Better Call Saul

TV, Movies, Music and the Rest!
Drak

Better Call Saul

Post by Drak »

I thought there was a thread on this. If there is, I can't find it, so apologies. But maybe it was on the older board.

We just finished the final the other day. And what a great ending to a spectacular show.

Hands down, one of the best shows I've seen. One of my favorite of all time. I won't give anything away, but it's not easy putting together a spin off from something as highly successful as Breaking Bad and matching or topping it. It had big shoes to fill. But IMO, Vince Gilligan did it. I actually think I like this show is better than Breaking Bad. But that's just my opinion.
"Some of those that work forces,
Are the same that burn crosses"

- Rage Against the Machine
Libertas

Re: Better Call Saul

Post by Libertas »

I loved it.

I have only seen BCS and BB one time each, I have tried to start BB over again a few times and didnt make it, for whatever reason.

Some of what is in the last episode relates to previous episodes like the desert scene.

SPOILER

And the scene with Walter and Jimmy or Saul in that room where he asks him about the time machine the same way he asked Mike in the desert, I am having a hard time remembering what part of BB that relates to. I was also surprised by the way he describes Walter in the two scenes where he tells the story of being taken out to wherever and the blindfold comes off and he sees a grave. I dont recall Walter and Jesse coming off as murderers that Jimmy would be afraid of, but maybe that was only at first as he says. I have to watch it all over again.

I LOVED having Carol Burnett in this season.

Notice Walter's wife was not in it anywhere or mentioned. I wonder if Anna Gunn, who plays his wife, is someone Vince and others want to have on set. I remember seeing a post BB interview of a bunch of them and she came off like someone you might not want to spend time with. Who knows.

And what about these actors, obviously Odenkirk and Rhea, but Giancarlo Esposito, who in real life is a super sweetheart from what we have seen but the character has you shitting your pants each time he comes on screen. Then there is Tony Dalton who plays Lalo, I so believed his character that I googled him and the word "interview" because I had to find out he was really a normal guy, just an actor. I dont know if that makes sense to anyone.

Patrick Fabian and Michael Mando, perfect for the parts, absolutely perfect.

What a show!

Oh, and of course Jonathan Banks. That building the plant underground storyline was just amazing. It SHOULD have been BORING, I mean think about what it was about. This Gilligan and Gould duo is something else!
I sigh in your general direction.
ProfX

Post by ProfX »

I thought Republicans are all against taking down statues. Well, except these ones.

Republicans in New Mexico Are Furious Over ‘Breaking Bad’ Statues: ‘We’re Glorifying Meth Makers’
https://variety.com/2022/tv/news/republ ... 235342968/

They're the two protagonists of the show. Are they "good guys"? No, the show never portrays them as that. (Neither is "Saul Goodman".) But they are the protagonists and we see things from their point of view. Maybe "antiheroes" at best. Dunno, "Animal Kingdom" is about a family of crooks and killers. Not every show has to be a Disney Prince Charming story. Personally, if we're going to talk about the show, maybe we ought to get into the subject of how and why Heisenberg becomes a meth dealer - because he has terrible cancer, he's a teacher who's underpaid, and his insurance won't fully cover his treatments. Hmmm?

Putting up the statues of fictional characters to honor the TV show - which won awards, after all - doesn't "glorify meth dealing". If a statue of Darth Vader was put up to honor the Star Wars films, is that "glorifying the Dark Side of the Force"? :roll:

Republicans are such f'n snowflakes.
"Don't believe every quote attributed to people on the Internet" -- Abraham Lincoln :D
Drak

Post by Drak »

Libertas wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 4:40 pm I loved it.

I have only seen BCS and BB one time each, I have tried to start BB over again a few times and didnt make it, for whatever reason.

Some of what is in the last episode relates to previous episodes like the desert scene.

SPOILER

And the scene with Walter and Jimmy or Saul in that room where he asks him about the time machine the same way he asked Mike in the desert, I am having a hard time remembering what part of BB that relates to. I was also surprised by the way he describes Walter in the two scenes where he tells the story of being taken out to wherever and the blindfold comes off and he sees a grave. I dont recall Walter and Jesse coming off as murderers that Jimmy would be afraid of, but maybe that was only at first as he says. I have to watch it all over again.

I LOVED having Carol Burnett in this season.

Notice Walter's wife was not in it anywhere or mentioned. I wonder if Anna Gunn, who plays his wife, is someone Vince and others want to have on set. I remember seeing a post BB interview of a bunch of them and she came off like someone you might not want to spend time with. Who knows.

And what about these actors, obviously Odenkirk and Rhea, but Giancarlo Esposito, who in real life is a super sweetheart from what we have seen but the character has you shitting your pants each time he comes on screen. Then there is Tony Dalton who plays Lalo, I so believed his character that I googled him and the word "interview" because I had to find out he was really a normal guy, just an actor. I dont know if that makes sense to anyone.

Patrick Fabian and Michael Mando, perfect for the parts, absolutely perfect.

What a show!

Oh, and of course Jonathan Banks. That building the plant underground storyline was just amazing. It SHOULD have been BORING, I mean think about what it was about. This Gilligan and Gould duo is something else!
I think the time machine reference is just about regrets and pondering about making different choices. I haven’t seen Breaking Bad in such a long time that I’ve also forgotten a lot. I thought about watching it again but haven’t gotten around to it. Maybe I’ll do that this fall.

Drak

Post by Drak »

Here's Gould and Odenkirk on the Time Machine bit, from IGN

https://www.ign.com/articles/better-cal ... eter-gould
What Would You Do if You Had a Time Machine?
Throughout the finale's various flashbacks, Saul asks Mike and Walter what they would change about their lives if each of them had their very own time machine. While Walt scoffed at the idea as pure lunacy, both men shared unique stories about significant points in their lives -- Mike mentions the very first time he took a bribe, while Walt regrets letting his friends profit from his scientific findings.

We asked Gould about the significance of the time machine question. "So much of the show is about what might have been," he answered. "What are the choices that these characters make? And just as Bob was saying, you're screaming at them, 'go the other way, please just wake up.' But the truth is that a lot of us spend our lives doing things because we want to, or because something in us causes us to do them. It's a hard thing to examine yourself and examine your actions and take charge of them. I think the time machine was a way to think about that."

While Jimmy's responses to the time travel question are both shallow, Odenkirk believes his character would give a different answer if asked the same question at the end of the episode.

I think [Saul] always knew better, and that's why I love the ending.