RadioFreeLiberal.com

Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:00 pm 
Board Emeritus

This afternoon, Space X successfully launched a "heavy" into space. Everything looks to have functioned perfectly. I'm watching the event on MSNBC and it reminds me of the early manned space flights of the early and late 60s. The video feed of two side boosters separating and reentering the atmosphere is unbelievable. The side boosters simultaneously landed vertically which made it look almost like a science fiction movie.

Congratulations to Elon Musk and the Space X people.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:03 pm 
Board Emeritus

Agreed. I watched the launch as well. Impressive watching both boosters touch down at the same time.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:29 pm 
Board Emeritus

Watched it. Super cool.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:58 pm 
Board Emeritus

But the best is the payload. Its a candy apple red Tesla Roadster. A crash test dummy in a space suit behind the wheel. Now that's cool.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:20 pm 
Board Emeritus

Elon Musk is still selling this.

Don't call it a "flamethrower". No, it is, in fact, a "temperature enhancement device".

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:21 pm 
Board Emeritus

We need Flamethrowers in space though to fight off Aliens and Predators.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:29 pm 
Board Emeritus

Well, they should have given all those "colonists" in Alien: Covenant that and some other stuff.

I know, it's a trope of films like that that every single one of them must be an utter dumb ass, but come on. Those people weren't fit to colonize a Vegas motel, let alone an alien world.

On the plot -- I'll put that in a spoiler box.

It kind of retcons the narrative to have David wiping out the Engineers and then be the architect of the Xenomorph. That doesn't seem to make sense given the Space Jockey scene of the first Alien film. I get why Ridley Scott went that way, the whole theme of creations turning on their creators, although the story of what happened to Shaw is disappointing, and we never find out why the Engineers wanted to wipe us out in Prometheus. Maybe the sequel will retcon the retcon. :D

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:59 pm 
Board Emeritus

This afternoon, Space X successfully launched a "heavy" into space. Everything looks to have functioned perfectly. I'm watching the event on MSNBC and it reminds me of the early manned space flights of the early and late 60s. The video feed of two side boosters separating and reentering the atmosphere is unbelievable. The side boosters simultaneously landed vertically which made it look almost like a science fiction movie.

Congratulations to Elon Musk and the Space X people.

i think i looked and didnt see this thread tho.

yah i got to watch it LIVE while the msm was abouuuutt..2mins behind.
im still amazed by that landing. i dont think humans have ever done that before.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:00 pm 
Board Emeritus

Agreed. I watched the launch as well. Impressive watching both boosters touch down at the same time.

stunning!!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:57 pm 
Board Emeritus

stunning!!

Probably a couple of kids standing in the field landed those things with the same remotes they use to fly drones. :D :rw)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:28 pm 
Board Emeritus

Sorry, I ain't enamored of Elon Musk.

"No one is so foolish as to choose war over peace. In peace sons bury their fathers, in war fathers bury their sons." - Herodotus

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:03 am 
Board Emeritus

Location: Treasure Coast, Florida & Fairfield County, Connecticut
:arrow: I saw it from my backyard in Florida (I live two hrs away from the Space Coast). It was a small orange-yellow ball of fire with a swirly contrail. The contrail stayed in the sky for quite some time before it curved and dissipated as my photo shows.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:35 pm 
Board Emeritus

so...the boosters returned and landed safely but theres a rocket up there with a sports car on it
and its going around the moon a few times?....and, then what..im confused.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:17 pm 
Board Emeritus

Like the rocket. Think Musk is a creep of the sort that's ruined our country.

Liked his car in space, for a while, till the Nooz made it out like Sputnik or something.

Now just thinking, yeah, that sums up American business perfectly. Launch your fucking car into space.

"One bomb was shown on TV, and the American people bought that war. War is show business."
--"Wag the Dog"

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:23 pm 
Board Emeritus

again i ask....did the car and that rocket it was attached to did it remain in space orbiting the moon?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:33 pm 
Board Emeritus

I don't know where his damn car is. The photos look like some kind of Earth orbit. I'll have to check on whether it achieved escape velocity and is now headed off into space to follow Voyager into the great interstellar nowhere, or whether NORAD will have to publish orbital elements on it until it has the ultimate crash and burn somewhere high in our atmosphere.

"One bomb was shown on TV, and the American people bought that war. War is show business."
--"Wag the Dog"

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:51 pm 
Board Emeritus

I don't know where his damn car is. The photos look like some kind of Earth orbit. I'll have to check on whether it achieved escape velocity and is now headed off into space to follow Voyager into the great interstellar nowhere, or whether NORAD will have to publish orbital elements on it until it has the ultimate crash and burn somewhere high in our atmosphere.

thanks. thats why im confused. i got the impression today the car will go on thru space til the black hole
so the rocket is still up there...moving thru space...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:47 pm 
Board Emeritus

again i ask....did the car and that rocket it was attached to did it remain in space orbiting the moon?

It's going to circle the sun for awhile and then head into a Mars orbit that could last a billion years. It will be interesting in a couple of hundred years, if mankind makes it to Mars, whether they'll retrieve the car and examine what the effects of being in space so long has on the car.

UPDATE: It looks like it missed it's Mars orbit and it is now headed towards the asteroid belt and will take a close look a the dwarf planet Ceres.

Quote:
Oops.

The Tesla Roadster that Elon Musk blasted into space aboard the SpaceX Falcon Heavy rocket was supposed to head for orbit around Mars, but instead, it’s on a flight path expected to take it close to the dwarf planet Ceres, in the middle of our solar system’s asteroid belt.

“Exceeded Mars orbit and kept going to the Asteroid Belt.”
San Jose Mercury News

Last edited by Number6 on Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:52 pm 
Board Emeritus

The car and the crash test dummy wasn't the only thing Musk sent into space. He also included three "near indestructible" books by Issac Asimov's which form the basis of his [i]Foundation Trilogy[i/].
Quote:
This week’s Falcon Heavy rocket launch from Kennedy Space Center by Elon Musk and his SpaceX crew not only carried a cherry-red Tesla into space forever. It also brought along a digital surprise created by the Arch Mission Foundation: three close-to-indestructible copies of Isaac Asimov’s Foundation books, commonly called “The Foundation Trilogy.”

Why, you ask? Because, as the creators’ website explains, Arch (pronounced ark) “exists to help humanity preserve and spread its knowledge across vast distances of time and space. We believe that the purpose of life is to evolve and spread intelligence across the universe.”

San Jose Mercury News

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:40 pm 
Board Emeritus

i dont know what to think about this guy.

the team however, brought those boosters down perfectly, so kudos to them.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:51 am 
Board Emeritus

Location: Treasure Coast, Florida & Fairfield County, Connecticut
Like the rocket. Think Musk is a creep of the sort that's ruined our country.

Liked his car in space, for a while, till the Nooz made it out like Sputnik or something.

Now just thinking, yeah, that sums up American business perfectly. Launch your fucking car into space.

:arrow: I just liked the diversion in the news cycle that wasn't created by Trump and one of his gawd-awful tweets!!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:41 pm 
Board Emeritus

Got the poop. There were three burns. Escape velocity was exceeded. The Tesla roadster, basically a Lotus chassis with electric propulsion, is now the fastest car ever made. Indeed it was put in an attempted trans-Mars injection orbit which would have taken it to the Red Planet, just like the geeks were saying. Apparently ignition took place right over L.A., so to speak, and people who knew where and when to look saw it. The only ignition I saw was the fireworks at Disneyland, but so it goes.

A nominal orbit would have put the car somewhere near Mars, but that's "near" by space standards. I believe the chance of its actually reaching Mars orbit or hitting the planet was around one in a million. But the injection orbit wasn't nominal. The burn was too long, or something.

Then Musk said his former ride was headed for the asteroid belt. No, not there either. The current track sends it off into a highly elliptical solar orbit in the middle of nowhere, with aphelion out past Mars but nowhere near the asteroids. The solar system version of Nunes' district.

BTW Musk is a bastard to work for. He's your typical New Gilded Age entrepreneur out to recreate the universe in his image. Former employees are not complimentary.

Revised orbital elements exist on his car, for people who like to track things. It's object number 143205.

--"Wag the Dog"

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:21 pm 
Policy Wonk

I saw a Saturn rocket going to the moon lift off at Kennedy Space Center. It was so big that I could see it 5 miles away. Impressive.

It's cool people can do that.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:02 pm 
Policy Wonk

www.youtube.com Video from : www.youtube.com

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/961083704230674438

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:19 pm 
Board Emeritus

That orbit looks right, yes.

His car is faster than mine.

--"Wag the Dog"