Privacy and Freedom

News and events of the day
JoeMemphis

Re: Privacy and Freedom

Post by JoeMemphis »

ProfX wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:27 pm Roe never established abortion rights without limitations. Post-viability (~26 weeks), it does allow SOME abortions, but only under very limited circumstances. In the third trimester, aka "late term," they are extremely restricted and rare. Or were, anyway.

So, the compromise has existed since 1973. And I would argue Casey extended the compromise.

BTW, life exists before conception, both spermatozoa and ova are alive, and were alive before conception. Post fertilization, something living exists. That's biological fact. But law turns on both science and ethics and rights.

Now look, without even getting into animal rights and PETA debates, we all know not all living things are protected by law. People called "exterminators" can come to your home and wipe out thousands of termites. Nobody bats an eye, we know the termites won't pursue legal action, and I don't know of any humans who will, either, not even Jains.

Our laws regarding rights only deal with human persons, which a zygote smaller than a period is not. We agree on that. Roe said it's a potential human life, with enough qualities of human personhood to start justifying some restrictions on abortion post viability. That's the threshold. It worked for me. And millions of Americans. It was already and always a compromise.
okay. we appear to agree.
gounion

Post by gounion »

JoeMemphis wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:40 pm Yeah. Lets do be clear. I said in my previous post what I support. How and what you choose to believe is up to you.
Your votes tell us what you support.
JoeMemphis

Post by JoeMemphis »

gounion wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:48 pm Your votes tell us what you support.
That's all you really care about. It's not about the issue. It never is and never has been with you. It's all about who controls congress and the WH. You could give a shit about the rest. If someone doesn't vote the way you like, you attack. Just like the Donald.

I'm okay talking about Roe. If you want to get into a voting discussion, we have had that discussion before and I doubt you got anything new or meaningful to offer.
gounion

Post by gounion »

JoeMemphis wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:53 pm That's all you really care about. It's not about the issue. It never is and never has been with you. It's all about who controls congress and the WH. You could give a shit about the rest. If someone doesn't vote the way you like, you attack. Just like the Donald.

I'm okay talking about Roe. If you want to get into a voting discussion, we have had that discussion before and I doubt you got anything new or meaningful to offer.
You’re the one who doesn’t care about the issue. Be honest - there’s not ONE THING the GOP could do that would change your vote, is there?
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

gounion wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:17 pm You’re the one who doesn’t care about the issue. Be honest - there’s not ONE THING the GOP could do that would change your vote, is there?
ka ching

In reverse there are many things the DNC "could" do to turn me but the reality is they never do them, they never talk about doing them, they never hint at doing them, it just isn't them...
Last edited by Libertas on Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I sigh in your general direction.
JoeMemphis

Post by JoeMemphis »

gounion wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:17 pm You’re the one who doesn’t care about the issue. Be honest - there’s not ONE THING the GOP could do that would change your vote, is there?
:roll: :roll:
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

JoeMemphis wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:22 pm :roll: :roll:
That's your answer?

:? okay.

The way to right wrongs is to
Shine the light of truth on them.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by carmenjonze »

If this dirty little bigot ever changes his vote, it should be to throwing it away to the Constitution Party or Natural Law Party or some other form of modern Know-Nothings.

I don't want these people anywhere near the Dems.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by Libertas »

I will say this about cons, they understand the two party system more than many.

In that they know that even when a republican does something they hate, like be pro Woman or pro Black person or pro environment, they still vote for them as they understand the party with ONE more seat controls EVERYTHING.
gounion

Post by gounion »

JoeMemphis wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:22 pm :roll: :roll:
I mean, they staged a coup attempt and that doesn’t change your vote! That says it all. They could dissolve your gay friend’s marriage and you’d vote for them again and again and again.
gounion

Post by gounion »

carmenjonze wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:26 pm If this dirty little bigot ever changes his vote, it should be to throwing it away to the Constitution Party or Natural Law Party or some other form of modern Know-Nothings.

I don't want these people anywhere near the Dems.
No he’s GOP all the way. He loves what they’re doing.
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

gounion wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:40 pm I mean, they staged a coup attempt and that doesn’t change your vote! That says it all. They could dissolve your gay friend’s marriage and you’d vote for them again and again and again.
And here is where we dont get it, seriously.

They have shown us this for a minimum of a decade, but let's just say 6 years. Yet, as little as 2 or 3 years ago and less, if you called them out to be fascist killers, you got yelled at by both sides.

I got mad at Dean O'bedelliah on XM for letting them have equal time on his show, he finally now realizes what a mistake it was to treat them with respect.
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

JoeMemphis wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:53 pm That's all you really care about.
Your words do not match your vote.

That's what matters.

I'd say it also matters that your words not matching your vote also matters, but it clearly does not to you.

You guys are so far-gone you don't even understand the basic integrity issues of voting counter to what you claim on here. :?

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by carmenjonze »

JoeMemphis wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:54 pm You could be right. That's what elections are all about.
Well no, it's what rightwing voter suppression is all about.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by carmenjonze »

Glennfs wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:35 am The 120 days of riots
What 120 days of riots?
The 3 billion in damage
What 3 billion in damage?
The 35 dead
The 1500 police injured
Source this, please.
And
The fact that cities ran by progressives are mostly crime laden shit holes.
Waiting on your source for what a shit hole is.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by ZoWie »

I think Glenn is referring to the riots caused by the unjustified murder of a Black man by a known racist cop.

I suppose my history professors would have said that it was the releasing cause, and that I should look for other, less visible, underlying causes. The enabling causes.

Those aren't hard to find in this particular situation. It's been discussed to the point where it should be common sense by now. It isn't, obviously, or we'd have fewer of these problems. It should be, though.

Obviously the riots are an effect, not a cause. Some of our cities really are shitholes, and anyone who's had any experience with one knows the problem is largely due to social dysfunction brought on mostly by inequality, racism, classism, intolerance, greed, selfishness, and poor economic balance.

It's fine to sit out in the country and cluck cluck cluck about urban problems, but it's also delusional. There's no stasis on a moving train. Fools pay for their foolishness with all the crap that's happening now.
"We must remember that we cannot abandon the truth and remain a free nation." --Liz Cheney, Republican, 7/21/22
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

ZoWie wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:52 pm I think Glenn is referring to the riots caused by the unjustified murder of a Black man by a known racist cop.
Oh I understand the allusion.

The question is about where Glennfs gets his information.

The best he can do, even with a wealth of free knowledge right in his phone, is call up a blog post from a Hillsdale propagandist.

~ Ida B. Wells