Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:36 pm 
Board Emeritus

You guys sure know how to pick'em. Via HuffPo:

When Joe Arpaio, the former Maricopa County sheriff, announced his Senate candidacy on Tuesday, he became the fourth viable Republican 2018 congressional candidate who’s been convicted of a crime. And like two of the other GOP cons running for office, he has cited his criminal record as a partial justification for his candidacy.

Arpaio was convicted of misdemeanor criminal contempt of court in July 2017 for defying a court order requiring him to stop illegally detaining people he suspected of being undocumented immigrants based on their race. President Donald Trump pardoned him one month later.

The other convicted criminals running for office as Republicans are Don Blankenship, the former head of the coal mining company Massey Energy who is running in the Republican primary to challenge Sen. Joe Manchin (D-W.Va.); former Rep. Michael Grimm, who is challenging incumbent Rep. Dan Donovan (R-N.Y.) to reclaim the Staten Island congressional seat he once held; and Rep. Greg Gianforte (R-Mont.), who is running for re-election.

Don Blankenship is running for Senate in West Virginia as a Republican after serving a one-year sentence in prison for conspiracy to evade mine safety laws that led to the deaths of 29 miners.

Blankenship served one year in prison on a misdemeanor conviction for conspiring to evade safety laws after the death of 29 miners at his Upper Big Branch Mine in 2010. Grimm, a former FBI agent, pleaded guilty to felony tax evasion in 2014. And last year, Gianforte also pleaded guilty to misdemeanor assault for body-slamming a reporter days before winning a 2017 special election. So far, the national Republican Party has said it supports Donovan over Grimm, but it is also backing Gianforte, who is the only one of these convicted candidates currently in office. The party has not endorsed anyone in either West Virginia or Arizona.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:00 pm 
Policy Wonk

Can we RICO the Republican Party?

Glenfs posted about the Left's War On Women. Glenfs posted this after the Cosby Verdict "Gloria Allred is a media hound and an asshole. The most dangerous place to be is inbetween her and a microphone or camera". 04/27/2018.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:55 pm 
Board Emeritus

No!

But we can defy gravity.

www.youtube.com Video from : www.youtube.com

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:23 pm 
Board Emeritus

Yes.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:11 pm 
Board Emeritus

You guys sure know how to pick'em. Via HuffPo:

When Joe Arpaio, the former Maricopa County sheriff, announced his Senate candidacy on Tuesday, he became the fourth viable Republican 2018 congressional candidate who’s been convicted of a crime. And like two of the other GOP cons running for office, he has cited his criminal record as a partial justification for his candidacy.

Arpaio was convicted of misdemeanor criminal contempt of court in July 2017 for defying a court order requiring him to stop illegally detaining people he suspected of being undocumented immigrants based on their race. President Donald Trump pardoned him one month later.

The other convicted criminals running for office as Republicans are Don Blankenship, the former head of the coal mining company Massey Energy who is running in the Republican primary to challenge Sen. Joe Manchin (D-W.Va.); former Rep. Michael Grimm, who is challenging incumbent Rep. Dan Donovan (R-N.Y.) to reclaim the Staten Island congressional seat he once held; and Rep. Greg Gianforte (R-Mont.), who is running for re-election.

Don Blankenship is running for Senate in West Virginia as a Republican after serving a one-year sentence in prison for conspiracy to evade mine safety laws that led to the deaths of 29 miners.

Blankenship served one year in prison on a misdemeanor conviction for conspiring to evade safety laws after the death of 29 miners at his Upper Big Branch Mine in 2010. Grimm, a former FBI agent, pleaded guilty to felony tax evasion in 2014. And last year, Gianforte also pleaded guilty to misdemeanor assault for body-slamming a reporter days before winning a 2017 special election. So far, the national Republican Party has said it supports Donovan over Grimm, but it is also backing Gianforte, who is the only one of these convicted candidates currently in office. The party has not endorsed anyone in either West Virginia or Arizona.

There is one Democrat running for elective office in New Mexico who was convicted of stalking.
From your link:
Quote:
The only Democrat with a record running for office is David Alcorn, convicted of stalking, who is one of nine candidates for the party’s nomination in New Mexico’s 2nd Congressional District. The Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee would not support Alcorn, saying “he is not fit to run for office.”

I applaud the for not supporting Alcorn. I have no doubt the republicans will support the above republicans.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:31 pm 
Board Emeritus

Location: Treasure Coast, Florida & Fairfield County, Connecticut
:arrow: Typical of the RepubliCON Party!!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:07 pm 
Board Emeritus

There is one Democrat running for elective office in New Mexico who was convicted of stalking.
From your link:

I applaud the for not supporting Alcorn. I have no doubt the republicans will support the above republicans.

And now the Democratic party has another one who's got a record and is running for office.

I hope everyone ignores Chelsea Manning, maybe she'll go away. Why doesn't she pick on the Libertarians?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:58 pm 
Policy Wonk

Only 4? And how many holding office.

If it's not all of them, then what has the Justice Dept been doing.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:58 pm 
Board Emeritus

And now the Democratic party has another one who's got a record and is running for office.

I hope everyone ignores Chelsea Manning, maybe she'll go away. Why doesn't she pick on the Libertarians?

I hope the Maryland Democratic will denounce her and refuse any support.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:29 pm 
Board Emeritus

I hope the Maryland Democratic will denounce her and refuse any support.

She's not running against a Republican, she's running against Ben Cardin who already holds that seat, if she were to win the primary she'd lose the general election and then we'd lose a seat. As far as I'm concerned she's like the other one, been dabbling in witchcraft. I hope they watch what she does with campaign cash like a hawk, and bust her chops if she tries to convert campaign cash into personal cash, like that other one did.

Ben "Cardin is considered one of the more liberal members of the Senate, generally siding with his party on all major issues." --wiki

My only complaint about Cardin is he self identifies as an ardent Zionist. Other than that he's quite liberal.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:42 pm 
Board Emeritus

I self identify as a liberal and an ardent Zionist. :D

Yeah, I know, people see the contradiction, I don't.

Progressive, left-wing Labour Zionism isn't illiberal. :D

(I'm not saying right-wing forces aren't ruling Israel right now -- I am saying they don't represent Zionism as a whole, anymore than Trumpism represents Americanism as a whole.)

It's weird that people think "Zionism" is monolithic, when like many other ideologies - say Feminism or conservativism - it has different varieties and schools of thought.

If there was a political party in Israel that best represented my point of view (don't live or vote there), I would say it's Meretz. After that, Labour.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meretz

Anyway, here in the U.S. I support J Street and the National Jewish Democratic Council (NJDC).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J_Street
http://www.njdc.org

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:14 pm 
Board Emeritus

She's not running against a Republican, she's running against Ben Cardin who already holds that seat, if she were to win the primary she'd lose the general election and then we'd lose a seat. As far as I'm concerned she's like the other one, been dabbling in witchcraft. I hope they watch what she does with campaign cash like a hawk, and bust her chops if she tries to convert campaign cash into personal cash, like that other one did.

Ben "Cardin is considered one of the more liberal members of the Senate, generally siding with his party on all major issues." --wiki

My only complaint about Cardin is he self identifies as an ardent Zionist. Other than that he's quite liberal.

I realize she's running against Cardin in the primary and not republicans. My point is the Democratic Party of Maryland should denounce her and nor provide her any support they would normally provide to any Democratic candidate in a primary.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:52 pm 
Board Emeritus

I realize she's running against Cardin in the primary and not republicans. My point is the Democratic Party of Maryland should denounce her and nor provide her any support they would normally provide to any Democratic candidate in a primary.

I don't think that's the way it works unless the seat is held by a Republican or is open. If the seat is held by a party incumbent the party shuns and gives an ice cold shoulder to anyone who tried to pick them off in a primary.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:54 pm 
Board Emeritus

I self identify as a liberal and an ardent Zionist. :D

Yeah, I know, people see the contradiction, I don't.

Progressive, left-wing Labour Zionism isn't illiberal. :D

(I'm not saying right-wing forces aren't ruling Israel right now -- I am saying they don't represent Zionism as a whole, anymore than Trumpism represents Americanism as a whole.)

It's weird that people think "Zionism" is monolithic, when like many other ideologies - say Feminism or conservativism - it has different varieties and schools of thought.

If there was a political party in Israel that best represented my point of view (don't live or vote there), I would say it's Meretz. After that, Labour.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meretz

Anyway, here in the U.S. I support J Street and the National Jewish Democratic Council (NJDC).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J_Street
http://www.njdc.org

:) I saw that in his wiki page and I thought I would see if you were awake.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:06 am 
Board Emeritus

I just saw Chelsea Manning's first campaign ad. It was kind of creepy.

[BBvideo 425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=4&v=RAXo1Y7AK_I[/BBvideo]

Oh dang, it won't embed it's age restricted, here's the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... AXo1Y7AK_I

She kind of reminds me of that Sara Connors character in the Terminator movies, not the first movie, I mean the second movie when she was crazy. I have no idea why she chose to say she's a Democrat, maybe she flipped a coin.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:46 am 
Board Emeritus

No!

I think what's really banging around in Sam's head is "I hope not."

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:47 am 
Board Emeritus

I just saw Chelsea Manning's first campaign ad. It was kind of creepy.

[BBvideo 425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=4&v=RAXo1Y7AK_I[/BBvideo]

Oh dang, it won't embed it's age restricted, here's the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... AXo1Y7AK_I

She kind of reminds me of that Sara Connors character in the Terminator movies, not the first movie, I mean the second movie when she was crazy. I have no idea why she chose to say she's a Democrat, maybe she flipped a coin.

Those creepy transgender types, eh Sam?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:09 am 
Board Emeritus

Good enough for me...

www.youtube.com Video from : www.youtube.com

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:04 pm 
Board Emeritus

Those creepy transgender types, eh Sam?

No, that ad is creepy.

Kicking off with an ad hominem assault early today Ike. Gonna give em hell.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:12 pm 
Board Emeritus

No, that ad is creepy.

Kicking off with an ad hominem assault early today Ike. Gonna give em hell.

I watched the ad. What makes it creepy?

And I consider Chelsea Manning a hero whistleblower, not a criminal. She went to prison for her principles.

Sometimes, a prison record isn't a badge of shame, it's a badge of honor. We should all remember that on this day of all days, the day honoring jailbird Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:10 pm 
Board Emeritus

And I consider Chelsea Manning a hero whistleblower, not a criminal. She went to prison for her principles.

Sometimes, a prison record isn't a badge of shame, it's a badge of honor. We should all remember that on this day of all days, the day honoring jailbird Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Who did she blow the whistle on?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:24 pm 
Board Emeritus

I don't consider the ad creepy but it's not an ad that, IMO, moves me to consider her as a person who should be in the Senate. It appears to be amateurish and homemade with no specific target audience. IOW, ineffective.