Labor/Economics

News and events of the day
Libertas

Re: Labor/Economics

Post by Libertas »

Joe is doing a REMARKABLE job, the whole admin is.

Out performing cons in record amounts, and yet it wont matter. 35% are traitors and vote against decent people on purpose, 35% cant tell you what Roe is or why Jan 6 is a thing. Or thereabouts.

Real scary when a democracy is this dumbed down.
I sigh in your general direction.
Motor City

Post by Motor City »

He was missing for two months. Coroners say a plastic shredder was responsible for his death.
A 20-year-old man reported missing two months ago fell into a plastic shredder at the recycling plant where he worked, a South Carolina coroner said.

Duncan Alexander Burrell Gordon, who went by the name Alex, was reported missing in early May from the Industrial Recycling and Recovery plant in Greer, where his father is a supervisor.

Spartanburg County Coroner Rusty Clevenger said Gordon apparently fell into the plastic shredder where he was working May 5.

Clevenger said in a news release Wednesday that the machine was inspected four times, first by Gordon's father. Remains were found during the third search, which included a cadaver dog, he wrote.........
Motor City

Post by Motor City »

https://twitter.com/BernieSanders/statu ... 4191669249
The Dodger Stadium concession workers must receive a fair union contract. If the owners of the Dodgers (worth $8.8 billion) can afford to pay $166 million for one player, they can certainly afford to pay their concession workers a decent wage with decent benefits.
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

Workers con FORGET IT!

Because Bernie and some of his supporters bashed Hillary NON STOP handing us the trump administration and what is now likely the END of our democracy... :evil:
ap215

Post by ap215 »

Inflation surges 9.1% in June, most since November 1981

U.S. consumer prices in June accelerated at the fastest annual pace since November 1981.

The Bureau of Labor Statistics' Consumer Price Index (CPI) reflected a year-over-year increase of 9.1% last month, up from the prior 40-year high of 8.6% in May. Economists were expecting June's reading to show an 8.8% increase, according to estimates compiled by Bloomberg.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/june-cpi ... 33961.html
Motor City

Post by Motor City »

3 days after strike, SKLD Bloomfield Hills nursing home workers file to unionize
Workers at an Oakland County nursing home formally filed to unionize Thursday — three days after they walked off the job in a single-day strike over staffing, resources and unfair labor practices.

The workers at SKLD nursing home in Bloomfield Hills aim to join SEIU Healthcare Michigan, the state's largest health care union.

"We took this step to join together in a union because we care deeply about our patients and residents," said LaVelle Lyght Sr., a licensed nurse practitioner at SKLD Bloomfield Hills, in a statement. We want to ensure they get the high-quality care they deserve,"

"Being able to bring our workplace challenges to the table and having our voices truly heard and respected by management will make such a difference in our day-to-day lives. We’re standing together because our strength is in our numbers, and we need to see immediate change."......
Michigan Medicine nurses rally for new contract, say mandatory overtime needs to end
One after another, nurses from Michigan Medicine asked the University of Michigan Board of Regents Thursday to give them a fair contract.

"Two years ago, they called us heroes," said pediatric ICU nurse Adam Paulsen, referencing U-M officials' words during the COVID-19 pandemic. But now, he continued, the nurses are being offered contract cuts. "I'm not a cost. I'm an investment," he said.

The 6,200 members of the Michigan Nurses Association-University of Michigan Professional Nurse Council, which represents nurses throughout the health system, will see their contract run out at the end of June.

Holding signs and standing as various members talked, the nurses flooded the board meeting. They detailed various issues, including staffing.

Paulsen said his department has been losing one to two nurses a week and doesn't have enough staff to train replacements.

The SKLD Bloomfield Hills facility has between 60 and 80 workers who cared for 140 patients as of June 15, according to a document on the Michigan Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs website.

Workers said they faced retaliation and union-busting tactics from management, including intimidation, interrogation and unreasonable disciplining.........

.....The nurses said in a news release they are asking for:

An end to understaffing through safe and contractually enforceable nurse-to-patient workload ratios.

Fair compensation that recruits and retain nurses and outpaces inflation.

An end to unsafe mandatory overtime.

Administering employment in such a hostile way no matter how bad it hurts patients, people, employees, communities our democracy. The same hostility administered in employment Like a plague across the whole united states. Jobs that are cursed are nothing to brag about creating or maintaining.
Motor City

Post by Motor City »

Court: Legislature unconstitutionally amended minimum wage, sick time petition initiatives
"Once the Legislature adopted the Earned Sick Time Act and the Improved Workforce Opportunity Act, it could not amend the laws within the same legislative session," Shapiro wrote in his 25-page opinion.

"To hold otherwise would effectively thwart the power of the People to initiate laws and then vote on those same laws — a power expressly reserved to the people in the Michigan Constitution."
Michigan court ruling could put $12 minimum wage into effect, require paid sick leave
...The One Fair Wage proposal called for a $12 minimum wage by 2022. The legislature changed it to phase in by 2030.

The judge says that’s a no-go.

“It is a victory for democracy and workers both,” said Saru Jayaraman from One Fair Wage......
also removes the lower wage for restaurant servers and ties the minimum wage to rise with the consumer price index
Motor City

Post by Motor City »

The state of Georgia and local governments are giving Hyundai Motor Group incentives worth $1.8 billion to build electric vehicles in the state
The state of Georgia and local governments are giving $1.8 billion in tax breaks and other incentives to Hyundai Motor Group in exchange for the automaker building its first U.S. plant dedicated to electric vehicles near Savannah, according to the signed agreement disclosed Friday.

The deal calls for Hyundai to invest $5.5 billion in its Georgia plant and hire 8,100 workers. It's the largest economic development deal in the state's history and comes just months after Georgia closed another major deal with electric vehicle maker Rivian to build a factory in the state......
....The package disclosed Friday is worth roughly $300 million more than incentives promised to Rivian. It amounts to Georgia and four counties in the Savannah area giving Hyundai about $228,000 per job created........
......The company will also receive more than $212 million in state income tax credits, at $5,250 per job over five years. If Hyundai didn’t owe that much state corporate income tax, Georgia would instead give the company personal income taxes collected from Hyundai workers........
Wow even get to keep the taxes collected from their workers.

Hyundai subsidiary in Alabama focus of child labor investigation
State labor regulators opened an inquiry after a Reuters report found that children as young as 12 were put to work at the SMART metal stamping factory in Luverne
yuk some of those workers the state taxes and gives to one of the most profitable auto companies in the world could be children
....The news outlet said it learned of underage workers following the brief disappearance of a young girl in Alabama. Police in the town of Enterprise, who helped locate the girl, told Reuters that she and her two siblings had worked at SMART. The girl and her brothers were not attending school, Reuters reported, and had worked at the plant earlier this year. SMART denies knowingly employing minors.....
Exclusive: Hyundai subsidiary has used child labor at Alabama factory
....At a time of U.S. labor shortages and supply chain disruptions, labor experts told Reuters there are heightened risks that children, especially undocumented migrants, could end up in workplaces that are hazardous and illegal for minors.

In Enterprise, home to a bustling poultry industry, Reuters earlier this year chronicled how a Guatemalan minor, who migrated to the United States alone, found work at a local chicken processing plant......
.....Michaels, who is now a professor at George Washington University, said safety at U.S.-based Hyundai suppliers was a recurrent concern at OSHA during his eight years leading the agency until he left in 2017. Michaels visited Korea in 2015, and said he warned Hyundai executives that its heavy demand for "just-in-time" parts was causing safety lapses......
....A Reuters review of the records shows SMART has been assessed with at least $48,515 in OSHA penalties since 2013, and was most recently fined this year. OSHA inspections at SMART have documented violations including crush and amputation hazards at the factory.

The plant, whose website says it has the capacity to supply parts for up to 400,000 vehicles each year, has also had difficulties retaining labor to keep up with Hyundai's demand.

In late 2020, SMART wrote a letter to U.S. consular officials in Mexico seeking a visa for a Mexican worker. The letter, written by SMART General Manager Gary Sport and reviewed by Reuters, said the plant was "severely lacking in labor" and that Hyundai "will not tolerate such shortcomings."..../quote]
Motor City

Post by Motor City »

Farm labor traffickers bribed Georgia government employees, federal agent testifies
A federal agent has testified that Georgia labor officials were bribed by an alleged criminal organization accused of subjecting farmworkers to forced labor and degrading living conditions, including housing dozens in a single-room trailer without safe drinking or cooking water.

In sworn testimony, the Homeland Security Investigations special agent said the bribery was related to farmworker housing inspections. Passing the inspections can be a key requirement of federal approval to bring seasonal farmworkers to the U.S. on temporary visas.

The special agent provided the previously unreported testimony during a sentencing hearing linked to Operation Blooming Onion, one of the largest federal cases ever prosecuted in the U.S. involving labor trafficking of guest farmworkers. So far, the investigation has led to criminal prosecutions against 28 defendants charged with forced labor conspiracy or other crimes.......
“It’s really horrifying to imagine that state officials who are responsible to look out for those workers’ health, responsible to make sure that the law is complied with,” he said, “would instead take money, allegedly, from the employers who allow these workers to suffer abuse and allow these workers to live in really terrible conditions.”
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

Libertas wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 7:47 pm Workers con FORGET IT!

Because Bernie and some of his supporters bashed Hillary NON STOP handing us the trump administration and what is now likely the END of our democracy... :evil:
Bernie was not the problem.

CNN was the problem. Rupert Murdoch was the problem. The Koch Bros were the problem. The Republican Party leadership was the problem. Russia was the problem. The superior Republican outreach was the problem. Apathy regarding the real movement being activated just outside the coverage of Nooz camera lenses was the problem. The failure to take drumpf seriously was the problem. The general apathy afflicting the Democratic Party was the problem. Lousy cyber security was the problem. Lack of understanding of social networks was the problem. The general capitulation to online advertising was the problem. The appeal by a few right wing fringoids to human insecurity was the problem. The failure to recognize the threat was the problem.

Bernie was, at worst, a symptom. I don't even think he was that.
"We must remember that we cannot abandon the truth and remain a free nation." --Liz Cheney, Republican, 7/21/22
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

We will disagree then. (I am not blaming only him or his campaign or his supporters, I am saying it was a part of it) And I hesitate to post any of this because I sincerely dont want to argue with you. I want to save that for the assholes and you are not an asshole...

Bernie went after Hillary so hard for so long, knowing some progressives and POTENTIAL JILL STEIN type voters would NEVER vote for her once he was done and that is exactly what happened. I dont know if he did it in purpose, but all the campaigning he did for her AFTER all that clearly did not make the difference even though she still won what the rest of planet earth calls "the vote," the popular vote.

I guess MOST of his supporters ended up voting for her, but surely not all and even many of the ones who did vote for her made sure everyone around them knew they had to hold their nose to do it. THAT attitude is what causes others to say why bother and vote at all, and we saw a lot of that in swing states like MI where an unusual amount voted straight D ticket and left prez blank, which I thought was the GOP fucking with the vote but apparently not, just people disenchanted with Hillary.

And before anyone accuses me of being a mainstream D party guy :lol: ; My progressive bona fides are the following but I am NOT a progressive, I am a liberal...

1. Universal Health Care is a must

2. All cell towers and internet access is either to be nationalized or have far greater regulation to the point that ALL Americans have access and if they cant afford it, they dont pay

3. Fire every law enforcement person in the country (Fed, State, County, City, SS, etal) and rehire them over a period of approximately 3 yrs so there is no interruption in services, using hiring practices that will weed out (pun intended) as much as possible, violent cops/racist cops .etc.

4. All oil, natural gas and electricity is nationalized or at least, again, regulated far greater than it is now so we are not gouged

5. Voting requires no ID, unless you can do it in a way that does not involve a poll tax which ALL forms of it now do making it unconstitutional

6. And the BIG ONE, eventually common sense dictates no human being or corp or business can OWN EARTH...not just to prevent abuse like Pepsi being able to buy Waikiki Beach or Koch Foundation buying Yellowstone Park (these will all happen if DeSantis and the like take over and get more power) but because it is absurd to own earth. Coops and governments own earth, so to speak and arrange leases. Your family could live in the same house on the same land for generations but you would not OWN the earth.

(while I type this I got an emergency on my phone, fire, evacuations started...I dont disclose where I live but most know I assume...shit, this is far enough away from me but you never know)
Last edited by Libertas on Sat Jul 23, 2022 3:48 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

source

Thanks to Stein’s call for a recount in Michigan, it was revealed that over 70,000 ballots cast in Detroit, Michigan were not counted in the presidential contest.

https://thehill.com/blogs/pundits-blog/ ... ined-from/

I am providing a source for above, I think this happened to a lesser extent in other states. I dont know if this story ended up being verified.

Adding on to what I wrote above, I sat on DU and other political message boards 2015 and 2016 and watched NON STOP bashing of Hillary by people on the left. The media brining up ONE speech she gave to Wall Street as if it is a reason not to trust her. Then that prick COMEY doing what he did, and Russia, all of it YES.

Ask yourself how many people you heard say prior to the election things like they don't trust her but she's the better choice of the two or they don't really like her but they're going to vote for her, I think you heard that a lot and so did people who were on the fence and then decided fuck it why even bother.
Motor City

Post by Motor City »

‘Nobody would choose this’: A turnpike rest area and a van become home for one Maine family
Jeanie Cannell, her husband and his daughter have lived at the Kennebunk travel plaza on the Maine Turnpike for three months, unable to find affordable housing, even though two of them work full-time.

Why do they lie and put out phony reports that lie about our economic system and jobs and dont tell the true nature of what a horror the jobs and economic system are?

Yellen downplays US recession risk as economic reports loom
Treasury Secretary Janet Yellen on Sunday said the U.S. economy is slowing but pointed to healthy hiring as proof that it is not yet in recession.

Yellen spoke on NBC's “Meet the Press” just before a slew of economic reports will be released this week that will shed light on an economy currently besieged by rampant inflation and threatened by higher interest rates. The data will cover sales of new homes, consumer confidence, incomes, spending, inflation, and overall output.....

.......Yellen argued that much of the economy remains healthy: Consumer spending is growing, Americans' finances, on average, are solid, and the economy has added more than 400,000 jobs a month this year, a robust figure. The unemployment rate is 3.6%, near a half-century low.

“We’ve got a very strong labor market,” Yellen said. “This is not an economy that's in recession.".......
Why does Janet Yellen lie about the labor market which is human beings, being very strong given the conditions that so many laborers and unemployed people are living through?
ap215

Post by ap215 »

U.S. consumer confidence near 1-1/2-year low; house prices remain elevated

WASHINGTON, July 26 (Reuters) - U.S. consumer confidence dropped to nearly a 1-1/2-year low in July amid persistent worries about higher inflation and rising interest rates, which could undercut spending, pointing to slower economic growth at the start of the third quarter.

The survey from the Conference Board on Tuesday showed consumers sharply reassessing their spending plans this month, with the share of those polled intending to purchase major appliances like refrigerators and washing machines over the next six months the smallest since the current series began in late 2010.

https://www.reuters.com/markets/us/us-c ... 022-07-26/
Motor City

Post by Motor City »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4n5kmLiT-8
Biden meets with CEOs to deliver remarks about the state of the economy
He meets only with people trapped at one extreme, saturated with money and resources to judge the state of the economy. People trapped at the other extreme with no resources aren't heard from at all, like they dont even exist.
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

They exist when they vote, which is why so much of our current politics seem to be about disenfranchising them.
"We must remember that we cannot abandon the truth and remain a free nation." --Liz Cheney, Republican, 7/21/22
Drak

Post by Drak »

Seung Min Kim @seungminkim
WASHINGTON (AP) — U.S. employers add 528,000 jobs in July as labor market continues to defy raging inflation; unemployment rate 3.5%.

https://twitter.com/seungminkim/status/ ... 2024885249
"Some of those that work forces,
Are the same that burn crosses"

- Rage Against the Machine
bird

Post by bird »

Motor City wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 5:00 pm ‘Nobody would choose this’: A turnpike rest area and a van become home for one Maine family

Why do they lie and put out phony reports that lie about our economic system and jobs and dont tell the true nature of what a horror the jobs and economic system are?

Yellen downplays US recession risk as economic reports loom

Why does Janet Yellen lie about the labor market which is human beings, being very strong given the conditions that so many laborers and unemployed people are living through?
Does she lie? No. What she does do is speak economics-speak. The concept of strong means low unemployment and the amount of workers being sought. Nothing else is implied. That being said economics does not deal in reality. It is theomythology. Capitalism is, imo despite what others may say, a zero-sum game. There are winners and there are losers. When there are a fairly large number of winners who are winners to various degrees there is a tendency for the losers’ situations to degrade more steeply putting a strain on social interaction systems. Thus we can can have the scenario of two worker households not being able to “make ends meet.”

On a related note PE firms and their ilk have been buying housing including apartment complexes and mobile home parks for income streams. Included in the buyers are pension funds.
ap215

Post by ap215 »

So which party does it better on the job front.

Payrolls increased 528,000 in July, much better than expected in a sign of strength for jobs market

Hiring in July was far better than expected, defying multiple other signs that the economic recovery is losing steam, the Bureau of Labor Statistics reported Friday.

Nonfarm payrolls rose 528,000 for the month and the unemployment rate was 3.5%, easily topping the Dow Jones estimates of 258,000 and 3.6%, respectively. The unemployment rate is now back to its pre-pandemic level and tied for the lowest since 1969, though the rate for Blacks rose 0.2 percentage point to 6%.

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/08/05/jobs-re ... 28000.html
Motor City

Post by Motor City »

bird wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:25 am Does she lie? No. What she does do is speak economics-speak. The concept of strong means low unemployment and the amount of workers being sought. Nothing else is implied. That being said economics does not deal in reality. It is theomythology. Capitalism is, imo despite what others may say, a zero-sum game. There are winners and there are losers. When there are a fairly large number of winners who are winners to various degrees there is a tendency for the losers’ situations to degrade more steeply putting a strain on social interaction systems. Thus we can can have the scenario of two worker households not being able to “make ends meet.”

On a related note PE firms and their ilk have been buying housing including apartment complexes and mobile home parks for income streams. Included in the buyers are pension funds.
Yea I get what economic speak is another word for it is lying. The dishonesty of it reminds me of this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-oA3WJsMj8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayj0l8TfmPU

Really not winners or losers because were all connected, the imbalance is reckoned in various plagues, upheavals, and suffering.

The dishonesty about how people are doing in the economic system and the piggybacking on the dishonesty I just cant understand why they do it why do they lie.

https://twitter.com/HillaryClinton/stat ... 9846720512
528,000 jobs in July and a 3.5% unemployment rate.

A historic deal to reduce inflation, invest in health care, and tackle climate change with clean energy.

The fastest decline in gas prices we've seen in a decade.

Thanks, Biden.
Hostile employment administration and the resulting turbulence experienced by working, poor and impoverished people is a crisis that is destroying the country and our democracy yet they still keep talking to us this way.
ap215

Post by ap215 »

Starbucks asks labor board to suspend mail-in ballot union elections, alleging misconduct in voting process

Starbucks is asking the federal labor board to suspend all mail-in ballot union elections nationwide, alleging misconduct in the voting process by the board’s personnel and the union organizing its baristas.

The Seattle-based coffee giant wrote in a letter to the chairman and general counsel of the National Labor Relations Board on Monday that the labor board’s officials acted inappropriately during an election in the Kansas City area and has likely acted similarly in other elections. Starbucks cited a career NLRB professional who approached the company as a whistleblower.

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/08/15/starbuc ... ocess.html
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

ap215 wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 3:39 pm Starbucks asks labor board to suspend mail-in ballot union elections, alleging misconduct in voting process

Starbucks is asking the federal labor board to suspend all mail-in ballot union elections nationwide, alleging misconduct in the voting process by the board’s personnel and the union organizing its baristas.

The Seattle-based coffee giant wrote in a letter to the chairman and general counsel of the National Labor Relations Board on Monday that the labor board’s officials acted inappropriately during an election in the Kansas City area and has likely acted similarly in other elections. Starbucks cited a career NLRB professional who approached the company as a whistleblower.

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/08/15/starbuc ... ocess.html
And also, from a Starbucks Worker's Union person:

Tyler - SBWU California
@UnionTyler

CALIFORNIA JUST WON ITS 15TH STORE, 18TH AND CASTRO IN SAN FRANCISCO!!!!

https://twitter.com/UnionTyler/status/1 ... 7090703360

The way to right wrongs is to
Shine the light of truth on them.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by Number6 »

carmenjonze wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:05 am And also, from a Starbucks Worker's Union person:

Tyler - SBWU California
@UnionTyler

CALIFORNIA JUST WON ITS 15TH STORE, 18TH AND CASTRO IN SAN FRANCISCO!!!!

https://twitter.com/UnionTyler/status/1 ... 7090703360
I can see why companies like Starbucks don't like unions; it's because they hate America. The preamble to the U.S. Constitution supports the idea of a union when the Founders wrote: "We the people of the United States, in order to form a more perfect union, establish justice, insure domestic tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general welfare, and secure the blessings of liberty to ourselves and our posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America."

If you replace "United States" with the company's name you get the same thing but at the company level. You get a company whose workers will work to make the company more successful and the company will work to ensure their workers are treated and compensated well. Of course, that's not the way it works now but the preamble is a set of principles both the company and union can support.
When you vote left, you vote right.
ap215

Post by ap215 »

NLRB Region-15 Wins Injunction Requiring Starbucks to Rehire Seven Unlawfully Fired Workers, Post the Court’s Order, and Cease and Desist from Unlawful Activities

On August 18, 2022, U.S. District Judge Sheryl H. Lipman of the District Court of Western Tennessee issued an injunction requiring Starbucks to reinstate seven unlawfully fired workers, rescind and expunge unlawful discipline issued to an employee, post the Court’s Order and translations in other languages, and cease and desist from unlawful activities.

The injunction was issued based on a petition for temporary injunctive relief filed by Region 15 Regional Director Kathleen McKinney in May. Section 10(j) of the National Labor Relations Act authorizes the National Labor Relations Board to seek injunctions against employers and unions in federal district courts to stop unfair labor practices where, due to the passage of time, the normal Board processes are likely to be inadequate to effectively remedy the alleged violations.

https://www.nlrb.gov/news-outreach/news ... hire-seven
Motor City

Post by Motor City »

UK port workers join rail staff in strikes as prices soar

Almost 2,000 workers at the U.K.'s biggest container port will launch an eight-day strike Sunday over a pay dispute, the latest industrial action to hit the U.K. economy.

Workers including crane drivers and machine operators will walk off their jobs at Felixstowe port on England's east coast, which handles around 4 million containers a year from 2,000 ships......

.....On Friday, most of London's underground subway lines did not run due to a separate strike.........
.....A growing number of unions are planning strikes as Britain faces its worst cost-of-living crisis in decades. Latest figures put inflation at 10.1% — a 40-year-high — and increasing numbers of Britons are struggling to cope with steeply rising energy and food bills as wages fail to catch up with the cost of living.

Postal workers, lawyers, British Telecom staff and garbage collectors have all announced walkouts for later this month......