Oh FFS, now this? Yahoo News How West Coast residents should prepare for the threat of a tsunami

News and events of the day
Libertas

Oh FFS, now this? Yahoo News How West Coast residents should prepare for the threat of a tsunami

Post by Libertas »

https://www.yahoo.com/news/how-west-coa ... 49831.html

Yahoo News
How West Coast residents should prepare for the threat of a tsunami
Garin Flowers
Garin Flowers·National Reporter and Producer
Mon, August 15, 2022 at 5:08 PM·7 min read
When most people hear the word “tsunami,” they may imagine a massive wave, but that’s actually a misconception that researchers in Washington state are trying to correct. Since the state’s coastline is at risk of being hit with a devastating tsunami following an earthquake of magnitude 7.5, the state is trying to educate the public about what it actually would be like.

The Washington State Department of Natural Resources released a wave simulation study in July and shared a bit of startling news: a tsunami in Puget Sound could engulf Seattle’s shoreline, leaving it under more than 20 feet of water within minutes.

Several videos released along with the study illustrate how an earthquake-triggered tsunami would most likely cause water to inundate the coastal areas around Seattle. From land, a tsunami functions and looks more like a storm surge from a hurricane than a tidal wave.
I sigh in your general direction.
ProfX

Re: Oh FFS, now this? Yahoo News How West Coast residents should prepare for the threat of a tsunami

Post by ProfX »

I have some advice for preparing for the threat of a tsunami.

1. Move inland.

1a. Too late? Run.

"Don't believe every quote attributed to people on the Internet" -- Abraham Lincoln :D
Libertas

Re: Oh FFS, now this? Yahoo News How West Coast residents should prepare for the threat of a tsunami

Post by Libertas »

What is that? Is it real?

Looks either to be not real or a depth perception thing. I dont actually live by the ocean, now. But I did and I want to move back there.
Number6

Post by Number6 »

Anywhere along any coast can be subjected to a tsunami. I live about .8 miles from the ocean (tide line) and our city's elevation is only 16 feet so a tsunami would have an easy time going from the ocean straight across San Diego Bay. However, we're fortunate that the possibility of a tsunami doing that is very small. This is due to two geological features. The first is Point Loma, which rises to 422 feet, which projects out into the ocean and protects Coronado from a tsunami coming from the West. The second are the Coronado Islands, 18 miles away off the Mexican coast, which will dissipate most of the force of the tsunami. The city does have Tsunami Evacuation route signs posted but there are only two roads off our island, either by the Silver Strand (seven miles) or the Coronado Bridge (I wouldn't want to be caught on it when a tsunami hit). If we have hours of warning most of the city's residents could evacuate but during the week day there are thousands of cars on North Island Naval Air Station who would be trying to evacuate adding to congestion.

As for the rest of the West Coast, those living close (within three miles) need to be heedful of warnings and know where the evacuation route(s) in advance and to prep to "bug out" on short notice. This "bug out" also requires them to pre-plan/position what they'll need to survive for the next couple of days, the same as if it were an earthquake.
When you vote left, you vote right.
Number6

Post by Number6 »

ProfX wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 4:08 pm I have some advice for preparing for the threat of a tsunami.

1. Move inland.

1a. Too late? Run.

I remember, as a kid in the early 60s, my dad being stationed in Rhode Island and we were staying in a motel until he could find a house to rent. We ate in a small restaurant and I remember a sign posted saying "In case of nuclear attack, pay bill first and then kiss your ass goodbye."

Your meme or a variation of it has been around for a very long time.
Number6

Post by Number6 »

Libertas wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 4:14 pm What is that? Is it real?

Looks either to be not real or a depth perception thing. I dont actually live by the ocean, now. But I did and I want to move back there.
The image is probably real but I don't think it's a tsunami. There are two surfers, one in the middle of the picture and another to the right, as well at two jet skis at the far right of the wave. This looks to be from a surfing competition in which the surfers are towed out to catch these big waves.
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

Number6 wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 4:25 pm The image is probably real but I don't think it's a tsunami. There are two surfers, one in the middle of the picture and another to the right, as well at two jet skis at the far right of the wave. This looks to be from a surfing competition in which the surfers are towed out to catch these big waves.
That is kinda what I figured.

Board cons are pissed that Biden and the dems are going to try and reduce global warming and lowered RX costs for seniors. For some reason.