RadioFreeLiberal.com

Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:56 pm 
Board Emeritus

Austin, TX has been the scene of three bombings this month. The first bombing, on March 2nd, killed a 39-year old man and today, there were two bombings today killing a 17-year old male and injuring a 70-year old female with life threatening injuries. Two of the bombings involved African-Americans so the police are not ruling it out has a hate crime. Police are warning residents to be suspicious of any package and to call them if you're not expecting a delivery.
Quote:
An Austin teenager was killed and a woman was injured early Monday when a package left on their doorstep exploded, marking the second deadly package explosion in the Texas capital in two weeks.

Austin Police Chief Brian Manley said the two incidents displayed enough similarities to investigate them together. Since both victims were African-Americans, Manley said investigators are also viewing the attacks as potential hate crimes.

The first case, which killed 39-year-old Anthony Stephan House, was initially ruled a suspicious death. But once the second bomb exploded Monday morning, police reclassified House's death as a homicide and added it to a broader investigation.

In Monday's case, a 17-year-old male and an "adult female" found a package on their doorstep and opened it inside their kitchen. Neighbors called police at 6:44 a.m. after hearing an explosion inside the house.
USA Today

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:51 am 
Board Emeritus

Austin is suppose to be this Progressive Island in a Sea of Republican Red. I've never been to Texas and never had any desire to go. I hope the Police in Austin get to bottom of this soon.

Glenfs posted about the Left's War On Women. Glenfs posted this after the Cosby Verdict "Gloria Allred is a media hound and an asshole. The most dangerous place to be is inbetween her and a microphone or camera". 04/27/2018.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:30 pm 
Board Emeritus

It is. I've been there. It's a wonderfully liberal town. Great Tex-Mex food. Lots of zine publishers. (Or were. The scene was back in the 90s). Great indy music scene. And a bridge with lots of bats that hang out underneath.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:38 pm 
Policy Wonk

It is. I've been there. It's a wonderfully liberal town. Great Tex-Mex food. Lots of zine publishers. (Or were. The scene was back in the 90s). Great indy music scene. And a bridge with lots of bats that hang out underneath.
Yep. Great place. There's Austin (and arguably parts of San Antonio) and then there's the rest of Texas.
Dont forget the great BBQ as well... Every year South x Southwest Festival...music, tech, all types of things.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:39 pm 
Board Emeritus

SXSW is still going on this week.

My money is on racist attacks.

Stop calling the cops on us.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:22 am 
Board Emeritus

Austin Package Bombs Appear to Be Targeting Prominent Black Families - NY Mag

Quote:
Though the Austin police agree that the bombings are related, they haven’t suggested a motive. They also haven’t said whether they think the victims were personally targeted. But interim Austin police chief Brian Manley did tell reporters this week that they’re not ruling out the possibly “that hate crime is at the core of this.”

Mason, 17, was a musician who was set to enroll at the University of Texas Butler School of Music. His grandmother LaVonne Mason is a co-founder of the Austin Area Urban League. House, 39, was a father and founder of his own money-management firm. His stepfather, Freddie Dixon, who is close with Mason’s grandparents, was the longtime pastor at Wesley United Methodist Church, a historic black church that was founded by newly freed slaves.

Dixon told the Washington Post that he doesn’t think the victims’ history is a coincidence. “Somebody’s done their homework on both of us, and they knew what they were doing,” he said. “My diagnosis: Number one, I think it’s a hate crime. Number two, somebody’s got some kind of vendetta here.”

Investigators have begun looking into the connection between the Mason and House families, attempting to see if the victims’ relationships to “prominent members of Austin’s African-American community” is related to the bombings, the Austin American-Statesman reported on Wednesday.

Well. Let's hope the NAACP is wrong. However, this is classic, old-school KKK MO.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:45 am 
Board Emeritus

Maybe they can find a church with little girls to bomb. It’s what they do!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:39 am 
Policy Wonk

maybe is about expanding police powers in regards to private packages.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:38 pm 
Board Emeritus

Another explosion at a home, now in SW Austin

EMS responding to possible home explosion in southwest Austin - KWTX

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:37 pm 
Board Emeritus

Investigators Say Austin 'Serial Bomber' May Have Used Tripwire In Latest Blast - NPR

Quote:
Authorities say a fourth device that exploded in Austin, Texas, this month indicates a "serial bomber" — and one who is more sophisticated than the earlier bombs suggested.

Austin Chief of Police Brian Manley said Monday that investigators believe a tripwire might have been used in the device that exploded in a Southwest Austin neighborhood on Sunday night, injuring two men.

Austin Police Warn People To Avoid Packages After 4th Explosion Injures 2
THE TWO-WAY
Austin Police Warn People To Avoid Packages After 4th Explosion Injures 2
"The belief that we are now dealing with someone who is using tripwires shows a higher level of sophistication, a higher level of skill," he said, adding that if residents see suspicious objects that look out of place, "Do not even approach it, but instead call 911."

The fourth device exploded in the Travis Country neighborhood, which adjoins the Barton Creek Greenbelt. Two young men were walking along a sidewalk or the grassy area along it when they apparently tripped a wire, causing the bomb placed along a fence to detonate.

The explosion came a day after Austin police arrested a man for emailing a bomb threat to the Fair Market in East Austin on Saturday evening, forcing the cancellation of a concert by The Roots at the South by Southwest festival. Police charged 26-year-old Trevor Weldon Ingram with making a terroristic threat, which is a third-degree felony, punishable by up to 10 years in prison.

According to The Austin-American Statesman, a representative of the event promotion company Live Nation Music called the police to report the company had received a bomb threat via email at 4:23 p.m. Central time on Saturday. Officers checked the concert venue, but found nothing suspicious. Police took Ingram into custody at 11:15 p.m. Saturday night.

Dunno who's doing it, but the Unabomber sure does come to mind.

Last edited by carmenjonze on Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:40 pm 
Board Emeritus

Related? Dunno..

Man accused of making SXSW bomb threat vowed to ‘watch everyone die,’ affidavit says - Statesman

Quote:
An arrest affidavit made public on Monday said the producer called police after receiving two emails from a Gmail account belonging to “t9ingram” just after 3 p.m. Saturday.

The first email said “F*** u I’m gonna pant a bomb and watch everyone die,” misspelling the word “plant.”

The second email said only “BOMB,” the affidavit said.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:57 am 
Board Emeritus

The package is believed to have been on its way to Austin.

Explosion rattles shipping facility near San Antonio, days after Austin bombings - ABC

Quote:
An explosion has taken place at a mail facility near San Antonio, Texas, just two days after a bomb went off in Austin, Texas -- the fourth such bombing in the city this month.

According to Schertz police, the explosion took place at a FedEx distribution facility in Schertz, Texas, just after midnight on Tuesday. Schertz is about 65 miles southwest of Austin.

According to police, who spoke with San Antonio ABC affiliate KSAT, a medium-sized box exploded at the facility.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:12 am 
Board Emeritus

Lets not forget that Austin is the Capital City of Texas. Which gives a much wider range of possible suspects.

"within weeks of being rid of the likes of you, rid of every fucking one of you,we would begin to see what kind of country this ought to be" Ike Bana 6/14/18

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:51 pm 
Board Emeritus

Lets not forget that Austin is the Capital City of Texas. Which gives a much wider range of possible suspects.

Not to mention its reputation as the most liberal city in Texas.

Interesting, when you consider this: How Austin Became Segregated: The City Plan of 1928 - The Clio

One gets the sense that it doesn't take much to be considered "liberal" in Segregation, USA. :problem:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:52 pm 
Board Emeritus

No. 6, this time, at a Goodwill

New reported package explosion in Austin injures 1, officials say - ABC

Quote:
Yet another reported package explosion injured one person in Austin, Texas, Tuesday evening, as law enforcement hunts for a serial bomber that authorities have said is connected to at least six devices.

The explosion occurred at a Goodwill store on Brodie Lane, the Austin Fire Department said. Police and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives are on the scene, and fire crews are evacuating the building.

"We have also confirmed that the individual responsible [for Tuesday's package bomb] also shipped a second package that has now been secured and turned over to law enforcement," FedEx said in its statement but did not reveal which of its facilities the package was discovered in.

The two sources confirmed to ABC News the undetonated package was discovered at an Austin facility.

Imagine how many coronaries American cons would have had by now, if stupid ISIS claimed responsibility for these packages. :problem:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:21 am 
Policy Wonk

AUSTIN, Texas (Reuters) - A man suspected of a series of deadly bombings around Austin, Texas, blew himself up early on Wednesday on the side of a highway as police closed in on him, police officials said.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-texa ... SKBN1GX0YG

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:15 am 
Board Emeritus

White male targeting blacks. Of course, no conservative outlet will use the word "terrorist".

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:21 am 
Policy Wonk

Suspect identified as white man, 24

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:44 pm 
Board Emeritus

Suspect's parents identified as being home schooling Christians who were overachievers with Amway. :|

Folks who know all about package delivery.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:54 pm 
Board Emeritus

I'm wondering about the timing of the attacks to coincide with SXSW. Anyone following that idea?

The Goodwill incident is likely a copycat. Someone "donated" two pyrotechnic devices used by the military to simulate artillery.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:54 pm 
Board Emeritus

Suspect's parents identified as being home schooling Christians who were overachievers with Amway. :|

Folks who know all about package delivery.

Really? Did Amway ever sell any actual products?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:09 pm 
Board Emeritus

The link has a stupid sub-headline: Suspect, who suffered significant injuries from the blast, was killed

It doesn't matter if the injuries were significant because he's dead. Now if he were still live then the significant injuries would be worth noting.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:18 pm 
Board Emeritus

Really? Did Amway ever sell any actual products?

Ha, yeah they do. My parents were Amway "distributors" for years. Amway is one of the deeply personal reasons I cannot stand Betsy DeVos. Not just because my parents sold their dorky products or even their business model, but because of their ties to rw extremism. Oh and direct marketing, which gave rise to the religious and teaparty right that we know now.

It's the precursor to what we're seeing with C.A./Facebook, too.

Anyway, that's OT but maybe not.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:22 pm 
Board Emeritus

> Suspect, who suffered significant injuries from the blast, was killed

That seems to be in all the Nooz reports, as maybe the cops said it.

Yes, death is a significant injury. I guess they wanted to make sure people didn't think the cops whacked him, though I wouldn't have cared if SWAT had done just that.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:28 pm 
Board Emeritus

Ha, yeah they do. My parents were Amway "distributors" for years. Amway is one of the deeply personal reasons I cannot stand Betsy DeVos. Not just because my parents sold their dorky products or even their business model, but because of their ties to rw extremism. Oh and direct marketing, which gave rise to the religious and teaparty right that we know now.

It's the precursor to what we're seeing with C.A./Facebook, too.

Anyway, that's OT but maybe not.

In the early 80s, I had an assignment to Germany and about a month before leaving an NCO I knew wanted to talk to me about a business opportunity. It turned out he wanted me to be an Amway distributor in Germany. I listened to the sales pitch and how the company worked but I turned him down because it was set up more like a Ponzi scheme than anything else. The only way to really make money with them was to become a regional manager meaning for every sale you made the person who recruited and the persons above them made a commission off your sale. I still look at businesses that are set up like that as Ponzi schemes.