PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:36 am 
Board Emeritus

What animation program do you use GOU?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:00 pm 
Board Emeritus

What animation program do you use GOU?

GoU, too slow-u.

5 Free Apps and Sites for Creating Short Animations

No, seriously, it is unlikely that there exists a single program that can do everything one needs to do in order to create something that even approximates their desired animations.

Without even looking more deeply, can say with considerable confidence that in order to transcend this bottleneck, it is necessary to be able to create and/or locate algorithms that will properly transform files to work in several different animation applications.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:37 pm 
Board Emeritus

I use Adobe Creative Cloud for everything. Work in Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Premiere and AfterEffects.

But you can do cool stuff with a number of apps, such as Canva and Adobe Spark.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:23 pm 
Board Emeritus

I use Adobe Creative Cloud for everything. Work in Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Premiere and AfterEffects.

But you can do cool stuff with a number of apps, such as Canva and Adobe Spark.

Nice same here. Mostly Animate, Premiere and AE.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:30 pm 
Board Emeritus

Oh sure, a thousand dollars for the Adobe Suite.

Yep, it's a good platform to work on.

However, real nerds use GIMP.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:00 pm 
Board Emeritus

Oh sure, a thousand dollars for the Adobe Suite.

Yep, it's a good platform to work on.

However, real nerds use GIMP.

First, it was $2500 for the Suite, a grand for the yearly update. Now, it's a subscription service, $50 a month, and it's constantly updated.

Don't really care what nerds use. I've used the Adobe products for decades. I think my first use of Photoshop was 2.5.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:28 pm 
Board Emeritus

I have so damned many hobbies and interests it isn't funny. I love history, and love doing art, video and animation on my computer. Into museums and music. Working on losing some pounds and buying another bicycle. When I retire I plan to move to a college town, take lots of classes and go to theater, concerts and music festivals.

I can envision you doing what my dad did. Finding without looking something you discover you are passionate about, then excelling at it. For him it was raising money for charity. For you probably something simular, some field where what you do benefits others.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:29 pm 
Board Emeritus

Attachment:
20863667_10208051755730288_3556527475440357791_o.jpg
Photography. Mostly stills, but now I am beginning to explore video, and I've made a few short videos of places nearby that I've posted on youtube. Nothing great, I have no formal training in filmmaking, but it's fun and relaxing and gets me out of the house. I've been doing still photography since before high school, and took serious photography classes for two years in high school, in a trade school. I still keep in touch with my photography teacher who is still a wild and crazy guy.
Though trained in film , mostly B&W, which I love as a medium, the evolution to digital has been great for getting me back into it. I take a camera of some kind everywhere I go, even if I don't have a chance to use it.
It beats going to church.

Those are very good. Especially the birds.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:31 pm 
Board Emeritus

GoU, too slow-u.

5 Free Apps and Sites for Creating Short Animations

No, seriously, it is unlikely that there exists a single program that can do everything one needs to do in order to create something that even approximates their desired animations.

Without even looking more deeply, can say with considerable confidence that in order to transcend this bottleneck, it is necessary to be able to create and/or locate algorithms that will properly transform files to work in several different animation applications.

My wife is an excellent artist. My son in law a professional artist and animator. The difference in their work is night and day.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:38 pm 
Board Emeritus

My wife is an excellent artist. My son in law a professional artist and animator. The difference in their work is night and day.

Your son-in-law directs a team of professional artists, which tends to be quite different from what an individual does in their studio, alone.

Also, in case you hadn't yet heard, serious fine artists more-or-less loath all these MFA's calling themselves artists. It's a rough dichotomy, especially seeing as how it looks to me that so many folks are doing such outstanding work, no matter their background.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:46 pm 
Board Emeritus

For the record, I don't pretend to be a serious or professional artist. I just enjoy it.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:09 pm 
Board Emeritus

Not to sound like the old fart, but I miss cels, paint you bought in quantity at Cartoon Color, and working bent over an Acme disk for far too many hours a day. I miss sprocket holes, intermittent movements, cameras with registration pins, and waiting for dailies. I miss using technology that hadn't changed in any basic way since the 1930s, and which therefore didn't require that you chuck everything you ever learned on the tech side every 6 years or so.

I don't do digital animation. I have the hardware to handle real commercial grade stuff, but it's not what I'm into. I'll leave it to Pixar and whoever.

I've pretty much committed to the still image, rendered in whatever medium and displayed all at once. For one thing, it's harder.

Financial planning is a lot simpler when Creative Cloud costs ~10 bucks a month. The aggregate cost is about what I was already spending updating Photoshop etc every two years. Of course you don't get Lightroom for that any more, but then if you're not shooting weddings you don't miss it much. I have it from two or three versions ago, and never use it.

BTW I'm not an MFA playing art, nor do I experiment. If you see a product, then it is finished with full artistic rigor, in the context of Euro-American art history, as an exploration of an ongoing dialog. While its creation is fun, it can involve phases that feel quite a bit like self-flagellation, which is not my scene. After all that agony, I'm done, as much as art is ever done, and it is the viewer's turn to experiment.

Even better if they want to buy it.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:04 pm 
Policy Wonk

gounion wrote:
For the record, I don't pretend to be a serious or professional artist. I just enjoy it.

like Edward G. in Scarlett Street

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:18 pm 
Board Emeritus

like Edward G. in Scarlett Street

Had to look that up. Oh, LORD NO!!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:33 pm 
Policy Wonk

gounion wrote:
Had to look that up. Oh, LORD NO!!!!!!!!!

oh I didnt mean it as an insult just that he was modest about his artwork too, he was so modest even after finding out his artwork was displayed in a gallery and someone else taking credit as the painter he still didnt let on that was his work.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:29 pm 
Site Admin

I have so damned many hobbies and interests it isn't funny. I love history, and love doing art, video and animation on my computer. Into museums and music. Working on losing some pounds and buying another bicycle. When I retire I plan to move to a college town, take lots of classes and go to theater, concerts and music festivals.

Wanna move back and take my classes???

Seriously, I'm the same way. But during a semester I have little time to explore any interests, including politics, these days. I plan on spending next summer with the kids in the pool, with a good book - that's my real passion!

-P

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:30 pm 
Board Emeritus

Wanna move back and take my classes???

Seriously, I'm the same way. But during a semester I have little time to explore any interests, including politics, these days. I plan on spending next summer with the kids in the pool, with a good book - that's my real passion!

-P

And take CHEMISTRY? Are you INSANE??? I know what happens when you mess with chemistry. I've seen Wile E. Coyote blow himself up too many times.

Nah, I'd mostly take history, probably. Maybe creative writing.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:44 pm 
Board Emeritus

You know what used to be fun but isn't anymore? Video games.

I used to be the managing editor of a video game site back in the late 90's early 2000's. I loved video games back then. I spent hours in my 20's playing Doom, EverQuest, Quake, Baldur's Gate, Wolfenstein, whatever. We have a number of gaming systems in the house (PS4, Xbox). I played Fallout 4 for a bit, tried the new Resident Evil (which scared the crap out of me). But I no longer have much of an interest. I end up putting them down and not coming back. I haven't booted up my PS4 in months. Last game I played on the Ps4 was South Park Stick of Truth but I got bored pretty fast. I downloaded Total War Warhammer 2 the other day and just couldn't get into it.

I'd rather spend my time creating stuff over playing video games. Must be age related.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:54 pm 
Board Emeritus

You know what used to be fun but isn't anymore? Video games.

I used to be the managing editor of a video game site back in the late 90's early 2000's. I loved video games back then. I spent hours in my 20's playing Doom, EverQuest, Quake, Baldur's Gate, Wolfenstein, whatever. We have a number of gaming systems in the house (PS4, Xbox). I played Fallout 4 for a bit, tried the new Resident Evil (which scared the crap out of me). But I no longer have much of an interest. I end up putting them down and not coming back. I haven't booted up my PS4 in months. Last game I played on the Ps4 was South Park Stick of Truth but I got bored pretty fast. I downloaded Total War Warhammer 2 the other day and just couldn't get into it.

I'd rather spend my time creating stuff over playing video games. Must be age related.

I burned out on video games a couple years after the Atari game consoles came out (late 70's). Never did really get back into it and still don't find it all that interesting, though lately I do spend a fair amount of time overseeing activities in Minecraft, and so on.

Writing code is more interesting, of course.

Figuring out how to beat other peoples algorithms on a joy stick, not so much.

However, I do sometimes find math and logic puzzle apps to be fun and interesting.

Of course, fun time for me is learning new maths, so it makes sense that I'd like those sort of apps. Always like figuring out how things work.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:19 pm 
Board Emeritus

fun?...in merica?...ha.

this weekend for my pleasure the news is being shut off so prezpussiegrabber has no oxygen.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:29 am 
Policy Wonk

What do I do for fun?

Well, I have a lot of fun at work, so that starts my day off right.
I play in a two bands. I listen to music nearly every waking minute.
I've been "gut rehabbing" this old house I live in, a room at a time. I enjoy that kind of stuff.
I read as much as I can, both fiction and nonfiction. I work out a bit every day, and I'm just starting to get into yoga.
I enjoy raising my daughter, and all the good times our little family has.
Last, but not least, I actually enjoy political discussion, rants, tirades, all of it.