This is today's GOP

News and events of the day
gounion

This is today's GOP

Post by gounion »

A cop who is running for State Senate in Rhode Island punched her opponent, a black mother of four, during a Roe rally:
Rhode Island Political Cooperative Chairwoman Jennifer Rourke, who spoke at the protest, said she was punched in the face at least twice by her challenger in the state Senate District 29 race, Jeann Lugo. .

Lugo, a Providence police officer, claimed Rourke had become physical with him, which she denied. Lugo did not deny punching Rourke, who said she filed a police report and is looking to press charges for assault.

"I'm not going to deny," Lugo told The Journal of the punching allegation. "It was very chaotic, so I can't really tell you right now. Everything happened very fast."

"To me, this feels like an act of political violence similar to the acts of violence that we have seen across the U.S.," Rourke said. "I'm a Black woman running for office. There was no need, no need for any of this. I'm not going to give up."

Police officer charged with assault, placed on paid leave

On Saturday, Providence police announced they have opened an investigation into an officer who has been on the force for three years. Public Safety Commissioner Steven Paré confirmed to The Journal that the officer is Lugo.

"The Providence Police Department is criminally investigating the behavior of an off duty Providence Police Officer last evening during a protest at the Rhode Island State House where a female subject was assaulted," police spokeswoman Lindsay Lague said, adding that Lugo "was placed on administrative leave with pay this morning, pending a criminal investigation and administrative review."

Later Saturday, Lugo was arraigned on charges of simple assault and disorderly conduct before a bail commissioner at the Rhode Island State Police barracks in Lincoln. He was released on his own recognizance pending a July 8 court date, according to a news release by Providence Police spokeswoman Lindsay Lague.

Lugo announced on Saturday afternoon via Twitter that he has suspended his Senate campaign. He then deleted his account.

While the Law Enforcement Officers' Bill of Rights restricts Paré's ability to comment on such cases, he told The Journal that he saw online what had occurred.

"I saw the video last evening on social media and the behavior and physical assault on the victim is criminal and reprehensible," Paré said. "We will fully investigate."

In a statement, Mayor Jorge Elorza noted the same legal constraints placed on his comment, but said he also saw footage.

"Unfortunately, I am limited in what I can say publicly due to LEOBOR," Elorza said. "With that said, I’ve seen the video and it’s immensely disturbing. Those responsible will be held fully accountable."

Black Lives Matter RI Political Action Committee condemned the violence, called on Lugo to resign from the force and end again called for a repeal of LEOBOR.

"Without intervention, this will set a dangerous precedent for off-duty officers to be able to assault citizens as they please with little to no accountability," the group contended. "This is not the first instance of police misconduct enabled by state leadership’s lack of action on the matter of policing reform."
So this is today's GOP. This is how you hold women. Not surprised, the only thing you care about are fetuses.
Number6

Re: This is today's GOP

Post by Number6 »

Just think, if he had a gun he would have used his "Second Amendment" rights instead of punching her.
When you vote left, you vote right.
gounion

Post by gounion »

Well, then there's Eric Greitens, who is the leading GOP candidate for Senate in Missouri, who wants to kill Republicans that doesn't support Trump. https://www.rawstory.com/eric-greitens- ... -unstable/
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

gounion wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 7:17 pm Well, then there's Eric Greitens, who is the leading GOP candidate for Senate in Missouri, who wants to kill Republicans that doesn't support Trump. https://www.rawstory.com/eric-greitens- ... -unstable/
This is what the cons want. Someone willing to kill the noncompliant.
I sigh in your general direction.
ap215

Post by ap215 »

Former Marine steps down as July 4 parade grand marshal of Texas town after threats of violence

A former Marine slated to lead Friendswood's Fourth of July parade backed out Thursday after a coordinated campaign to remove her as grand marshal led to threats of violence against her and her family, the city's parks department announced.

Haley Carter, who also chairs Houston Mayor Sylvester Turner's Commission Against Gun Violence, "voluntarily stepped down," she said, after failed congressional hopeful, former RV salesman and conservative talk show host Jesse Kelly sicced his hundreds of thousands of Twitter followers on her and her family Wednesday. Kelly said he took exception to Carter's political views and even posted a photo of her child in an effort to intimidate Friendswood officials into canceling her inclusion in the parade.

https://www.chron.com/news/houston-texa ... 1c5cd956cd
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

ap215 wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 7:50 pm Former Marine steps down as July 4 parade grand marshal of Texas town after threats of violence

A former Marine slated to lead Friendswood's Fourth of July parade backed out Thursday after a coordinated campaign to remove her as grand marshal led to threats of violence against her and her family, the city's parks department announced.

Haley Carter, who also chairs Houston Mayor Sylvester Turner's Commission Against Gun Violence, "voluntarily stepped down," she said, after failed congressional hopeful, former RV salesman and conservative talk show host Jesse Kelly sicced his hundreds of thousands of Twitter followers on her and her family Wednesday. Kelly said he took exception to Carter's political views and even posted a photo of her child in an effort to intimidate Friendswood officials into canceling her inclusion in the parade.

https://www.chron.com/news/houston-texa ... 1c5cd956cd
The GOP is a violent terrorist organization, every single GOP voter is included. They will kill you if given the chance.
I sigh in your general direction.
Motor City

Post by Motor City »

GOP megadonor gives DeSantis a pass on immigration — and tons of cash
Billionaire GOP donor David MacNeil has said his political checkbook is closed to Republicans who oppose immigration reforms. But he’s making an exception for Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis.

MacNeil, who founded Illinois-based WeatherTech but now lives in Florida, told POLITICO in 2018 that he would stop donating to GOP opponents of the Obama-era Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program, which grants protections from deportation to more than 600,000 young immigrants brought to America as children. Florida is home to over 24,000 DACA recipients, the fifth most of any state in the country.

The issue is personal for MacNeil, who previously said he’s worried that top staffers at his company could face deportation. It apparently resonated so much with MacNeil that he didn’t financially support former President Donald Trump’s 2020 reelection bid despite giving $1 million to Trump’s inaugural committee. In 2017, Trump tried to end DACA.

Yet MacNeil has become a major donor to DeSantis, contributing $800,000 this year alone. Late last month, MacNeil gave DeSantis’ political committee $300,000, and in May handed over a $500,000 check.......

......MacNeil has also supported Florida U.S. Sen. Rick Scott, the former Florida governor who was initially a DACA skeptic but now says he supports the program. MacNeil has given $100,000 to a federal committee controlled by Scott, and another nearly $95,000 to the Scott-chaired National Republican Senatorial Committee.......
WeatherTech founder, a Trump donor, vows to cut off funding to Republicans who don't back DACA immigration fix
....MacNeil, an entrepreneur who built a car floor mat manufacturing empire in south suburban Bolingbrook, donated $1 million to Trump’s January 2017 inauguration. He shares the “made in America” mantra that dominated Trump’s campaign, as well as the call for tighter border security......