It is currently Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:13 pm 
Board Emeritus

http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-col ... t12aH-2gp2

Quote:
With more people rejecting traditional sources of information and the internet giving rise to a variety of alternative worldviews, the granddaddy of all conspiracy theories is enjoying a renaissance and Colorado is the epicenter.

Thousands of YouTube videos claim the world is flat, gravity is uncertain, space is fake and the curvature of the planet is an optical illusion. Followers say this ruse is perpetuated by a powerful cabal determined to make humans feel small and powerless.

A conspiratorial mind-set and a deep current of religious ideology permeate the movement, which preaches that Earth was created by design, not by accident. As evidence of its shape, some reference Bible verses touting “the four corners of the Earth,” “foundations of the Earth” and Earth being God’s “footstool.”

Many of the most popular flat Earth videos come out of Colorado, host of next year’s Flat Earth International Conference along with the Colorado International Flat Earth Film Festival.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:09 pm 
Board Emeritus

Everyone knows the Earth is a hollow sphere, and we live on the inside. Get with the times, people.

My favorite quote from these numbnuts: "gravity is uncertain".

Really? I have an experiment for you. It involves the Empire State building, and a test involving your body.

I kid, I kid.

The guy who thought the sun was only 3000 miles away.

*sigh*

Why Colorado? I always thought the folks there were sensible. And no, these long-term delusions cannot be blamed on cannabis.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:29 pm 
Board Emeritus

Everyone knows the Earth is a hollow sphere, and we live on the inside. Get with the times, people.

My favorite quote from these numbnuts: "gravity is uncertain".

Really? I have an experiment for you. It involves the Empire State building, and a test involving your body.

I kid, I kid.

The guy who thought the sun was only 3000 miles away.

*sigh*

Why Colorado? I always thought the folks there were sensible. And no, these long-term delusions cannot be blamed on cannabis.

I like the line and title of a Star Trek episode: "For the world is hallow and I have touched the sky."

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:23 pm 
Policy Wonk

couldn't be completely flat cause there's oceans and mountains at best would be at least half round.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:48 pm 
Board Emeritus

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:52 pm 
Board Emeritus

is there a wall holding the water along the edge?

im betting this emanates from "heavens gate" area...N of CS heading toward monument hill.
either than or..its down in Mancos area where the inbreeding of mormons and sundry other
out of orbit cults are hiding out. there is a leg of the crazy child raping welfare thieving LDS
UT/AZ colorado city border area in mancos.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:06 pm 
Board Emeritus

I have a theory of my own. Push back only enhances the appeal of the Flat Earth theory. Feeds those trolls. They're not for real, they're playing the old exciting game of outrage.

My response to them, and I have indeed encountered them in RL, is:

Yawn!

It's round about about nap time.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:27 pm 
Board Emeritus

thats great sam and i agree except these fucks are annoying and its not a game to them.
the LDS doesnt game...they want the great basin to sell to mining.
SLC-LDS rules the basin for some fuck reason they bought. hatch etc.

so anyhow if it is them behind this stupid shit it can ONLY be a political game for mining rights.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:45 pm 
Board Emeritus

Actually the world as we know it as well as all of you do not exist. You along with World History is just part of a dream I am having. In a few hours I will be waking up and all of you will no longer exist. I have to quit eating before bedtime.

"within weeks of being rid of the likes of you, rid of every fucking one of you,we would begin to see what kind of country this ought to be" Ike Bana 6/14/18

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:23 am 
Board Emeritus

And most of these nuts voted for Donald Trump... Human Beings have the ability to deny reality and to believe in things that aren't real at all. Think religion.

Back in the eighties, I heard about the Men Will Never Fly Society. They have fun with this human failing. Info:

The Man Will Never Fly Memorial Society was formed in 1959 with the motto, "Birds Fly-Men Drink." Each year the society holds a party beginning the afternoon of 16 December and ending at 10:45 a.m. on 17 December, the exact time of what the society refers to as "the Wright Brothers alleged first flight." During the evening program-which one writer described as the break between the cocktail party and the drinking that follows-the group has, on occasion, presented antiaviation awards to groups or individuals who the members feel have done the most to deter the advance of aviation. Many of the society members are pilots.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:38 pm 
Board Emeritus

Given what I know about pilot humor, I would think that this fits right in.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:43 pm 
Board Emeritus

dumb bigots

Stop calling the cops on us.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:32 pm 
Policy Wonk

is there a wall holding the water along the edge?

im betting this emanates from "heavens gate" area...N of CS heading toward monument hill.
either than or..its down in Mancos area where the inbreeding of mormons and sundry other
out of orbit cults are hiding out. there is a leg of the crazy child raping welfare thieving LDS
UT/AZ colorado city border area in mancos.

looks kind of like a boardgame

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/13/Orlando-Ferguson-flat-earth-map_edit.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flat_Earth

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:25 pm 
Board Emeritus

Wiki:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flat_Earth

Quote:
The solar eclipse of August 21, 2017, gave rise to numerous YouTube videos purporting to show how the details of the eclipse prove the earth is flat.[152][153] Also in 2017, a scandal developed in Arab scientific and educational circles when a Tunisian PhD student submitted a thesis declaring Earth to be flat, unmoving, the center of the universe, and only 13,500 years of age.[154]

I wonder if that thesis ever got to oral defense. I'd have given a lot to be a fly on the wall at that one.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:20 pm 
Board Emeritus

That "map" (which seems to be kind of concave rather than "flat" per se) looks like a roulette wheel, mostly.

https://www.livescience.com/14754-ingen ... d-map.html

"Ferguson was trying to make an updated version of the flat Earth theory to fit the biblical description of the Earth with known facts," Bingham said. Typical of flat Earths, Ferguson's Earth is a rectangular slab, the four corners of which are each guarded by an angel. "What makes his flat Earth different from other theories is his theory holds that the Earth is imprinted with an 'inverse toroid.'" If you were to take a donut and press it into wet cement and then remove the donut, Bingham explained, the rounded impression it left in the cement would be what is known in mathematics as an inverse toroid.

[snip][end]

So, the Earth is a donut. It all makes sense.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:24 pm 
Policy Wonk

maybe like tron in a video game or program

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:47 pm 
Board Emeritus

these, our, young, dumb fuckers grow up not knowing a thing about Buckminster Fuller.
the geo desic map.

here's the flat earth map. it wasnt done for cult religey purpose but to show the earth. flat.

https://www.bfi.org/about-fuller/big-id ... maxion-map
Also know as the "Dymaxion Map," the Fuller Projection Map is the only flat map of the entire surface of the Earth which reveals our planet as one island in one ocean, without any visually obvious distortion of the relative shapes and sizes of the land areas, and without splitting any continents. It was developed by R. Buckminster Fuller who "By 1954, after working on the map for several decades," finally realized a "satisfactory deck plan of the six and one half sextillion tons Spaceship Earth."

Traditional world maps reinforce the elements that separate humanity and fail to highlight the patterns and relationships emerging from the ever evolving and accelerating process of globalization. Instead of serving as "a precise means for seeing the world from the dynamic, cosmic and comprehensive viewpoint," the maps we use still cause humanity to "appear inherently disassociated, remote, self-interestedly preoccupied with the political concept of its got to be you or me; there is not enough for both."

All flat world map representations of the spherical globe contain some amount of distortion either in shape, area, distance or direction measurements. On the well-known Mercator world map, Greenland appears to be three times its relative globe size and Antarctica appears as a long thin white strip along the bottom edge of the map. Even the popular Robinson Projection, now used in many schools, still contains a large amount of area distortion with Greenland appearing 60 percent larger than its relative globe size.

Fuller's view was that given a way to visualize the whole planet with greater accuracy, we humans will be better equipped to address challenges as we face our common future aboard Spaceship Earth.

The word Dymaxion, Spaceship Earth and the Fuller Projection Map are trademarks of the Buckminster Fuller Institute. All rights reserved.

try this you flat freaks. its ALL here and its ALL flat.
http://www3.mpifr-bonn.mpg.de/div/vlbi/ ... /earth.png

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:01 pm 
Board Emeritus

I have that Dymaxion Map framed on my wall. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:06 pm 
Board Emeritus

I have that Dymaxion Map framed on my wall. :mrgreen:

:hnk:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:34 am 
Board Emeritus

:lol:

Stop calling the cops on us.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:42 am 
Policy Wonk

https://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/index.html#public

they could tune in here to see it anytime

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:48 am 
Board Emeritus

That, like the Moon Landing, is clearly all lies, all lies. Sheeple. The moon landing was fake and those shots of the spherical Earth rising -- CSM and Kubrick did it all.

Anyway, in the state of FL in Lee County was the community of the Koreshans, which you can visit, there's a historical marker in Estero. The cult that lived there is gone. But they believed what I said -- the Earth was hollow (that is around in other places), but also that we lived on the inside (likewise, even some Nazis also believed this). The sun in the sky and everything else we see is actually inside the Earth.

Yeah, I know. Crazy stuff.

Anyway, I have a bunch of Buckminster Fuller's books, including Operating Manual for Spaceship Earth. Might be his best. Every time you walk into EPCOT, there it is ... Spaceship Earth. First thing you see on the way in. (It is a sphere!) Except, is it two of Fuller's geodesic domes, or is it just the AT & T "death star" logo made into a large sphere? And as you ride the ride on the inside, is it trying to tell a story of how communications have advanced civilization over time, or is it basically propaganda for how technology corporations like AT & T are always and everywhere making our lives better? Sit back, enjoy the ride, don't fear the death star. Welcome our technological corporate overlords, and enjoy the vinyl leaves. Every EPCOT ride has a corporate sponsor. Walt Disney was a futurist, but he was also a bit of an anti-Semitic butthole. Even his utopian future ... well like so many utopias, we may not all agree on a perfect future. His is very corporate. Well, it's not like Disney Corp. itself is a nonprofit cooperative.

When you ride the People Mover or the monorail at Disney World ... grok that that was Disney's vision of future transportation. Electric aboveground rail. We should all be riding monorails everywhere (so he hoped, anyway.) EPCOT is his model of the future - "Experimental Prototype Community of Tomorrow".

Fuller created the Dymaxion Map Projection because, let's face it, even cartographers know the flaws of the Mercator Projection. There are a variety of ways to translate a sphere onto a 2-dimensional projection. We are still using, on most maps, the Mercator Projection, created in the Age of Empires/Colonization, which oddly makes Europe look very big, and Africa very small. Funny that. The Dymaxion Map was Fuller's answer to that problem. It looks funny, but it's a 2D projection which if you pick it up & fold it, becomes a 3D representation.

Note: not a sphere, but as close as you can get from folding triangles together - an isocahedron.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:07 pm 
Board Emeritus

If the Earth is flat then why are the other worlds in our solar system round (spherical)? What forces are acting on our planet that would make it flat?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:10 pm 
Board Emeritus

I really wonder how many Flat Earthers have looked through a telescope at other planets.

Is the Moon really just a flat disc in the sky? The sun?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:18 am 

I really wonder how many Flat Earthers have looked through a telescope at other planets.

Is the Moon really just a flat disc in the sky? The sun?

are you kidding me i love this movie! a trip to the moon? wow.