RadioFreeLiberal.com

Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:00 pm 
Board Emeritus

Glen, I want a real infrastructure plan. That means, actual spending on infrastructure. We both agree this country's bridges, roads, tunnels, train tracks, etc. are in a bad way and need reinvestment.

I just want an actual plan that spends actual money on repairing, restoring, fixing, and upgrading that stuff. I don't care which party proposes it, that's not the issue.

However, what Trump proposed really puts most of the onus on a) already strapped states and b) private corporations, with privatization of previously public structures, which means we're going to see (as consumers/users) a lot of new tolls and fees.

Plus, I imagine once people dig into it, it will probably benefit directly Trump's properties and businesses somehow -- this just seems inevitable from Trumpco.

I don't give a shit who proposes it and it's not a matter of what party benefits from it. It's what this country needs.

As a Keynesian, I also think the secondary benefit of building a lot of that stimulus spending on infrastructure will also be that the government puts more people back to work, and really does what really does prime the economic pump. Unemployment might be low, and the lowest it's ever been for some minority groups, but despite Trump touting that, it's still higher for Blacks, Hispanics, and Native people (as three groups in particular) than it should be.

BTW, as an environmentalist, I also want an infrastructure plan that doesn't roll back environmental regulations and hurt the environment. In fact, we could get a win/win by investing in Green energy infrastructure, like solar, or conservation. But Trump isn't in to that. His version of economic development seems stuck in 1955 - more polluting factories, more coal. Oh, and working people = suburban white males.

Personally I believe the Trump "plan" is more a political cover than an actual plan. When we don't get a plan he now has an out. One that his followers [like my brother] will swallow hook line and sinker.

We are long past the time when our federal gas tax should have been raised. A 50CPG raise would raise the funds we need to rebuild and then maintain. The economic benefits would be hard to measure but, anyone who doubts they would be huge is just plain wrong. The supply chain it would create along with the actual construction jobs would be immense.

The two biggest issues that get my goat are infrastructure for which I equally blame both parties and healthcare which is the GOP's fault. A infrastructure bill that was paid for by gas taxes would benefit all of us. What a shame that a country founded by men who put their very lives and fortunes on the line is now governed by people who refuse to do the right thing. All for political reasons.

"within weeks of being rid of the likes of you, rid of every fucking one of you,we would begin to see what kind of country this ought to be" Ike Bana 6/14/18

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:04 am 
Board Emeritus

It's almost funny that the grifter confederate administration thinks it's a good idea to replace food stamps with government rations they're calling the new Blue Apron.

:roll:

Yes, I'm certain the government is going to be sending free range grass-fed pasture raised hand-crafted Niman Ranch beef (Blue Apron bought out NR) and fresh artisan local organic produce in spiffy little boxes to the hood, the barrio, the trailer park, and exurbia. :problem:

Almost funny. Almost.

Stop calling the cops on us.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:22 am 
Board Emeritus

It's almost funny that the grifter confederate administration thinks it's a good idea to replace food stamps with government rations they're calling the new Blue Apron.

:roll:

Yes, I'm certain the government is going to be sending free range grass-fed pasture raised hand-crafted Niman Ranch beef (Blue Apron bought out NR) and fresh artisan local organic produce in spiffy little boxes to the hood, the barrio, the trailer park, and exurbia. :problem:

Almost funny. Almost.

Special people, need special government deals. Read this article, FEMA Contract Called for 30 Million Meals for Puerto Ricans. 50,000 Were Delivered and think about what the hell was going on below the fold about that. https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/06/us/f ... -rico.html It connects the dots.

This Blue Apron thing is sort of an extension in concept of his infrastructure privatization plan scam.

Food stamps pay about a dollar something a meal directly to the poor people. This Blue Apron thing might get that amount spent by the government up to ten dollars a meal, and most of that would go to the special people, the poor would get less.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:31 am 
Board Emeritus

There is more to it than that. Special people, need special government deals. Read this article, FEMA Contract Called for 30 Million Meals for Puerto Ricans. 50,000 Were Delivered and think about what the hell was going on below the fold about that. https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/06/us/f ... -rico.html It connects the dots.

Yeah I saw that, and I think you're right.

Something similar happened with the contractor hired to rebuild the power grid. (Which I just read yesterday, crashed and burned, literally, in northern PR - not sure if it was these clowns.)

Puerto Rico just hired 2 contractors with little experience to fix its broken power grid - Vox

Classic, textbook-case grifting.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:53 am 
Board Emeritus

Yeah I saw that, and I think you're right.

Something similar happened with the contractor hired to rebuild the power grid. (Which I just read yesterday, crashed and burned, literally, in northern PR - not sure if it was these clowns.)

Puerto Rico just hired 2 contractors with little experience to fix its broken power grid - Vox

Classic, textbook-case grifting.

It's a good thing Trump is being contained as well as he is. When I think about what he wants to do compared to what he is likely to be able to do, I find I have a lot to be thankful for. :)

Democrats and the courts have done a lot to hamper his plans.

This blue apron thing will run into the wealthy people who already have the bite on the food stamp franchise. I'm talking about the people who own the supermarkets and food distributors like Super Value. If the food stamps stop that would put a pinch on them which would amount to 30% of what they have. I think this blue apron idea is dead on arrive.

I think the infrastructure plan is dead on arrival as well. I don't think Republicans could put it together before they would have to stop to run for reelection. All Democrats will have to do to kill it is slow it down.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:58 am 
Board Emeritus

Hey, occasionally a congressperson actually does their constitutionally mandated job. And occasionally there are corporatist Dems who vote for stuff I don’t support. You don’t see that out of Republicans except for chickenshits that aren’t running again because they know either

a) they would get their asses kicked by the Democrat
b) they would get primaried by their own party

A handful of Republicans found spines when the6 hand nothing more to gain and much to lose.

Helluva party to support.

Well bird...as we can always expect in the end, glen is handed his ass on a plate and he's gone from the thread on to his next trolling "both parties" bullshit somewhere else on the forum.

Last edited by Ike Bana on Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:07 am 
Board Emeritus

Well, to me that is just an extension of how Fla. and many other states are increasingly dictating to poor people how to use their food stamps. Now don't get me wrong. I agree you probably shouldn't be allowed to use them to buy licquor and beer or cigarettes. I get that. I also understand encouraging people to buy healthy and nutritious fresh food instead of junk food.

But, the rules here can be ridiculously strict. Can't buy a birthday cake. Ever! Not even on your kid's birthday!

So, to me, this 'plan' to make food stamps more like blue apron is just an extension of that conservative paternalism toward the poor philosophy. But now, we won't even tell you what to do with your food stamps. Nah, let's remove all choice from you. We decide what you eat, you can't be trusted to do it for yourself and your family. (Because conservatives don't like government in your life ... unless you're poor.) Instead, now, you'll get prepackaged meals, pre-delivered. And yeah, some private contractor (if not Blue Apron themselves) will be making out like bandits from this newest form of corporate welfare.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:25 pm 
Board Emeritus

IF the infrastructure is going to be privatized does this mean a company is going to buy that infrastructure or is the government going to give it to them for free?

thats a great question, isnt it.
and we'll get....crickets.
oh and rising food and living costs.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:37 pm 
Board Emeritus

Water can be water and wastewater. There are thousands and thousands of miles of buried water mains, wastewater sewers and stormwater sewers. There are always water mains breaking. There are corrosion issues in water and wastewater as well as infiltration of groundwater into sewer systems that increase the burden on treatment plants. Many cities end up under EPA consent decrees requiring rehabilitation of sewers, manholes, wet wells on into the treatment plants. This is business I work in.

oh i get it bird....i get that the plumbing of this country, all the stuff below ground, is old and
broken to breaking. most water lines below all metros and urban areas comes from 1910-1920's.

but theyre not going to fix any of that. the county the state the people have to pay for
the broken plumbing line by line.
rich people dont use that plumbing...if they did someone would fix it for them.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:49 pm 
Board Emeritus

Well, to me that is just an extension of how Fla. and many other states are increasingly dictating to poor people how to use their food stamps. Now don't get me wrong. I agree you probably shouldn't be allowed to use them to buy licquor and beer or cigarettes. I get that. I also understand encouraging people to buy healthy and nutritious fresh food instead of junk food.

But, the rules here can be ridiculously strict. Can't buy a birthday cake. Ever! Not even on your kid's birthday!

So, to me, this 'plan' to make food stamps more like blue apron is just an extension of that conservative paternalism toward the poor philosophy. But now, we won't even tell you what to do with your food stamps. Nah, let's remove all choice from you. We decide what you eat, you can't be trusted to do it for yourself and your family. (Because conservatives don't like government in your life ... unless you're poor.) Instead, now, you'll get prepackaged meals, pre-delivered. And yeah, some private contractor (if not Blue Apron themselves) will be making out like bandits from this newest form of corporate welfare.

Out this way, the foodies, who normally work my last nerve, really do have a point about "food deserts". They and community-based food justice types have been instrumental in at least making farmers markets take EBT, since a lot of the food shopping in the hood is a couple steps up from the food pantry.

Plenty of canned stuff, not a lot of fresh stuff, and by the time you get off work to go to the store, the produce has been way picked over. I see this even in my own neighborhood which is considered "desirable" even in this insane San Francisco economy.

In California, my region at least, a lot of the farmers markets now take EBT, which is great. But that means you have to get on the BART to the bus to the farmers market in the tony part of town that takes the EBT, and then make sure you don't buy too much to carry back home since you don't have $ for Lyft. :problem:

Conservatives love government overreach and the removal of "choice" from anyone who doesn't aspire to be like them. Ironically, this is how they define "freedom". If their precious taxes aren't going to the over-policing and government micromanagement of low-income, minority, formerly-incarcerated, veterans, and any mix of the above, they get very nervous and angry.