Business hilarity omnithread

News and events of the day
gounion

Business hilarity omnithread

Post by gounion »

There's a debate about business on another thread, but I figured it's such a wide-ranging subject it deserves an ongoing thread of it's own. Business does crazy things, and not always smartly.

For instance, Taco Bell. I've never been crazy about Taco Bell, but we've ate there for a change often. I always liked the Mexican Pizza. Now, I didn't LLLLLOOOOOVEEEE it, but if I got, say, three things when I went there, the Mexican Pizza would be one. Then maybe a burrito and taco.

But a few years ago, they did away with the Mexican Pizza in 2020. I don't think it was ever a top selling item, so they took it off the menu during the pandemic. Now, the problem with that is, is was a unique item, and their competition didn't have one. I grumbled, but I guess a lot of people got MAD, and they got a lot of negative feedback.

So, they decided to bring it back, and made a semi-big deal about it. But people had been wanting it BAD - and when it was released in May, it went crazy at Taco Bell. They completely sold out nationwide, some places within a week. It made sales jump 8% in the quarter, even though it was only available for a short time!

So it's taken them all summer to work to bring it back. It's coming back mid-September, and they swear they have enough product that they will NOT sell out again!

But how can they do that? Are they going to have enough on hand for a 400% increase in sales? If so, what do they do if sales aren't as strong as expected, and their beef starts going bad? I guess much of it, the beans and cheese and sauce and such won't go bad, but still!

And, of course, how long will the increase last? I mean, I did go get one Mexican Pizza last May, but they ran out before I was interested in another one. I won't have one very often even when they come back.

But I have made them at home, and really, they're superior to what I can get at Taco Bell.

So I do wonder what will happen to their bottom line in the long run.