybe as a teenager.

Yeah, same candidate for prez Randi could barely get herself to support. Some days back then she was better than others, but those who know the show know what I am talking about.

Also, Hillary is in reality and on paper as liberal and progressive as Warren is or more. And I like Warren, dont get me wrong, but it got to me today.
I sigh in your general direction.
ProfX

Re: Got a kick out of Randi Rhodes wearing Liz Warren sweatshirt today.

Post by ProfX »

Disagree. Hillary is not as liberal/progressive (I use those words interchangeably; P.S. BTW this does not align me with any of the policies of the so-called early 20th c. Progressive Era in America, some of which, especially in retrospect, suck ass, like support for eugenics; for me I use that word to mean "supporter of social progress, anti-reactionary".) as Warren. That said, I did say at the time, she WAS more liberal than Bill, which was true.

Look. Here's the bottom line. Maybe she wasn't a liberal superchampion. Maybe she wasn't terribly inspirational or as great a campaigner as Bill. Maybe she had a funny laugh and swollen ankles and wore pantsuits. She had the support of the dreaded "establishment". So much of that crap didn't matter. Was she better than the idiotic right-populist fascist-lite demagogue we got in 2016? Allow me to do a long drawn out Cenk Uygur "Of cooooooooourse ... "

This much I know and you are right on: she would not have appointed three justices to the court who would today be voting to overturn Roe. Ah yes, hindsight is 20/20 they say, well, ah yes, some of us were saying then if you care about nothing else, SCOTUS picks matter, whether she was going to get one, or three. But "told you so" while gratifying doesn't deal with the present, and I agree with Zowie, it's the present moment we gotta deal with.
"Don't believe every quote attributed to people on the Internet" -- Abraham Lincoln :D
Motor City

Post by Motor City »

It was a terrible choice and look where it led us. American people need more than sentimentality and mild rhetorical sympathy to fight against all the systemic hostility being thrown at them.
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

I could wear the cyber version of the don't blame me, I voted for Bernie in the primary T-shirt, but I won't. It's not relevant. Some people on these here Internets are blaming Jill Stein for not falling into line behind Hillary. The word "progressive" is being bandied around quite a bit, and rarely in a positive connotation. The story seems to be that "progressives" who bolted the Democratic Party gave drumpf the election... and the court.

This, of course, is a massive historical oversimplification. The superior organization, and yes, the illegal foreign assistance from hostile nations, gave drumpf the election, and only because it allowed them to game the system more effectively. The handful of carefully targeted districts in key states gave drumpf the election. And you will notice that, while our side did march in the street and let out a great wave of caterwauling throughout the land, THERE WAS NO THREAT OF VIOLENCE. Oh, if only I could say the same for the other side two years ago.

IIRC, the popular vote went convincingly for Hillary, but thanks to our sainted founders, the popular vote does not elect the president. We're actually lucky that it counts for as much as it does. Surely the framers of the Constitution did not trust the public of the time, given its lack of education and their white-dominant, class-stratified, neo-British concept of government. They wanted the absence of a monarch and titled aristocracy, and their "rights as Englishmen" (English privileged class) and that was enough. But even that is irrelevant. We'll never know the true intent of the founders, who rarely agreed on anything beyond no more King George.

Ignorance may be bliss, but it does not elect people we like. Bad leadership fronting for rapacious upper class egomaniacs, old-world religious fanatics, and Russo-Chinese-Saudi infiltrators is still bad leadership.
"We must remember that we cannot abandon the truth and remain a free nation." --Liz Cheney, Republican, 7/21/22