RadioFreeLiberal.com

Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:53 am 
Policy Wonk

Semi retiring. Turned in my work phone and have so far lived up to my plan on doing without. ( already installed a wall phone with a 150ft. cord in the shop.)

First observation: There's a serious lack of clocks out public nowadays. i hope santa brings me the wrist watch i ordered.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:18 am 
Board Emeritus

I understand you going with the wall phone with a 150ft cord in the shop instead of one of those wireless wall phones. The wire is so you can find the hand set again after you've set it down somewhere. About 150ft is the distance you can pace before you have to stop talking and start untangling the wire from the shop stuff.

I would need a longer wire, my shop is a 60 x 100, and like I said, a wireless hand set would just get lost. So I just do without a phone in the shop. If I really needed to I could grab the cell phone my wife insists I have in the car glove box, turned of, in case of trouble. Like I've died and need to call someone to tell them I've died.

I could grab and lose it.

When people ask for my cell number I have to tell them I don't know its number. Because I don't know its number. Then I tell them that it's moot anyway because if they did call it, it would be off, so I wouldn't answer it anyway.

Every time when I turn it on so I can see what time it is, there are missed calls it asks me about. About one or two a day. They are never numbers I recognize. So I tell it I'll view them later but never do view them later, then the phone tells me what time it is, and I turn it off again.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:44 pm 
Board Emeritus

Semi retiring. Turned in my work phone and have so far lived up to my plan on doing without. ( already installed a wall phone with a 150ft. cord in the shop.)

First observation: There's a serious lack of clocks out public nowadays. i hope santa brings me the wrist watch i ordered.

You could buy a cordless phone/answering system that comes with a couple of handsets which you could put around the shop. Each handset has it's own charging base and if you misplace a handset you can go the the master control and hit the button that rings all the handsets which will tell you where the phone is. Also, with the answering system you can screen the calls without having to interrupt your work.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:36 am 
Policy Wonk

i may have exaggerated the length of the cord. ;)

i tire of it. 35-40 years of being tied at the hip to a work cell phone. Always on call. Always willing to drop everything to attend to the cause be it work or family. i watch these new phones that are supposed to make life easier and can't help but see how "wired" it's actually becoming. Don't knows if i care for it.

i may eventually bow to my wife's wishes to carry a simple cell for emergencies. (it's her only point i can't counter. Do they still sell beepers?) i may even eventually put the second wireless receiver phone that she keeps in a drawer and hook it up in the shop. But for now, i'm going to take some quality time ever few days to untangle a cord that's supposed to reach 150ft. and reminisce. i hear tell ya can special order rotary phones that'll work in this digital age. 8-)

Second observation: We talk more. We plan...........better? i have a better idea of where, and what, those around me are doing now that they are not always a cell call away. i tend to think about those closest to me more and more during the day.