Violent antidemocrats who are also violently racist.

News and events of the day
Libertas

Violent antidemocrats who are also violently racist.

Post by Libertas »

https://www.bu.edu/articles/2022/are-tr ... -fascists/

In those instances where you cant technically call them fascists, this is what the experts say to call them...

I wouldn’t call [them] fascists, because fascists are people who were involved in the interwar period. But there’s no question that they’re violent antidemocrats who are also violently racist.
I would like a shorter term for them...THIS is the republican party.
I sigh in your general direction.
carmenjonze

Re: Violent antidemocrats who are also violently racist.

Post by carmenjonze »

Libertas wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 6:29 pm https://www.bu.edu/articles/2022/are-tr ... -fascists/

In those instances where you cant technically call them fascists, this is what the experts say to call them...

I would like a shorter term for them...THIS is the republican party.
I just call them confederates.

The way to right wrongs is to
Shine the light of truth on them.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by Libertas »

carmenjonze wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 6:32 pm I just call them confederates.
I think maybe "violent confederates." Nah, that is redundant.

OK, works for me.
I sigh in your general direction.
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

Libertas wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 6:34 pm I think maybe "violent confederates." Nah, that is redundant.
Ha, I thought the same thing!

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by ProfX »

Canada Designates 'Neo-Fascist' Proud Boys as Terrorist Entity
https://www.voanews.com/a/americas_cana ... 01577.html

Canada became the first country Wednesday to formally designate the Proud Boys a terrorist entity, according to the nation’s public safety ministry.

The ministry said in a statement the group was "a neo-fascist organization" that "played a pivotal role in the insurrection at the U.S. Capitol" in Washington.

[snip]

“The group and its members have openly encouraged, planned and conducted violent activities against those they perceive to be opposed to their ideology and political beliefs,” the ministry said.

[snip]

During a presidential debate in September 2020 with then-Democratic nominee Joe Biden, then-President Donald Trump urged the Proud Boys to “stand back and stand by” when a moderator asked him to denounce the group.

[snip]

The Canadian government added a total of 13 groups to its terrorism list, including three other neo-Nazi or far-right organizations — The Base, and the Atomwaffen Division, which operate mostly in the U.S., and the Russia-based Russian Imperial Movement, which has operated in Europe, the Middle East and other regions.

[snip][end]

RIM is active right now in the war in the Ukraine. Essentially, it's a neo-Tsarist organization who wants to reorganize Russia into (White Christian) Tsarist Empire.
"Don't believe every quote attributed to people on the Internet" -- Abraham Lincoln :D
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

Q: Whatever you call today’s violent, racist, antidemocratic forces in the United States, are there lessons history offers for thwarting them?

A: You don’t make compromises with them.
^been saying this for a lonnnnnggggggggg time.

No compromise, no "unity," no "civility," none of that garbage.
You have to call these things out. It’s important to call conspiracy theories out and debunk them. It’s a difficult thing to do, but all these things need to be called out. You cannot make alliances with people like this, because these ideas are so corrosive. [They] will swallow you whole. You cannot make idiotic statements like violence is part of democratic discourse.

Conservatives believed they could contain fascists in the interwar period, and seem to think the same thing today. They bear responsibility not only for generating some of the ideas, but for collaborating with, and tolerating, a lot of the violence and racism. I see conservatives walking down a really precarious path, one that will endanger us all.
TBH, this is soft-pedaling it.

Conservatives are not "walking down" some "precarious path." American conservatives are allied with and courting overt, literal fascists, here, and abroad, who are now leaders within mainstream conservatism.

F. all of them. Conservatism is trash. All of it.

~ Ida B. Wells